REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

Spaceship_coupe 10-17-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8057680)
+1 :D

+2

Btw nice new bike bcrdukes. I'm mad jelly.
Posted via RS Mobile

marc0lishuz 10-17-2012 05:30 PM

Can anyone offer advise for the Ride to Conquer Cancer?

I'll be doing it for the first time in June 2013. My cycling background isn't as extensive as some of you guys here... I've been riding for 6-8 weeks this past summer. I live on the foot of Cambie and usually ride to UBC (about 30km roundtrip), or Steveston, or if I'm lazy, then just Iona Beach. In a typical weekend, I'd ride both days (taking different routes each time), for a total of 75-100kms.

Anyone done the Ride? What tips can you offer to a semi-noob like myself?

PS - I have a 2008 Norco CRD 1 http://www.norco.com/2008bikes/templ...&view=&deets=2

bcrdukes 10-17-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV (Post 8057715)
+2

Btw nice new bike bcrdukes. I'm mad jelly.
Posted via RS Mobile

Thanks! I like yours too! :D And thanks to dat_steve for the input and the extra push to get a CAAD10.

Sooo...I just went out for a short 15km ride and got home just now. Man, this bike is just that much better than my Diamondback. The ride quality is extremely smooth and the steering response is superb. Handling is just miles ahead from what I had before. And the SRAM DoubleTap system - I love it. So clean. So crisp. :sweetjesus:

For those of you interested in keeping track of your fitness (running/cycling etc.) Sports Tracker now has an iPhone compatible heart rate monitor for you Apple users. I use this on my Nokia N9. :)
Sports Tracker for iPhone!

dat_steve 10-17-2012 10:00 PM

glad you're enjoying it! totally jelly of you caad owners.

going to try this out next time i head out. I spend 90% of my time in the small ring in the mid/small cogs too. i do my best not to cross-chain too much but i never thought of doing the 50/50 type of set up the video mentions.

UFO 10-18-2012 07:08 AM

That's a big reason why I went with the standard 53/39 chainring setup instead of the 50/34 compact. I know I'm not strong enough to push a 50 on the flats with a reasonable gear in the back, and with a 34 the gearing would be too short. With a 39 I stay in the small ring for probably 70-80% of my riding and I'll generally run through gears 1-7 on it. I'll only get into the 53 for downhill sections and usually use 6-10.

Look at your actual chainline to see what sort of gearing you can tolerate with your current setup. 50/50 is pretty extreme IMO, the drivetrain can probably tolerate an extra 2 gears without any adverse wear.

woob 10-18-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc0lishuz (Post 8057736)
Can anyone offer advise for the Ride to Conquer Cancer?

I rode it this year. Are you planning on riding with anyone else? It makes a huge difference to have even a single riding partner. Learn to put in the big miles (~80+ km) for training and the ride itself (120km/day) won't be too difficult. Team OvCare does a few R2CC training rides leading up to the event that are open to the public. They do a 100km ride a couple weeks before the event.

azncreationz 10-19-2012 06:42 PM

Lock up your bikes people!!

They arrested Gordon Blackwell, of Bike Rescue infamy...again. This time with 20G's worth of high end mountain bikes.

Bike 'rescuer' arrested again

OTG-ZR2 10-19-2012 08:15 PM

Had to take advantage of the good weather, Tuesdays ride...

http://i.imgur.com/hfNM4.jpg

bcrdukes 10-20-2012 03:12 PM

Ok. I just got home from a ride.

It is pretty damn cold. Managed to cheat the cold with a cold weather riding jacket but my legs - :fuuuuu: Tried on some arm and leg warmers - :sweetjesus: I need to pick up a set!

How are you guys fairing in this weather? :suspicious:

604CEFIRO 10-20-2012 03:25 PM

Merino base layer long sleeve, sport wool short sleeve jersey on top, bib shorts, knee warmers, and a rain/wind shell on top. I have oversocks on as well.

Rode richmond to white rock and back today. Crispy weather and a redicalous headwind that's for sure!
Posted via RS Mobile

F30 10-20-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azncreationz (Post 8059662)
Lock up your bikes people!!

They arrested Gordon Blackwell, of Bike Rescue infamy...again. This time with 20G's worth of high end mountain bikes.

Bike 'rescuer' arrested again

So we should expect court to give him a slap on the hands again?

UFO 10-20-2012 06:10 PM

Costco is selling 100% merino wool tops for $20. They are cut looser than your normal base layers, but hard to pass up at that price.

bcrdukes 10-20-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8060155)
Merino base layer long sleeve, sport wool short sleeve jersey on top, bib shorts, knee warmers, and a rain/wind shell on top. I have oversocks on as well.

Rode richmond to white rock and back today. Crispy weather and a redicalous headwind that's for sure!
Posted via RS Mobile

Care to share your route? I'm never sure how to get through that tunnel. :suspicious:

And wow. You went full out on this. :pokerface:

604CEFIRO 10-20-2012 08:26 PM

Here's the runkeeper tracking of the route my boss took me on today: Cycling Activity 86.31 km | RunKeeper

We started in richmond, east on Westminster out to Hamilton area, over the Alex Fraser bridge, north delta, south on king Ed towards white rock. When we came back we followed the bike route next to the highway. We mistimed the free shuttle from Ladner thru the Massey tunnel, so the gf came and picked us up and brought us thru LOL
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-20-2012 09:10 PM

Wow. I have to tip my hat to you for getting so "in" to this without much hesitation, especially with all the gear you got!

Was that route mostly "flat?" If so, I think I'll stick to East Van, Marine Drive, UBC, Kits and back home.

604CEFIRO 10-20-2012 10:22 PM

Actually it was surprisingly hilly after the Alex Fraser thru the residential bike routes. Also the sections into white rock on crescent road

It was our first time doing that route so we had to whip out the map to navigate here and there lol

And Yea I've acquired a bit of gear in the last while lol. Online shopping and the LBS can be dangerous :S

I do commute full time by bike so I can justify my spending habits to the gf heheh
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-20-2012 10:42 PM

What are you going to do with the Jake The Snake?

604CEFIRO 10-21-2012 07:08 AM

The JtS I use to commute everyday. It's got a rack and 2 waterproof panniers. I never enjoyed riding a bike with a backpack.. I get too sweaty too quickly

I use the focus bike only for rides outside of work.

Posted via RS Mobile

604CEFIRO 10-21-2012 02:28 PM

Went to la Bicicletta to do a follow up to my bikefit.

Ended up walking out with a rapha brevet longsleeve jersey (includes a hivis gilet vest)

Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-21-2012 02:41 PM

This is why I stopped going there. :pokerface:

Rapha gear - :sweetjesus:

604CEFIRO 10-21-2012 04:44 PM

DOOD I KNEW WHAT YOU MEAN ^^ LOL

the addiction is deep... hahaha.

For those who haven't seen this yet, an Australian tv station did a 45 min special on the lance armstrong situation, its pretty good check it out: Armstrong Doping Case Is Explained on Australian Television - NYTimes.com

bcrdukes 10-21-2012 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8060943)
DOOD I KNEW WHAT YOU MEAN ^^ LOL

the addiction is deep... hahaha.

Despite the addiction, the benefits are tenfold, mainly health. :D Can't say the same for the bank account, however. :suspicious:

Just got home from my third ride on the CAAD10 today. Cables are slowly stretching. I really need to get some knee/leg and arm warmers. These Schwalbe Lugano tires aren't bad for an entry level stock tire. Much better than the Continantal Ultra Sport tires. They were a living nightmare! :ahwow:

hud 91gt 10-21-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8060980)
Despite the addiction, the benefits are tenfold, mainly health. :D Can't say the same for the bank account, however. :suspicious:

Just got home from my third ride on the CAAD10 today. Cables are slowly stretching. I really need to get some knee/leg and arm warmers. These Schwalbe Lugano tires aren't bad for an entry level stock tire. Much better than the Continantal Ultra Sport tires. They were a living nightmare! :ahwow:

Interested to hear what you have to say about the tires? I don't notice much of a difference between tires unless it's wet out.

bcrdukes 10-21-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8061021)
Interested to hear what you have to say about the tires? I don't notice much of a difference between tires unless it's wet out.

I'm a bigger and heavier guy so I can feel a lot more of the tire's characteristics whereas a lighter/leaner rider won't. Having said that, I've noticed the rolling resistance on the Continental Ultra Sport isn't all that great. It requires a lot more torque to get the wheels rolling and I find that the tire's compound is much too soft for my liking. I also find that they puncture too easily. I had these tires on 3 of my bikes (the Diamondback, Kona and the Scott) and man, I would always get flats and would have to change a tube or pull glass/rocks out of the tire only to patch them up the next day or find a slow leak somewhere. They were a royal pain in the ass and a major inconvenience to other riders when I went on small group rides. I pump my tires to 120psi for what it's worth.

Best tire I've ridden on so far - Michelin Pro Race 3. :sweetjesus:

dat_steve 10-21-2012 06:21 PM

i wear these riding leggings (yeah leggings, what?!) from MEC that have have super comfy and warm lining inside. Keeps the wind out perfectly on cold rides, but they do not repel water very well. i think they were pretty cheap too so can't go wrong!
for my outer shell i have a pearl izumi jacket that fits super nice for a shell. flaps a bit in the wind but nothing crazy, and it folds up to about the size of a bottle so it can be tucked away in the jersey.