REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 10:16 AM

Awesome steve :D

I was thinking about it, but going further than Horseshoe Bay / Whytcliff might be a bit too ambitious for us with the weather being kinda unknown (but it should be cloudy/sunny). Plus... I haven't ridden past horseshoe bay on the highway... My buddy that's experienced riding that direction bailed.

So if you're game we'll do the Stanley Park -> Whytcliff route?

I'm also down for Deep Cove, or Whitepine Beach / Buntzen Lake area. That direct though is more highway paceline pulls.

I have a friend coming with. hes a big oaf of a dood... loves flats cuz he's pretty powerful but hates hills cuz hes 6'6 220+ LOL

dat_steve 04-18-2013 10:37 AM

crazy lol i'll try and round up Chris and another one or two possibly
get a legit paceline going! i've never tried but it looks so baus

Chris said he's comfortable leading up to squamish if you're still down

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 10:56 AM

Oh really? Yea man that would be dope

I'm fine with early starts, what time u guys wanna head out ?

dat_steve 04-18-2013 10:59 AM

usually 9ish

im scurred, bro

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 11:22 AM

"Dont be scared homie!" - Nick Diaz

9ish works for me.

I just google mapped Cambie & 33rd to Squamish.... now I'm scared bro

bcrdukes 04-18-2013 11:40 AM

I'm not riding and even I'm scared...from 2500 miles away! :heckno:

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 12:21 PM

Oh snap! Secured a buyer for the Atmos helmet off CL at $85.00

I might have a new Kask lid this weekend! So much easier to justify a purchase to the GF when I sell something off first hahah.

CL isn't bad at all for finding buyers as long as u price things well. I got so many emails after I posted it yesterday afternoon
Posted via RS Mobile

dat_steve 04-18-2013 12:30 PM

kask is so naice. how much are they going for at strada?

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 12:42 PM

$199 for the Mojito which is retail price... Apparently it's their sale price down from $229 lol. But msrp is $199...

I went to Strada last weekend, on a Sunday. Their info online, i think google, still shows Sunday as open.

We get down there at 1230pm, it was closed. As we get into our car, I see the girl ride up and go inside, so I'm thinking "Awesome, shes back from lunch?!"

I go up to the door with my gf and it's locked still. I knock softly, and the girl looks at me with this kinda "WTF do you want" look. I give her my best sign language of "I want to come in" ...

After a few minutes of standing outside the chick comes to the door and takes the chains off and says to us "We're actually not open today". She lets us in anyways...

Long story short, we bought something for my GF, but the girl owner wasn't very enthused to be making a sale.

I mean, i get it, it's Sunday you're not open but your online info says you are. You have 2 customers at your door wanting to buy stuff, and we DID buy something... She should have been more grateful. lol

The place is pretty small... Nice setup. Not great first impression.

kayceeee 04-18-2013 12:43 PM

how much would you guys price a 105 groupset?

its been used for less than 4 months. around 600km

has 105 shifters, FD RD, cog and chain, FSA bb30 and gossamer crankset and tektro brakes.

switching to sram soon :ilied::ilied::ilied: :fullofwin: :fullofwin: :fullofwin:

hud 91gt 04-18-2013 01:19 PM

Squamish scares the shit out of me. Haha.. I might turn around at Lions Bay. haha

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 01:25 PM

Heheh. Yea after looking at google maps and seeing that its ~160kms round trip from Richmond to Squamish my ass feels sore already.

I'm game for anything. Lions Bay seems more manageable!

What do u think steve?
Posted via RS Mobile

dat_steve 04-18-2013 02:02 PM

i'm definitely worried but i'm up for it. it'll be a nice semi-full day event. so its me + 3 others now...works out for me, more people to draft off haha

sucks to hear about strada! curious as to what your sign language for "i want to come in" was :ifyouknow:

bcrdukes 04-18-2013 03:18 PM

They decided to not open on Sundays last Sunday hahaha

Kilinim 04-18-2013 03:39 PM

I'm looking for some spd shoes. Any suggestions? Checked out MEC and liked the Pearl Izumi RD II's.
Posted via RS Mobile

Ch28 04-18-2013 05:07 PM

I have a pair of Shimano R133s. Buckle strap & carbon soles. Feels good, man.
Posted via RS Mobile

kayceeee 04-18-2013 06:30 PM

has anyone had their bike work done at secret cycles?

im looking to get a full gruppo installed on my bike. they quoted me 150$ to get it done.

price is always a factor in choosing a place to get work done, but also want to make sure that they do good work and get it done properly.

i live in poco so its right now down between caps and secret cycles.

thanks

hud 91gt 04-18-2013 06:44 PM

It really is not all that complicated to do yourself. In line with an oil change :p If you screw it up, you can always bring it in after. No special tools are required, unless you need to cut cable housing (Don't do this with needle nose pliers :p)

dat_steve 04-18-2013 08:04 PM

i was quoted about $150 too when i asked a shop recently. maybe do what you can on your own and bring it in for everything else?

bcrdukes 04-18-2013 08:05 PM

Give Fabian Kim @ Kinetic Cycles in Burquitlam a call. He might be able to do it cheaper.

I would give Secret Cycles a shot at the group swap before Caps.

azncreationz 04-18-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 8216021)
has anyone had their bike work done at secret cycles?

im looking to get a full gruppo installed on my bike. they quoted me 150$ to get it done.

price is always a factor in choosing a place to get work done, but also want to make sure that they do good work and get it done properly.

i live in poco so its right now down between caps and secret cycles.

thanks

What does this $150 include? Who is supplying the cable/housing/ferrules/end caps, chain, etc? Including tune? Including follow-up tune after cables and brakes have seated? Or is it just bolting on the parts? If it's just that, I agree, just do it yourself and then bring it in for adjustment. Besides, it's a good way to get to know your bike, and you can place your shifter levers where you like, not where the shop assumes a position.

kayceeee 04-18-2013 08:39 PM

when i asked it was to get it installed and have it ready for tuned for riding. But i have to call and get specifics, i'll have the cable and housing n such, ferrules and end caps im not sure as im waiting delivery of my gruppo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8216160)
Give Fabian Kim @ Kinetic Cycles in Burquitlam a call. He might be able to do it cheaper.

I would give Secret Cycles a shot at the group swap before Caps.

thanks. yea im trying to try secret before caps, not too fond of caps just from the feel of the staff. i want to find a shop thats more service orientated vs sales orientated.

edit: seems like kinetic charges a lot less on their website

Complete bike build, tune [$70]

Ch28 04-18-2013 08:57 PM

Another alternative would be to attend one of MEC's bicycle seminars that they do. You can learn from the seminar and go home to DIY

+1 on staying away from Cap's.

Bought a pair of MTB shoes that I wanted to return and they wouldn't take it back, even when I told them the sales person basically led me to believe that MTB shoes are 'normal' on road bikes. Going to use my free tune up whenever I need it and never going back there.

True.True 04-18-2013 09:16 PM

That sucks that you had a bad experience with Joey-lee. she must've had a bad day or something. my wife is good friends with her and that is totally out of character for her :)

604CEFIRO 04-18-2013 09:58 PM

I can understand people having a bad day. But as a small business owner myself, if I saw a customer standing outside my front door waving and signaling to come in, even if I'm closed I'd open up my doors right away.

Instead, she stood behind the counter, looked at us and mouthed something along the lines of "we're closed".

Since neither my gf and I could hear what she was saying, we just assumed that she was going to come open the door. We stood outside and waited for a bit, then got confused because she continued doing what she was doing. We waved and signaled at her a second time and that's when she came and opened the door.

Bottom line is, brick and mortar stores are slowly dieing because Internet companies drive prices down.

As a physical store, you have to provide AAA service, that's the only way to keep and maintain clients. On top of that, they don't get 'walk in' random clients, so any customer coming to their doors they should already know that we searched them out and are going there for a reason. It's almost guaranteed that that type of client will buy something.

The only reason I'm going back tomorrow to buy a Kask helmet is because Strada dropped the price to match online MRSP

Had Kask provided free shipping I would have bought it online instead.

After this, I won't be going back there

Quote:

Originally Posted by True.True (Post 8216249)
That sucks that you had a bad experience with Joey-lee. she must've had a bad day or something. my wife is good friends with her and that is totally out of character for her :)

Posted via RS Mobile