REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #3276
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

With some watches, the longer the power reserve, the less accurate it can be and it drains down, as the mainspring gets "looser".

Typically the "more accurate" watches have a 3 day reserve. Anything over 5 days is nice, but like i said, its less accurate as it winds down.

Personally, i wouldnt worry too much unless its COSC certified. Even then though, theres still a few seconds +/-.
Advertisement
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #3277
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
If you own an older automatic watch, sometimes the time could be off and running extremely fast due to being magnetized. I've had this happen with watches that even say "antimagnetic" on the back. To fix this, go to a customer service counter and see if they'll let you run your watch over the store tag de-magnetization strips. Place it flat, rotate it a bit and slowly back it away. Fixed a vintage auto Omega, Sicura/Breitling, and Seiko with this method.

For high-end watch servicing, I recommended Time Co on Canada Way in Burnaby or The German watchmaker. Both places are extremely knowledgably and honest. For cheaper watches, I've heard that Precision watches in New West does a decent job for a decent price.

For the guys looking for Seiko parts for DIY repairs, checkout Perrin watch parts. Located in Ontario but they have some extremely rare parts for a really good price. They had brand new parts for my 30 yr old Seiko diver.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #3278
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
If you own an older automatic watch, sometimes the time could be off and running extremely fast due to being magnetized. I've had this happen with watches that even say "antimagnetic" on the back. To fix this, go to a customer service counter and see if they'll let you run your watch over the store tag de-magnetization strips. Place it flat, rotate it a bit and slowly back it away. Fixed a vintage auto Omega, Sicura/Breitling, and Seiko with this method.

For high-end watch servicing, I recommended Time Co on Canada Way in Burnaby or The German watchmaker. Both places are extremely knowledgably and honest. For cheaper watches, I've heard that Precision watches in New West does a decent job for a decent price.

For the guys looking for Seiko parts for DIY repairs, checkout Perrin watch parts. Located in Ontario but they have some extremely rare parts for a really good price. They had brand new parts for my 30 yr old Seiko diver.
I can vouch for the TimeCo and Precision watches in New West! Both good guys to deal with. I got Precision to do some Seiko mods for me that a bunch of other watchmakers were unwilling to do.
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #3279
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

metal braclet for citizen skyhawk 23mm

Anyone now a place i can get a citizen 23mm metal band for cheaper price. The bracklet goes for a bit over 100. That's too much just for a bracelet. I paid around 450 for watch with a leather band.
I currently have a skyhawk and the leather band is wearing out.
lambo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #3280
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
After lurking here for a while, the fiancee surprised me with a watch - a Bulova automatic:

It's plebeian compared to some of the timepieces here but it was enough to get me interested in them again..so immediately I bought a beater watch.

Timex Intelligent Quartz Flyback Chrono

Anyway, the Bulova is my first automatic watch ever. Considering I'd probably wear it every once in a while, I fully expect it to die. Is there less wear on the internals by just letting it die and winding/wearing every weekend, or getting a watch winder?

Last edited by inv4zn; 04-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #3281
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Planning to get myself a birthday present. I'm having trouble deciding between the Hamilton Khaki Field, Seiko SARB033, and the Seiko Alpinist (dat green dial tho). I'm leaning towards the Hamilton because my small collection consists of a Seiko 5 and an SKX, and I would like to diversify my collection... but these two Seikos are hard to say no to... HELP!

Also open to other recommendations.

Hamilton Khaki Field:

Seiko SARB033

Seiko Alpinist
ethanRadberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #3282
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm biased :P

I am loving my Alpinist!

I put it on a ColaReb "Venezia" strap (Tabacco color) with Butterfly deployment buckle, to replace the pretty crappy strap the Alpinist came with. If you go for the Alpinist, definitely replace the strap.

It has been over a month of wearing my Alpinist daily, and it has kept INCREDIBLE time. I think it has lost 1 second (ONE second) in 30 days!

I originally was timing it with a stopwatch, but turned out the stopwatch app was inaccurate lol (kinda ironic). The Alpinist is more accurate than a digital stopwatch app on my phone @___@

And yes, that is an Omega 2017 catalogue. Somewhat eyeing the Speedmaster Professional with moonphase!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpinist_1.jpg (370.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg alpinist_2.jpg (373.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg alpinist_3.jpg (387.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #3283

^ Dammit, that's gorgeous. I love that strap too! I would definitely get a strap and probably even a bracelet if I decided on the Alpinist. Is there a store in Vancouver where i can try it on?

I just got to try on a Khaki Field this morning at the mall. I love the strap on that watch, it's very nice. I love the red-tipped second hand on it as well.

It's going to be a tough choice..
Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #3284

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanRadberry View Post
^ Dammit, that's gorgeous. I love that strap too! I would definitely get a strap and probably even a bracelet if I decided on the Alpinist. Is there a store in Vancouver where i can try it on?

I just got to try on a Khaki Field this morning at the mall. I love the strap on that watch, it's very nice. I love the red-tipped second hand on it as well.

It's going to be a tough choice..
Not that I know of. The SARB and SARG? watches are all JDM only...
Old 04-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #3285
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I wonder if I can get an Alpinist cheaper if I buy it from Japan. Going to Tokyo in May and planning to get a watch or watches there if the price is cheaper and more selections to pick from.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #3286

What kind of watches do you have?

you'd certainly get a better experience by getting to try it on first. it's about $520 on Amazon right now and I believe it's about 50k yen there judging by the price tag I see in videos. I may be wrong.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #3287
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
*Sold*
If anyone is interested, I'm looking to sell my Seiko SARB033. Comes with a brown Horween leather strap.

Probably less than 72 hours of wrist time. Purchased December 2016. It's a nice watch, but I do not love it whatsoever. PM if interested.
*Sold*

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-23-2017 at 06:52 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #3288

I paid 428 CAD for my Alpinist on Ebay. Brand new, boxes, papers, etc.
SEIKO SARB017 Mechanical Alpinist Automatic Men's Leather Watch - Made In Japan | eBay

Free shipping, arrived in 4-5 days from HK, with tracking numbers. (I was incredibly surprised it arrived within one business week from HK)

The seller had a few in stock when I bought it, not sure if they still have more.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #3289

What kind of watches do you have?

^ I'm going with the Alpinist, so thanks!

I love the khaki field, and even the Tissot Visodate caught my attention when I tried one on today, but the Seiko is definitely unique and something special. If they discontinue this green dialed Alpinist then I'm sure it will be a collector's item in the future.

Looks like I'm sticking to seikos until I could afford a high end watch.. lol!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #3290
dru
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Anyone interested in a Lum Tec Lumzilla LZ9? Prefer to sell locally. The catch is the battery is dead, obviously the price will reflect the inconvenience of having to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement, but the there is lifetime battery replacement with this company. PM me if you're interested.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #3291
dru
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If anyone is interested, I'm looking to sell my Seiko SARB033. Comes with a brown Horween leather strap.

Probably less than 72 hours of wrist time. Purchased December 2016. It's a nice watch, but I do not love it whatsoever. PM if interested.
Interested, check pm.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #3292
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
I paid 428 CAD for my Alpinist on Ebay. Brand new, boxes, papers, etc.
SEIKO SARB017 Mechanical Alpinist Automatic Men's Leather Watch - Made In Japan | eBay

Free shipping, arrived in 4-5 days from HK, with tracking numbers. (I was incredibly surprised it arrived within one business week from HK)

The seller had a few in stock when I bought it, not sure if they still have more.
Loving my Alpinist too that I got on my last trip to Japan. Just picked it up at a BICs Camera (they're everywhere) for about $360 CDN all in. Still looking for a new strap to replace the stock one with, its hella stiff.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #3293
RS Veteran

For those of you who PM'd me about the SARB, I'm sorry, but it has been sold last night. Thanks for your inquiries and good luck on your search.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #3294
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
After disappointed in both Android Wear and Apple watch, I finally pulled the trigger on a smartwatch.

ZeTime on Kickstarter. Anyone else on board?

The thing that most interested me was the fact that it has a traditional watch (sorta) built into it. So when I'm not using any of the smartwatch functions, it actually acts and behaves like a watch and would continue to do so for up to 30days on a single charge.

This would be the first watch I've had for a long time. Well, I was never a watch person. Wore a few Casio G-Shock for look here and there when I was young. I started wearing one on a permanent basis when I inherited a vintage PP from my grandpa/dad after marriage, but the last time I ever wore it was the day my first son was born. And I stopped it the minute I heard his crying and I'd give it to him when he gets married one day.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #3295
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
^ cool story on the PP.

as for smartwatch; i've always hated digital watched, and now, with ALL the functions on my fit bit Blaze, the ONLY feature I use is reading text messages while I'm driving. I wear it daily now.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #3296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ cool story on the PP.

as for smartwatch; i've always hated digital watched, and now, with ALL the functions on my fit bit Blaze, the ONLY feature I use is reading text messages while I'm driving. I wear it daily now.
That's what I figured. There would be very few occasions that I need the "smart" functions. But I need it to act like a watch at any given time.

While on the topic of my story, any1 knows anything about maintenance of automatic watches if I never wind it? The PP has been passing down in my family from my grandpa to my dad. My dad wore it on a permanent basis before giving it to me. And as I stated, I stopped it upon my kid's birth. I don't plan to run it again until quite later when he gets married. But is there anything I should do to make sure when I pass it onto my kid (maybe 20years later), it will actually work? Not sure if it matters, but it sits in a bank security box where I keep all important family stuff. So, nothing in particular that keeps it in any specific condition. Just bare in that tiny metal box with a bunch of papers and pictures
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #3297

My understanding of high end watches is very limited but I think the rule of thumb is to get it fully serviced every 5 years.

With a PP expect to pay a hefty sum haha.

If you leave it sitting, the lubricants/oils harden over time, and it degrades the watch.
If you leave it running, the gears and mainspring wear out bit by bit, and it degrades the watch.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #3298
RS Veteran

inv4zn pretty much nailed it quite simply.

Owning a mechanical watch is a bit of a double edge sword. I sent my Heuer Carrera for service and it was a very satisfying experience when I got it back. It was very refreshing and felt as if it were like new again. And yes, my Heuer Carrera suffered from both lack of oil/lubricant due to time, and the gears and mainspring wearing out.

Expect to pay a hefty price to service the PP, but hey, it's a beautiful watch and something to be proud of.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #3299

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
My understanding of high end watches is very limited but I think the rule of thumb is to get it fully serviced every 5 years.

With a PP expect to pay a hefty sum haha.

If you leave it sitting, the lubricants/oils harden over time, and it degrades the watch.
If you leave it running, the gears and mainspring wear out bit by bit, and it degrades the watch.
This is the part I'm particularly worried about.

It's nothing overly fancy I think, but a PP nonetheless. I'm going to make a few calls to see how much it is. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #3300

^Let us know the ballpark $, I'm genuinely curious.