REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 04-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #401
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
We have two robot vacuums, they actually do pick up a lot since we have pets. Expensive, but worth it imo, we just need to do a little bit of robot proofing. The only thing that really needs are attention are the stairs cause of shedding cats and shedding mommy and robots can't do stairs.

We don't mop nearly enough but I do try to spot clean and wipe the kitchen floor once every few days.

Wife deals with laundry, we both wfh so we have the luxury of setting off the laundry machine and dryer whenever between meetings.

I deal with dishes and garbage, and I do a big clean every 2 weeks or so of the washrooms, and spot clean whenever things get bad.

I get it, it's bad, we are going insane, but don't make enough and don't make enough of a mess to need cleaners.
robot vacuums are the best thing we ever purchased. IMHO its one of the best investments especially if your house is one floor (also make sure to get the one that can map your house and set no go zones).
Advertisement
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:14 AM   #402
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Im curious to know how the rest of you parents keep up with clean up at home. I find it almost impossible to keep up with everything while going to work and taking care of 2 kids. I only get 1-2hrs to myself at the end of the night to unwind. I dont have dat revscene money so i cant afford a cleaner so me and my wife have to do everything and she has less time than i do. Im usually on top of dishes, garbage, laundry, recycling. But vacuuming, moping, cleaning down bathrooms/kitchen, dusting is so hard to keep up with. Especially since i just googled i should vacuum twice a week....... who got time for that.
Our house can get pretty messy even with just 1 kid. I'm fortunate that my wife has a fairly cushy job working from home so she'll do a bit of clean up during the day to keep it manageable.

If you can't afford a cleaner an alternative is a cheap babysitter to keep an eye on the kids while you do the cleaning. A cleaner runs $30-35/hr but you can find a babysitter for as little as $15 (teenager) if you just need someone to keep the kids company or watch TV with them. We've started using a babysitter (though she's $30/hr) every 2 weeks for 4 hours and my wife uses that time to clean up the house while I go do our grocery shopping and run errands. It's heaven - I spent 2 hours at Costco casually shopping - reading all the labels, doing a second go around.

Ask around and you can probably find a 15 year old who'll work 3 hours for $15/hr and give you guys a break.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #403
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
We're in the same boat, and one of the best purchases we made was the robot vacuum. We got the Shark one from Costco that maps and self-empties, and we just schedule it daily when nobody is home.

It obviously doesn't do 100%, but it's been a god-send.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #404
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Y'all make me wanna order one right now. It's been hectic for me with 2 jobs and I seriously considered a cleaner once every 2 to 4 weeks so I can reset.

I'm thinking about getting a mopping one? Are they useful or just the vaccum one is useful?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #405
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Never used a mopping one, but my understanding is the combos do a shitty job of both. If you really want you should get a dedicated vacuum robot, and a dedicated mopping one.

I really like our Shark, and it was $299 on sale at ctire last year. Costco sells the higher capacity one for a bit more (I saw in warehouse a few days ago), but will also come with the Costco guarantee.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #406

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I have found Roombas more hassle than their worth. Perhaps we didn't spring for one that has mapping on-board.

If you can afford 200-300/month, probably the best solution is to find a good cleaner and to have them clean your house on a regular schedule. Having a cleaner definitely frees up time for doing more valuable things with your child and also reduces friction among partners.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #407
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
We have the same Shark one from Costco. The base bin needs to be emptied once a month. Occasionally I need to check if the vaccuum ate a sock or not, or it gets stuck at dumb places that's why I said I need to some robot proofing.

It would get dust off of the less travelled places and it's amazing for reducing allergies since there's less stuff floating around. Does a pretty good job of picking up cat hair too. You do need to do your research before buying, the higher end roombas are better overall vacuums but the Shark is better at dealing with hair
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #408
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I have found Roombas more hassle than their worth. Perhaps we didn't spring for one that has mapping on-board.

If you can afford 200-300/month, probably the best solution is to find a good cleaner and to have them clean your house on a regular schedule. Having a cleaner definitely frees up time for doing more valuable things with your child and also reduces friction among partners.
My mom has spent most her life as home care + cleaning, and the work she can do is simply magical. Takes a keen eye to be a good cleaner for sure. So yeah +1 do recommend.

That being said think about skipping the ‘Molly maid’ kind of stuff and see if there is a family friend or acquaintance who does the cleaning. Might feel awkward at first but all the money will go straight into their pockets. Skip the middle man who pay minimum wage
Old 04-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #409
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Those with robot vacuums any recommendations?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Those with robot vacuums any recommendations?
I like the Shark that Costco sells. They were doing $100 or $150 off before new years? It's great because it has a bucket that you don't need to empty for a month. I can't imagine having to empty it every time it'll get old really quick, nevermind that the robot actually has to go back to base at least once to empty it's bucket on one session.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #411

Just don’t fall asleep on the floor.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #412
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Kid just turned 3 and I'm starting to think about classes that I can send them to like swim, ballet, gymnastics. Both my wife and I grew up without sports or athletics in our lives so I don't really know where to start with this.

What do you send your kids to? What are some classes worth considering?
Old 04-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #413
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Ice skating, swimming, taekwando are all classics
Old 04-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #414
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Swimming for sure. Basically a life-saving skill, and adds so much enjoyment to life. A small portion of my friends still don't know how to swim and all they can do on vacation is sit with their feet in the pool...

Seconded on ice skating. Will really help them with their balance, and motor skills. Will make it that much easier in the future if they want to pick up other winter sports like skiing and to an extent snowboarding as well. A knowledge of how to balance on ice does wonders to learning other wintery things. If I have a kid, I'm gonna be one of those parents that brings their kid up the slopes at like 3 and throws them down.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #415
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Skating classes are winding down. Even when they are available, each block of lesson is so ridiculously difficult to register for. 4 - 6 new spots for each class time slot. There are like 3 - 4 time slots. Tons and tons of parents all fighting for those handful of spots. And now the season is over.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:31 AM   #416

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Swimming is a must. My parents had me on the ski hill on my 2nd birthday. I couldn’t get enough of that damn T bar. Still can’t

Put them in anything you wish you could have done as a kid. Anything learned early on, can be forgotten and picked up after a short amount of time. Learning those skills as a kid is so important.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #417

My sons about to turn 2, among others things were getting him a strider bike (balance bike). The plan is for his 3rd birthday to get his first e-dirtbike.

Swimming tho is big too. Health is important too. Have you ever seen an out if shape swimmer??? Never
Old 04-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #418
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Any Tiger dads in here?

Jokes aside, I'm glad my parents enrolled me in swimming lessons. That's a life skill I can appreciate and would encourage any parents to enroll their kids in swimming lessons as well.

I tried skating lessons but due to a hip fracture when I was younger, I was never able to properly regain a proper balance. Despite the fact that I do cycle, admittedly, balance is a challenge for me so roller blading, skiing, and snowboarding also came with its challenges.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Any Tiger dads in here?

Jokes aside, I'm glad my parents enrolled me in swimming lessons. That's a life skill I can appreciate and would encourage any parents to enroll their kids in swimming lessons as well.

I tried skating lessons but due to a hip fracture when I was younger, I was never able to properly regain a proper balance. Despite the fact that I do cycle, admittedly, balance is a challenge for me so roller blading, skiing, and snowboarding also came with its challenges.
If you can get them a spot to begin with. I don't remember it being this hard to find a swimming spot when I was a kid.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #420

Quote:
If you can get them a spot to begin with. I don't remember it being this hard to find a swimming spot when I was a kid.
We had our kids enrolled in public pool lessons before the pandemic. It's definitely tough to find spots right now and our kids are two years older and less gung-ho about things.

We bit the bullet and enrolled them in private lessons for two weeks in the summer. They're not cheap, but for a skill as critical as swimming, we are able to live with the cost.

Quote:
Kid just turned 3 and I'm starting to think about classes that I can send them to like swim, ballet, gymnastics. Both my wife and I grew up without sports or athletics in our lives so I don't really know where to start with this.

What do you send your kids to? What are some classes worth considering?
As far as other regular activities go, we've enrolled our kids in dance, drop-in gymnastics, and cheerleading (competitive) over the years.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #421
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Anyone’s kids bite their nails? How do you help them with it, or do you ignore?

Classes (age 0-4):
Chorus and Clouds - art, music, general development.
Phoenix (near Hillcrest) - gymnastics
Tumbletown - gymnastics
Happy Feet - outdoor soccer
WOLO - art and general development
Aquaventures - swimming
Dance class on Fraser next to Earnest Ice Cream

Community Centers have classes and programs too. But they fill up fast.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #422

Quote:
We had our kids enrolled in public pool lessons before the pandemic. It's definitely tough to find spots right now and our kids are two years older and less gung-ho about things.

We bit the bullet and enrolled them in private lessons for two weeks in the summer. They're not cheap, but for a skill as critical as swimming, we are able to live with the cost.

What's this private lessons stuff? Got anymore info? We might just bite the bullet and do that.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #423

Quote:
What's this private lessons stuff? Got anymore info? We might just bite the bullet and do that.
https://westcoastss.ca/

These folks are highly rated among parent groups.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #424

Quote:
https://westcoastss.ca/

These folks are highly rated among parent groups.
Booked out, and the closest for me is Coquitlam. Ain't driving to abby for swimming lessons.

Thanks for the link though. We are now looking at pedal... something.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:01 PM   #425
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Pedalheads. Their bike camps are pretty good too.

Main thing I think that helped with advancing the swimming is that the classes are 50/55 mins, rather than 30 mins. Nothing against the instructors at the public pools, but 30 mins per lesson, Even at 4 kids limit per class meant that the instructor only has enough time to demo the skill. Then each kid gets 1 shot at the skill, demo 2 other things and that's the end of the lesson.

then it's onto the next skill. With the extended time in the private classes, they kids have more water time to work on the skills.
Not to mention, if your kid needs to go pee during a lesson, during a 30 min public class, you're done for the day.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: