REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #426
dL
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I respect drivers who leave a distance betwee cars and do not tail me like an ass. So when I was approaching a red light on the right lane and the Benz coupe behind me was signaling right, I decided to signal and change lane to the left since both lanes were clear so the Benz wouldn't be stuck for a minute or so.

dL
Advertisement
dL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #427
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Could have sworn I posted about this when it happened; must have been somewhere else.

This was probably the last day I was in Victoria before coming home for the summer. Anyway, after I moved my girlfriend out of her place for when she went back to Toronto for the summer, I caught the bus back to my usual stop. Before it left, there was an elderly man, probably 80+, talking to the bus driver who stated that he knew of his story as the driver of another bus told him that this man needed to get to Shelbourne Plaza. The Plaza was a place I walked past every day to get the bus to campus, and was literally a two minute walk from my house. So I decided to pipe up and say "I live right by there, if you want, I'll go with you and help you find it."

So when the bus got to the stop I get off at, I told him that we were getting off here and we both started to walk to the Plaza. He was a pretty nice guy and had an unfortunate case where he couldn't drive anymore because it was getting too difficult to climb in and out of his car; he was just learning the bus routes as of earlier that week. Anyway, so we walked for about 5 minutes until I pointed saying that the Plaza was just across the street. He took out a paper stating he needed to get to Island Inkjet, which I knew had just opened in the Plaza. So I told him I'd walk him right there. We got to the store and I helped him inside, where he then asked how to get to Hillside Mall. This I also knew, as the bus stop across from the Plaza took you straight there. I gave him the best directions I could, as I needed to get to my house to start cleaning/packing as my roommate had left the day before and didn't clean anything. He thanked me and we parted ways. Felt pretty good that day.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #428
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I was at tim hortons waiting to buy my morning coffee. There is a guy in front of me who looks a bit down on his luck and I see him order a dozen doughnuts and a coffee. He goes to pay with a Tim Card but she's telling him he doesn't have enough money he's short a few bucks. He tells her that's all he has and she's like well sorry. I tell her to give him his card back I'll get it. He looks at me and is thanks me a bunch of times before leaving.

He thought I made his morning but he actually made mine.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #429
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Was going for lunch and noticed a homeless man asking for change in a mall parking lot. Went over to him and asked him if he wanted pizza. Poor guy thought I was security and mumbled "No problem" several times and tried to walk away. Told him he misunderstood and that I'm not security and repeated what I said. He agreed and off we went for some pizza.

We sat at the pizza joint and chatted. He told me he has been down on luck and couldn't find a job. At the time I was a lot attendant at a dealership and turns out he used to be one too.. Let him know where the auto mall I worked for was and he should stop by and try. He thanked me and I wished him luck.
1creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #430
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
a story that happened to me last winter but feel i should share.

last winter me and the gf decided to go dt for dinner and to wander around and enjoy the snow when we came across a homeless man on the side of the street, most of the time we just walk passed and act like we dont notice but the difference with this man is that he was begging for food, no money or nothing, just food. as we were passing him i considered how good my life is even with how messed up it actually is, but even then ive never been put into a position where i had to beg for food and this got to me. me and the gf were planning a very large expensive dinner but after we passed that man i couldnt shake the feeling i got, we decided to go eat at a@w "she wasnt to pleased" and when i was walking out i decided to get a large meal and a hot chocolate for the man. we made a 10 min walk back in the cold to deliver this man a meal, when we got back he was crying with his head on the ground and i placed the meal in front of him and i literally have never seen anyone so happy/ grateful in my life, that was defiantly a turning point in my life, just to be more compassionate to others because everyone needs help sometimes.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #431
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
this didn't happen with me but to my dad.

My parents were going out for dim sum and noticed their neighbor about to mow the lawn. They come back and a bit later and they see the neighbor face down on the sidewalk. My dad checked on the guy and had to help him back into his house. The neighbor's wife eventually came home and they took him to the hospital where my dad waited with them for a few hours while the neighbor got checked out. Apparently he had a minor heart attack and ended up staying in the hospital for a few days. About a week after the incident, the wife dropped by my parents with some nice flowers and thanked my dad for helping her husband.

My dad is over 70 and I'm quite proud of him for doing what he did =)
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #432
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
of joy reading this thread. *subscribed*

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #433

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Got a coffee for a homeless guy who was begging for one around the corner from Blenz...
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #434
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I love reading the stuff in this thread.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #435
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This was something that was done to my wife and I and saved us a few bucks.

Last night we were at Walmart buying some groceries. We were in the baby isle getting some diapers and diaper genie packs. One lady advised us we can get the diaper genie refills for cheaper at Costco and another lady said to get the pampers diapers that were on rollback at the front of the store that i didn't see. All in all they saved me 20 bucks
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #436
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
This should be here...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #437
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Fuarkkk gettin goosebumps reading all these heart warming messages, there's a simple concept I've learned as a highschool student and always keep it in my thoughts. Pay it forward, do something kind to someone, anything small, big, doesn't matter and it will have a trickle effect and brings not only positive emotions to you, but to others. Imagine if 1 pay it forward to another, and they do it to another etc etc, it will be an infinite loop!
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #438
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
I was driving home on the east west connector when I saw a couple guys stuck, I stop and turns out they ran out ta gas, I drive the guy to the gas station and back and during the ride he tells me he does renos and if I need work he'd hook me up, I said I don't need any ATM and still took his number.
Fast forward a couple weeks, my mom needed some work done at her place and as I was helping her find someone to do the work I saw the guys number and decided to call him, he said sure he'd do it......but he only had enough gas to get to the house and if I could meet him at the gas station to get him some gas I just said nm my mom found someone to do the work.....wtf right
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #439

I was taking the bus from downtown back home, the 135 precisely that went past Hastings and Main. I was previously volunteering for an event downtown and I received a free t-shirt as thanks for my help. Halfway to Main, I thought about the shirt and how I was definetly not going to wear it because it was size L. So almost at Main I see a lot of hobos and so I thought out of nowhere to give them my shirt. I got off the bus to a corner where I always see a man begging for money. I handed him the shirt and he smiled back with the words "Thank you." The next time I turn around, I see him putting on the shirt.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #440

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Went to McDonalds the other day and there was a homeless man who asked for money because he has aids and he can't work. I gave him a 5 and he asked for another.
You really can't tell who is honest these days and who is just a junkie in disguise looking for some cash to buy another hit...
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #441
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Went to McDonalds the other day and there was a homeless man who asked for money because he has aids and he can't work. I gave him a 5 and he asked for another.
You really can't tell who is honest these days and who is just a junkie in disguise looking for some cash to buy another hit...

that's why I would give food rather than money
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #442
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak View Post
I was driving home on the east west connector when I saw a couple guys stuck, I stop and turns out they ran out ta gas, I drive the guy to the gas station and back and during the ride he tells me he does renos and if I need work he'd hook me up, I said I don't need any ATM and still took his number.
Fast forward a couple weeks, my mom needed some work done at her place and as I was helping her find someone to do the work I saw the guys number and decided to call him, he said sure he'd do it......but he only had enough gas to get to the house and if I could meet him at the gas station to get him some gas I just said nm my mom found someone to do the work.....wtf right
Douchebag. Some people don't deserve to be helped.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #443
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I normally go to IGA and grab a soup and sandwhich for lunch. I purchased an extra soup and gave it to the homeless man who's always infront of the store. I see this man regularly. I knocked over his change cup one time :S

I always find myself parking next to people digging through their purses/pockets looking for meter change and I always give them what I've got.

Have yet to received this act though

Last edited by radioman; 10-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #444
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman66 View Post
I normally go to IGA and grab a soup and sandwhich for lunch. I purchased an extra soup and gave it to the homeless man who's always infront of the store. I see this man regularly. I knocked over his change cup one time :S
Was at Burrad last night and I saw somegirl did that too@@ But I think the homeless guy did it on purpose(like placing his cut into people's path)....... Anyways it was around 12:30am and my and my gf was just chilling around seadside just having fun when a homeless came up for change.... scare us a bit and we just walk to another place LOL.

If he didn't spoil our monent or sounded so creepy we would have give him some change..... now I feel bad.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #445
Need my Daily Fix of RS

went for an checkup at LDE yesterday and noticed an SUV ahead of me had run out of time on their meter. i threw in some change so hopefully it helped prevent a ticket or worse. I would assume they had lost track of time and not just too cheap to pay for parking

Quebec plate so welcome to BC.
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #446
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZordosZZ View Post
went for an checkup at LDE yesterday and noticed an SUV ahead of me had run out of time on their meter. i threw in some change so hopefully it helped prevent a ticket or worse. I would assume they had lost track of time and not just too cheap to pay for parking

Quebec plate so welcome to BC.
Good intentions, but you shouldn't do this from now on because you could be wasting money without actually helping anyone.

You can pay by phone or pay via apps on your smart phones now, but it won't show up on the meter. So it's possible that the meter shows 0:00 yet the person is parked with valid payment.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #447
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Was raining few days ago and I was at the bus stop with my umbrella. A mother was sheltering her baby's carriage with her own clothing while the rain was pouring on her. Offered my umbrella to her and she said no
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #448
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Good intentions, but you shouldn't do this from now on because you could be wasting money without actually helping anyone.

You can pay by phone or pay via apps on your smart phones now, but it won't show up on the meter. So it's possible that the meter shows 0:00 yet the person is parked with valid payment.
Wow never knew that. Good to know
Posted via RS Mobile
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #449
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
i held my fart in til i got home.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #450
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
I was watching a movie and I noticed this old couple who didn't have two seats side by side so they had to sit one in front of each other. I was sitting beside the woman, and I asked her if she would like me to switch seats with the man. Tears welled up in her eyes and she said "you are going to make a girl very happy one day", and I said "yea I know" and I went to the next row and switched seats with the guy.
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: