REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

604CEFIRO 10-21-2012 06:32 PM

I have continental ultra sports on my focus and rode a section of light pebbles / some gravel in Langley. Had I known they puncture easy I would have been a bit more hesitant to do that. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-21-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8061052)
I have continental ultra sports on my focus and rode a section of light pebbles / some gravel in Langley. Had I known they puncture easy I would have been a bit more hesitant to do that. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

I think in comparison to me in terms of size, height, and weight, you should be fine.

Get some nice tires on that Focus! :D

604CEFIRO 10-21-2012 07:54 PM

Btw there's new boner material at la Bicicletta. Lots of new bikes, it looks like they have all their new 2013 bikes out from cervelo, pinarello, focus among others. And clothing too. So dangerous
Posted via RS Mobile

dat_steve 10-22-2012 09:28 PM

dangerous for those who can afford it, harmless eye candy for the peasants :okay:

distanc3 10-23-2012 05:57 PM

Any one know where i can source a 9 speed down tube shifter groupe (130mm spacing)?

thanks!

dat_steve 10-23-2012 07:53 PM

best bet is either CL or the parts bin of "smaller" bike shops. there's one on Main, i think it's called "our community bikes" or something, that should be a good place to start.

woob 10-23-2012 08:25 PM

Could also try giving the UBC Bike Kitchen a call. They have quite a few used parts in their shop.

acrophobia 10-26-2012 07:28 PM

Based on the snowline creeping down the hills here in the Okanagan, last weekend's ride may be this season's last.

Now that I have a road bike begging to be ridden, I'm thinking about getting an indoor trainer. Does anyone here use one? I've found a used Cycleops wind trainer locally, but reviews online mention that they are loud and I'm a dead man if I wake the kids up while riding my bike downstairs. Recommendations anyone?

dat_steve 10-26-2012 07:32 PM

you sometimes get lucky with kurt kinetic or cyclops fluid trainers on CL for sub $300. I, personally, would snatch up the first one i see for $250.

bcrdukes 10-26-2012 07:54 PM

I have a Kurt Kinetic. It has a higher power output wattage than the CycleOps by 100w or so but not a huge deal, in my opinion. It's pretty quiet and works quite well. I use mine in the basement of my house and is pretty quiet.

dat_steve - Are you commuting in the rain on your bike?

marc0lishuz 10-26-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8065596)
dat_steve - Are you commuting in the rain on your bike?

He wouldn't be caught dead doing that. I've been personally threatened not to do that either LOL

bcrdukes 10-26-2012 10:49 PM

LOL!

Gotta show up to work like a bauss, right? :joy:

What about 604CEFIRO? I want to know if he's commuting in the rain. :suspicious:

604CEFIRO 10-26-2012 11:28 PM

Rain or shine. Everyday :)
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-26-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8065742)
Rain or shine. Everyday :)
Posted via RS Mobile

What do you wear when riding in the rain? Details, sir! :D

Thinking about sticking to the road despite this crap weather before I head down to LA for the winter.

604CEFIRO 10-27-2012 12:03 AM

My commuter outfit for rain:

Showers pass elite 2.1 in gold/orange
Merino long sleeve base layer
Funkier cycling shorts w/ chamois
Castelli nano flex knee warmers
Bbb water flex overshoes
Assos rain cap
Assos rain gloves

I've still been fine so far wearing nothing but cycling shorts and knee warmers in the cold morning rain. Tbh, I don't feel the cold much, and ur thighs don't get very wet.

The main thing for me is keeping my head, upper body, hands, and feet comfortable is good enough. Your legs are working so they stay warm.

I have north face running pants that fit tight (wind proof, taped seams, water resistant) that I will probably start wearing in November.

I'd say the most important items are a proper jacket, gloves, and overshoes. If your core, hands and feet aren't comfortable, you won't last long out there.

For my weekend / after work rides I have my rapha kit which I sold my left testicle for. Will probably sell my right testicle next month for some thermal bib shorts.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-27-2012 12:21 AM

Wow, so your legs don't get soaked? Interesting. :suspicious:

Details of Rapha kit, you baller. Good lord, I'm glad I don't go to La Bicicletta very often. I'd be in serious debt! :badpokerface:

604CEFIRO 10-27-2012 12:34 AM

Yea, my legs don't get very wet. I find that in rain, you need to stay comfortable and not necessarily bone dry because you WILL get wet.

Wearing just cycling shorts I find they dry faster, I hang everything up at work. so by the time I'm off work my gear is complete dry for the ride home.

Rapha gear, I bought the brevet long sleeve jersey and pink gilet (lol), bib shorts, knee warmers from la Bicicletta.

I scored a brand new rapha softshell jacket off CL for $275. And I also have their rain jacket.

The softshell jacket and the bib shorts are by far my most favorite pieces of gear I own.

I've worn the softshell and bibs in 4 hours of hard vancouver rain the first time I did a group ride with the shop. The jacket was awesome for something that's not really for downpours
Posted via RS Mobile

604CEFIRO 10-27-2012 12:38 AM

The areas you get wet the most are your head, upper shoulders, upper arms, chest, hands, and feet. My feet get jacked up from the tire splash even tho I have fenders.

Overshoes are a must or else ur shoes get soaked like a bucket of water, and that shit takes a full day to dry out
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-27-2012 12:45 AM

Damn. So jelly of your Rapha kit!

I think I'll pony up for some rain gear since I can't run away from this weather forever and there's only so much of LA I can handle. You're so lucky you have a Jake The Snake/CX bike.

How are you liking the BBB covers? (BBB stuff is pretty good overall. I like their tire tubes!)

Edit: Wait. WTF!? You rode in the rain with a softshell jacket for 4 hours!? Fuck you, North Face! :fuckthatshit: That's pretty impressive!

604CEFIRO 10-27-2012 05:45 AM

One thing to keep in mind, there's no perfect rain jacket. Like goretex, eVent, all those hardshells will make u sweat from the inside so ull still get wet lol

I've heard good things about the sugoi hydrolite jacket. It's $100 at la Bicicletta.

Bbb stuff is decent. You can get the waterflex rain overshoes for $37 on crc vs. $50 at the LBS

and yea it's nice to have a JtS and focus bike. I ride both in the rain... I don't notice too much difference. Focus is twitchy'er that's for sure lol
Posted via RS Mobile

604CEFIRO 10-27-2012 06:51 AM

Oh! Does anyone know where I can buy Nikwax tech wash and the waterproofing wash here locally?

I need to recharge one of my jackets
Posted via RS Mobile

F30 10-27-2012 08:24 AM

MEC, Sport Check ...

OTG-ZR2 10-27-2012 09:17 AM

I've been commuting to school in the rain. Mind you I skytrain most of the way :okay:

OTG-ZR2 10-27-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8065849)
Oh! Does anyone know where I can buy Nikwax tech wash and the waterproofing wash here locally?

I need to recharge one of my jackets
Posted via RS Mobile

I got a bottle from Comor.

woob 10-27-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8065849)

Anywhere on the Broadway outdoor store strip: MEC, VPO, Europe Bound, Hillsound, etc.

I was talking to the guy that sold me my jacket and apparently you shouldn't wash your jackets with the waterproofing wash. Put it into a spray bottle and just do the outside. You don't want the inside of your jacket waterproof as well. It needs to breathe.