REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
coronavirus discussion

Seems like no one really posted this up I though I would. Is Canadian gov doing enough to prevent people with the coronavirus from entering Canada? I feel like any passenger coming from China needs to have their temperature check at the very least before entering Canada. Since there isn't a direct flight from Wuhan to Canada there is no telling who might be from Wuhan or have visited Wuhan before coming to Canada. Also with Chinese new year coming up a lot of Chinese tourist will be visiting Canada.

Wife and I are going back to China Beijing in March she seems a bit worry but I feel like as long as you are a healthy person, wash your hands, stay away from hospital basically common sense it should be fine.

It is Chinese new year soon so millions and millions of Chinese will be traveling though trains and air plane so it could spread to other cities in China very quickly.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
First confirmed case in the USA: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/death...uhan-1.5434256

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i had no idea SARS in 03 killed 40+ canadians
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Good thing there's no more tourism in Hong Kong
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Seems like no one really posted this up I though I would. Is Canadian gov doing enough to prevent people with the coronavirus from entering Canada? I feel like any passenger coming from China needs to have their temperature check at the very least before entering Canada. Since there isn't a direct flight from Wuhan to Canada there is no telling who might be from Wuhan or have visited Wuhan before coming to Canada. Also with Chinese new year coming up a lot of Chinese tourist will be visiting Canada.

Wife and I are going back to China Beijing in March she seems a bit worry but I feel like as long as you are a healthy person, wash your hands, stay away from hospital basically common sense it should be fine.

It is Chinese new year soon so millions and millions of Chinese will be traveling though trains and air plane so it could spread to other cities in China very quickly.
CBC interviews with doctors with Public Health Agency of Canada said that the temp checks at the airports didn't end up catching any cases during SARS, and the costs to do so would be better spent at the local hospitals. They're checking temps as needed based on the initial CBSA screening.

Makes sense to me. Screening everyone and checking body temps may look good , but wastes resources and may be ineffective. Airport screening would only catch anyone who's currently ill. Case in point, the US case. Traveller was asymptomatic when he came through the airport Wed. Felt ill Sunday, and contacted medical help.

Last edited by Mikoyan; 01-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 01-21-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: banned from thread
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I’m actually extremely worried. Both my wife and I work in Richmond (I think you all know where), and she is 5 months pregnant.

I think we are some of the highest risk people in all of Canada.

Last edited by 320icar; 01-21-2020 at 10:35 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
^not to mention the Air China tour groups that go to the Richmond Costco. Plus the regular crowd :notlikethis:
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
300 cases according to the chinese government... times that number by 10 is probably the amount of cases in chinar

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
For those with relative in China. People are hoarding N95 mask for resell. These mask have a five year self life, a lot of the mask being sold for $$$$ on taboo are expired or not even real N95 mask.

Resellers are starting to hoard up mask here as well. Might be worthwhile to hoard some yourself to send back to relatives.

major minus point for the Chinese government. They learn nothing from SARS. This was known in early December and instead of trying to prevent it from spreading they focus their resources on the cover up once again.

negative social credit for you CCP!!!!
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #12

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
we hear the name for it,but is there any cure for it?

i was reading a 30 year old guy died from it
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #13

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #14

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
we hear the name for it,but is there any cure for it?

i was reading a 30 year old guy died from it

Your answer at 4:33 mark
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6k9phv0pa6c41.jpg (76.4 KB, 0 views)
shabusen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #16
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I’m actually extremely worried. Both my wife and I work in Richmond (I think you all know where), and she is 5 months pregnant.

I think we are some of the highest risk people in all of Canada.
I think it will be ok. Maybe have your wife avoid places with crowd if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
^not to mention the Air China tour groups that go to the Richmond Costco. Plus the regular crowd :notlikethis:
Actually air China is offering refund on to tickets purchase before Jan 2020. Co Worker is going back Wuhan in March but might change her plan. Her mom is there and according to her there is a lot of information blackout happening. Lots of hospital are actually full currently, and they have police at the hospital anyone who isn't a paitent, visiting a patient, works there the police are forcing you to leave or arrest you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
For those with relative in China. People are hoarding N95 mask for resell. These mask have a five year self life, a lot of the mask being sold for $$$$ on taboo are expired or not even real N95 mask.

Resellers are starting to hoard up mask here as well. Might be worthwhile to hoard some yourself to send back to relatives.

major minus point for the Chinese government. They learn nothing from SARS. This was known in early December and instead of trying to prevent it from spreading they focus their resources on the cover up once again.

Not sure how effective the mask is. After my infections I ask the doctors about mask. He just said most mask aren't effective and those that are people wore them wrong so is pretty useless.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
shits gonna skyrocket this weekend when lunar new year hits
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #18
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Pneumonia is not pretty. I’ve had it twice. (You are more susceptible after your first go). It kills people all the time, but generally those with weak immunity. 320 if you or your wife start to get run down, take it easy and don’t let it get the better of you. Wash your hands often and do your own due diligence, you will be fine. With the little one on the way, certainly take your precautions but honestly until this comes over and becomes a real issue, you don’t have much to worry about. I don’t think there have been any travel advisories yet.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #19

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Maybe I'm OCD with any kind of bacteria, I normally use some hand sanitizer right when I get into the office everyday and wash my hands right when I get home.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-01-22 at 3.12.17 PM.jpg (73.2 KB, 0 views)
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

N95 masks need to be properly fitted through testing for it to work as intended. There are more than 1 kind of N95.
There's also been research that regular masks with added tissue paper can filter up to 90%
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #22

^^ seems like a lot of places in Van is out of N95 mask, superstore, london drugs, shoppers, T and T etc etc
people must be buying them and shipping to China and see for profit.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
N95 masks need to be properly fitted through testing for it to work as intended. There are more than 1 kind of N95.
There's also been research that regular masks with added tissue paper can filter up to 90%
It's all about fitting it properly.

N95 standard is to test how a mask can filter when it comes to particles of 0.3μm or bigger, the 95 stands for 95%, N99 for 99 and N100 for 99.7%.

Source: my cousin who's an MD and worked during the SARS period.

During SARS, where N95 supply ran low (both in qty and logistical difficulties), my cousin would substitute their usual surgical N95 mask to whatever available at the time. As long as the fitting is right, it would do the same job. "Surgical" ones were reserved for surgical rooms as they have some extras in material and design for a sterile environment like surgical room, hence the designation "surgical".

Thus, for anyone who will be traveling or work in places with a high possibility of pathogen contact (airport), just grab a box of N95 for sanding and shit from HD or your fav hardware store. Only thing... learn to FIT IT PROPERLY!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #24
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
17 deaths world wide = panic panic panic!!

How many people in the same time frame died from regular flu? hundreds? Thousands?

:/
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #25
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,707 Times in 3,133 Posts
^so true hahaha. Even better if those non vax parents are now interacting with chinese kids. the fearmongering will be insane.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: