REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

UFO 11-15-2012 06:34 AM

Shimano/SRAM freehubs are the same between 8/9/10 speeds, only difference is the spacing in between each gear is narrower as you move from 8-10 speed.

distanc3 11-15-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8081837)
Shimano/SRAM freehubs are the same between 8/9/10 speeds, only difference is the spacing in between each gear is narrower as you move from 8-10 speed.

That was my original assumption with shimano/SRAM. The wheels are factory Shimano Ultegra WH-6600 which are 10 speed specific. The groves on the hub body which fits through the cassette are taller than other hubs so my 9 speed cassette will not fit.

Would it be possible to swap hub body with a 9 speed hub?
Posted via RS Mobile

UFO 11-15-2012 07:02 AM

Right, those hubs. I've only heard of these 10 speed aluminum freehubs with the taller splines but never actually seen or worked with one. General consensus is that you are stuck with that setup. If you are feeling crafty you can carefully grind/dremel the splines down so your 9 speed cassette can fit, aluminum should be fairly easy to grind off. But because the freehub is aluminum and soft make absolutely sure your cassette has an aluminum spider to carry the steel gears otherwise your cassette will chew into your freehub big time.

distanc3 11-15-2012 09:23 AM

Thanks UFO for the help I think I'll sell these wheels without tinkering with them. They're in great shape and someone else can certain enjoy them.

Thanks again for quick and insightful responses!
Posted via RS Mobile

604CEFIRO 11-15-2012 11:03 AM

So for the first time I experienced hitting the wall, without falling over lol...

I decided to go do some hill repeats with the lbs last night. Met up at crown at 16th and did repeats of Camosun St. 6 of us would repeat the climb from West 40th to West 29th. I guess it's a popular climb for them b/c the distance is pretty much exactly 1 km uphill.

I've never hurt so badly on a bike... the worse were the climbs done in the big ring, and big ring + standing.

I definitely could not hang with the pack on some of the climbs...

maybe i didnt eat enough before... cant wait for the next night out! lol

UFO 11-16-2012 03:16 PM

The Giant sale was ok, some pretty cheap framesets. Sizing is either XS, S, XL, as this is there warranty replacement stuff they are selling. Size selection was apparently ok right at opening.

They had a cheap wireless cadence computer for $60 which I thought about getting but I decided to cheap out. Picked up a set of fenders for $10 and a pair of gloves for $5. Was on the fence for a long time on a MTB Anthem X frame at $375, but ultimately decided against it because the women's graphics were just a bit much for me. They had 1 left in a medium that would have worked out well

azncreationz 11-18-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8082989)
The Giant sale was ok, some pretty cheap framesets. Sizing is either XS, S, XL, as this is there warranty replacement stuff they are selling. Size selection was apparently ok right at opening.

They had a cheap wireless cadence computer for $60 which I thought about getting but I decided to cheap out. Picked up a set of fenders for $10 and a pair of gloves for $5. Was on the fence for a long time on a MTB Anthem X frame at $375, but ultimately decided against it because the women's graphics were just a bit much for me. They had 1 left in a medium that would have worked out well

FML, I missed it again! Probably for the better...do I need another frameset? :fullofwin:
Sounds like you picked up some good deals though.

OTG-ZR2 11-18-2012 10:03 PM

I miss riding my bicycle.

Its gives back exactly what I put in.

distanc3 11-19-2012 04:37 PM

Weather is being quite crappy anyone want to share their stationary bike routines?

bcrdukes 11-19-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distanc3 (Post 8085460)
Weather is being quite crappy anyone want to share their stationary bike routines?

I perform this routine on my Kurt Kinetic trainer.

Spoiler!

azncreationz 11-21-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distanc3 (Post 8085460)

http://www.markstivers.com/wordpress...rcise-bike.gif

bcrdukes 11-21-2012 06:03 PM

For those of you interested in getting a heart rate monitor, Sports Tracker is having a Black Friday sale. They are offering 23% off their heart rate monitor which is compatible with Apple iOS, Android, Nokia Symbian and Maemo/Meemo. No Blackberry support, unfortunately.

Quote:

This special one-day offer is valid only for orders on Heart Rate Monitor SMART submitted on U.S. Online Shop between Friday 11/23/2012 0:00 AM EST - 11:59 PM HST.

604CEFIRO 11-22-2012 10:10 AM

Any Black Friday deals out there you guys have seen from the online shops? Or even local shops?

bcrdukes 11-22-2012 10:52 AM

No :(

UFO 11-23-2012 07:20 AM

Sugoi factory sale starts today and runs for the weekend

604CEFIRO 11-23-2012 11:11 AM

Anyone up for a Sunday morning ride?
Weather appears to be okay for Sunday.

I'm gonna head out from richmond into vancouver. Do Stanley park (once or twice) then hit up Musette Cafe on burrard and drake.

Leisure ride to get the legs going

Pm me if anyone's down.
Posted via RS Mobile

UFO 11-23-2012 05:13 PM

Sugoi was a gong show.

We got there about half an hour after opening, lineup was 2 hours to get in. Inside was a zoo, tons of product and sizing everywhere, kind of organized. Lineup to pay was another hour long, but we took turns waiting in line while the other went to look for and try stuff on, so it didn't feel nearly as bad.

All in we walked out with $1000 in clothes... for $165 :D

Some sick deals especially on higher end stuff. Not a sale I'd go to every year because of all the effort involved, but I have enough riding gear for the next few seasons.

bcrdukes 11-25-2012 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went for a casual ride around town today. :D

PHATFLIP_14 11-25-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8090544)
Went for a casual ride around town today. :D

:sweetjesus::megusta:...nice ride dude.

hud 91gt 11-26-2012 07:24 AM

Just moved to Kits from Toronto. Took the bike across the road to Kits Point Park, and there was no biking signs all over the place. Is there any portion of the trail along the water where bikes are allowed? I wasn't too disappointed, I didn't dress for the cold. lol

604CEFIRO 11-26-2012 09:17 AM

There's some cycling maps you can google, and even google maps will show bike lanes

*hope thats what you're looking for*

Cycling routes, maps, and trip planner | City of Vancouver

bcrdukes 11-26-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8091035)
I didn't dress for the cold. lol

And you moved back from Toronto? :badpokerface: :rofl:

benwang 11-26-2012 12:21 PM

what did u buy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8089201)
Sugoi was a gong show.

We got there about half an hour after opening, lineup was 2 hours to get in. Inside was a zoo, tons of product and sizing everywhere, kind of organized. Lineup to pay was another hour long, but we took turns waiting in line while the other went to look for and try stuff on, so it didn't feel nearly as bad.

All in we walked out with $1000 in clothes... for $165 :D

Some sick deals especially on higher end stuff. Not a sale I'd go to every year because of all the effort involved, but I have enough riding gear for the next few seasons.

hud 91gt 11-26-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8091119)
And you moved back from Toronto? :badpokerface: :rofl:

BC is supposed to be warm. Shorts weren't doing it yesterday. hah

bcrdukes 11-26-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8091531)
BC is supposed to be warm. Shorts weren't doing it yesterday. hah

No way, man! :D

Get some riding pants or leg warmers! :)