REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Denim Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/520872-denim-thread.html)

PJ 02-10-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniatic (Post 7792093)
Super noob here.

I always get perfect sizing for my jeans but picked up a cheap pair of nice jeans the other day but it's boot cut :(
I know the hemming question has been asked but Is there a way I can get the boot cut converted to skinny jeans? If so where and how much?
Posted via RS Mobile

I've had it done at Oakridge before. It gets pretty pricey cause they basically have to cut open the inseams and re-sew it. From what I remember (given this was a few years ago) it was $20-$50. May not be worth it if your jeans were "cheap."

RESN 02-10-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniatic (Post 7792093)
Super noob here.

I always get perfect sizing for my jeans but picked up a cheap pair of nice jeans the other day but it's boot cut :(
I know the hemming question has been asked but Is there a way I can get the boot cut converted to skinny jeans? If so where and how much?
Posted via RS Mobile

Almost this entire page is talking about tailors. Bring it to Alberts Tailors and he'll taper them for $20.

insomniac 02-10-2012 09:16 AM

Thanks a lot guys!! Heading to alberts right now. I don't mind paying up to 60
Posted via RS Mobile

Expresso 02-10-2012 10:20 AM

Since there's been some questions about Chain stitch Hemming and Darning Repairs, thought I compile a list if you are interested in mail ordering. This is just for the purists though, not a huge deal really. *Have not used any of the below*

Tate and Yoko (Chain Stitch Hemming)
Blue Owl Workshop (Chain Stitch Hemming)
Railcar Fine Goods (Chain Stitch Hemming and Darning Repair)

G 02-10-2012 10:32 AM

Heading to alberts.. Heard he does it pretty quick?
Posted via RS Mobile

G 02-10-2012 12:07 PM

Damn, alberts opens at 1 and not here yet :(
Posted via RS Mobile

areyounoob 02-10-2012 01:14 PM

I had a back pocket repaired by Albert. $10.
He told me to come back the following day.
Posted via RS Mobile

G 02-10-2012 01:20 PM

Waited an hour till 2. I think I saw you insomniac, anyways, he came and did mine in 8 minutes. Super friendly and very very nice. Worth my 9$! But as a tip call before hand to make sure he's there.
Posted via RS Mobile

insomniac 02-10-2012 01:38 PM

Yeah that was me lol ended up going to Oakridge. I called at 1 and no answer so I just dropped by

woob 02-10-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7792455)
Since there's been some questions about Chain stitch Hemming and Darning Repairs, thought I compile a list if you are interested in mail ordering. This is just for the purists though, not a huge deal really. *Have not used any of the below*

Tate and Yoko (Chain Stitch Hemming)
Blue Owl Workshop (Chain Stitch Hemming)
Railcar Fine Goods (Chain Stitch Hemming and Darning Repair)

I considered sending my jeans to Blue Owl, but I calculated the cost of shipping using Canada Post, and the entire operation would cost me ~$65. Not worth it for me. When I get some super expensive denim, I'll consider that price.

Not really racist! 02-10-2012 05:15 PM

pics of Albert's hemming?

G 02-10-2012 05:42 PM

Also found a place in gastown that sells Japan blue, momotaro, and unbranded. Really legit looking place. It's a couple stalls down from livestock.
Posted via RS Mobile

woob 02-10-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 7792829)
pics of Albert's hemming?

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 7791840)

1char

bobbyhill 02-10-2012 07:18 PM

APC sizing

http://i26.tinypic.com/k3ung6.jpg

MindBomber 02-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 7792782)
I considered sending my jeans to Blue Owl, but I calculated the cost of shipping using Canada Post, and the entire operation would cost me ~$65. Not worth it for me. When I get some super expensive denim, I'll consider that price.

Self Edge.

$40 flat rate for repairs, $15 for chain stitching with free international shipping.

http://www.selfedge.com/denim_repair.php

unit 02-10-2012 08:39 PM

honestly whats the hype with chain stitching?
from what i understand chain stitching is meant to be easy to come apart.

Expresso 02-10-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7793002)
Self Edge.

$40 flat rate for repairs, $15 for chain stitching with free international shipping.

Self Edge is Denim

If you read it, it says they don't do mail orders.

Tate and Yoko is in MTL.

For the guys that got their Jeans tapered? How was the work?

areyounoob 02-10-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 7792854)
Also found a place in gastown that sells Japan blue, momotaro, and unbranded. Really legit looking place. It's a couple stalls down from livestock.
Posted via RS Mobile

y u no share place?!?! :yuno:

instantneedles 02-10-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyounoob (Post 7793097)

I'm assuming he's talking about dutil denim.

areyounoob 02-10-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by instantneedles (Post 7793117)

Oh I had no idea Dutil carried Japan Blue :suspicious:

MindBomber 02-10-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7793086)
If you read it, it says they don't do mail orders.

Tate and Yoko is in MTL.

For the guys that got their Jeans tapered? How was the work?

Where does it say that?

G 02-10-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyounoob (Post 7793097)

Quote:

Originally Posted by instantneedles (Post 7793117)

Negative

Although, the store next to Livestock also has Naked and Famous, the store is called 'Complex' and it's the 2nd store from Victoria's 'Four Horsemen'. The owner is also friends with Brandon from N&F so they got some pretty good stuff sometimes. I went in today and saw a pretty cheap denim jacket from N&F so if you are in that area definitely check them out!

The new place that I haven't seen before though is a place called 'Chrome Yellow Clothing Gallery' which is 2-3 shops down from Livestock and Complex. The owner/worker there used to have a store called Zed Apparel in Port Moody but I am not sure what happened there. They used to carry a lot of good brands like prps evisu etc etc.

I went in there and they had a lot of John Varvatos along with a stack of Japan blue, Momotaro's and a row of Unbranded. It seems like they just opened so they might get other brands as well. I saw some Momotaro's for $198 which is well priced IMO.

Overall, a very nice and well layed out store with some pretty good stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/crome.yellow.gastown

_inwonderland 02-10-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7793131)
Where does it say that?

It says right on the denim repair page:

Repair terms & pricing:

•All garments must be brought into either SESF or SENY, we are currently not accepting mail-ins.
•The cost for repairs is a flat $40 regardless of what needs to be done to the garment and $20 if the item was bought from Self Edge.
•We will only work on clean garments, if you haven't washed your jeans or jacket in a while a good time to do it would be before dropping them off for repairs.
•All work takes between 5 and 8 days.

areyounoob 02-10-2012 11:53 PM

After doing a bit of research, I found out that Brooklyn Clothing Co. sells Japan Blue x Momotaro. :fullofwin:
edit: and Jean Shop denims.

Expresso 02-11-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7793047)
honestly whats the hype with chain stitching?
from what i understand chain stitching is meant to be easy to come apart.

Yea strictly for purists. It just keeps the roping effect that chain stitch creates.