REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #376
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
This case might be slightly different. If you're giving someone food that you already have and they refuse it, it's pretty clear they just want money. However, as you described it here, I can see why someone homeless would want $7 instead of a hot dog, because they can stretch that $7 into four meals instead of one hot dog.

Not saying this was the intention of this particular guy, but just saying it's possible.
Whoops, sorry. I guess I was unclear with my wording.
I already had the hot dog in hand.
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #377
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I can understand where your coming from. But I've had the situation of being told to "fuck off" when I try to give a homeless person food instead of money. Leads me to the point where if you don't look like your in desperate need, I just shrug you off.
I fully agree with this. I gave $10 to a bum sitting on the corner of Alberni/Thurlow, and I told him to get himself some food at the Mcdonalds. Where did he go? down alberni st to the liquor store.

What really opened my eyes towards the homeless and less fortunate is 3 years ago when I traveled to Hong Kong/Shenzhen. This homeless guy looked like he hasn't showered in over a year, stunk, and was truly down on his luck, and no legs or arms. But to him, getting by was creating calligraphy using his mouth and relying on tips. I gave him 300HKD because his physical disability is something he isn't in control of, and I truly felt sorry for the guy.

As Melloman said, unless you're desperate , I'll shrug you off and there's a lot more desperate people out there than the bums in Vancouver. Especially those bums you see on granville st that hold out their cups on a stick like a fishing pole. There's no way in hell I'll give you a dime. You have working legs and arms, get a job.

Some of my friends wonder why I'm so harsh to some homeless people and not to others, this is the reason why.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #378
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Whoops, sorry. I guess I was unclear with my wording.
I already had the hot dog in hand.
Yeah, in that case, he's just an asshat that deserves no offers or food or money.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #379
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
^ was it at japadog? Theres always a bum who leaves his cup filled with coins and he purposely leaves it out further than usual so people can kick it and give him change. i was waiting for the bus and it got kicked over 4 times in like 15 minutes.
no, i think it was on granville street just outside payless shoes... he did have his cup out pretty far though, it might be the same guy
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #380
I am Hook'd on RS

ive jumped started 2 peoples cars in the last month
Marcosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #381
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Little off topic, but this may help with those who give money to beggars.

So I've worked outside on the streets of Gastown for a year. I feel that I have a knowledgeable and first hand opinion on giving money to the beggars. First off, I don't call them homeless because a lot of them do have homes in the SRO's and are not homeless.

This is from my first hand experience. Their is not a single person I have ever encountered, and I talk to them regularly ever day, that EVER EVER EVER take money for food. Its for drugs. I'm sorry to say, but I have seen every story ever told to the same tourists over and over again, listened to ever story possible and seen from my own eyes street people taking money for "food" and collecting $10 bucks over the day for a hit of whatever their addicted to.

Food is plentiful in the Eastside. It's extremely easy to get free food all over. When someone on the streets asks for money for food, their 99% of the time bullshitting you. Shelters offer food all the time for free. Carnegie Hall has full meals for a buck or two.

Almost every person on the Eastside is addicted. It's a reality that I feel is blinded by our inability to conceptualize that every person in a community can be addicted to a drug. Its hard not to want to help someone out when they seem hungry and are less fortunate than us. I can't talk for every person on the streets that asks for money, but I do feel that most people are just addicts and are just scamming you for money...

Last thing I want to say is that I do know a fair amount of stories of how they ended up addicted. Their is always two themes I see. Physical pain and mental issues. Tons of addicts stories are similar. They were injured way back at work, or in a car accident. They got terrible settlements from ICBC and Work Safe BC. They were prescribed pain killers like Oxycontin and unfortunately got addicted as it was the only way to stop the pain. It seems like a lot of them have spinal and back issues. Because they can't work physical demanding labor jobs, which is the industry most of them worked in previously, and because they got terrible workers compensation, they got caught up in drug dealing to make a living, and drug addiction to curb their pain.

Mental disability is even worse. It's a drug dealers perfect client. A lot of the people in the Eastside are schizophrenic. Schizophrenic's take Chrystal Meth because it actually slows down their thoughts and they feel it is the only time when they are sane. From our perspective we watch them and they seem like their lunatics, screaming, running around being completely fucked up. But in their minds, they are actually sane for once. It's why schizophrenic such are such bad drug users. They want to be high all the time, because they cant deal with their thoughts when the are not.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #382
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I've been hit with some pretty hard times. Thankfully the hours are picking up at work and the semester is over but i've been getting a lot of free meals. Infact I recall on a server I play on, I had 7 pizza's ordered to my door one night.

The genorosity from the different communities I have been on have been fantastic.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #383
I STILL don't get it

A pedestrian got struck by a car just around the corner from where I work so I pulled over to offer help/my jacket since it was pouring rain last night. She was already on the phone with the ambulance. Couldn't really offer much help as the korean lady who hit her didn't speak english. Today I receive a message from someone I know who drove by last night and she thought I was the driver...
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #384
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
What really opened my eyes towards the homeless and less fortunate is 3 years ago when I traveled to Hong Kong/Shenzhen. This homeless guy looked like he hasn't showered in over a year, stunk, and was truly down on his luck, and no legs or arms. But to him, getting by was creating calligraphy using his mouth and relying on tips. I gave him 300HKD because his physical disability is something he isn't in control of, and I truly felt sorry for the guy.
RicePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #385
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Was at Cactus Club the other day. A guy at the other table, got up to leave and dropped his scarf. I picked it up and returned it. No biggie.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #386
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Nothing epic like PJ's story but I was a recipient of a random act of kindness today.

Had to go downtown for a friend's dinner, decided to park at Scotiabank Theatre... and just as I parked and was about to pay, was approached by a woman in late 20's, told me she was leaving and asked if I wanted her parking space, which was already paid for the whole night. I asked if she was sure and as soon as she gave me the parking receipt and the "ok" I graciously said thanks! After dinner, as I was heading back down to the parkade, I noticed a couple who were just about to pay for their parking stall, so I walked to them and told them the same thing I was told by the woman earlier. They happily accepted the receipt, said thanks and we each happily went along our own ways.

Just appreciative and glad that good people do exist and are all around us....

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #387
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
I've also seen the exact same situation before in Hong Kong. A guy laying on the floor with his head shaking uncontrollably, missing all his limbs with a bowl in front of him. Hair in a mess, stinks like piss and really dirty.
I felt compelled to give him a couple dollars because I felt really bad for him but my friend who's a local in HK told me not to. I asked him why and he asked me a question in return, what do you think this man who has no arms and legs is going to do with this money? You notice he can't talk either? It's probably because his tongue was cut out so he can't tell you the truth. The fact is that he was probably a low level gangster, somebody who owed a lot of money to some very bad people, or was kidnapped. Truth is if you give "him" money, gang members, the same ones that did this to him, will come by every few hours and scoop the money out of the cups. So in a sense you are supporting this type of violence and cruelty because it profits them.

I don't know how true this is but it does make sense...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #388
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I've also seen the exact same situation before in Hong Kong. A guy laying on the floor with his head shaking uncontrollably, missing all his limbs with a bowl in front of him. Hair in a mess, stinks like piss and really dirty.
I felt compelled to give him a couple dollars because I felt really bad for him but my friend who's a local in HK told me not to. I asked him why and he asked me a question in return, what do you think this man who has no arms and legs is going to do with this money? You notice he can't talk either? It's probably because his tongue was cut out so he can't tell you the truth. The fact is that he was probably a low level gangster, somebody who owed a lot of money to some very bad people, or was kidnapped. Truth is if you give "him" money, gang members, the same ones that did this to him, will come by every few hours and scoop the money out of the cups. So in a sense you are supporting this type of violence and cruelty because it profits them.

i would say 90% true. This happens all the time in China. Many kids are kidnapped and have their limbs amputated to gain sympathy from by-passers. If you have watched the move Slumdog millionare, that pretty much depicts the situation.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #389
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

So, PJ, hows it going with the girl?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #390
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
^^

i have heard that story from my mom. that is true how would they spend it
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #391
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
So, PJ, hows it going with the girl?
Took her out for coffee and dinner a few times since then..
And it turns out.. that job that she moved here from Toronto to interview for?
Yeah, she didn't get it.

She's just been working random waitress/odd jobs until her next move I guess.
This girl is BARELY scraping by. As in paycheque to paycheque, down to the dollar. She's very lucky that her friends are letting her crash on their couch until she gets on her feet. Apparently her 2 friends and myself are the only 3 people she knows in the city.

I felt really bad for her and want to help get her on track, but at the same time I didn't want it to feel like I'm giving her charity. Of course I insisted on paying for the meals (which she put up a fight for), and told her to give me a shout if she needed anything. I also put in a word for her to a few friends who work in the restaurant business to give a shout if any positions come up.

She's a very smart and driven individual. Just can't seem to catch a break.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #392
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Damn PJ, you sure you're not this guy with all the help you put out there?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #393
PJ

Haha it all depends on the situation.. It's not like I go looking for people in trouble. But if I stumble upon someone I can help, why not?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #394
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:

Holy fuck that is terrible. Its a never ending cycle it seems like.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #395
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I was waiting for takeout today at Mui Ngo Gai located on Kingsway and Victoria. It's my usual Vietnamese place I find it to be pretty good. So I was waiting for takeout and I was reading Wired magazine. I got really into reading it and in the end when my food came out, the manager came out and told me I could take the magazine home. I was super surprised and I told them that I couldn't do it. But they told me that they gave away a couple of these magazines to youngsters like myself because we were so interested in the magazine.

These guys are awesome and I really appreciate what they did. Not only that they offered me free coke to bring home to my family as well. I had to deny them because I know they're running a business but the offer sure is generous.

Small things like these make a person's day. I will definitely pass on the kindness they have shown.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #396
PJ

Advertisement plug?
Haha jk

Yeah a lot of independent restaurant owners are super friendly. My friend's dad has a pizza joint, and he always offers toddlers free juice.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #397
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

You know I never really thought of it this way. Being a CBC with pretty much zero knowledge of the asian gang/underground life it never really occurred to me that this could be a possibility and it does make sense.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #398
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Was getting off the bus today, when I noticed a lady running full sleep to catch the bus. In doing so, she dropped her phone. I quickly picked it up, ran back inside, and passed it to the nearest person and told them to give it to the lady, who was in the back with a "where's my phone?!" Look on her face.

I felt good about myself, good that I did a random act of kindness. Brand new samsung galaxy 2, I couldve pocketed it and sold it, but I never evem thought of it until after. I guess I want to be a better person and have the same done to me
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #399
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Was getting off the bus today, when I noticed a lady running full sleep to catch the bus. In doing so, she dropped her phone. I quickly picked it up, ran back inside, and passed it to the nearest person and told them to give it to the lady, who was in the back with a "where's my phone?!" Look on her face.

I felt good about myself, good that I did a random act of kindness. Brand new samsung galaxy 2, I couldve pocketed it and sold it, but I never evem thought of it until after. I guess I want to be a better person and have the same done to me
I always, always, always, always try to get cellphones back to their owners. You never know what's in it.

My aunt's phone got stolen years back.. and it had all the pictures of my other aunt's newborn baby on it. She was so sad

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #400
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Not me, but it warmed my heart nonetheless

Global BC | Bus passengers pass the hat to help woman see dying mom on Vancouver Island
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote