REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

EvoFire 02-16-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 9054755)
So my son tested positive with a rapid anti-gen test last night.

When I picked him up from daycare yesterday they said he had been low energy all day, didn't want to participate and didn't eat his whole lunch. So they gave me the test to take home.

(I think the process of sticking the swab up his nose traumatized him, he was so freaked out we had to hold him down to do it and he hyperventilated for like 5 minutes after)

It's weird because we don't really see any other outward symptoms, he seemed totally fine in the morning, and even last evening he's not really coughing, no temperature, no congestion. This morning he's obviously staying home but he seems totally fine, plenty of energy today.

Is there a decent chance of false positives with the rapid tests?

So far the experiences (from us and other friends who's kids got covid) have been one bad day/night and then it's not much thereafter. My son is on the 4th day of showing symptoms of covid and a positive test. He has a runny nose and a little bit of coughing here and there. He has a thing where everytime he has a runny nose he gets post nasal drip coughing so we aren't even sure if the coughing is from covid.

Good luck with it though. We got it from my son even though we can't be tested. We are triple vaxxed and aren't really showing any symptoms other than a itchy throat for my wife and a runny nose for me. One thing is though we are both very tired. Having to keep my son at home, while trying to work, while having covid is extremely taxing.

Great68 02-16-2022 09:16 AM

Thanks, yeah we got boosted a few weeks ago and don't feel a thing.

We find it weird because there was a week just after the Christmas break where all 3 of us actually did have some fairly substantial symptoms and figured that we actually contracted Omicron then.
I guess maybe that wasn't the case back then.

EvoFire 02-16-2022 11:59 AM

^ We had exactly the same scare right around new years where all three of us were sick with different symptoms that all matched covid. Seems like it wasn't the case either.

320icar 02-16-2022 01:40 PM

Or you guys all got sick again

EvoFire 02-16-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 9054809)
Or you guys all got sick again

3 separate rapidtests for me, all negative, just some dumb cold I guess.

PeanutButter 02-17-2022 12:14 PM

Is anyone willing to travel right now?

I just found out Cabos is only a 4h direct flight from YVR

Now that restrictions are lifted, I feel like that's the best bang for your buck

Hondaracer 02-17-2022 12:25 PM

Going to Playa in early March

Fucking govt. bullshit though is pissing me off.. so I’m trying to cover all my bases and potentially purchase an antigen kit prior to going down you do over Skype etc. a bunch of local places sell them.

So I look through a shit load of different govt. websites and this is the line that I get

Quote:

Travellers can instead opt for a cheaper rapid antigen test approved by the country they are coming from,
So instead of buying one in Canada I need one approved in Mexico in order to come back to Canada? And the one I buy preemptively from a lab IN CANADA which is also associated with aircansda and aeroplan might not be accepted at the Mexican airport

Fuck right off you fucking clowns. You announce all this shit and then leave it as vague as possible ffs..

HonestTea 02-17-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 9054927)

Now that restrictions are lifted, I feel like that's the best bang for your buck

Europe in May

PeanutButter 02-17-2022 12:44 PM

I thought PCR tests are not needed anymore?

westopher 02-17-2022 12:45 PM

Antigen tests still are. It just made it slightly cheaper and the exact same amount of hassle.

Hondaracer 02-17-2022 12:57 PM

I’m some ways it’s even more hassle because the antigen test needs to be done within 24 hours of flying instead of 72 like the PCR was

acrophobia 02-17-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 9054927)

Maui in late March. I need to get out of this f—king winter and make some vitamin D.

JDMDreams 02-17-2022 07:21 PM

You mean get some d :ifyouknow::troll:

Twi7ch 02-17-2022 10:53 PM

Cancun in March. I hope people keep living in fear, less tourists everywhere I go [emoji106]

inv4zn 02-18-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9054930)
Going to Playa in early March

Fucking govt. bullshit though is pissing me off.. so I’m trying to cover all my bases and potentially purchase an antigen kit prior to going down you do over Skype etc. a bunch of local places sell them.

So I look through a shit load of different govt. websites and this is the line that I get

So instead of buying one in Canada I need one approved in Mexico in order to come back to Canada? And the one I buy preemptively from a lab IN CANADA which is also associated with aircansda and aeroplan might not be accepted at the Mexican airport

Fuck right off you fucking clowns. You announce all this shit and then leave it as vague as possible ffs..

I think the purpose of this (as little as it is) is to stop people buying 'no-name' brands which could just be a pregnancy test or whatever, and then doing a shitty job actually taking the test.

If you're going to Mexico a lot of the resorts have it in their best interest to meet these requirements (Canada is a huge market after all), so just check with your resort. If all else fails you can still do the PCR in Mexico, so nothing's really changed other than Canada giving you another option.

westopher 02-18-2022 09:34 AM

I think the point is, the test is all but useless other than for the sake of transmission on the airplane. Covid is here, and it’s here as fuck. I’ve said it before, but I’ll reiterate. I have the same chance of getting it from someone at work, at the grocery store, etc as I do from the beach in Mexico, or at a restaurant in Seattle.
We aren’t preventing it from entering our borders.
If anyone needs me I’ll be in my parking garage honking my horn incessantly until the border testing is lifted.

MarkyMark 02-18-2022 09:37 AM

Yeah I'm going to Mexico in April and hoping all this testing bullshit will be over by then.

The Producer 02-18-2022 10:21 AM

i can't afford to miss the extra week of work that getting stuck somewhere would entail so no travel for me until we're past this nonsense phase.

I've got 3 friends stuck in mexico right now. All 3 tested positive on the outbound. Must be nice - another week away from the kids, jobs still paying. Sipping margs in the hot tub that definitely give them a worse hang over than any covid symptom.

This shit is ridiculous at this point.

Hondaracer 02-18-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 9055062)
I think the purpose of this (as little as it is) is to stop people buying 'no-name' brands which could just be a pregnancy test or whatever, and then doing a shitty job actually taking the test.

If you're going to Mexico a lot of the resorts have it in their best interest to meet these requirements (Canada is a huge market after all), so just check with your resort. If all else fails you can still do the PCR in Mexico, so nothing's really changed other than Canada giving you another option.

What I’m more annoyed at is that I can’t buy these “approved” tests that are affiliated with aircanada and aeroplan, and have a Canadian doctor or nurse on Skype who oversees it and gives me the results in writing

Rather, I have to use a test “approved” in the departing country, ie. Mexico. The brand or quality of test seems to have nothing to do with it other than the Mexican authorities at the airport probably can’t deal with random tests from who knows where as you said, so the Canadian govt. basically passes the buck off to the departing authority. Even though I’m flying back into Canada, on a Canadian carrier.

inv4zn 02-18-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9055077)
What I’m more annoyed at is that I can’t buy these “approved” tests that are affiliated with aircanada and aeroplan, and have a Canadian doctor or nurse on Skype who oversees it and gives me the results in writing

Rather, I have to use a test “approved” in the departing country, ie. Mexico. The brand or quality of test seems to have nothing to do with it other than the Mexican authorities at the airport probably can’t deal with random tests from who knows where as you said, so the Canadian govt. basically passes the buck off to the departing authority. Even though I’m flying back into Canada, on a Canadian carrier.

I haven't flown in years so I don't know, but is it really the Mexican authorities who check? I thought it was the airline on behalf of the country you're trying to enter?

Hondaracer 02-18-2022 10:39 AM

I haven’t flown internationally since and when I went to Toronto and Montreal in the summer they hadn’t brought in those measures yet regarding fully vaccinated flying etc.

But I’d think sunwing, air Canada, etc. would be the ones checking the test so it kind of makes even less sense of the wording regarding the departing country

mikemhg 02-18-2022 12:01 PM

Mexico doesn't check, the airline does.

Honestly, the guy/gal at the airline counter doesn't give a fuck :lol

They barely reviewed my PCR test on the way home, I could have doctored the thing easily. No scanning or confirmation of anything, you could construct a phony PDF at this point.

You want a PDF of my test for a template, hit me up.

They don't even lock the PDF itself from the clinic I went to, fully editable :lol

#Safety.

Hondaracer 02-18-2022 12:14 PM

Yea was thinking just bring computer down for some photoshop..

StylinRed 02-18-2022 12:21 PM

My test in NY was just a letter, there was no letterhead no charts/graphics

Looked like someone just typed up a letter on a blank paper

And no one asked to look at it either so it really felt like a moneygrab/waste of my time n money, and that was several months back when everyone took covid more seriously than now :/

mikemhg 02-18-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 9055095)
Yea was thinking just bring computer down for some photoshop..

Do it, honestly.

I had mine edited and ready just in case my 2nd PCR came back positive before the flight, alas it didn't anyways.

Had a known that process was so wishy washy, I would've just used my first negative test from 10 days prior, with the dates changed.

Save the $70 for another few bottles of Don Julio :lol