REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien "quits" The Tonight Show (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602463-conan-obrien-quits-tonight-show.html)

skyxx 01-15-2010 11:18 PM

You guys should have watched today's Conan. The opening segment was hilarious with the gun fight.

El Bastardo 01-15-2010 11:23 PM

That chick from 24 is actually pretty funny

dub.g 01-15-2010 11:26 PM

http://tv.gawker.com/5449596/late-ni...-with-low-blow

highlights from all shows tonight.......

so about time Leno catches up on the insult game.. trying to focus more on Letterman now than Conan

gnat. 01-15-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6772481)
You guys should have watched today's Conan. The opening segment was hilarious with the gun fight.

agreed! absolutely hilarious! hahaha!

Alpine50 01-16-2010 12:13 AM

leno sucks im pissed conan leaving

spoon.ek9 01-16-2010 12:32 AM

i don't think anything is written is stone just yet.. i really hope conan gets to stick around at 11:35pm!

Eastwood 01-16-2010 01:13 AM

LMAO at everyone trying to stick up for Conan. If you liked his show so bad then how come hes doing so poorly in the ratings.

Personally I want Conan to be back at 1230 and Jay at 1130. That time slot combo worked perfect for years and killed in the ratings.

Whether Conan is on at 1130 or 1230 really makes no difference.

seakrait 01-16-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 6772593)
LMAO at everyone trying to stick up for Conan. If you liked his show so bad then how come hes doing so poorly in the ratings.

because only US ratings matter.... :rolleyes:
Posted via RS Mobile

Meowjin 01-16-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 6772593)

Personally I want Conan to be back at 1230 and Jay at 1130. That time slot combo worked perfect for years and killed in the ratings.

Whether Conan is on at 1130 or 1230 really makes no difference.

By November 2009, two months after the premiere of The Jay Leno Show in September, ratings for The Tonight Show were down "roughly two million viewers a night year-to-year" from when Leno hosted the program.[24] Though cheaper to produce than the scripted dramas it replaced, Leno's new primetime talk show generated fewer lead-in viewers for local news programs, causing a domino effect on ratings for The Tonight Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.[2]

also gotta remember that alot of people watch this shit on the internet now.

Talking about "how things" were back in the days didn't matter because, hulu, nbc.com, torrents were not mainstream backthen.

unit 01-16-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 6767087)
conan > leno > fallon

i always watched conan instead of leno. conan is a hell of a lot funnier than leno and fallon combined.

conan > ferguson > leno > letterman > the shit i just took > fallon

trip 01-16-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6772697)
conan > ferguson > leno > letterman > the shit i just took > fallon

famine > pestilence > rape > murder > aids > carson daily

StylinRed 01-16-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6772694)
By November 2009, two months after the premiere of The Jay Leno Show in September, ratings for The Tonight Show were down "roughly two million viewers a night year-to-year" from when Leno hosted the program.[24] Though cheaper to produce than the scripted dramas it replaced, Leno's new primetime talk show generated fewer lead-in viewers for local news programs, causing a domino effect on ratings for The Tonight Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.[2]

also gotta remember that alot of people watch this shit on the internet now.

Talking about "how things" were back in the days didn't matter because, hulu, nbc.com, torrents were not mainstream backthen.

that's just an assumption i can understand about the Local News being affected as people will just catch their local news from another channel

but not for conan or fallon they fall in different categories
also... Leno still has slightly more viewers than he did on the Tonight Show (due to the earlier time most likely) but that should cancel out the "internet" remark especially since Letterman has more viewers than Conan (and actually got a push in viewership since Leno left)

as for me my rankings are this

Tonight Show Host Ranks Leno>Conan

Late night interview shows
Conan>Letterman>Leno (the new jay leno show sucks, ive actually only watched like 2 shows since it started airing)

Meowjin 01-16-2010 12:55 PM

where are you getting your stats from? Do they include Internet views? Europe views?

StylinRed 01-16-2010 04:21 PM

Nielsen #s

StylinRed 01-17-2010 01:09 AM

anyone watch Saturday Night Live??

the opening skit made fun of Carson Daly and Larry King
They put the blame on NBC

and later Sigourney Weaver gave a plea about keeping the BS out of late night entertainment, as thats how her dad would have wanted it (apparently he was the NBC president back in the day and created the Tonight Show)

boostfever 01-17-2010 01:37 AM

NBC to pay Conan $30 million

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=452052&gt1=28103

goddamn

Psykopathik 01-17-2010 03:15 AM

holy shit why didn't Leno retire? his show sucks badly. Jokes not funny. Conan is way better. I could never understand why Leno started another show...

StylinRed 01-17-2010 04:20 AM

they were supposed to pay him $40mil if they were in breach

so now you know how much Conan sucks for NBC's ratings as the Tonight Show Host

They're willing to pay him $30million just to leave

Conan should have stayed on 'Late Night' where he Shined; or have gone to another network

anyhow here's the SNL skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYaJf2q5EGE

Laundry 01-17-2010 11:39 AM

Conan's new show should start at 11pm to get a head start on everyone else... even if viewers wanted to watch Letterman or Leno, they could always watch Conan at until 1130 then switch over...

!LittleDragon 01-17-2010 02:04 PM

I dunno how Leno's going to do in the ratings if he went back to the Tonight Show. There's been a huge backlash from hollywood. Leno says it's not his fault which I agree... it isn't, the decision came from NBC execs. However, the power was always in Leno's hands. If he had any respect for the show and it's traditions, all he had to do was say, "No, I won't participate in this debacle". He should've just stayed retired, just couldn't stay out of the spotlight.

I think Conan should take a break from talk shows... go and write for The Simpsons for 2 years so that show can retire with some dignity. Then when Dave's contract expires in 2012... take over for Dave once again.

Onassis 01-17-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salar (Post 6773919)
NBC to pay Conan $30 million

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=452052&gt1=28103

goddamn

That little ? Leno, Conan and Letterman all take home 35+ Mil a year on salary... I really hope things work out for team Conan, rumors are stating that NBC has an advantage in their legal work.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/16/conan-...show-jay-leno/

Gh0stRider 01-17-2010 03:55 PM

whats next for Conan?

Plumber?
http://cdn.holytaco.com/www/sites/de...---Plumber.jpg

Astronaut?
http://cdn.holytaco.com/www/sites/de...-Astronaut.jpg

Ch28 01-18-2010 12:58 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100118/tv_nm/us_conan

Conan O'Brien finalizing exit from NBC

Quote:

By Nellie Andreeva Nellie Andreeva – Mon Jan 18, 3:07 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Conan O'Brien's "Tonight Show" dream is over.

NBC brass certainly are praying that the same can be said for the PR nightmare that the late-night debacle has caused the network. On Sunday, attorneys from both sides were putting the final touches on a financial settlement that ends O'Brien's seven-month stint as "Tonight" host. The payoff to O'Brien is said to be close to $40 million.

The pact also includes sizable severance packages for O'Brien's longtime executive producer Jeff Ross and the rest of the "Tonight" staff, some of it possibly coming out of O'Brien's settlement paycheck.

O'Brien is expected to tape his last "Tonight Show" on Friday. Jay Leno will return to the "Tonight" desk March 1 after the Winter Olympics.

The settlement caps a week of tense negotiations and public salvos from both sides, including O'Brien's open letter defying NBC's plan to move his "Tonight" to 12:05 a.m. to make room for a Leno-hosted half-hour show at 11:35 p.m. and NBC sports chief Dick Ebersol's slam of "gutless" O'Brien.

The quick resolution would be welcomed by NBC and Leno, who have found themselves under siege for the past week, blasted by late-night comedians for pushing O'Brien out.

In addition to gaining momentum in the PR war with NBC, O'Brien also saw his sluggish "Tonight" ratings -- a big reason for his ouster -- surge last week. Under the settlement with NBC, O'Brien is expected to be free to join another network, possibly right away and by the fall at the latest.

News Corp. has been the most inviting company, with the heads of two of its networks -- Fox's Kevin Reilly and FX's John Landgraf -- expressing strong interest in bringing O'Brien into the fold.

Shedding O'Brien and putting Leno back in charge of "Tonight" gives NBC the opportunity to get its schedule back on track, but it comes at a very high cost. The network's pilot development last year was derailed with the vanishing of its 10 p.m. dramas that made room for "The Jay Leno Show," which was canceled last week. The network also spent millions on new sets and the launch of both "Tonight" and "Jay Leno" and then had to face ratings down spiral both at 10 p.m. and 11:35 p.m., which led to revenue loss. Leno, at least for the time being, is expected to stay put in the studio that housed his primetime show.

Additionally, the NBC and "Tonight Show" brands arguably have been tarnished. The network, in particular, has been painted as clumsy at best and villainous at worst in its handling of the issue. And then there is NBC's loss of O'Brien -- a star at the network whose passionate fans were planning to stage a support rally Monday outside NBC Universal studios -- with an excellent chance of him becoming a competitor to boot.

Noir 01-18-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

O'Brien is expected to tape his last "Tonight Show" on Friday. Jay Leno will return to the "Tonight" desk March 1 after the Winter Olympics
I will not be watching Leno anymore.

urrh 01-18-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 6775953)
I will not be watching Leno anymore.

+1