REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #351
HELP ME PLS!!!

I think the place will depend on what city your in. lol. I shopped around looking for the scooters in best condition and cheapest rate. One thing though, take pics or note scooter damage, so if they try to nail you for damage, you can prove that it was existing.

Pretty cheap for a scooter, I think it was 10 - 20 dollars a day. They'll want your passport as collateral, I didn't give mine up, I had a photocopy to give them.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #352
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J89 View Post
Post the address here when you can and I'll come through for sure

Also can anyone give a tip where I can rent a scooter? And usually how much is it per day.

Thanks.
Generally every hostel/hotel you stay at has a reputable scooter place to recommend. In Vietnam renting scooters was super easy they didn't ask for passport or money first. Generally I paid about 100 - 120k dong per day. discounts of 3+ days or more scooters. If you can get 125 - 135cc scooters. They are more fun to drive. If you want to ride from one city to another. Motorvina provides close to new helmets and help you transfer your bag with a shuttle bus to your next location. Allowing you to scooter to the next city without carrying your bags or luggage.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #353
I am Hook'd on RS

do you need an entry port visa upon arrival? if so where to get one? thanks
CrispyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #354
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
going to viet nam for tet, staying for 3 weeks woo cant wait!
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #355
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Im starting to plan my trip to Nam now. leaving soon for 3 weeks with a few friends

plan on going to 10 citys in 3 weeks. Saigon,Phu Quoc islands, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Hue, Ha Long, Hoi an, Sapa, and either Hai Phong or Can Tho.

not sure where were staying or seeing yet but planning that now. open to suggestions if you guys got any

I gotta go get my shots/sunscreen/bugspray soon but not really sure what to really pack
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #356
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Im starting to plan my trip to Nam now. leaving soon for 3 weeks with a few friends

plan on going to 10 citys in 3 weeks. Saigon,Phu Quoc islands, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Hue, Ha Long, Hoi an, Sapa, and either Hai Phong or Can Tho.

not sure where were staying or seeing yet but planning that now. open to suggestions if you guys got any

I gotta go get my shots/sunscreen/bugspray soon but not really sure what to really pack
I just did 2 weeks in Vietnam (basically a week in the South and a week in the North). I did Ha long Bay and Sapa and booked the tour when I got to Vietnam...the tours are everywhere so not too hard to find. For Sapa you will need good shoes if you want to do trekking as it is muddy. For Ha long Bay I did a bit of a different tour then most...I stayed on Monkey Island (most people stay on boats)

I did Hostels that were pretty good in Hanoi and Saigon and saw the same people for the most part in both places. I can't comment on the other places though...

It's so cheap there...I barely spent any money the 2 weeks I was away so have a great time!
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #357

Quote:

I'll add Phong Nga for 1 or 2 nights to see Dark Cave. If you scooter there you save like 40 - 60 bucks. I'll also spend maximum one night in Hue to try the Bun Bo Hue. I recommend scootering from De nang to Hue to Hue to De nang for the hai van pass. Such a sick drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
I just did 2 weeks in Vietnam (basically a week in the South and a week in the North). I did Ha long Bay and Sapa and booked the tour when I got to Vietnam...the tours are everywhere so not too hard to find. For Sapa you will need good shoes if you want to do trekking as it is muddy. For Ha long Bay I did a bit of a different tour then most...I stayed on Monkey Island (most people stay on boats)

I did Hostels that were pretty good in Hanoi and Saigon and saw the same people for the most part in both places. I can't comment on the other places though...

It's so cheap there...I barely spent any money the 2 weeks I was away so have a great time!
I did the Castaway island tour and a regular boat tour for Ha Long Bay. I remember slipping all the way down in Sapa. It was so depressing, every step I took I slipped. The home stay at the villages were cool. Meet a lot of people and lots of rice win with everyone you meet.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #358
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

heading to vietnam/japan next week. 30-4 in ho chi. hoi an and then hanoi. anybody around?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #359
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

in Hoi An we found this restaurant not far from the old town

3000 for a "fresh" beer and had really good food. I think owner was a white guy and his Vietnamese wife

their clay pot chicken was really good.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #360
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
in Hoi An we found this restaurant not far from the old town

3000 for a "fresh" beer and had really good food. I think owner was a white guy and his Vietnamese wife

their clay pot chicken was really good.
when your in Hoi An check this place out

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Province.html

in Hanoi look for Pho Dat Ban

Anthony Bourdain recommended and it was
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #361

Quote:
when your in Hoi An check this place out

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Province.html

in Hanoi look for Pho Dat Ban

Anthony Bourdain recommended and it was
No kidding, the sandwiches were amazing. Must have had 10 or something, during my 2 night stay in hoi an.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #362
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Anyone know of a insurance company or travel agency that I can buy travel insurance in Vancouver/richmond/surrey? I already have medical insurance but I am looking to get baggage insurance that covers theft/damage while I am in Vietnam. Main concern is having my cellphone or laptop robbed/snatched out my hands or stolen. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
ceeteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #363

bcaa? blue cross? td insurance? RBC Insurance?

I'd look and see if your credit card provides it, if you paid your flight ticket on it.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #364
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Any credit card would have some sort of insurance (including health insurance) that you can pay a one time fee for the duration of the trip.

I would not worry too much about stuffs being stolen, just be mindful to not flaunt them and put stuffs inside your bag whenever you can, especially at tourists sites. The government got a lot better at controlling petty thieves and beggars at major sites.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #365

For the visa I paid an online service $10 for the letter. Then $25 usd at the immigrations.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 12-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #366
Need to Seek Professional Help

Since everyone is always asking what to do in Vietnam, well here you go. We are soft opening Mid January, Full opening Mid February.

Vietnam's first on site American Style Craft Brewery, Restaurant and Bar, located in Ho Chi Minh City.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #367
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
where is it?
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #368
Need to Seek Professional Help

181 - 185 Ly Tu Trong Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City. Quite close to the famous Ben Thanh Market. We will be doing various brewery tours, beer courses, etc...

https://www.facebook.com/eastwestbrewery/?fref=ts
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #369
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Flying to Hanoi on the 21st for a few weeks. Who's around?
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #370
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Planning to travel solo Dec 14-31. This will be my first overseas flight in nearly 2 decades. Any tricks to get upgraded seats? Will most likely be flying with Cathay Pacific - red eye fight (1am ish)
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #371
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

money and only money
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #372
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

What's the best data plan for 2.5 weeks or so?
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #373
I am Hook'd on RS

told my boss i am quitting beginning of next year. Will be living in vietnam sometime next year
CrispyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #374
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
What's the best data plan for 2.5 weeks or so?
I use vietnamobile 3g 4gb data plan 30 days.. 70k vnd or 4.13 cdn.

Switching money there gets you better rates.

$100cdn anything over 1.8m vnd is good, $100usd anything over 2.26m vnd is good. Bring hundreds because the smaller bills have crappier exchange rates. Jewelry stores have good exchange rates.

Also dont buy your tours at the hotels, walk around the city to find better deals. Hanoi to ha long bay hotel charges $60usd. We walked around town and found the day tour for 30usd.

If your in ho chi minh. Boss palace. 200k massage, 300k tip for happy ending bj lol

Need data. Download uber. Its half price of cab. Usually its flat rate but for whatever reason sometimes it changes. Also dont change your uber destination otherwise it just adds the total up. For example say you wanted to go somewhere super far and it cost 100k and half way there you change your mind and change destination, it basically adds 100k plus your new destination.

Party perks can be bought from the women who walk around with suit case of smokes by bui vien aka backpackers street lol

Sunglasses they sell for 200k can be haggled to 50k. Also if you buy those bracelets from the hustlers buy it on your last day or theyll tell their whole family and theyll take turns trying to hustle you lol. Remember anything can be haggled. Youll learn, dont get ripped off.

Riding scooters in danang was fun, not as much traffic, temples and lots of bridges to cross, like the dragon bridge. Youll see people illegally park on the bridge, just gotta kick it fast and furious style though when the cops come haha.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #375

Lol how was the happy ending

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]