REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #1001
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
If you are DT the huge church on Homer at Robson often does soup kitchen/ free dinners type stuff. I'm sure they'd be happy with some help. They offered for me to come in and get a hot meal one day because I look homeless.
I said I was very thankful, but no need haha.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #1002
Banned By Establishment

Try Union Gospel Mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #1003
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Vancouver Coastal Health has a spreadsheet here of all the "free meals", you can call ahead to see if you can volunteer. Most places offer one meal a week, sadly the clientele between different places look familiar.

However volunteer can mean more than just offering labour, it is about creating a connection. I think that is more meaningful way to look at things.

This one in East Van can be a less hectic one to try. Just show up around 530 or earlier?

Kettle Friendship Society is another place to check out.

Last edited by godwin; 12-14-2016 at 11:35 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #1004
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Do you mean Westside Church?

They partner with a housing development on Seymour called Karis Place which is run a by a non profit group called More than a Roof.. to cook the soup and make the sandwichs at Karis Place's commercial kitchen facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If you are DT the huge church on Homer at Robson often does soup kitchen/ free dinners type stuff. I'm sure they'd be happy with some help. They offered for me to come in and get a hot meal one day because I look homeless.
I said I was very thankful, but no need haha.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #1005
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
+1 for Union Gospel Mission

I've volunteered there before but not on a walk in basis.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #1006
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
+1 for UGM as well, I've volunteered there in the past but it was an organized group thing so I'm not sure how they deal with walk-in type help.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #1007
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Was shoveling snow last night and I find a wallet. Expensive brand name wallet (unless it was a fake) with tons of cards in it. One being a black credit card. Couldn't find a phone number anywhere, so I hop in my car and punch in the address on the drivers license and start driving. 30 mins later, "you have arrived at your destination on the left"
End up knocking on the wrong townhouse unit cuz I clearly can't tell a 8 from a 6 in the dark.
Anyways, I find the owner and he says "sorry" as I hand him his wallet.
Guy must have worked hard for his address. Lots of 8's in it even unit #8. Guy was born in 94. I'm jelly
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #1008
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts

saw dodge neon in the middle of kingsway with dead battery, guy inside had to use a wheelchair too, pushed him off to the side then jumped him, hopefully good things are to come for me
Old 12-22-2016, 11:58 PM   #1009
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
not really random, but tiger_handheld, my brother and I donated 150 gloves to my neighbourhood, not too many were given out so we decided to go to dtes and gave the rest away, was satisfying to see people being appreciative
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #1010
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkRvHfYsHbg

saw dodge neon in the middle of kingsway with dead battery, guy inside had to use a wheelchair too, pushed him off to the side then jumped him, hopefully good things are to come for me
if you help people and then hope for a reward, you're doing it wrong.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #1011
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
if you help people and then hope for a reward, you're doing it wrong.
The reward is the feeling that you did good. For me anyways, my existence made a positive presence / impact to someone. That's something to feel good about.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #1012
Banned By Establishment

I was approaching a 4 way stop intersection and noticed a Translink bus and a few cars driving in my lane in the opposite direction. After all the traffic passed, I see an elderly lady outside on the other side blocking the road with her van and just walking back and forth with a concern look on her face and looking at cars driving by her. So I roll up and asked her if she needed any help. She said needs a tow truck because her van keeps stopping by itself and there's a flashing red light on her dash. I was blocking the road as well so I went to pull over to the side and walked to her van. The flashing red light was because she has been driving with her parking brake on. I told her that and she has no clue what the parking brake is. She said a relative help get the van out of the snow at her house nearby and must have used the parking brake. So I told her where the parking brake is and told her how to use it. She thought her van was going to catch fire because of the flashing red light
Old 03-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #1013
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
The store next to my Post Office had cheap tulips on sale, I picked up several bushels and took them to one of my neighbours that is a lonely widow; as of late she has lost her son, one of her daughters, her husband (who was a good friend of mine), and now her other daughter is dying of cancer. I figured she probably hasn't had a man give her flowers in a long time unless death was involved. She was very happy to get them.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #1014
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Had kfc everyday during lunch time for a month here in china and reason is cuz everything u buy, u can add an extra $1 and that proses go to help poor villages in remote areas in china (mostly up on mountains)

And sometimes when i wait in line and hear ppl not willing to donate a $1, i would do it for them when its my turn to order

Great event that last for a month (well i didn't know when it started, but i found out about it was a month), just couldnt have kfc/fried chicken for a long time as i found it repulsive lol (also too much fried stuff, my face was have zits and stuff that i had bitter tea handle 24/7)

I used to hand out cigarette to homeless ppl that look for buds on the streets, but my co-worker told me that i should be careful as it might be scam to get money off u, so i stopped

Still remember a homeless dude complain about my menthol double blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 03-12-2017 at 02:26 PM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #1015
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Asian lady had her car break down in front of a bus stop, she approached me and asked if i could call into roadside assistance and speak to them as she couldn't really understand the automated part of the phone call. I called into the roadside assistance and spoke to the CSR. I provided them all the necessary information and I advised the lady how long before a tow truck arrives and what to do. The CSR said it was nice of me to help the lady out.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #1016
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Taught my son a good lesson today - I found a woman's wallet in an empty cart left in the middle of the Walmart parking lot, so I tried to call her house but no answer, so I dropped it off at the RCMP detachment. My son was initially surprised she would leave her wallet laying around with $150 in it, as that is a lot of money in his mind, which I told him is exactly why we need to return it to her; it is the honest and right thing to do regardless of the money.

The woman called me later in the day, overjoyed and surprised we returned everything to her including her money - turns out, she is a senior that works for a non-profit organization and she is always giving to others in our community without asking for anything in return, and no one has ever done anything so nice for her. I said "well, you can't say no one anymore." She wanted to get my address to send us something, but I refused and let her know that chivalry is not dead, and I am raising my boys in the belief that good things happen to good people, so act accordingly. It sounds like it was past her turn.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #1017
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Plus, it's contagious. Helping out others no matter what the situation is a step in the right direction. Ensuring our children's children's children live in a kinder place. In a dog eat dog world, it's good to see some good. Also, kindness used to be a given in our part of the world. Not seeing too much of it these days. I wAnder why?

Anyway, keep on keeping on, Zedbra. I just wish this thread would be a bit more active and filled with stories from more than just a few of the regulars.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #1018
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
At my apartment I was at the concierge desk chatting with the concierge(I was getting my package from him). Anyways a lady came back trying to talk to him. But she doesn't speaks English much. Since I know a little bit of Chinese I just ask her if she needs any help. Turns out she locks her keys and her purse inside her car and need to call CAA. So I told the concierge and we got CAA number and I explain to the agent on the phone what happen.

Another time this dude was in one of those pikachu PJ (the one that look like costume I kid you not he was a guy......). Anyways he was talking to the concierge saying he was cooking and somehow the fire alarm went off most likely he over fry something). the concierge try to explain how to turn the fire alarm off but he wasn't getting it. I offer to go up to his suite and show him.

I was rather surprise that he came to the concierge desk with a PJ. I mean the worse I have done was wearing my raggy T-shirt and shorts when i go throw garbage but never PJ out of my apartment......That's the PJ he was wearing......

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 10-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #1019
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Saw someone's car get hit in the office complex about two hours ago and told the owner. I waited for the offender to leave first cause she knew I saw her hit the car LOL. I took the plate down and gave a contact number. Hopefully ICBC takes care of them, is there anything else I can do to help? I've never been a witness before.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #1020
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Saw someone's car get hit in the office complex about two hours ago and told the owner. I waited for the offender to leave first cause she knew I saw her hit the car LOL. I took the plate down and gave a contact number. Hopefully ICBC takes care of them, is there anything else I can do to help? I've never been a witness before.
Let ICBC and the owner take care of the incident. The owner has your contact information, so ICBC will contact you to verify your statement. Other than that, just wait.

I was a witness of an accident where a driver ran a red light and hit another driver who tried to turn left while in the opposite direction. I gave my contact information to both drivers, as I didn't want anyone to get screwed over... ICBC contacted me on behalf of the driver who made the left turn. I had a dash cam at the time, and I gave a copy of the video to ICBC. No other questions after that.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #1021
MG1

I was at the small parking lot at Kensington Square this afternoon. I had just parked and was about to get out when I saw this SUV backing out. The driver was having a helluva time trying to back out. After multiple attempts, I got out in the pouring rain to help direct the driver. I was expecting some senior or a C-Lai. Nope. It was a middle aged Caucasian woman. She kept pointing/blaming the truck that was beside her. That is was too long. The problem was she kept turning the wheel the wrong way. Anyway, I got her out in two back and forth moves. She thanked me profusely and................ get this. She said, “god bless,” to me lol.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #1022
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I was at the small parking lot at Kensington Square this afternoon. I had just parked and was about to get out when I saw this SUV backing out. The driver was having a helluva time trying to back out. After multiple attempts, I got out in the pouring rain to help direct the driver. I was expecting some senior or a C-Lai. Nope. It was a middle aged Caucasian woman. She kept pointing/blaming the truck that was beside her. That is was too long. The problem was she kept turning the wheel the wrong way. Anyway, I got her out in two back and forth moves. She thanked me profusely and................ get this. She said, “god bless,” to me lol.
BUT THATS YOUR HERP A DERP STATEMENT!!!!!! how dare she god bless you back.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #1023
MG1

She was genuinely sincere and thanking me with a little god/jesus twist.

I wasn't offended at all.

In my younger days, I used to be bothered by it all. Like how dare you bless me with your god. It's not my god, ffs.

Then I realized that they're christian and it's their duty to push their beliefs on others. I just shrug it off now. It's their way of saying they love me and that they want me to be saved by god. My christian friends pray for me when I'm going through health issues or a loss. That's okay, everything and anything helps in troubled times.

BTW, it's not a herp a derp statement. It's way more complicated than that. If I say god bless to a christian, it indicates to them you are also a christian - you are part of the cult - you get special treatment and forgiveness. So, Badhobz, god bless.

Last edited by MG1; 04-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #1024
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Took my daughter to the Aquarium on the long weekend because I had a voucher that was expiring. The pass admits up to four adults but it was just the two of us and she’s young enough to be free. The folks behind me in line were a mixture of local and out of towners from up North. They had a couple passes they bought using air miles but I just took them in with me and my voucher. I think they passed on the good will by giving their passes away.

Acts like this are no brainers. Didn’t cost me anything and totally made other people’s day. In turn, they reciprocated to someone else and so on and so on.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #1025
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuracura View Post
Took my daughter to the Aquarium on the long weekend because I had a voucher that was expiring. The pass admits up to four adults but it was just the two of us and she’s young enough to be free. The folks behind me in line were a mixture of local and out of towners from up North. They had a couple passes they bought using air miles but I just took them in with me and my voucher. I think they passed on the good will by giving their passes away.

Acts like this are no brainers. Didn’t cost me anything and totally made other people’s day. In turn, they reciprocated to someone else and so on and so on.

Yikes. One adult pass is 40 bucks.
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote