REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

Spaceship_coupe 04-22-2013 12:04 PM

Totally agree about the white bar tape. Gets dirty so fast but looks so nice. I've had good luck with the MEC bar tape but find it a little on the short side.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 04-22-2013 12:18 PM

^
LOL! Was the Thomson seat post too long? I hope you can match the same height and position as what you have from the fitting!

I hope I got my order! :mad:

You don't want the Specialized. The shell is pretty much dead and useless at this point. Way too much flex.

Spaceship_coupe 04-22-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8219303)
trade you for my well *ahem* broken in arione :badpokerface:

wiggle order came in today. going to throw the bibs on thomson post and go for a spin after work! I need to chop it a bit though, anyone have a good hacksaw lol

I've got an ok one I used to cut my fork lol
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 04-22-2013 12:55 PM

dat_steve,

For Thomson components, I would caution you to have it properly cut by a machinist. I think just by using a hack saw or whatever, you could compromise the overall integrity of the seat post. Thomson parts are very well made (some of the best IMO.) I would suggest giving their customer support team a call and ask about any precautions before cutting it.

There's a great machinist in East Van - Adam @ AMT Machine Shop 604-251-3301 - He's a one-man show and is awesome. Show up with cash (best deals!) :D

604CEFIRO 04-22-2013 01:03 PM

I would have to agree with almost all the rules here lol

There is 1 that leads me to ask tho...

Quote:

Rule #49 // Keep the rubber side down.

It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars.23

How does one change a tire on the road w/o scratching one's carbon frame? Let's say, we're on the road, no grass. Just concrete. On the shoulder of the highway...

I have no issues changing a tire and laying the bike opposite site of groupo, but i find it less damaging if i flip it upside down. i dont mind scuffing up the hoods. The tip of my seat, doesnt get scratched much.

how do you guys change a flat? Do you lay your bike on it's side? on concrete?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8218986)
Some of you have probably seen this, but it was just sent to me. Pretty funny.
Velominati › The Rules

bcrdukes 04-22-2013 01:06 PM

Of the times I've had to change a flat, I've been lucky enough to either lean the bike against a wall or on grass.

The only time I've ever had to flip the bike upside down was on a ride to Iona Beach, wondering why it was such a struggle to keep up - turns out my rear wheel was out of true. Too much torque. :troll:

604CEFIRO 04-22-2013 01:40 PM

Hmmm... If i Had my front wheel off, and the bike leaning up against something, that means my carbon fork is poking into the ground .... i wouldn't like that.

if i had my back wheel off and bike leaning up against something, that means my rear derailleur cage is poking into the ground...

isnt upside down best?

hud 91gt 04-22-2013 02:00 PM

I agree. Call me a bad ass. But I break half those rules. Not a real road rider right here. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile

dat_steve 04-22-2013 02:00 PM

I turn my bike upside down to repair flats
Some day I'll have crew in a support maybach to throw me a new wheel but until then it sits upside down!
Posted via RS Mobile

kayceeee 04-22-2013 02:19 PM

i've never had a flat. *crosses finger* but i'd probably flip it upside down. i cant imagine it to scratch your hoods and saddle if you just place the bike on the pavement, unless youre sliding the bike upside down. i rather scratch a saddle and/or hoods than scratch the frame/fork or RD like what cefiro suggested.

azncreationz 04-22-2013 02:51 PM

Lay your jersey down, put bike on top of it. :)

Or have your buddy hold your bike for you.

UFO 04-22-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8219351)
dat_steve,

For Thomson components, I would caution you to have it properly cut by a machinist. I think just by using a hack saw or whatever, you could compromise the overall integrity of the seat post. Thomson parts are very well made (some of the best IMO.) I would suggest giving their customer support team a call and ask about any precautions before cutting it.

No need. I've cut Thomson posts many a time, Elite, Masterpiece, for MTB use. There has never been an issue, nor have I read of any premature failures as a result of less than idea cutting. Hacking down a seatpost is not exactly brain surgery. Cutting carbon on the otherhand, requires a bit more finesse. Aluminum is pretty much idiot proof, pretty much.

UFO 04-22-2013 04:12 PM

Saw this and its a pretty sweet deal for a Merlin titanium frame. Not sure what parts hang off of it though

Merlin RSR Titanium bike

dat_steve 04-22-2013 04:51 PM

yeah i'm just going to drop it off at strada before i go to work tomorrow and ask if they can hack it for under $20 lol

edit: after reading up online, i guess i'd rather not risk any loss in structural integrity/resale value if i cut the post to save an oz or two.

so i booked it home to try on my new castelli velocissimo bib shorts. these are my first bibs, so from a guy coming from using MEC shorts almost exclusively for the past few seasons here's my review:
first impression off the bat was how lightweight and comfortable the material was. breathable, light, and slick design to boot. the chammy is miles ahead of the MEC ones. while i've never experienced saddle sores or pain (even after the last century), i can say that these will feel waaaay better. can't wait to wear these out on a weekend ride.

verdict: well worth the price from wiggle! oh and i didn't get dinged with tax this order.

Ch28 04-22-2013 05:08 PM

My order was around $115 from Wiggle and I also didn't get dinged *knocks on wood*

bcrdukes 04-22-2013 05:50 PM

Strada can cut seat posts? WUT?

I'd rather have it cut properly than hack it up. Maybe I'm over complicating things by factoring in aesthetics and resale.

To each their own.

hud 91gt 04-22-2013 06:32 PM

Totally over complicating :p Pipe cutter and your good to go. Nice clean cut... Don't try the pipe cutter with carbon. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

OTG-ZR2 04-22-2013 07:14 PM

I put my bike upside down for flat changes and maintenance. I don't believe most Velominati rules anyways.

And for cutting seat posts and forks, I wrap tape around so I have a perfect line, stay close with the hack saw but don't cut into the tape. Finish with a file if you're really anal.

Tube cutter would work excellent too, I totally forget about that method.

EX-R 04-22-2013 08:44 PM

just picked up a race face felon jacket from mec today for $130+tax but on the fence about keeping it. im planning to use it while biking and for casual use. is this good enough for the unexpected rain showers? Can someone convince me on either keeping it or returning it?

Race Face 2013

Alphamale 04-22-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 8219660)
I put my bike upside down for flat changes and maintenance. I don't believe most Velominati rules anyways.

KITTEH!!!!!!!!!!

:nyan:

604CEFIRO 04-22-2013 09:20 PM

lulz

dat_steve 04-22-2013 09:46 PM

that's my worst fear if i ever participate in an event like the fondo...i'd totally be that guy

heleu 04-23-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8219883)
that's my worst fear if i ever participate in an event like the fondo...i'd totally be that guy

lol. Last year, at the Gran Fondo there was a big crash on W. Georgia just before entering Stanley Park. I never understand how they crash on the flatest widest part of the course...

604CEFIRO 04-23-2013 09:48 AM

Any current Fizik saddle owners here currently? I know steve has one...

For you guys that do have one, i have a question.

There are these lines on the side wing of the saddle that seem to be for aesthetics more than anything else... Was wondering if those lines made your bib shorts wear out faster than usual?

Considering a Fizik or Prologo seat...

dat_steve 04-23-2013 10:15 AM

i've noticed the selle italia carbino saddle are popular as well. I prefer a flatter shape myself so i'm going to shop around to see what I can get.