REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 09-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #601
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I didn't even realize some convertible seats require you to rethread the harness to adjust the height. We've got two of the Graco Extend2Fit and it's like the video above. I just check the kids every so often and pop it up a click when needed. The covers are quite easy to remove and wash too. Just use a fork to help rehook the elastics.

https://www.gracobaby.com/car-seats/...P_1963212.html
I have both and I think there are pros and cons.

On the ones where I have to manually thread it in (Nuna Pipa, Clek Foonf), it gives me a more secure and tighter fit when using the harness. On my no rethread ones (Britax Boulevard CT, Graco 4ever, Dimension65), it does not give me as a secure fit, but it's way more convenient.

Regarding whether or not rethreading the harness is a big deal or not. On my Clek, the seat is always secure due by rigid latch (very few seats have this, and it's way better than normal latch) and the way the seat belt is secured on the lockoff. So there really isn't any reason to recheck the fit. Getting the almost 40 lb seat in and out once or twice is not a big deal, but I got sick of it after the 3rd,4th, 5th+ time. On an infant seat, it's not a big deal, but then again the Clek is probably heaviest seat on the market.

That's why for my second child, I was looking for easiest install + no rethread harness. But other people may prioritize other features. Unfortunately there is no perfect car seat, just like there is no perfect car.
Advertisement

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #602
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
On my Clek, the seat is always secure due by rigid latch (very few seats have this, and it's way better than normal latch) and the way the seat belt is secured on the lockoff.
I don't know the seat, and I don't know if I'm misreading, but I'm fairly certain you are not supposed to use LATCH and seatbelts at the same time.

I know the Nuna Pipa does as we have one, and is one of the few seats that allow this. For the majority is it's Latch OR seatbelt.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I don't know the seat, and I don't know if I'm misreading, but I'm fairly certain you are not supposed to use LATCH and seatbelts at the same time.

I know the Nuna Pipa does as we have one, and is one of the few seats that allow this. For the majority is it's Latch OR seatbelt.
yes, correct, I also have a Pipa. normal latch = no seat belt

but rigid latch (Nina Pipa and Clek Foonf) = use with seat belt.

That's why I prefer rigid latch. Clek Fllo (cheaper version) does not have a rigid latch and therefore can not use a seat belt with the latch

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 09-14-2022, 12:11 AM   #604
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
So this is entirely anecdotal, but my cousin with 3 kids all had Clek's. They said they bought them because of the features, made in Canada, etc etc., and I know a lot of people that have them and love them.

But I looked at it in store, and the seat was like...made of thick cardboard with some felt-ish fabric on it, and while I'm sure toddlers probably don't give a shit about comfort, looked very uncomfortable to sit in. We also had to borrow one of them from said cousin, and it definitely was not comfortable for the child - she hated it lol. But that's after being in the Rava for a long time.

The Rava also does have some pitfalls, now that we've used it for ~1.5 years. The 'rebound bar' that is mandatory when rear facing is clipped in by friction, and two buttons. A good kick outward from the toddler will unclip it, and it's super annoying to get back in. Also there's a footrest that is mandatory, and 100% it will leave a big indent in the seat. But like I said there's no levelling needed, it's pretty easy to install properly for RF and FF, it's comfy and easy to clean/wash, and height adjustable very, very easily. It is expensive, yes, but both the wife and I feel are worth it.
That's interesting because I found that my son prefers the Clek over the other seats he's had. I think it's just a case of every kid being different.

For the Diono, when we were shopping convertibles, they were on sale for $300 down from 550? I asked about it and the sales there said if you don't have a van or something big, don't get it because it needs a lot of room for rear facing due to it being a rigid seat that just tilts. Front facing is fine.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:00 AM   #605
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:

Depends on car manufacture. Most allow both seat belt and rigid latch for the Clek Foonf front facing. For rear facing it's one or the other.

For anyone that's interested in a Nuna Pipa, just make sure you can get the right angle in your car. It's been a problem.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #606
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'd like to suggest the Nuna rava as well. The biggest thing is how easy it is to clean the fabric compared to Clek. My kid puked in the Clek and it was just the worse experience cleaning since you can't put it in the washer and you have to remove screws to remove the fabric to hand wash. Nuna rava just take it all out and throw it in the washing machine. If you have kids that get motion sickness easily go with the nuna rava. It's worth the extra money.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #607
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
thanks guys, I think I am sold on the nuna rava, subject to test fit of course.

going to hold my nose while paying for it!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #608
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
I'd like to suggest the Nuna rava as well. The biggest thing is how easy it is to clean the fabric compared to Clek. My kid puked in the Clek and it was just the worse experience cleaning since you can't put it in the washer and you have to remove screws to remove the fabric to hand wash. Nuna rava just take it all out and throw it in the washing machine. If you have kids that get motion sickness easily go with the nuna rava. It's worth the extra money.
Agreed

I had a Clek Fllo previously and it was a bitch and a half to clean off puke. To top that off, my son puked strawberry yogurt

But having to own multiple Diono Radian series seats, there had been a few accidents in them. They were easy to clean. Peel off the cover and toss it in the washer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
thanks guys, I think I am sold on the nuna rava, subject to test fit of course.

going to hold my nose while paying for it!
You won't regret. Machine washable and no rethreading is very convenient. Honestly if you plan to have more than one kid and also can wait, get a couple of them during black Friday sale or when nuna rava has a sale. Don't need to go to any specific store because the sale is across all baby stores. Just hit up west coast kids or tj kiddies. West Coast kids also price matches any Canadian store as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #610
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
^ totally. we are in no rush, don't need it until January. So black friday is likely a good bet.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #611
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
^ totally. we are in no rush, don't need it until January. So black friday is likely a good bet.
In that case, start testing them in your car now and then buy it on Black Friday.

Win win!
Old 09-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #612

Semi-serious, but if this is your first Black Friday with a baby, then cut off your wife's internet access for about 2 weeks before that.

The amount of ads/spam from local baby stores leading up to Black Friday is astronomical.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2022, 07:43 AM   #613
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Plastic wheels vs rubber wheels on strollers. Is going plastic worth the $500 in savings?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #614
My homepage has been set to RS

Well, I became a father of identical twin boys on Wednesday! Joining my fellow OG RS'rs into parenthood.

Boys will be in NICU for a while, but things are positive overall (fingers crossed).
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Well, I became a father of identical twin boys on Wednesday! Joining my fellow OG RS'rs into parenthood.

Boys will be in NICU for a while, but things are positive overall (fingers crossed).
My biggest dream and worst fear! Congratulations man!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #616
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Plastic wheels vs rubber wheels on strollers. Is going plastic worth the $500 in savings?
Depends on where you're going. Rubber is best for those who like to be outdoorsy. If you're a mall family, plastic is fine.

Quote:

Congrats!!
Old 09-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #617

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:

Congrats! Good luck with the NICU, my daughter spent a couple days in the NICU when she was born and the people there are so great (we were at St. Paul's).
Old 09-23-2022, 12:37 PM   #618

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-families-c...onth-1.6081149

This is pretty great - I'm going to see my daycare costs for my 3 year old drop from $1620/mo to $1175/mo.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #619

How does it work? Will our daycares just suddenly start charging us less or do we have to apply for it?

It will definitely help on the $2200+ per month that we are currently spending!

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 09-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
How does it work? Will our daycares just suddenly start charging us less or do we have to apply for it?

It will definitely help on the $2200+ per month that we are currently spending!
If your daycare already gets a subsidy from the provincial gov't - I think it's called a CCOF or similar - then this is just an increase to that subsidy so it should automatically show up for you. My kid goes to CEFA and right now our subsidy is $100/mo as she's 3 and it's automatic.

If your daycare doesn't get the subsidy then its high time to get them to sign up for it (some daycares either don't qualify or don't want gov't oversight).

Edit: I just got the email from my daycare that the new subsidy will show up Dec 1 for us.

Last edited by supafamous; 09-23-2022 at 03:49 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #621
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-families-c...onth-1.6081149

This is pretty great - I'm going to see my daycare costs for my 3 year old drop from $1620/mo to $1175/mo.
That's huge. Almost halves our daycare cost, and it'll make the second mat leave easier.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #622
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Congrats! Good luck with the NICU, my daughter spent a couple days in the NICU when she was born and the people there are so great (we were at St. Paul's).
Yah, we are at Children's and the staff are amazing here.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #623
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I was looking at this crib and ready to pull the trigger.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...white/15555363

But I was checking up reviews on Reddit a post
Quote:
About 10 months ago (my son just turned 8 months) my sister in law bought us the crib above from Amazon - sold by a third party. Prior to this morning, we have not had any issues.

This morning after changing my sons diaper, I placed him in his crib so I could use the bathroom and wash my hands. I was gone approximately 2 minutes. When I returned, my son had about 12-15 salt sized paint chips around his mouth with another 10-12 salt sized paint chips on his tongue. When I inspected the inside railing, there was a spot of missing paint about the size of a dime.

We contacted Amazon, but they have been unable to help because it’s sold by a third party. However, they were able to tell us that Delta cribs have been recalled for 1.5 MILLION child deaths, but were unable to tell us which model.
My question is, wouldn't this be an issue for all painted cribs if a baby starts gnawing on it, and how would one prevent this?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:09 PM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

My question is, wouldn't this be an issue for all painted cribs if a baby starts gnawing on it, and how would one prevent this?
Haha they all do it at some point, right around when they can stand on their own is when they start to teeth - though some kids apparently do it more than others. They specifically make "crib rail covers", which are just fabrics that you tie onto the edges to prevent this, I think there are silicone ones as well.

If you bought a crib from a reputable manufacturer/source, then the paint should be safe; but we went through the same thing and bought something like this: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...ib-rail-covers

FWIW ours ate a shit ton of paint and probably some wood while she was teething and she's fine.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

You should consider spending a bit more and making sure you buy a crib that is manufactured in Canada. Then you know the wood has been treated and painted properly and is child safe.

This is the crib I got and it's been great for two kids so far.

https://www.dutailier.com/en_ca/furn...om_store=en_us

There is one used on facebook right now with a good price!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4725771342830/