REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien "quits" The Tonight Show (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602463-conan-obrien-quits-tonight-show.html)

Jsunu 01-13-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akalic (Post 6768419)
NBC is so fucked if they both leave..late night television is a huge part of their revenue

Well at least they got Jimmy and Carson to fill out their late night

bwahahaahahha

ae101 01-13-2010 02:07 PM

i love leno cuz of his jokes, his monologue & his segments through the week is really funny, while conan is funny even without jokes cuz a real stage performer

jimmy fallon is not ready yet to be a talk host in my books & letterman is funny in a weird way, same with craig ferguson & jimmy kimmel should just go back to the "man show" cuz thats where he really belongs

on a lighter note has anyone seem the george lopez show yet

spades 01-13-2010 05:08 PM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-conte...1/facebook.jpg

seakrait 01-13-2010 05:13 PM

you know who i really feel bad out of all of this? carson daly. i know he's a douche but everybody, and i mean EVERYBODY, has been ripping into him and it's not even something tha't he's super-directly involved in... if anything, he's yet another victim of NBC's screw up... :p

Senna4ever 01-13-2010 07:07 PM

NBC would have better ratings if Leno, Conan & Fallon were all let go and they just had 3 hours of Tonight Show with Johnny Carson re-runs.

StylinRed 01-13-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsunu (Post 6768056)
For me, Leno always seemed like honest alright guy, but also a workaholic - I can imagine how he would go crazy trying to live with retirement when all his life has been work.

I'll say... do you know Leno was @ the River Rock on the weekend doing stand-up? like wtf he's like a robot

liu13 01-13-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 6768968)
I'll say... do you know Leno was @ the River Rock on the weekend doing stand-up? like wtf he's like a robot

have you heard jerry seinfeld's standup, now that's terrible compared to his show

Quote:

Originally Posted by misteranswer (Post 6768021)
Leno attracts the young people. It's the old people who watch Letterman. The few that can stay up that late.

conan, kimmel and ferguson attract young people, letterman is still a great comedian and a superior interviewer than any other talk show host

not really sure who is watching leno

StylinRed 01-13-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 6769010)

everyone else ^^

Leno gets more viewers than Letterman and Conan and Letterman Repeats were getting more viewers than Conan

Quote:

By the week ending August 7, even repeats of The Late Show were beating O'Brien, albeit with the thinnest of margins—the repeats got a 2.1/6 household rating and 2.95 million total viewers, vs. The Tonight Show’s 2.0/5 rating and 2.94 million viewers
i think its a cop out by Conan to suggest the so called "Leno Effect" is ruining his ratings. The Leno Effect is a domino effect; where less people watch Leno than primetime shows, resulting in less people watching their local news which results in less people watching Conan and even less ppl watching Fallon :rolleyes:
it may make sense for the following Local News (as ppl might just stick to the local news of another network) but to suggest that for everything following.... even if the majority of NBC viewers were seniors who didn't have the strength to use their remote it would still seem like bs

El Bastardo 01-13-2010 10:52 PM

I find Letterman a little obnoxious. He takes 10 minutes to do 2 minutes of material.
The "ums", "aws", and pandering from the crowd along with the useless banter with Paul...

...nope... no thanks.

Sure he may be a solid interviewer and have some classic moments but I'll only watch him if someone I know I like is on as a guest.

azzurro32 01-13-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 6769010)
have you heard jerry seinfeld's standup, now that's terrible compared to his show

conan, kimmel and ferguson attract young people, letterman is still a great comedian and a superior interviewer than any other talk show host

Seinfeld isn't horrible lol. You gotta appreciate his humour otherwise he will come across as dry and boring.
Posted via RS Mobile

orgasm_donor 01-14-2010 12:25 AM

I used to watch Letterman almost every night back in the early 90's. When Conan came on in '94 I thought he was strange and awkward. After several years of him honing his style I slowly realised that he was a comedic genius.

Leno's monologue was boring and redundant. The writing was decent but he was just kinda lame. His features (like Jay-walking) and whatnot were pretty original and well written.

Letterman has a way of being a likeable ass when interviewing. People like him because he doesn't give a damn what the audience or guests think of him. He's got balls and charisma.

Fallon is nervous and uneasy. I do beleive he will get better. Some segments are likeable and silly and the writing is decent. The Roots make that show great - they are the best band on late night.

Conan will always be the best late night personality. He is likeable, spontaneous and never really has an off night. He is more than willing to poke fun at himself which is what makes him 'one of us'. Most people can relate to his short-comings as a human being. He deserves whatever he asks for and deserves to get paid handsomely for it. I will support Conan and try my hardest to never watch NBC again.

trip 01-14-2010 01:03 AM

^ agreed

but some of my fav shows are on NBC .. so i'll watch those still but boycott leno.. and im not missing much with falon anyways.. aside from the roots

PiuYi 01-14-2010 01:07 AM

i thought this thread was so epic until i ran into the AJR one on VAC hahah
2 crazy threads going on simultaneously ftw

Armind 01-14-2010 02:18 PM

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/imag...terminator.jpg

chun 01-14-2010 02:51 PM

Full clips from last night's monologue + Ricky Gervais interview.

http://tv.gawker.com/5447747/late-ni...h-hate-for-nbc

raygunpk 01-14-2010 03:58 PM

Jan 22nd will apparently be his last show.

spoon.ek9 01-14-2010 04:41 PM

^ shit, so soon??

i wonder what his ratings are like since the news broke.. he's been absolutely relentless ripping NBC a new asshole every night now hahah

as odd as it may seem, this is probably the most fun he's had since taking over the show. he's free to do whatever he likes now and they still have to air it.

Onassis 01-14-2010 05:28 PM

Letterman & Howard Stern are rumored to be his last guests, NBC isn't going to forget this one for a long time.

liu13 01-14-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 6768919)
NBC would have better ratings if Leno, Conan & Fallon were all let go and they just had 3 hours of Tonight Show with Johnny Carson re-runs.

i bet my life against that

StylinRed 01-14-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 6770323)
^ shit, so soon??

i wonder what his ratings are like since the news broke.. he's been absolutely relentless ripping NBC a new asshole every night now hahah

as odd as it may seem, this is probably the most fun he's had since taking over the show. he's free to do whatever he likes now and they still have to air it.

his ratings went higher than Letterman for the first time on Monday with people wanting to see reactions

and they've been higher all week but im not sure if they've remained higher than letterman throughout

Quote:

Originally Posted by chun (Post 6770132)
Full clips from last night's monologue + Ricky Gervais interview.

http://tv.gawker.com/5447747/late-ni...h-hate-for-nbc

thanks i've actually missed watching any late night shows ^^

i think its pretty lame that Conan is taking shots at Leno though... he should just direct it all at NBC

LOL... watching Leno atm and he has Kimmel on doing 10@10 and it doesn't seem too comfortable, especially when Kimmel said he'd like to interview Leno and Conan together
oooooh.... took a bad dig on Leno just now too... definitely worth watching... keeps making fun of Leno getting canceled

dub.g 01-14-2010 07:38 PM

Ive officially become a Jimmy Kimmel fan after he attacks Leno tonight.. holy shit those were some harsh words

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/late-ni...y-jimmy-kimmel

Quote:

Some choice quotes, courtesy Kimmel:

[Asked by Leno what the best prank he ever pulled was] "The best prank I ever pulled was I told a guy that—five years from now—I'm gonna give you my show. And then when the five years came, I gave it to him, and then I took it back almost instantly."
[Asked by Leno if he ever orders anything off of the TV] "Like NBC ordered your show off the TV?"
[Asked by Leno what the record is for number of lap dances he's received in one night] "Strippers, I don't like in general. Because you have this phony relationship with them for money, similar to that of when you and Conan were on The Tonight Show together, passing the torch... you know what I'm saying."
[Asked by Leno what he hasn't yet hosted, but would like to] "Oh, this is a trick, right? Where you get me to host The Tonight Show and then take it back from me?"
[Asked why he came on to do the segment] "Listen, Jay, Conan and I have children—all you have to take care of is cars. I mean, we have lives to lead here. You've got $800 million, for God's sakes—leave our shows alone."

cressydrift 01-14-2010 07:47 PM

Conan FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_L0jVqiBE

Gh0stRider 01-14-2010 07:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQBHLaPniw

StylinRed 01-14-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub.g (Post 6770623)
Ive officially become a Jimmy Kimmel fan after he attacks Leno tonight.. holy shit those were some harsh words

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/late-ni...y-jimmy-kimmel

i actually felt he was a major douche for that, i mean shit its not like Jay Leno is the one who's demanding that time slot back... He's got the same number of viewers (slightly more actually) than when he was on @ 11:30

Its the late night local news that wants Jay out of his time slot because its less ratings than they're used to which they say is causing them to get less ratings as well..

NBC wants to keep Jay & Conan; since JAY is still their Star host (Conan has half the audience than Jay did/does)

There's no reason to hate on Leno...

There isn't really any cause to Hate NBC either.... what would you have them do? Tell Leno to take a hike? even though his show pulls in 2X the viewers than Conan? That would be like shooting themselves in the head

It makes sense for NBC to want to move Leno back to 11:35 to appease local news and to keep all those millions of viewers.. They tried for a compromise and tried to save their evening ratings (as they've been falling everyday since Conan was at the helm)

If things were kept moving as they were with Conan... he'd soon be canceled anyhow with those falling numbers

don't get me wrong i love Conan but from a business perspective it'd be mad to toss Leno and let things continue on its failing path

spoon.ek9 01-14-2010 08:18 PM

i don't think it helped conan's ratings at all that jay was still on before him. think about it for a second, had all those leno fans not had him to watch, what would they instead do? they'd give conan's show a chance and ratings would eventually go back up.

instead, you have this entire generation of fans who are still sticking with leno and turning off the tv/ changing the channel as soon as conan comes on. i think it's absolutely unfair that conan has not been afforded the same treatment carson gave leno when he took over the show.

good for kimmel saying those things to jay's face on his show. you could tell leno was at least a little mad at the comments.