REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #201
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Which dealership did you order it from?

This one is an interesting one but I'm iffy on dipping my toe into the waters as it is a first model year.

I put my deposit down via Toyota Port Moody. I'm a bit iffy too since I originally wanted one with the factory performance package (mainly for the bigger brakes). I'm just worried about the visibility of the digital dash in bright sunlight. I don't think it's bright enough.

I want to keep the car in the long run (5+ years) and plan to track it so resale value is a lower priority.
Advertisement
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #202
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
it's not a clean sheet design, the motor and body are already well-documented
The first model year sometimes has to deal with headaches from parts that end up only used for that one year though. Like different brakes or a different entertainment system or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #203
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I put my deposit down via Toyota Port Moody. I'm a bit iffy too since I originally wanted one with the factory performance package (mainly for the bigger brakes). I'm just worried about the visibility of the digital dash in bright sunlight. I don't think it's bright enough.

I want to keep the car in the long run (5+ years) and plan to track it so resale value is a lower priority.
Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't mind a previous generation FR-S/BRZ as a fun toy car to throw on a set of Ohlins Road & Track coilovers on to have some fun, but man, they don't come cheap. But if the GR86 is the bee knees, sign me up! But I'm just not ready to dive in head first.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:29 AM   #204
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Early adopters always get fucked. Never pay to be the guinea pig.
So true! 2020 Supra owners be like

Now that I've ruled out an ND2, this takes top spot (maybe an S2K but unlikely). Not sure how to feel about owning a first year with this one though. In some ways I don't care, but I'm still kinda on the fence and want to spectate for a minute. I'd like to see a performance pack similar the ND2 GS with wheels, brakes, seats, maybe some slight aero.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #205

Subaru Canada is offering a $500 "Holiday Bonus" on top of their lower pricing. I guess they really messed up the front end styling and are trying to push buyers towards the brand based on pricing alone.

Based on the old FRS/GT86, they got the performance pack a couple years in. I'm looking forward to see the accessories that are offered. So far on the Subaru, there are things like short shifters and STI aero
Old 11-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #206
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
So true! 2020 Supra owners be like

Now that I've ruled out an ND2, this takes top spot (maybe an S2K but unlikely). Not sure how to feel about owning a first year with this one though. In some ways I don't care, but I'm still kinda on the fence and want to spectate for a minute. I'd like to see a performance pack similar the ND2 GS with wheels, brakes, seats, maybe some slight aero.
What made you rule out the ND2? I'm thinking of picking one up during the spring time. I think right now they're selling out the remaining 2021 MY cars.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...402120370.html

Sport Tech is under $33k before tax. It's making me reconsider an ND (though I really just want the convertible experience).

Last edited by jaaagman; 11-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
jaaagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #207
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
test drive both

if daily, get the 86
if 2nd car and can fit in it, get the ND
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaagman View Post
What made you rule out the ND2?
The twitchy rear end comments, the interior space, and overall just being a tiny car. Still love them, just not for me.

I wonder how long until there's a supercharger option for the 2.4L. I recall there being like 3 or more different options for the previous gen 2.0L.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #209
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
I looked into SC's on the previous motor and they pretty much all fail not that long after being supercharged... so was not a viable power option in my opinion on that car... hopefully the 2.4 is a better engine.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #210
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I looked into SC's on the previous motor and they pretty much all fail not that long after being supercharged... so was not a viable power option in my opinion on that car... hopefully the 2.4 is a better engine.
Isn't the 2.4 based on the turbo 2.4 that's in the bigger subies? Assuming the internals are similar, it should be suitable for forced induction.
jaaagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The SC's and turbo kits were crazy expensive too.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #212

Thanked 1,699 Times in 877 Posts
Is this expensive? Let's call it $5000 + install.

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/hks-...-fr-s-brz.html

Doesn't seem that bad considering nice wheels and tires and coilovers are around that price already. And this is by Hks pretty top of the line JDM YO and I trust is not some DIY poor fitting eBay kit that you have to piece together.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
The twitchy rear end comments, the interior space, and overall just being a tiny car. Still love them, just not for me.

I wonder how long until there's a supercharger option for the 2.4L. I recall there being like 3 or more different options for the previous gen 2.0L.
This. The GR86 is borderline too small for my use case (I'm in the electrical trade) but there isn't another fun to drive new sports car out there for around 30k.

I test drove the 2022 BRZ today at OpenRoad Subaru and walked away with mixed thoughts. Yes, the car feels so direct - steering is heavy and communicative (feels like my old Evo X with track day setup). The clutch is pretty light and grabs pretty low.

I felt a bit of clutch delay? Maybe there is a clutch delay valve installed. The stock shifter has a very short throw but feels chunky - typical WRX/STI/Evo heaviness; it doesn't have that elegance/smoothness associate with the new Civic Type R or S2000. I originally thought there was an STI Short Throw Shifter installed but turns out it was the stock.

The BRZ's soundtrack doesn't match the performance - it sounded quite underwhelming and lacked sportiness/urgency. Yes, the higher the revs, the louder the sounds were. Perhaps it was engine sound speaker playing tricks on my senses. I wanted the engine to sing like the K20 (Civic Si motor) or the H22 (Euro R motor).

To sum up, my senses were very confused because the chassis and suspension is great and so is the power from the engine. It's just the heaviness of the steering wheel, the grittiness of the shifter, and the lack of sport car sounds makes me question if this is the right car for me.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #214
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
crisp shifts and revvy soundtrack

might have to settle for an old si

they just don’t make them like that anymore

integra full reveal is this week but don’t hold your breath?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-08-2021 at 08:22 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
crisp shifts and revvy soundtrack

might have to settle for an old si

they just don’t make them like that anymore
yep or the next best thing would be a Cayman GT4
Old 11-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #216

Thanked 1,699 Times in 877 Posts
Cough 400z? But I doubt it's anywhere near $30k
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Is this expensive? Let's call it $5000 + install.

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/hks-...-fr-s-brz.html

Doesn't seem that bad considering nice wheels and tires and coilovers are around that price already. And this is by Hks pretty top of the line JDM YO and I trust is not some DIY poor fitting eBay kit that you have to piece together.
That says it's just for the supercharger though? You'll need an intercooler, install, and tuning at a minimum, and it lists their I/H/E as well to make the power they list. When I looked into it before iirc you'd be lucky to get out the door with any of those kits for under $10k. That seems like a lot to spend on what was supposed to be a cheap car, just to make 250hp and apparently turn your engine into a time bomb.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:05 AM   #218

Great review jcmaz! Thanks for sharing. Good to hear the chassis and motor felt solid. Perhaps the aftermarket can address the steering, shifting, and noises. It sounds like it's a great starting point.

Having had an 07 STI in the past, but being a Honda fanboi, I can say that I wouldn't expect a Boxer motor to have the same feel as a legendary high revving Honda motor. Revving out a B or K is an absolute symphony of perfectly balanced engineering. Revving out an EJ257 felt like it could pop at any moment in the higher revs. There was a level of confidence that just wasn't there at say 5K and up with the latter motor. I have little to no experience with the previous FRS/86/BRZ though. Not hip to reliability, reaction to power mods/gearing changes, etc. Surprised to hear that the SC's shortened engine life substantially.

Still stoked to see these things on track and modded. The car configuration itself is rare in this day and age, so it even existing is something to be excited about, even if it does lack in some areas.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #219
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8TaBAHg/

Looks like someone sent their BRZ down to Evasive Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #220

Toyota GR86 is out on the Toyota website. $34,490 plus tax and fees for the fully loaded Premium MT trim. So basically 41k out the door cash pricing. This almost makes me want to pay more and get the upcoming Type R instead.

At least I know it will hold it's value well compared to the 86 lol

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/gr86/overview

Word on the street is that the active engine sound can be switch off via the dealers. For those who DIY, there is an amp on the passenger side dash that can be unplugged.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #221
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
I feel like that line arching over the front fenders toward the vent on the GR looks extremely awkward... makes the front wheel look small and gappy. Have to see one in person.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #222
RS Veteran

Holy, 5.99% interest.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #223
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
That

And also costing more than a BRZ when they're virtually the same car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #224
RS Veteran

Comparing lease/finance rates between Toyota and Subaru, Subaru's highest interest rate is 3.99%. That's a 2% savings. Toyota, WTF?
Old 12-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #225

There's a $500 Holiday Bonus with the Subaru as well. I had to adjust my mindset. Only $3k more for a unique Neptune Blue colour and better looking from bumper amiright ::