REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #3251
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joquio View Post
I'm having a hard time choosing my next "bigger" purchase after being out of the watch game for a year.

Currently deciding between these two:

-Rolex GMT Master II 117610LN

-Panerai Luminor Submersible PAM 25

Anyone had experience with either of them?
Suggestions?
I can't wear them daily for work so it'll be just weekend watch.

Just to make it more complicated I'll throw these two into the mix as well.

-IWC 3777 IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph

-Omega Planet Ocean 8500

For branding, looks and retaining value go Rolex GMT or even their Submariner's.
Advertisement
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #3252
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed99 View Post
For branding, looks and retaining value go Rolex GMT or even their Submariner's.
Yes, I did end up getting that Rolex GMT Master 2

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #3253
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
You should get a pretty decent discount at any local stores selling Tag.
First place that comes to mind is Rodeo Jewelers in Oakridge. Ask for George. Hes the older caucasian guy that can generally swing a pretty good deal.

May not be as good of a deal compared to Jomashop which is grey market. But you get the warranty from Tag. Plus exchange rates arent that great right now, so might want to factor that in.

A tip- if the particular watch comes in a bracelet, buy it with the bracelet, then buy the leather strap separately later. Reason being that the bracelet might be harder to source, and it'll be far more expensive to buy later on.
Typical oem bracelets for for about $1000, and leather strap at $450 (rough estimates).
Can also buy good quality aftermarket leather straps for less than $300. Whereas aftermarket bracelets are more "iffy". And will likely cheapen a nicer watch, imho.

Good luck.
As a side note, I should also add that TAG Heuer watches do not hold their value well, so the moment there is an aftermarket strap or bracelet, the watch is worth next to nothing.

Nice watches, but resale is terrible. I'd only buy a used TAG Heuer from here on.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #3254
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I am in love with the Seiko Alpinist SARB017 o______o

But after buying 2 watches within ~1 month, I can't justify buying a third >:|

I should really stop youtubing/googling watches...
Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #3255
RS Veteran

Sell the two to buy the third.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #3256

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Sell the two to buy the third.
Hohohoho, if it were only that simple. I think it would be hard to find someone willing to buy slightly used watches no?

The 2 watches I bought are from small companies too, which means "collectors" might not even take a wiff at them. (Vincero Chrono S, and Original Grain Classic).
Old 02-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #3257
RS Veteran

You never know until you try!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #3258

I bought it........

I need help.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was never really about the money... It just feels so weird buying 3 watches in the span of 2 months.

I guess I'll comfort myself saying it is a "reward" for my recent promotion at work :[

Friends and Family are gonna look at me weird because they all know I have splurged on watches recently >___<
Old 02-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #3259
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
It was never really about the money

I guess I'll comfort myself saying it is a "reward" for my recent promotion at work :[
Looks like you solved your own problem.

Just remember. You only live once.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #3260
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Looks like you solved your own problem.

Just remember. You only live once.
.. . Just remember. You only die once.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #3261
MG1

Quote:
I bought it........

I need help.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was never really about the money... It just feels so weird buying 3 watches in the span of 2 months.

Friends and Family are gonna look at me weird because they all know I have splurged on watches recently >___<
I bought two watches in one month, lol. The Vincero Blue/Silver and the Vincero Rose Gold/Brown. I still have the Bulova watch I got as a retirement gift, so I have three now.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #3262

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I bought two watches in one month, lol. The Vincero Blue/Silver and the Vincero Rose Gold/Brown. I still have the Bulova watch I got as a retirement gift, so I have three now.
Oh wow, I didn't know you bought 2 Vincero. Interested in a Black/Black? hahahha
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #3263
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

watch.jpg
tuhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #3264
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,276 Times in 488 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger on a Corniche Heritage 40, had been debating one for a while, wanted a good quality dressy quartz that I didn't have to worry about as much. Absolutely love it, quality is outstanding and the packaging is top class for the price. Ordered from their site online Monday night, came about an hour ago, direct from Sweden free shipping; Lightning fast.

'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #3265

Thanked 2,738 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
I am in love with the Seiko Alpinist SARB017 o______o

But after buying 2 watches within ~1 month, I can't justify buying a third >:|

I should really stop youtubing/googling watches...
Beautiful watch and a great movement. Just wish they were a little bigger than 38mm.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #3266

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmozis View Post
Beautiful watch and a great movement. Just wish they were a little bigger than 38mm.
Just picked mine up from PO box after work. Wearing it right now! So happy xD

I am definitely more used to slightly larger watches, though this 38mm is actually the "perfect" size for my wrists. (I just got too used to wearing over-sized watches lol).

My only complaint (aside from the notoriously horrible leather strap) is that there is no display / exhibition case back on this model. Where other Seikos with this movement have them :[

As my first Automatic watch, I was really hoping to enjoy the art of horology :P

But regardless, I fell in love with this the moment I saw it, exhibition back or not!

EDIT: obligatory wrist shot! (Sorry, the lamp next to me is really warm in color)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170303_175910.jpg (131.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #3267
MG1

Removed pic................ I'm done with RS.

Last edited by MG1; 03-04-2017 at 08:44 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #3268
RS Veteran

This post FAILED by:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #3269
My homepage has been set to RS

After going through ~60ish different watches I think these last few are here to stay.
They have me covered for almost any occasions.

The Seiko Turtle PADI (Most top one with pepsi bezel) is a recent addition. Got it from Amazon.ca for an awesome price.

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #3270
RS Veteran

MG1,

My post was in jest and was not meant as a personal jab. My sincere apologies if I had upset you.

bcrdukes

On a different topic, I brought in my Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Issue CS3111 for its first service. I purchased this a number of years ago as a pre-owned watch. Original owner did not service it and sure enough, the case back was tough to crack open at the local jeweler. To no surprise, it had not been serviced, but they weren't surprised it still ran well. Upon first glance, they knew that it needed service, but will need some time to give it a thorough review before proceeding with any work to be performed. Interesting fact - this re-issue uses a very similar movement as the well-known Omega Speedmaster Pro. The one pictured below is a Lemania 1873.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #3271

Where did / are you bringing it in for service?

Obviously I am no where near needing to have my watch serviced, but wouldn't mind knowing any reputable places that can do it.

I'm on day 2 of my time regulating. It has been kinda confusing thus far. The first ~17 hours, my Alpinist was 2 seconds fast. So I assumed by 24 hours it will be at +3 (which is more than acceptable for me).

But after the 17 hour mark, I checked my watch and it returned to +/- 0 (Perfectly accurate / in sync with my stopwatch app). Which means within an hour or so, it lost 2 full seconds that it originally gained.

Then at about 23.5 hours in, it was still dead perfect (meaning it didn't change since the 17 hour mark).

I reset my stopwatch app, and started again at 12AM (0:00 or 24:00). Woke up at 7AM, and my watch was +/- 0 (awesome!)

Went to church for 2 hours and when I got home ~10AM, my watch was -1 Second.

The odd fluctuation is somewhat confusing me. Both nights I placed it on its side, crown face up.

Will probably regulate this for a week. If it lands anywhere within +/- 4 seconds, I will be satisfied :P
Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #3272
RS Veteran

In Vancouver, there are a lot of reputable watch repair stores such as Time & Gold, The German Watchmaker, and others. I'm not super familiar with where to get your Seiko repaired or for service, however, I'm sure the shops mentioned above can help. Hopefully some RS members can chime in since a lot of them own JDM Seikos like yours.

Your watch and movement is known to require a break-in period, which can take a few months before it straightens itself out. My Seiko SARB033 ran significantly fast for the first few months before mellowing out. As of now, it's at around +/- 1 or 2 seconds each day, which I personally consider acceptable (some others will think it's garbage.) My TAG Heuer Carrera Twin Time runs spot on and is the most accurate one out of my entire (current) collection.

In the end, I'm not 100% too concerned about accuracy of these watches. If it were an Omega or Rolex etc. I'd be more concerned. However, I would encourage you to just enjoy the watch for now and see how it goes in a few months time. Remember, you bought it for a reason, and it's for you to enjoy and to remind yourself of why you bought it. To your own benefit, start going to stores and build a relationship with the staff. They will come in handy one day or another.

As for me, I took my watch to Minh Chau Jewelers in Toronto. I've developed a good relationship with them so I'm letting them do an estimate first before I authorize any repairs. I am likely to ship it off to TAG Heuer Canada for service in Richmond Hill since their prices are much more reasonable, but the turnaround time is terrible, averaging 5 to 8 weeks. I am finding TAG Heuer dealers and overall service not to be the greatest, so for me, I won't be buying anymore TAG Heuer watches, unless used and it would have to be something really neat.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #3273

I didn't know about break-in period for this! As you can tell, I am totally an automatic / mechanical watch noob.

Went online to read about this and some people have been flamed for being too OCD and worried about regulating (which I am being :P).

So, I really appreciate your patience, and providing me with some info, and not tearing me a new one lol.

Going to be wearing this daily for the forseeable future. Will try to relax a bit about the time-keeping, and check on it only once in a while after a few weeks!
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #3274
RS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't know about break-in period for this! As you can tell, I am totally an automatic / mechanical watch noob.

Went online to read about this and some people have been flamed for being too OCD and worried about regulating (which I am being :P).

So, I really appreciate your patience, and providing me with some info, and not tearing me a new one lol.

Going to be wearing this daily for the forseeable future. Will try to relax a bit about the time-keeping, and check on it only once in a while after a few weeks!
Don't sweat it. Just enjoy the watch and be happy. The Alpinist is a beautiful watch and a great way to start out with the world of horology.

For reference, I've had my Seiko SARB033 since mid-December and only now, it has started to mellow out. Some people have reported it can take up to 5 to 6 months before it starts to fully settle down, but so far, I am happy with the way it performs. As I mentioned in my post above, it started out running very fast but has fallen into +/- 1 or 2 seconds a day of which I am satisfied with. I was very upset at first, but only realized after the fact they need some wrist time.

The Seiko doesn't get as much wrist time as much as I would have liked, so it's my weekend watch, which I alternate with the Carrera Re-Issue. The Carrera Twin Time I have is my daily. Eventually, the Seiko will go to my brother in a few months so this buys me time to look for another one.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #3275
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joquio View Post
Yes, I did end up getting that Rolex GMT Master 2
Mind sharing where you got it? I'm also in the market for a Rolex GMT Master 2. Thanks.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote