REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #76
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
At least 1 dealer in lower mainland I called on the phone is promising msrp + doc fee, no markup… I’m gonna try to get that in writing this afternoon
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #77
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
At least 1 dealer in lower mainland I called on the phone is promising msrp + doc fee, no markup… I’m gonna try to get that in writing this afternoon
You mind PMing me which dealer? Thanks!
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
hells ya if circuit edition
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #79
I bringith the lowerballerith

Soon to see ads on CL and Facebook pay me $5000 and get my reservation spot for Circuit Edition lol.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 02:25 PM   #80

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Called a bunch of dealers, here is the waitlist as of 2pm today

Richmond - 50 people
Surrey - 13 people
Westminster - not taking any
Regency Vancouver - 20
North Van - 15
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #81
Performance Moderator

I am one of those people at Richmond.

The process is BS to be honest........... I really, really, really hate trying to buy anything cool these days, it's like as miserable an experience as possible.

Openroad (in this case Richmond) may be taking deposits, but you show up there with your card and they're like "We have no idea of packages, models, what names it's going to be, costs, time of arrival"... I was like "Okay, but it's pretty clear there's Core... Core + performance package... Circuit.......... I'm only interested in the Circuit" and they're just like "Yah we will call people on the list later when that's sorted out and we can't give you anything with a note of what you're asking for at all.

So basically, they write your name on a list for "GR Corolla", take $500 and they staple the $500 credit card paper onto a business card. That's it. There isn't even a piece of paper given to you saying what you paid $500 for... lol

On top of it all, me and a buddy both put deposits down, and he started on the whole "What you got to trade in?" thing and he very clearly said if you had a trade-in, that your position on the list was very flexible and you'd be bumped to the top depending how valuable your trade-in was. My buddy threw out his fairly new car as a possibility and the guys said for sure he's going to be a priority customer if he trades that in... he turns to me and I'm like dude I haven't bought a new car in 20 years and my newest car is a 2004... I don't have a trade-in and his face basically said "You're fucked then" haha

Fucking brutal games being played these days.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #82
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Soon to see ads on CL and Facebook pay me $5000 and get my reservation spot for Circuit Edition lol.
Lol, I don’t know about Toyota, but I jokingly asked about “selling” my spot in line at Hyundai and they said you can only transfer to a family member.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #83
Performance Moderator

hey Manic did Nanaimo let you pick Core or Circuit with your deposit?
Old 04-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #84
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
The Toyota GR Corolla is coming later this year and it appears to be all that we were hoping for. The only questions remaining are whether you'll be able to get one and how much it'll cost. And while Toyota isn't confirming anything about pricing, the company tells Road & Track that the special, hands-on Motomachi production facility will be able to meet the demand for the GR Corolla.

"I wouldn't say the limiting factor on these vehicles is our ability to produce them," Toyota Vice President of Marketing Mike Tripp told R&T. "It's being very careful to make sure that we maintain the niche credibility."
The right amount to ensure that while expanding the brand, Tripp says, is "one too few."

It's a similar strategy employed by high-end automakers like Porsche, who carefully calibrate production capacity to ensure there's never an over-supply of their most exciting vehicles. After all, unsold inventory shatters the illusion that a car is highly sought-after.
Toyota's maintaining flexibility for that reason, but Tripp says the company is predicting that a full year of sales will end up around 8000 units. Expect 2023 to fall shy of that number, with the production ramp and limited early availability limiting total sales to around 6000 cars.
The company also intends to keep the Corolla fresh and in-demand by rolling out updates and special editions. The first special edition is the Circuit Edition, for which Toyota hasn't shared production run plans. But Tripp told R&T to expect one each special edition to make it to most dealers, putting minimum production numbers around 1250.

"When it comes to something that's this niche, it's important to us that we give every dealer the opportunity to get one," Tripp said. "So if you do the math—and this is no guarantee—if we have a special edition for every dealer, that's 1250-ish. So when you have a total volume of somewhere between 6000 and 8000, and a special edition that's 1250 of that, we think that's the right balance. But one too few will be our goal, just not because of production limits."
Now that I know it's going to be available for several years and in decent numbers, buying new to ensure I get what I want is sounding like it might be more of a pain in the ass than just waiting and trying to hunt down the spec I want on the used market in a few years. Especially if they're going to be coming out with updates and more special editions, you've got to hope they don't come out with an update or version that you like more than what you have.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #85

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
hey Manic did Nanaimo let you pick Core or Circuit with your deposit?
That was before the announcement so I did not know of the 2 models . Jim Pattison Toyota in Duncan only has one on the wait list. waiting to hear fro Comox Toyota.

Should I put down deposits at multiple dealers?
Old 04-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #86
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That was before the announcement so I did not know of the 2 models . Jim Pattison Toyota in Duncan only has one on the wait list. waiting to hear fro Comox Toyota.

Should I put down deposits at multiple dealers?
That's what me and my friend are thinking... like... lower mainland might be hooped, have to go somewhere more remote and play them off each other.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #87

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
I got on the list with Duncan. They are not taking deposits yet. Car will be sold at MSRP.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #88
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
I am one of those people at Richmond.

The process is BS to be honest........... I really, really, really hate trying to buy anything cool these days, it's like as miserable an experience as possible.

Openroad (in this case Richmond) may be taking deposits, but you show up there with your card and they're like "We have no idea of packages, models, what names it's going to be, costs, time of arrival"... I was like "Okay, but it's pretty clear there's Core... Core + performance package... Circuit.......... I'm only interested in the Circuit" and they're just like "Yah we will call people on the list later when that's sorted out and we can't give you anything with a note of what you're asking for at all.

So basically, they write your name on a list for "GR Corolla", take $500 and they staple the $500 credit card paper onto a business card. That's it. There isn't even a piece of paper given to you saying what you paid $500 for... lol

On top of it all, me and a buddy both put deposits down, and he started on the whole "What you got to trade in?" thing and he very clearly said if you had a trade-in, that your position on the list was very flexible and you'd be bumped to the top depending how valuable your trade-in was. My buddy threw out his fairly new car as a possibility and the guys said for sure he's going to be a priority customer if he trades that in... he turns to me and I'm like dude I haven't bought a new car in 20 years and my newest car is a 2004... I don't have a trade-in and his face basically said "You're fucked then" haha

Fucking brutal games being played these days.
First thing that came to mind is "Richmond" LOL. Then Openroad. I would try your luck at a different dealership.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #89
Performance Moderator

I been calling around, anywhere that’s not a major city centre said they were told they’re only going to get 1 car
Old 04-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #90

I just wish Toyota Canada would manage the reservations so customers don't get thrown around like chew toys by dealers.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 05:08 PM   #91
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i was convinced the tesla direct model is better, no middle man, no games

but then they jacked up their prices twice in a week lol
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #92
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 04-01-2022 at 05:44 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #93
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
How the hell did Toyota’s sales model get worse than Porsche?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #94
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
With the Corolla GR around the corner, I hope this is a wake up call for Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #95
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How the hell did Toyota’s sales model get worse than Porsche?
The quote underscore posted said they literally copied Porsche
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #96
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Terrible corporate marketing/sales ... it seems like the public knows more than the dealer salesperson about the product and sales system hasn't set up a reservation system. $500 credit card deposit stapled to a business card ... WHAT??!! I'd be concerned that the guy loses it in the drawer of his desk! Too sketch ... let someone go ahead and wait a year or two for the rage to calm down a bit.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #97
Performance Moderator

Yah I am not down with VP of Marketing Mike Tripp's world view on things... "making 1 less than they can sell" and building a brand image about exclusivity and how unavailable/unattainable something is isn't really a message I think Toyota should be sending. Pretty pompous.

Did Subaru's image suffer having any unsold STI's sitting around? Were there even any unsold STI's sitting around at much higher production volumes? Pretty stupid to purposely not sell a model at production capacity. Subaru was selling 32,000+ STI's in North America alone during peak years and Toyota is talking about moving 8,000 GR's worldwide? Crazy.

I mean, if I am an enthusiast and I can't get my hands on something without jumping through a thousand hoops, and all I see online is spoiled Youtubers and idiots with industry connections hooning around in the car I wanted... I just get jaded and buy something used again... or 5 used things for the price of that 1 car... or even worse I go to a competitor and buy their car instead. Either way, Toyota doesn't get the business.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #98
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^ exactly...

I am probably just not "in the correct social circle". But I never ran across someone I know saying "Oh, this is too popular, I am not gonna get one because everyone have one already".

On the contrary, I always try to get everyone I know into the EVO game when I had the EVO, and now I try to get everyone into the miata now that I have a miata. I think it's pretty bause to show up in a line of the same cars... haha

...I was down to put down a deposit... I also called multiple dealers at the beggining of March, most sales don't even know what a GR Corolla is, let alone knowing if there is a wait list there for one

Good to know that this is not a limited run model and there is a multi-year production plan in mind.. The only flip side into getting into the corolla earlier is
A) I think I am at a peak of what my miata could be worth on the market
B) I can finally drive to Vancouver on occasion, not that I go there often at all, but enough times where I always go home to swap to the prius gets annoying...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #99
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
I mean, if I am an enthusiast and I can't get my hands on something without jumping through a thousand hoops, and all I see online is spoiled Youtubers and idiots with industry connections hooning around in the car I wanted... I just get jaded and buy something used again... or 5 used things for the price of that 1 car... or even worse I go to a competitor and buy their car instead. Either way, Toyota doesn't get the business.
The thing is the enthusiast community is such a small portion of their demographic that they figured that their regular selling model for their PHEV will work just fine - and sure it will piss some people off, but the majority of people are still down for it.

They're doing the same thing for their trucks which have an even bigger enthusiast following, so it shows that they aren't going to be changing a thing about how they sell.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #100

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
They may also be trying to put a marketing spin on supply chain issues, that sounds a lot fancier than "we can't get parts." Heck it might be the same deal with the hand-built part, I know some industrial automation equipment that used to be either in stock or a couple weeks out now has a 9+ month lead time. If they're going to be releasing it worldwide then I'm more keen to get an early one in the hopes that North America gets more of those.

When I put my name down on Tuesday it was basically the same as you guys, nobody had a clue what I was actually talking about. The sales guy pulled up pictures of the GR Yaris asking if that was what I was trying to buy lol. I know they wanted to stay tight lipped but maybe at least tell them *something* is coming when you're going to tease it for months.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: