REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #21801
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Eat more when you are lifting heavy because you will be taxing your system of alot more substrates (that's providing you are training at the correct intensity) Calorie surplus diet will allow you to do that, and because your GLUT-4 receptors are alot more sensitive to shunting substrates back into your cells.

You're going to need to cut down on calorie intake for some days anyways, so why not do it on the days where your muscles are less active?

I have said it before, but I'll say it again, higher caloric intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight on weight training days, and lower caloric intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight. You don't want to drop your caloric intake all of a sudden because your feelings of satiety will increase from the big jump.

When I said cardio day, I really should have said light aerobic training... It really makes no fuckin sense to do 45 minute cardio session especially if your goal is still to retain lean muscle mass along the way.

just my 0.02
I don't understand the part where you said to intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for both higher and lower caloric intake... Unless you meant to say intake more/less than 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for the respective training days.

As for the GLUT-4 receptors being more sensitive to "shunting substrates back into your cells". You will only be able to "shunt" x amount into the cells. Surplus calories during a training day won't mean the cells' capacity will have increased.

Having a meal immediately after a workout will be suffice, as opposed to eating an extra 500 calories that day. If you are hungry, then sure, eat. Your body will tell you if you need more calories.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #21802
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Stealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 3,263 Times in 545 Posts
Love this series! So much great advice
Stealthy is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #21803
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
I keep hearing the word macro.

halp.
Meowjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #21804
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Lol or maybe you just don't know wtf you're talking about, as usual?

BRB giving out nutritional advice when I don't know how to count my macros.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hey jayare, you a IFBB pro bodybuilder bro?

Because if you were, I'd highly suggest fiddling around with this new calorie/macronutrient calculator for a few hours. You can download it from the app store for only 1.99! It's so accurate you can use it to calculate the exact macronutrient proportions you need to stay lean and cut. Make sure you don't go over by 0.5 of a calorie though! Because it will definetly take its toll on your 10% bodyfat percentage.

T NATION | Carb Cycling For The Non-Counter
The Calories Myth |
Kathy Freston: The Weight Loss Hype: Why Counting Calories Never Works

I don't think i've ever said not to count your macros, or I wouldn't have suggested doing the 2calorie per bodyweight thing in the first place right? It's when people become calorie nazis, that just irritates the heck out of me. Do your estimations and such, but don't spend your whole life on that shit trying to figure out where you went wrong with your calculation...
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #21805
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
LC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: richmond Lah!
Posts: 5,449
Thanked 471 Times in 223 Posts
jayare604, RS's resident troll.
__________________
My Feedback~



BlAh~
LC21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #21806
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
J.C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #21807
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I don't understand the part where you said to intake 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for both higher and lower caloric intake... Unless you meant to say intake more/less than 2 calories per lb of bodyweight for the respective training days.

As for the GLUT-4 receptors being more sensitive to "shunting substrates back into your cells". You will only be able to "shunt" x amount into the cells. Surplus calories during a training day won't mean the cells' capacity will have increased.

Having a meal immediately after a workout will be suffice, as opposed to eating an extra 500 calories that day. If you are hungry, then sure, eat. Your body will tell you if you need more calories.
high calorie days on heavy resistance days. increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bodyweight. low calorie days on light/rest days to facilitate the weight loss.
Yep, a cell's capacity isn't related to insulin sensitivity at all. What I was hinting at, was that you can take advantage of this sensitivity, and up your calorie intake during this time so that your blood plasma glucose levels won't fluctuate too high as opposed to say, during a light workout day or during a rest day. If he wants to build lean muscle, he HAS to eat, and what I was just sort of recommending is to have these high calorie meals during his heavy resistance days, and building on what you have said, after a workout.

If you think about it we're actually really just thinking along the same lines
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 10-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #21808
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
is that the same retard that kept hating on me because I said me and red_sir had a beast workout.

Quote:
Forget bulking or cutting. Unless you're preparing for a specific competition, all-out bulks followed by drastic cuts don't get you very far. For most, slow but steady body recomposition – gaining lean muscle mass and minimizing body fat – is a better long-term strategy.
feels reassuring.

Last edited by Meowjin; 10-25-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Meowjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #21809
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,601
Thanked 1,801 Times in 572 Posts
you guys are really overthinking eating
Sid Vicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #21810
Big Drama Show
 
jayare604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Goodboy Nation
Posts: 5,727
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Hey jayare, you a IFBB pro bodybuilder bro?

Because if you were, I'd highly suggest fiddling around with this new calorie/macronutrient calculator for a few hours. You can download it from the app store for only 1.99! It's so accurate you can use it to calculate the exact macronutrient proportions you need to stay lean and cut. Make sure you don't go over by 0.5 of a calorie though! Because it will definetly take its toll on your 10% bodyfat percentage.

T NATION | Carb Cycling For The Non-Counter
The Calories Myth |
Kathy Freston: The Weight Loss Hype: Why Counting Calories Never Works

I don't think i've ever said not to count your macros, or I wouldn't have suggested doing the 2calorie per bodyweight thing in the first place right? It's when people become calorie nazis, that just irritates the heck out of me. Do your estimations and such, but don't spend your whole life on that shit trying to figure out where you went wrong with your calculation...
Bro, I will kick your barbell the next time you deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
jayare604, RS's resident troll.
Do you even lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
is that the same retard that kept hating on me because I said me and red_sir had a beast workout.



feels reassuring.
Actually, you claimed to be a beast, when you have the same lowerbody stats as HarryWang. But don't worry bro, I benched 170lbs the other day, I'm a beast too
jayare604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #21811
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Bro, I will kick your barbell the next time you deadlift


Do you even lift?



Actually, you claimed to be a beast, when you have the same lowerbody stats as HarryWang. But don't worry bro, I benched 170lbs the other day, I'm a beast too

W000T, time to use that "beastly" leg strength of yours

come at me bro
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #21812
Big Drama Show
 
jayare604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Goodboy Nation
Posts: 5,727
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,193 Posts
srs post

hit the gym with an old high school buddy of mine, today. He had some impressive stats as an 18 year old

460 deadlift @ 145lb bodyweight
315 squats for 6 reps @ 155lb bodyweight
275 bench @ 160lb bodyweight

dunno why he never decided to compete

edit - the squat and bench stats were from when he was 19, he's 20 now
jayare604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #21813
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,390
Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
those stats make me feel bad
kwy is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #21814
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post


Actually, you claimed to be a beast, when you have the same lowerbody stats as HarryWang. But don't worry bro, I benched 170lbs the other day, I'm a beast too
You're an idiot.
Meowjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #21815
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
chocolate milk so good
J.C is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #21816
RS Operative (G)
 
hal0g0dv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GYM
Posts: 12,721
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
chocolate milk so good
1-2 litres post workout past 4 months now
__________________
╔╦╦╦═╦╗╔═╦═╦══╦═╗
║║║║╩╣╚╣═╣║║║║║╩╣
╚══╩═╩═╩═╩═╩╩╩╩═╝

It's not the steroids that makes the champion but it's hard training .. dedication, the diet and sacrifice and genetics that person has.. what makes the champion.
hal0g0dv2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #21817
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Phozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,480
Thanked 882 Times in 303 Posts
New pr! Deadlifted 260x6 this morning

5/3/1 is a great program

Oh, and too dafonz, I'm sorry I flamed on you last time when you posted about the muscle up
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #21818
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
high calorie days on heavy resistance days. increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bodyweight. low calorie days on light/rest days to facilitate the weight loss.
Yep, a cell's capacity isn't related to insulin sensitivity at all. What I was hinting at, was that you can take advantage of this sensitivity, and up your calorie intake during this time so that your blood plasma glucose levels won't fluctuate too high as opposed to say, during a light workout day or during a rest day. If he wants to build lean muscle, he HAS to eat, and what I was just sort of recommending is to have these high calorie meals during his heavy resistance days, and building on what you have said, after a workout.

If you think about it we're actually really just thinking along the same lines
We may be thinking along the same lines, but I'm speaking in layman's terms. 95% of people on here won't know what the heck you're talking about regarding glut-4 and blood sugar etc. The only reason I have some idea of what you are talking about is because I did my undergrad in HKIN, and even then I am not sure if you are just spitting out what you read from bb.com or any off the rack body building magazine... or better yet something off a bottle you bought from popeye's.

You say you get annoyed by people who count calories to the tee, yet you reply with a response regarding blood glucose plasma, and insulin sensitivity.

And you still never clarified the numbers of high/low calorie days. Increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bw for a high intake day? Increase 2-3 of from what? If you simply do the calculation... 2 lb per bw for someone who is 200 lbs is only 400 calories.. or do you mean, that would be added on top of their regular daily caloric intake? What would you suggest their baseline caloric daily intake be? Simply, times their body weight by 10, so 2000?
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #21819
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,706
Thanked 232 Times in 89 Posts
I think he means BMR + (2 to 3) X bodyweight. so 200lb person would be 400-600 excess on lifting days and 4-600 deficit on rest days.
I took that from reading his post, dont know if Im right in interpreting either
BinsentoW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #21820
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
We may be thinking along the same lines, but I'm speaking in layman's terms. 95% of people on here won't know what the heck you're talking about regarding glut-4 and blood sugar etc. The only reason I have some idea of what you are talking about is because I did my undergrad in HKIN, and even then I am not sure if you are just spitting out what you read from bb.com or any off the rack body building magazine... or better yet something off a bottle you bought from popeye's.

You say you get annoyed by people who count calories to the tee, yet you reply with a response regarding blood glucose plasma, and insulin sensitivity.

And you still never clarified the numbers of high/low calorie days. Increase by 2-3 calories per lb of bw for a high intake day? Increase 2-3 of from what? If you simply do the calculation... 2 lb per bw for someone who is 200 lbs is only 400 calories.. or do you mean, that would be added on top of their regular daily caloric intake? What would you suggest their baseline caloric daily intake be? Simply, times their body weight by 10, so 2000?
i'm going more and more indepth as your questions beg to differ.


I'm pretty sure I did clarify the number of high/low calorie days. High calorie days on heavy resistance training, low calorie on rest days/light aerobic training.

When I say 2-3 calorie INCREASE I'm pretty sure I do mean a higher value compared to a baseline value or it wouldn't be an increase would it?

No, I'm not going to explain how to do a calorie count because that wasn't the point of the comment I had made in the first place.

Last of all, I was talking about insulin sensitivity in regards to timing of the meals and why it would be beneficial to eat higher calories postworkout, not relating at all to the usage of made-up offthecharts calorie count calculators and the over-compulsive drive to stay consistent with each individual calorie

Don't think I'm going to go any further with this, because anything else we say is just going to be a wide array of facts.

And I could guess right from the start that you probably would have done a degree in kinesiology/nutrtion. Small world eh? Where'd you grad from?
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #21821
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
i'm going more and more indepth as your questions beg to differ.


I'm pretty sure I did clarify the number of high/low calorie days. High calorie days on heavy resistance training, low calorie on rest days/light aerobic training.

When I say 2-3 calorie INCREASE I'm pretty sure I do mean a higher value compared to a baseline value or it wouldn't be an increase would it?

No, I'm not going to explain how to do a calorie count because that wasn't the point of the comment I had made in the first place.

Last of all, I was talking about insulin sensitivity in regards to timing of the meals and why it would be beneficial to eat higher calories postworkout, not relating at all to the usage of made-up offthecharts calorie count calculators and the over-compulsive drive to stay consistent with each individual calorie

Don't think I'm going to go any further with this, because anything else we say is just going to be a wide array of facts.

And I could guess right from the start that you probably would have done a degree in kinesiology/nutrtion. Small world eh? Where'd you grad from?
I just wanted clarification in what you meant because it wasn't clear by just reading your initials posts, that's all.

I did my undergrad at UBC. Grad 05.
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #21822
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
IMO, you should try to put on the most amount of muscle possible. this will increase your BMR which will make it ultimately easier to lose fat

do relatively high volume with heavy weights i.e. i recommend 5x5

and fuck cardio, sprints and plyos all the way
Your BMR statement makes sense, but increasing the the weight wouldn't increase the "volume"... increasing reps would. 5 sets of 5 reps of 100 lbs = 2500 lbs lifted. If you did a lighter weight, more reps, same amount of sets. You would life a lot more "total" weight. On average, optimal hypertrophy is gained through rep rages of 8-12. anything lower or higher would be tapping into different energy systems. Although, you would obviously gain some muscle no matter what kind of rep range you do.
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #21823
RS Operative (G)
 
hal0g0dv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GYM
Posts: 12,721
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,488 Posts
I like to lift heavy shit and look like a freak
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #21824
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,390
Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Squats 2 days ago..quads still sore as fuck.
kwy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #21825
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
LC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: richmond Lah!
Posts: 5,449
Thanked 471 Times in 223 Posts
Lol jayare, please... Just stop
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net