REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #201
Founder, RS Veteran

Was front row at the Jayz/Kanye West concert. Kept stepping on something weird near my seat. Finally, dawned on me it might be someones stuff. Low and behold.. a wallet! Asked those standing around me who's wallet it is. Must have asked about 8 people. Damn, I'm missing my concert =/ Wife asked to look inside the wallet--$50! and no takers! Ahhh... moral conscience got me to ask one last guy in the front. Tapped his shoulder (must have thought I was crazy).. showed him the wallet and his eyes grew big. Yup, that's his. Thanked me. That's it. The concert continued.

Story untold, until I saw this thread again
Advertisement

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #202
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
My taekwondo place is doing a blanket drive for the homeless in downtown

If you have any blankets/socks/wools/furs that you don't use anymore, take some time to consider and offer it to a homeless person
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #203
My homepage has been set to RS

Not taking anything from the act of kindness Jace, but what if (and I mean IF) lol, that it wasn't the rightful owners' wallet?

subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #204
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Story 1

Couple of months ago I was in Surrey filling some gas and I noticed a elder lady trying to fill air in her car. She was having a lot of difficulty and I offered her some help and filled the air for her. I also had a air gauge which I gave to her and told her to check her air pressure at least once a week. I also gave her my phone number if she ever needed any car assistance or advice.

Story 2

About a year ago I was at Save Ons after we had fasted 30 days (Ramadan) and we were buying stuff for Eid (our celebration). This old man came up to me and told me he had no food and just lost his job. Initially I hesitated but my sister said no we have to give him money. I said to him can we buy you grocery's, he agreed and I spent about 100 bucks on him. I figured I just spent 30 days of not eating between sunrise and sunset and this man and his family are starving 24/7. I also gave him my phone number if he ever need any more groceries.

Story 3

On the 31st of December our community is cooking for 300 people in the downtown east side. We will be there from 12pm-3pm and welcome any people from RS to help our or donate to our cause.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #205

Great work Fsy82,

Takes a lot of will to take the man's situation at face value. Hope it pays forward in dividends for you.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #206
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Story 2

About a year ago I was at Save Ons after we had fasted 30 days (Ramadan) and we were buying stuff for Eid (our celebration). This old man came up to me and told me he had no food and just lost his job. Initially I hesitated but my sister said no we have to give him money. I said to him can we buy you grocery's, he agreed and I spent about 100 bucks on him. I figured I just spent 30 days of not eating between sunrise and sunset and this man and his family are starving 24/7. I also gave him my phone number if he ever need any more groceries.
Did he consider going to the food bank? Or did you tell him about it at least. Good job though, hats off to you.

Anyways, every now and then I like to bring my bag of change with me while I'm walking my dog, and add time to the parking meters that have expired or are on the brink of expiring. It pisses off the meter maids but they can suck on my shaved testicles.

Merry Christmas,
its a celebration bitches.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #207
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
No stories to share off the top of my head.
But I just stumbled upon this video.

Pretty cool. Looks like it was done all in one shot too.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #208
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Today I saw an old man walking out of Joyce Skytrain Station without an umbrella in the rain.
I asked him if he was cold after seeing him wearing only 2 layers of clothing that looked pretty thin. I knew he was going to be sick walking in the rain, so I decided to drive him home which was 4 blocks from the station.
He kindly thanked me for driving him home, and offered me to come inside for a coffee but refused because I had somewhere else to go.
ForeverYours is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #209
Founder, RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Not taking anything from the act of kindness Jace, but what if (and I mean IF) lol, that it wasn't the rightful owners' wallet?

This was going through my mind each person I asked. But all of them gave a similar reaction.. A quick "no" response but a "what if I said yes?!" look. The last guy's response was different.. It was immediate and a very disbelief look. He patted his back pocket and had a OMFG reaction. Lots of behavioural cues that a person who really lost his wallet would do.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #210
Olive Garden Santa

Last year during Christmas break I was down in Bellingham with my girlfriend doing some shopping. We decided to go to Olive Garden for a bite before we headed back to Vancouver. While sitting there, I overheard the family next to us talking about how money was tight and that their meal at Olive Garden was their gift to the kids. After listening to a child (under 8 years old) tell his father not to worry and that they had each other, I almost cried. We had just sat down, ordered drinks and the other group was almost finished. I got up, told my girlfriend I was heading to the washroom, went to the front, paid for that families meal and asked the waitress not to tell the family who paid. I sat down and watched the faces of that family when the waitress told them their bill was taken care of. I would do it again in a second if I could. Karma comes around and the feeling of giving is amazing.

I haven't told anybody this story, not even the girlfriend that day.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays RS.

Last edited by akyr; 12-27-2011 at 05:06 PM.
akyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #211
Banned By Establishment

my christmas was fulfilled when i took my nephews and nieces to the rink and taught them how to skate [=
vanessabee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #212
Founder, RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyr View Post
Last year during Christmas break I was down in Bellingham with my girlfriend doing some shopping. We decided to go to Olive Garden for a bite before we headed back to Vancouver. While sitting there, I overheard the family next to us talking about how money was tight and that their meal at Olive Garden was their gift to the kids. After listening to a child (under 8 years old) tell his father not to worry and that they had each other, I almost cried. We had just sat down, ordered drinks and the other group was almost finished. I got up, told my girlfriend I was heading to the washroom, went to the front, paid for that families meal and asked the waitress not to tell the family who paid. I sat down and watched the faces of that family when the waitress told them their bill was taken care of. I would do it again in a second if I could. Karma comes around and the feeling of giving is amazing.

Nicely done. Random acts of kindness with no strings attached. True heart right there
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #213
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Was at Zellers yesterday and I had an extra copy of the 50% off coupon that I wasn't going to use, and I saw a mom and dad buying some Nerf guns for their kid and some other stuff, and I gave them the coupon to use. Later when I passed by them on my way out of the parking lot, asked if it went okay, and he was so happy saying he saved $15.

Doesn't compare to akyr's story, but it's still something.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #214
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Not that big of a deal but I went out for Dim Sum today and there was this old Asian man that coule hardly walk creeping up to the door. I just held the door open for him while it took him a couple of mins to walk through the entrance.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #215
Director of RS Cares

This is a great thread! Reading some of these entries actually made me get a little teary

This isn't a super awesome story or anything..but...

A RS member turned in a lost cellphone at one of our spring meets (probably..2-3 years ago), I called the owner's mother to call one her (it belonged to a girl) friends to alert her and to pick the phone up from the RS booth. The girl came by maybe 15 minutes later, ID'd her and then left. No thank you, no nothing. Just turned around and walked off. Some RS staff were pretty peeved..but that's life.

There are lots of amazing people out there who do things out of niceness and I ask to continue! Not just because it's the holiday season, but you can change someone's life with the smallest act of kindess.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #216
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:

Holy smokes this story gave me chills. Good on you. You're a big inspiration.

My story doesn't even compare.. But at one of the buildings I work at, their cleaner is a 50-60 year old Spanish guy who is obviously overworked and underpaid. There's no community lunchroom or anything in this building, so sometimes when I walk by, I see him just sitting by himself on a box of toilet paper in a storage room during his breaks, just drinking a cup of water. I always say hey to him everytime I see him in the morning.

Last week I was talking to him, and he told me that they're cutting his hours from 8 hour shifts to 7 hour shifts, and he still has to get all the work done in that time. (Wtf?) I decided to get him a coffee and a donut from Tim Hortons, along with a big chicken dinner from Earls. I told him it was a Christmas gift paid for by my company, but really it was from me.
I know it doesn't help him with his work situation.. but $30 out of my day to not make him feel so bad, especially during the holidays, is a price I was happy to pay.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-29-2011 at 04:03 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #217
nlo
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I just wanted to say thank you to all the RS members in here. Its people like you who make life worth living. Thanks.
nlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #218
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Gave 2$ to a young male who looked completly drunk for tix ride back home, offered him a ride but he declined
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #219
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
I guess this isnt a 'random' act of kindness but over the summer this year, I organized a major charity walk with a highly motivated team in vancouver called Walk for Smiles, in which all of the proceeds went directly to Starlight Foundation canada , a charity that helps terminally ill children and their families get through adversities day by day. The walk was aimed directly for youths as well as adults and i was in charge of the youths portion of the walk. I devised a 5km trail around Pacific Spirit Regional park as well as implemented children games along the trail which were aimed towards environmental sustainability education. The charity walk was extremely successful in which we raised over $21,000 for the Foundation, through pledges and sponsorhips across Vancouver. It was extremely heartwarming to be part of this, and a few days after our event, I was informed that $500 of our donated money already went directly to sponsor a 5-day Hawaii trip for a child facing Leukemia as part of the "Wish Granting Program" of Starlight. Basically, the child had written a wish to go to Hawaii and Starlight's Wish Granting program had granted it with our money. Anyway, again, this probably wasn't a 'random' act of kindness, but our success in this event was definitely something I didn't foresee.
Anyway, if you have a family or friend facing terminal illness, please donate or at least look into Starlight foundation, they truly are a phenomenal program.
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 02:02 AM   #220
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post

Story 2

you fasted for 30 days?
I would LOVE to hear your experience.
What were the rules/restrictions...

That is extremely impressive

(ps. if you do end up replying to this can you please PM to let me know. I don't check this thread very often Thanks!!!)
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #221
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

was getting off work and walked by a lone phone, so i picked it up and called the dad. i left it at the closest mcd and im assuming he picked it up
VooDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #222
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,071 Times in 346 Posts
in about Aug, i lost my wallet(which had everything) around parker place, and i was so upset. started replacing everything 2 days after. about 3-4 days later someone rang the doorbell and when i opened it a asian fella in his 20's was at my door holding my wallet "is this yours?" i was so shocked. he said he found it on the ground in parker place and had to go to work so he couldnt return it right away, but on his day off he looked inside more closely to find my drivers license and looked for my address. he drove a white 05-06 STI with stock rims and bodykit. if you're on RS thanks man.
ThatKoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #223

Quote:

I don't think Vancouver is in as bad of a situation like this (mostly due to recession)

But if any of you know of any families similar to this type of situation locally, i'll be more than happy to make a contribution to these families and have others help contribute as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #224

Couple years ago my friend was driving me home after I was drinking. We were sitting at a red light when all of a sudden we see a car ahead randomly crash into a parked car. As we continue to drive closer a lady from across the street comes out to check on the older lady in the car. By the time we got to the crashed car there was smoke and a small fire. My friend threw on his brakes and I got out immediately without thinking and gave a hand. We carried her across the street to get away from the smoke and fire. She was old, was having breathing problems and seemed to have had a stroke. So we constrained her neck from moving too much, grabbed a rag to cover the cut on her head and tried to explain to her for the next 15minutes until help came what was happening. When the firemen and paramedics came I answered a few questions for them regarding what happened then went on my own way.

Last edited by dbaz; 01-03-2012 at 01:19 AM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #225
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

3 years ago (still in highschool) i went shopping at superstore in mission, It was super hot out and noticed an older man at the entrance who could barely stand. I got a list from him and got him to sit near the entrance where the air conditioning was and ran around to get his stuff and when i got to the till he didnt give me enough money but i covered it and carried it out to the car for him. He told me that he was thankful for my help and told me that if i want a job, Talk to his son that took over mission towing and tell him what i did

I was just glad to help, Then i got my stuff and left to go to 1 of my 3 jobs

Near the beginning of November there was a snow storm in mission while i was staying at a friends place. We were bored so we hopped in his Cherokee and went driving around to plan the best way to get to work in the morning. We were driving up Stave lake road towards dewdney trunk road and it got really sick near Best ave. Out of the blue a silver civic comes down the top (Steepest part) out of control missing a big lifted truck that was just spinning its tires, and shoots off the edge of the road into the big ditch with the driver side bumper. We hit the 4 ways and Jumped out expecting there to be injuries but the husband and wife were fine along with their teenage son.

We helped them climb out of the car while holding the door since the car was on about a 45 degree angle, I noticed the wife left her purse so i grabbed it for her and we drove them home. They were all worried about their daughters car hahaha, she told them to take her car him since it had all seasons and asked them not to crash it Drove by later to check on the car and it was being pulled out of the ditch by a tow truck

Last edited by Prolowtone; 01-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: