REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #401
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
I didnt use mosquito spray lol. I did get all the recommended shots prior to going though. Bring hand sanatizer, the restaurants will charge you for the wet naps if you use them lol. Its just good to use if your on the go and want to clean up before eating. Sunscrean as well. Top two items. Most hotels give shampoo conditioner soap.
Advertisement
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #402
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

best beach to go in may-june time? south would be better but not sure about weather
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #403
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
does anyone know where or how to apply for vietnam e-visa?
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #404
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
does anyone know where or how to apply for vietnam e-visa?
last time we used https://www.bestpricevn.com/vietnam-visa/

this time i just swung by a travel agency on kingsway and got it done. Cost more but less hassle.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #405

booked viet for june, will be stopping by in TPE and ICN.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:53 AM   #406
I STILL don't get it

In Vietnam right now. I got scammed by a taxi driver upon arrival. For those who are traveling there and plan to use the taxis there, please only take cabs run by the cab companies named vinasun or mai Linh.

I also got to try the beers from east west Brewery at the hotel I'm staying at. I recall it being mentioned in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180302_201348.jpg (177.1 KB, 0 views)
SilverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT View Post
In Vietnam right now. I got scammed by a taxi driver upon arrival. For those who are traveling there and plan to use the taxis there, please only take cabs run by the cab companies named vinasun or mai Linh.

I also got to try the beers from east west Brewery at the hotel I'm staying at. I recall it being mentioned in this thread.
Download Grab its like uber.
Also you can negotiate price with taxi at the airport, buddy just arrived and they tried to charge him more then the agreed price. He jus threw them whatever they agreed upon and left lol
Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #408
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Thinking about doing a week in Vietnam as part of my Japan/HK trip. Any good recommendations on places to go and which to avoid? So far, I've got Ha Long Bay and the Mekong Delta on my must see list but the rest is open. Sa Pa looks very scenic as well. As you can tell, I'm looking more for nature type destinations, but would also like a good taste of the city as well.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #409

You can check out the cu chi tunnels near Saigon.

Leaving Vietnam today, if you guys got extra dong that you would like to exchange back to cad or usd. There's a gold store near the banh Thanh market on the corner think it's name was ha tam.
Gave Google rates for exchanging back to usd.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #410
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Yea I’m talking bout the da nang. Why no?
Tons of better resorts to go to. Hyatt, Furama, Pullman, Four Season Nam Hai, etc...

Quote:
Anyone been to Qui Lounge in HCM?
Yes its a decent spot, busy in the evenings. Would also suggest Martini Bar, Xu, Blanchy, Racha Room, Firkin as they are all in the same area. Some cool Japanese drinking spots around that area as well around Le Thanh Ton and Thai Van Lung.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #411
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed the beers.

Quote:
Thinking about doing a week in Vietnam as part of my Japan/HK trip. Any good recommendations on places to go and which to avoid? So far, I've got Ha Long Bay and the Mekong Delta on my must see list but the rest is open. Sa Pa looks very scenic as well. As you can tell, I'm looking more for nature type destinations, but would also like a good taste of the city as well.
Would double check about Sa Pa, heard there has been a ton of over development and construction.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #412
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I ended up staying at Naman, damn I miss that place.

Will return to Vietnam as I've left out some places and not rush it. Sa Pa, Hue, Vung Tau, Mekong, Phu Quoc and maybe Nha Trang.

Also want to visit during the summer season.
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #413
God of Unce

So much change is happening... no wonder Vietnam has the most new millionaires in the world last year (as i've been told by peers that read up on it).
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
What's the best data plan for a 17 day trip? So I can use Uber etc..?
You've probably come and gone by now, but I figured I'd throw up what I go for future reference.

I got a VietTel Data only SIM for 200K at the airport. They say it's unlimited but it's really 3.5GB of LTE then throttles to something ridiculously slow. I found that out the hard way on my 4 hour bus ride back from the Mekong Delta. I loaded another 7GB of data for 70K. Data is ridiculously cheap there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Would double check about Sa Pa, heard there has been a ton of over development and construction.
Unfortunately I didn't get to go to SaPa but good to know. I'd certainly consider another trip out there if I'm ever in Asia again. It's surprising that they'd ruin SaPa like that as it seems that they are really pushing tourism hard - at least that's the perception I got when I was there.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #415
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Well, tourism boosted by 30% last year in Vietnam..
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #416
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
Well, tourism boosted by 30% last year in Vietnam..
Not surprised at all/foresee it increasing more in the next few years. It's the new "Thailand" per se. Cheap/friendly people/still relatively not tourist saturated per se/relatively easy getting around in major cities
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #417
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
You've probably come and gone by now, but I figured I'd throw up what I go for future reference.

I got a VietTel Data only SIM for 200K at the airport. They say it's unlimited but it's really 3.5GB of LTE then throttles to something ridiculously slow. I found that out the hard way on my 4 hour bus ride back from the Mekong Delta. I loaded another 7GB of data for 70K. Data is ridiculously cheap there!
Were you able to share the data via hotspot from your device? Traveling with a group there in the near future, and looking at options for data.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Were you able to share the data via hotspot from your device? Traveling with a group there in the near future, and looking at options for data.
Yep, it could tether with no issues.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #419
God of Unce

Hoi An was filled with at least 50% korean tourists there lol
Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
Hoi An was filled with at least 50% korean tourists there lol
My friend just returned from Vietnam and said the same thing.. actually she said 70% instead of 50% :P
Koreans that used to travel to Thailand and Philippine are now travelling to Vietnam more instead as Thailand is getting more and more pricier than before and Philippine becoming more infamous for corrupted cops and airport officials.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #421

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Bumping this up, as I'll be going to Hanoi/DaNang in late November.

Thinking 3 nights Hanoi, 1-2 nights on a Ha Long Bay cruise (or surrounding less busy area, e.g Bai tu long bay), and then 4 nights Da Nang.

I have been to Da Nang before when we did southern VN, returning for some beach R&R. But haven't been to Hanoi.

Looking for suggestions on:
- Decent areas/hotels to stay at in Hanoi
- Restaurants/attractions to see in Hanoi
- Cruise companies for Bai Tu Long or Lan Ha Bay
- Beach resort/villa in Da Nang or Hoi An

We are past the age of budget travel, so am looking for mid-range/higher end hotels in Hanoi (~$200 cdn/nt) as well as higher-end resort in Da Nang/Hoi An (~$350 cdn/nt).

Thanks!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #422
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Lol with that kind of overkill budget, you'd be hard pressed to find anything over $100/night for a mid-range in Vietnam - try more like $50/night. $200/night will probably be get you a room at the nicest hotels in town like the Sofitel.

Stay anywhere near Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi. Most of the attractions are around there and anywhere else you can find cheap plentiful taxis to take you. Check out Sapa if you have time (overnight visit). The Halong Bay cruise companies are pretty much all the same, just walk around town and they'll basically find you.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #423

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Lol with that kind of overkill budget, you'd be hard pressed to find anything over $100/night for a mid-range in Vietnam - try more like $50/night. $200/night will probably be get you a room at the nicest hotels in town like the Sofitel.

Stay anywhere near Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi. Most of the attractions are around there and anywhere else The Halong Bay cruise companies are pretty much all the same, just walk around town and they'll basically find you.
Not sure if inflation or post-covid, but prices do seem to be higher for a subset of hotels that I have been looking at. e.g. the Sofitel Hanoi you mentioned is going for $364/nt to start at the moment for my mid-November dates.

But yeah, def wanna be staying in nicer places these days.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #424
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,416 Times in 5,098 Posts
I mean there's nice... and then there's complete opulence

I have a hard time even in HCMC finding places that are much more than $130 a night unless you go absolutely mental!

This was for dates I was looking at in Sept/Oct though. Maybe Nov is more expensive?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #425
in the butt

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Bumping this up, as I'll be going to Hanoi/DaNang in late November.
I'm curious to find out what your rating is for Hanoi once you return

It's the last place I would ever go back to, the only highlight was Trang An river. And even that was a joke with the locals pestering you for mandatory tips afterward

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote