REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #301
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Looking to go this year sometime in the fall. Should I buy my ticks asap for best price or where/when should I book my plane tick?

planning on doing alot of sightseeing and tourist stuff/attractions starting from Saigon. Is it better to go North to South or South to North. will 2 weeks be enough to see/do most of the things or should we do 3 weeks?

also, how far South or North should we go? thinking about hitting up most of the major citys.

you guys got any websites or books to recommend so we can plan on what/where to do/eat/see/stay?

got 9+ months to plan for this trip gonna be fucken epic hopefully lol
Advertisement

Last edited by Vansterdam; 01-12-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #302
Need to Seek Professional Help

Do your homework before you allow a hotel to keep your passport. Most of them wont, a photo copy is enough. Unless its a 1/2 star then they might but again check where your staying by looking at Tripadvisor and see what people say. Avoid if complaints of issues when checking out and holding passport.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #303
ESKETIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Do your homework before you allow a hotel to keep your passport. Most of them wont, a photo copy is enough. Unless its a 1/2 star then they might but again check where your staying by looking at Tripadvisor and see what people say. Avoid if complaints of issues when checking out and holding passport.
thanks for the tip! will def try and link up with you once Im over there where abouts are you currently residing?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #304

In HCMC at the moment. Been in Vietnam for 8 years.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #305
My homepage has been set to RS

Hey Scottsman, whats your opinion on the exchanging to vnd.

Do you think it's better to get USD then exchange at jellewry/gold stores in Vietnam or just exchange here.

1 CDN to VND is about 13,888 VND here.

I also read about counterfeit VND... hmmm
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #306
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
just exchange cad in vn,
the gold and jewelry stores just use the google exchange rate anyways.
ask what their rate is before you give them money- sometimes they have a sign but usually they just google the rate and punch in the calculator
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #307

When I came back to Canada I changed everything directly from VND to CAD because I compare the value of VND against USD. So had I changed to USD then CAD it would not have made a difference.

I would think that the gold/Jewelry shops use the Vietcom Bank figures for exchanging money. Ngân hàng th??ng m?i c? ph?n Ngo?i th??ng Vi?t Nam - Vietcombank
Check the rates on here and see what works for you.

Not sure how they value of CAD against USD is affecting its value in Vietnam but we generally trade USD upwards of 22,000vnd now.

I think I also poster before about a popular place to change money in the heart of HCMC on Dong Khoi street, across from Sheraton. A lot of different people use this place, or can try a gold store and see if you get any better but in the end unless you are changing at least a few grand then the savings will be small.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #308
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I wouldnt't change too much CAN to VND b/c if you have leftover you have to exchange back (losing money by exchanging twice). I liked the idea of changing from CAN to USD first so I could just change whatever I needed at certain times to VND and keep the leftover USD for shopping trips to Trader Joes lol. This way you are just losing the currency commission once. And seeing how the CAN dollar is probably going to drop even more, having USD would be win-win.
raysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Looking to go this year sometime in the fall. Should I buy my ticks asap for best price or where/when should I book my plane tick?

planning on doing alot of sightseeing and tourist stuff/attractions starting from Saigon. Is it better to go North to South or South to North. will 2 weeks be enough to see/do most of the things or should we do 3 weeks?

also, how far South or North should we go? thinking about hitting up most of the major citys.

you guys got any websites or books to recommend so we can plan on what/where to do/eat/see/stay?

got 9+ months to plan for this trip gonna be fucken epic hopefully lol
Buy plane tickets ASAP. Will be cheaper this way. I got mine for $1000 CAN roundtrip to give you an idea.

I went for 3 weeks and I would have liked to stay another week. I went from North to South (Hanoi, Danang, Hoian, Nga Trang, Dalat, Ho Chi Minh, Phu Quoc)

Lonely Planet was the best money spend on our trip.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #310
ESKETIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysquared View Post
Buy plane tickets ASAP. Will be cheaper this way. I got mine for $1000 CAN roundtrip to give you an idea.

I went for 3 weeks and I would have liked to stay another week. I went from North to South (Hanoi, Danang, Hoian, Nga Trang, Dalat, Ho Chi Minh, Phu Quoc)

Lonely Planet was the best money spend on our trip.
lonely planet as in the tour guide books or??

I plan to meet some friends in Saigon then gotta figure out if I wanna go North to south or vice versa.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #311

I was wondering the same thing. Lonelyplanet for?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #312
HELP ME PLS!!!

When I backpacked in SE Asia, I used the Lonely Planet shoestring guide.

I found it super helpful with; booking day tours, transportation, accommodation, tourist traps, and local customs.

Southeast Asia on a Shoestring travel guide book - Lonely Planet Shop

As good as this was, there's no replacement for having a local show you around though.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #313

This is the one I brought:

Lonely Planet Vietnam 12th Ed.: 12nd Edition: Lonely Planet, Iain Stewart, Brett Atkinson: 9781742205823: Books - Amazon.ca
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #314
ESKETIT

should I just buy my ticket now at a travel agency? or online better? if online where should I grab it from?

thanks for the tip!

Im gonna wait till the 13th edition to come out which is Aug 16.2016 since my trip isnt till October

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
When I backpacked in SE Asia, I used the Lonely Planet shoestring guide.

I found it super helpful with; booking day tours, transportation, accommodation, tourist traps, and local customs.

Southeast Asia on a Shoestring travel guide book - Lonely Planet Shop

As good as this was, there's no replacement for having a local show you around though.
Im also gonna wait till a updated version of this comes out to grab it lol

Last edited by Vansterdam; 01-18-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #315

I don't find the travel website very helpful when I was booking flights. I used Skyscanner a bit in terms of getting alerts but would then go directly through the company website and then book through them.

If you go the US route with say United Airlines then there is a lot of stops (YVR - LAX/SFO - HKG - SGN). Cathay and other Asian based airlines usually only have one stop (YVR - HKG - SGN). I chose China Airilnes the last time I flew because of the awesome layover they had in Taiwan and the departure/arrival times. I departed from HCMC at 5pm, landed YVR at 8pm. Departed YVR at 2am, landed HCMC in the morning.

My layover was less than an hour both ways and consisted of me walking to the gate and boarding almost immediately.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #316

Welp, going through what I want to see/accomplish and my limited Vacation time, I regret this flight deal. I got a great deal but the layover, 5hrs in Beijing both ways is killer.

Anything to do at the Beijing airport?

Anyways, I plan one night in Saigon, fly out to Hanoi, take train to Sapa, stay in Sapa for 2 nights/3days, then back to Hanoi for a night or two. I'm not sure if I should keep rushing and check out Hoi An or just stay in Hanoi, then back to Saigon for a night, then flight leaves early morning next day (2am).

A lot of travelling...If I could do it over again. I'd pay extra for no layover/less than 1 hour. And fly into Hanoi instead of SGN.

Any insight/thoughts/criticisms?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #317

Depends on what your interested in seeing. Everyone I know that travels to Vietnam always wishes they had more time regardless of how much or little they have seen.

Been most places in Vietnam but not Sapa yet, with that said seems like you are spending a lot of time in Sapa yet it is a pretty basic place. Unless that is what you are after, would suggest more time in Hoi An or Hanoi.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #318
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Welp, going through what I want to see/accomplish and my limited Vacation time, I regret this flight deal. I got a great deal but the layover, 5hrs in Beijing both ways is killer.

Anything to do at the Beijing airport?
too bad they wont let you out of the airport. I believe u need atleast a 6hr layover to be granted a 72hr Visa
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
too bad they wont let you out of the airport. I believe u need atleast a 6hr layover to be granted a 72hr Visa
Funny enough I was reading more into this.

You can actually be exempt from the 72 hr visa if you have an international boarding / layover, just need to do some minor things and be sure you are in the right line, etc.

There's more detailed postings through various sites, but even then 5 hours doesn't give me too much time to see the Great Wall (If I do go that route).

When you factor in the lineups leaving, then traffic, I'd have an hour and a bit, then back, same process/security screening, then board.

Curious, if you had let's say 6 hours or 5, what would you do in PEK?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #320
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Plan to go this summer. How is the crime overall?

Heard there's a lot of robbery, snatching and violence.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #321
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
@subordinate Dont get ur hopes up cause i was there in december and january for 8 and 9 hr layovers and i saw like 20 people with a 5-6hr layover was denied out of the airport.

Nlkko, honestly if ur not out there flaunting your brand new iphone 6 plus in front of everyone being a drunkass. Nothing will really happen to you.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #322
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Looks like im going back to Vietnam again for two weeks March 10th

Does anybody remember how much $$ you can have to bring into VN and out of VN to canada? was it 7K or 10K..
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #323
McLyin'

Thanked 1,677 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
Looks like im going back to Vietnam again for two weeks March 10th

Does anybody remember how much $$ you can have to bring into VN and out of VN to canada? was it 7K or 10K..

dr.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #324
Banned By Establishment

You can bring as much as you want into Vietnam but you have to tell Canada customs if you bring more then $10k out of Canada. You can only bring $5k USD out of Vietnam.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #325

damn, that's a lot of money to bring into Vietnam. Especially for 2 weeks.