REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2011/2012 Canucks Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647779-official-2011-2012-canucks-thread.html)

krazynuck 06-17-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn79 (Post 7477480)
Kesler and jagr too good to be true
Anyone else agree kesler / parise are the best american forward right now for cracking 2014 team usa?
Posted via RS Mobile

i would agree but I also think that Kane could easily be interchangeable for parise

Tim Budong 06-17-2011 10:22 AM

Jgar to backcheck? bwahhah

at this point..Juice>Hoff

falcon 06-17-2011 11:39 AM

I think the best development for Hodgsen would be to throw him on Kes' line as a winger now and then but we know that's never going to happen.

spoon.ek9 06-17-2011 11:51 AM

In Gillis we trust. I have faith he will find what we need!

falcon 06-17-2011 01:44 PM

I agree. He has a good head on his shoulders and knows what's best for the team. I hope he scoops a few this offseason... piss a few more nuck haters off a bit :P.

invader 06-17-2011 01:46 PM

RS Hockey pool?

jeedee 06-17-2011 01:46 PM

Count me in!

spideyv2 06-17-2011 01:49 PM

im down

invader 06-17-2011 01:51 PM

whoever made the yahoo one last year has all the settings for scoring etc.

Harvey Specter 06-17-2011 01:58 PM

I bet you guys Jagr will end up with the Pens.

jeedee 06-17-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Dean (Post 7477760)
I bet you guys Jagr will end up with the Pens.

Accepted.

My bet is Jagr stays in the KHL just like how he :troll: 'd Edmonton that he was gonna sign with them last year :lol

krazynuck 06-17-2011 02:13 PM

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis will have surgery early next week and may not be ready for the start of training camp, while fellow blueliner Christian Ehrhoff will avoid going under the knife.

Hamhuis left Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final early in the second period following a hip check from Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic. It was later discovered that Hamhuis suffered a sports hernia, groin and lower abdomen injury.

It is not known exactly what surgical procedure will be required until doctors can have a closer look at the injury.

Hamhuis missed 18 games during the regular season with two separate concussions. He appeared in 19 post-season games for the Canucks, recording one goal and five assists and averaged 22:40 of ice time per game.

Ehrhoff will not require surgery to repair a shoulder injury he suffered in Game 3 of the Western Conference Final against the San Jose Sharks, instead, he's been told to take two-to-three weeks of rest.

The 28-year-old from Moers, Germany, was minus-13 with two goals and 10 assists in the playoffs.

Hamhuis and Ehrhoff are believed to be just two of a long list of Canucks players who were playing through some sort of injury.

There was speculation that Ryan Kesler and Henrik Sedin played hurt, but the team wouldn't confirm their injuries. Defenceman Alex Edler acknowledged he was playing Game 7 with a pair of broken fingers, while forward Chris Higgins reportedly played with a broken foot suffered in the second round.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369245

hotshot1 06-17-2011 02:19 PM

I think Jagr burned too many bridges in Pittsburgh. I say Detroit because they're the best team out of Pittsburgh, Montreal, NY Rangers - the teams he's rumored to talk to.

Gh0stRider 06-17-2011 03:28 PM

Jagr? for real?

sliq 06-17-2011 03:50 PM

Trade lu, keep cory more cap space

beanzzz 06-17-2011 03:52 PM

Sorry if its a repost.

Quote:

Bieksa willing to take pay cut to stick with Canucks

Kevin Bieksa was a finance major and knows money and the value it represents. He also values loyalty and the degree that has been afforded by the Vancouver Canucks appears to be making one postseason discussion moot.

The unrestricted free agent is expected sign a contract extension with the Presidents' Trophy winners because his play has dictated that consideration. And he's willing take a discount, too.

That's not music to the ears of any agent and Kurt Overhardt refused to discuss contract negotiations because Bieksa would fetch more on the open market. But the blueliner didn't sound like that's the road he wants to travel because less money may mean more long-term happiness and success.

"I think everybody takes less to be play here," the 30-year-old Bieksa said Friday. "It's such a great organization that you want to be here. It's the culture. It's like Detroit. If you want to win, you take less. It's a great team and a great one for a long time and you want to be a part of that. The bonus is the core guys I've grown up and the strong friendships. That factors into the decision-making process.

"There's no need to draw anything out. I'm pretty optimistic we can reach an agreement."

As for other UFA defencemen, the same will likely occur with Sami Salo. But where Christian Ehrhoff slots into salary-cap considerations may be the only true mystery, unless you want to debate how well Dan Hamhuis recovers from offseason abdominal surgery and if Keith Ballard can emerge from the doghouse. Or if Andrew Alberts is coming back in a depth role.

As for Bieksa, he made it clear that his intention is to sign a long-term extension at a reasonable raise from the $3.75 million US he earned for a 22-point, relatively injury-free 66-game season. He was also a team-best plus-32 had 10 postseason points and was a plus-6.

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was reluctant to discuss contract discussions with Bieksa and Ehrhoff but also indicated interest in bringing Salo back. Free agency commences July 1 and the Canucks have 13 players signed for next season at $45.6 million and the cap ceiling could to rise to $63.5 million.

"We're intending to keep this team intact with the core assets we have and that's what I intend to do," said Gillis. "Right now, I'm very confident [in Bieksa, Ehrhoff] but we just ended and I didn't talk to any player during the season about his contract because we didn't want it to become a distraction and feel like they're being treated differently — Sami Salo included. We now have enough time in my world to get it done."

Salo, 36, recovered from an offseason Achilles rupture and played well down the stretch and especially in the postseason. He earned $3.5 million this season and is eager to return and willing to take less to do that. It might have to be at half the salary after seven points in 27 regular-season games and five playoff points that included three goals.

"Yes, for sure," he said. "It's the latter part of my career. It's a good chance to repeat and with what happened, it's a perfect fit for me."

Ehrhoff, 28, is banking on 50 regular-season points as being the launching pad for a considerable raise on the $3.1 million he earned this season. He had a dozen postseason points and a team-worst minus-13 rating, but was slowed by a left shoulder injury in the final that requires rest and not surgery.

"I just want something that's fair," he said. "If I end up staying, it's natural to come their way a bit. It's just meeting at the right point. I like the group and like where the team is going and we're going to be very close for years and I'd definitely like to be part of it."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Bieksa+wi...#ixzz1Pa30tk7U

Vansterdam 06-17-2011 05:06 PM

sooo whos at game 8 tonight?

:troll:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...445540894.html

d1 06-17-2011 05:06 PM

Remember bieksa's last contract? He had one good year before he was signed to a big contract. After the signing he was either injured or played like shit - it would be risky to sign him to big money imo. If he re-signs at his current salary I'll be happy.

Ronin 06-17-2011 05:13 PM

Making an important point from the old thread here. I'll quote for context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7477536)
Thomas' cap hit is for the next 2-3 years, Luu's cap hit is for 10 more years, at 5.3million. you think in 5 years he's going to be worth 5.3million?
sorry i disagree, i've never really been a Luongo fan, of course i see that he's a great goalie, but his mental strength is as good as a 5 year old trying to hold out on candy, sometimes when we're losing 3-0 he closes the door and sometimes he let's in 5 soft ones.

No bagging on him, but that contract he signed? fuck that.

It's not as bad as you think, especially when you think of hockey economics.

But we can't give up on Lu at this point. No matter what, he's a top 3 NHL goaltender and they're not exactly growing on trees. Sure, we might've won if we had Tim Thomas in net instead but he is also a Vezina candidate. All things considered, we could've won with 3 goalies of the 30 starters in the league. Lu got us to game 7...we might've fallen shorter with someone else in net. Look at Philly and tell me that team isn't as good as the Canucks...but they had zilch for goaltending and got fucking swept.

Luongo is an asset. There may be one or two that are better but we could do a whole lot worse. Do we really want to go through the goalie graveyard era again where it's a revolving door in goal?

His contract gets better as the years go by as he makes less and less each year. Right now he is a $10m goaltender but when he becomes a $5m goaltender if his skills decline, we're only really paying him $5m under the cap. Aquaman doesn't give two fucks about the actual money. His contract REALLY tails off near the end of his career. If he is still awesome at 40, that's great. If not, then his contract makes him VERY tradeable.

Why? Because of the New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and other teams that spend the cap floor. In the last 3 years of Luongo's contract, he makes under $2m but still has a cap hit of $5.333m. Trust me, that is gold to people like the owners of cap floor teams. They only really pay $1-1.6m but they get a valuable contract that allows them to reach the league minimum. These teams are looking for older, servicable and experienced players that can push young prospects that are most likely on their teams. Look at Dwayne Roloson in NYI. Remember, Lu's contract has out clauses on both sides. His NTC is limited. This contract is the best thing for the franchise right now.

Gillis and Gilman have shown us nothing but awesomeness since they've been here, fitting this awesome of a team under the salary cap. They got all our stars to managable contracts. Ask any GM in the league if they would take the Sedins, Kes or Burr's contracts. If you REALLY look at it, other than this year with the $10m bonus payday, Lu took a bit of a paycut from his previous contract. Ask any GM in the league if they would take Lu in a trade right now...even Boston would be interested.

Those two are geniuses...every decision seems to be made out of logic and math. I won't doubt them now. Watch them work magic on the Juice and Hoff contracts and we will all bow down, screaming that we aren't worthy. I have to believe they're smarter than we are and have already thought this through more than I have.

TL;DR: Lu's contract is awesome. You aren't looking at the big picture, dummy.

Hondaracer 06-17-2011 05:16 PM

we should have an actual hockey pool, meet up somewhere have like 20 people and draft 10 players or somthing

i hate fantasy

Ronin 06-17-2011 05:20 PM

How is that different from doing it online other than the face-to-face interaction part that most people on the webernets are not going to want to do...

RiceIntegraRS 06-17-2011 05:24 PM

Sedin(6.1M) - Sedin(6.1M) - Burrows(2.0M)
Raymond(2.55M) - Kesler(5.0M) - Samuelsson(2.5M)
Higgins(1.5M) - Malhotra(2.5M) - Hansen(1.0M)
Torres(1.0M) - Lapierre(1.0M) - Glass(0.7M)

Hamhuis(4.5M) - Bieksa(4.5M)
Edler(3.25M) - Ehrhoff(4.5M)
Salo(2.0M) - Rome(0.75M)

Luongo(5.33M)
Schneider(0.9M)

That puts us at 57.7Million. Possibly make a trade during the deadline for a bonafide playoff performer.

shawn79 06-17-2011 05:29 PM

sedin sedin burrows
gagne kesler jagr
torres lahotra hansen
higgsin lapierre oreo

bieksa hamhuis
weber jovo
ehrhoff edler

ballard scheoder (played with colin wilson to get gold for team usa U20)+ 1st round pick for weber rfa negotion rights :troll:

Ronin 06-17-2011 05:31 PM

No way Hoff takes $4.5. He scored 50 points. He had like 44 last year. He's 28, which is the verge of defensemen prime, which most hockey experts tell you is later than forward prime. He's almost completely injury free for his entire NHL career and has consistently been a solid all around defenseman that has no edge into the top end of blueline scoring.

No way he takes a $1.4m raise. He'd get $6.5 on the open market easy. The best we should hope for is he takes $5-$5.5,

DanHibiki 06-17-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn79 (Post 7478081)
sedin sedin burrows
gagne kesler jagr
torres lahotra hansen
higgsin lapierre oreo

bieksa hamhuis
weber jovo
ehrhoff edler

ballard scheoder (played with colin wilson to get gold for team usa U20)+ 1st round pick for weber rfa negotion rights :troll:

1) you're gonna have to trade a fuck load of 1st rounders + more to get weber
2) jovo?!?! seriously??? dun think we got cap space for his 7mil. now do i think i can handle his high risk high reward type of play. steady dmen that can play both ends like edler and ehrhoff are my type of players.