REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST in BC?
Yes: Bring Back GST + PST @ 12% 186 42.18%
No: HST to decrease to 10% over 3 years (10% in 2014) 255 57.82%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #301
I don't get it
 
cow20xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 399
Thanked 65 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightmaskman View Post
I was on the fence about the hst, I understood the great economic benefits it had for the majority of people in our province. I also knew that since the hst came in last year, it was cutting cost into the lowest income family with kids, because of they didnt have the excemption pst/gst had. The way the hst was brought in was pretty dirty but i forgive the liberals. I didnt vote because I was okay with whatever the voting referendum would be. I niether Complained or bitched about it so go fuck yourself you right wing conservative monkey.
Posted via RS Mobile
Your initial tone was 'who actually gives a shit', not your current 'i am indifferent on the tax so i will remain neutral by not voting'. Big attitude difference there buddy.

Right wing conservative?? BWAHAHAAHAHAHA
Just because I vote on something that affects me doesn't make me a conservative, S. S for shitface right?
Advertisement
cow20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #302
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA
 
Spartacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Batiatus Ludus
Posts: 856
Thanked 187 Times in 64 Posts
Well, I wanted to hear other people opinions first, who also chose not to vote.

Yeah, I called you a fuckfaced conservative monkey. Lolyumadbro?
Posted via RS Mobile
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #303
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
adambomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Noitacol
Posts: 3,843
Thanked 644 Times in 231 Posts
Thanks "Yes" voters!!

Couldn't stand that they got fucked once with the implementation of the HST. Had to vote "Yes" to extinguish it so they can get double fucked.
Well, here ya go. Double fucked.


Quote:
Extinguishing the harmonized sales tax will cost the province more than $2.3 billion over the next three years, Finance Minister Kevin Falcon announced today.

The added costs mean the province is projecting a $2.8 billion deficit in 2011-12 and $805 million in 2012-13.

Falcon said the government will need to find $458 million in cuts or added revenue in 2013-14 if it is to meet its promise to balance the budget for that year.

More to come.



Read more: Ditching HST to cost B.C. $2.3 billion

Last edited by adambomb; 09-08-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: edit foul language with more foul language for rage at "Yes" voters
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #304
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
wreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 395
Thanked 240 Times in 70 Posts
highest amount of votes in favor of HST found in west vancouver..

lowest found in surrey.

'weird'..
__________________
real recognize real.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #305
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
adambomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Noitacol
Posts: 3,843
Thanked 644 Times in 231 Posts
Bippity Bump...


Quote:
The survey by Sage North America found a quarter of business owners who voted against the tax wish they could reverse that decision. That's based on overbearing paperwork during the switch back to the GST/PST, followed by its effect on the BC economy.
Emotions got in the way of HST vote: CFIB - News1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #306
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
fsy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Westminster
Posts: 3,156
Thanked 807 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
Being an external accountant i agree with there being more paperwork and a seperate set of tax calculations. Time is money.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #307
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
JesseBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Here! n There!
Posts: 4,123
Thanked 482 Times in 215 Posts
boohoo...in the end, we all still lose...
__________________
Go Canucks Go!
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #308
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
This has probably been discussed in the 13 pages by someone who is actually informed. But HST in theory aims to remove an entire level of government bureaucracy by harmonizing both federal and provincial taxes. This passes greater savings to the businesses. These savings in theory will eventually be passed to the consumer, as there are competitive pressures to do so, assuming HST had a long time to be in effect to see the savings become fruitful. Which won't happen if its abolished and PST is reenacted.
herragge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #309
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herragge View Post
This has probably been discussed in the 13 pages by someone who is actually informed. But HST in theory aims to remove an entire level of government bureaucracy by harmonizing both federal and provincial taxes. This passes greater savings to the businesses. These savings in theory will eventually be passed to the consumer, as there are competitive pressures to do so, assuming HST had a long time to be in effect to see the savings become fruitful. Which won't happen if its abolished and PST is reenacted.
"IF"?? What rock have you been living under the last two years?

Thanks to the Zalm and his cronies stirring up emotions with their bullshit and lies, the HST *was* defeated by referendum... fortunately the gov't has managed to drag out reverting back to the PST mess, but it WILL happen eventually.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #310
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 604
Posts: 167
Thanked 342 Times in 43 Posts
as its been said most people were just voting based on their rage and anger, it was more of showing that the govt cant just push us citizens around then actually doing what was good for everyone
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #311
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,457
Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
as its been said most people were just voting based on their rage and anger, it was more of showing that the govt cant just push us citizens around then actually doing what was good for everyone
I disagree. People voted the way they did because of their ignorance. Not because of rage/anger.

Sure they were raged/angry because they didn't want to pay "more" tax. Which lead them to vote to get rid of the HST. But, that's about it.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #312
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
as its been said most people were just voting based on their rage and anger, it was more of showing that the govt cant just push us citizens around then actually doing what was good for everyone
It doesn't help that so many people were so willingly misled by Zalm and the anti-HST brigade... as evidenced by this statement.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #313
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
JesseBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Here! n There!
Posts: 4,123
Thanked 482 Times in 215 Posts
and yet people were misled by the liberals when they said they will not introduce hst in the beginning
__________________
Go Canucks Go!
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #314
I STILL don't get it
 
CL typeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 472
Thanked 431 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
as its been said most people were just voting based on their rage and anger, it was more of showing that the govt cant just push us citizens around then actually doing what was good for everyone
I agree, most of my friends that voted to abolish it were just pissed that it was shoved down their throats. But I also agree they shouldve learned more about the tax itself then thinking such short term.
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #315
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 604
Posts: 167
Thanked 342 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
It doesn't help that so many people were so willingly misled by Zalm and the anti-HST brigade... as evidenced by this statement.
Im not saying thats my own personal belief as you assumed so quickly, perhaps I use the wrong word by saing "us citizens"
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #316
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,464
Thanked 7,630 Times in 2,319 Posts
People voted against it because they thought they were paying more taxes with HST in place without knowing about any of HST's benefits.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #317
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 604
Posts: 167
Thanked 342 Times in 43 Posts
^^this is the most accurate statement, thanks
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #318
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the new tax has brought in as opposed to the old system.

I know it would be in the budget, but has anyone seen an article that summarizes it for me?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #319
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 18,231
Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,787 Posts
man i wish we could get a re-vote.


also, ps, thanks for bumping this thread. this whole deal had slipped to the back of my mind and this thread has once again reminded me why society frustrates me.
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #320
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
and yet people were misled by the liberals when they said they will not introduce hst in the beginning
Failed... because the Liberals DID NOT SAY THIS.

From the very start, I challenged anyone who claimed "Campbell lied" to provide proof: a recorded news clip, a transcript, anything, of Gordon Campbell himself stating categorically that they would not implement the HST. All I ever got back was all manner of "yeah, but"s.

The closest I ever heard about was some generic questionnaire, filled in by some staff member, that essentially said there were NO IMMEDIATE PLANS AT THAT TIME to bring in the HST... not that they would NEVER do it.

But this is exactly the kind of bullshit Zalm and crew kept spreading to get people to vote with their... well, with nothing, really, because they certainly weren't voting with their brains.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #321
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I get really annoyed when I repeatedly get told that because I voted to get rid of the HST, I wasn't voting with my brain.

Yeah, Vander Zalm is an idiot. Acknowledged.

I'm not.

I don't want to give our government one more dollar of my money, no matter how noble the cause. And when you give a government more money, they will find a way to spend it. Stupidly.

I would have been fine with a 10% HST...upon implementation. But it wasn't offered.

I would have been fine with keeping the HST, with changes to what was and was not taxed at 12% to more reflect the GST/PST system...but that wasn't offered.

And I'm a small business owner, and should have been all over the HST, but I wasn't. It made things worse for me, because it made things worse for my customers.

Don't call me an idiot because I disagree with you.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #322
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I get really annoyed when I repeatedly get told that because I voted to get rid of the HST, I wasn't voting with my brain.
Fine. YOU may have been using your brain. But a LOT of people weren't... including businesses who, as referenced above, now regret that vote.

I know plenty of people who openly admitted at the time, they agreed it was "probably" a better tax system... but were voting against it as well, for purely emotional reasons: they believe "Campbell lied", they "wanted to teach the Liberals a lesson", etc. etc. THOSE are the idiots.

Quote:
And I'm a small business owner, and should have been all over the HST, but I wasn't. It made things worse for me, because it made things worse for my customers.
So you prefer having to deal with two separate tax bureaucracies? How does that help your bottom line?

Admittedly the shift in tax structure doesn't benefit ALL segments... the idea is that it benefits MORE of them, though, than does the separate GST/PST mess. And when businesses benefit, the economy as a whole improves, and that benefits everyone. If another small business sees enough benefit he can hire a couple more people... well, that's two more people that are off the dole and can maybe even become new customers of yours. Hell, maybe they're existing customers of yours that can now spend more with you because they're working again thanks to that other company down the street seeing the benefit.

"The economy" is a BIG-PICTURE, LONG-TERM concept, and almost universally, those I heard speaking against the HST were barely thinking beyond their own wallets, right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #323
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,938
Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,038 Posts
I don't know what's worse, the liberals jamming the HST down our throats in the first place, or them waffling and turning 180degrees with their tails between their legs.

They seemed to be more worried more about their popularity in the polls when they announced the referendum. If they really felt the HST was best for the province, they would have stuck to their guns.

That's a fucking sell out. And to top it off, it got them nowhere, they're down in the dumps, everyone's jumping off the SS Christie before it sinks.

The money spent to return to GST/PST could have funded a LOT of other more important projects.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #324
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,002
Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
"The economy" is a BIG-PICTURE, LONG-TERM concept, and almost universally, those I heard speaking against the HST were barely thinking beyond their own wallets, right now.
You're making an argument against yourself with this one, because while your point is true, how many people (as a whole) are going to be worrying about long-term/big-picture types, when what they're most concerned about is their own wallets, right now.

How many people in the lower mainland are going to say I don't mind paying a bit more tax now because of the benefits outweigh the costs? The sample people who drive down to Bellingham in hordes to save 50 cents on milk?

It's been mentioned over and over that the HST would have been successful if it had been implemented correctly. The fact is that it wasn't.
Now it was repealed, unfortunate yes, but it is the result of democracy, whether or not the voters were (mis)informed or not, it is what it is

HST was introduced, people complained. HST is now being rolled back, people complain. I can understand people being upset about this entire HST ordeal regardless of which side you're on, but at the very least be thankful that we are even able to debate about it and that we don't have a portrait of Dear Leader in our bedrooms.

Oh, and for fucks sake, vote.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #325
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I get really annoyed when I repeatedly get told that because I voted to get rid of the HST, I wasn't voting with my brain.

I would have been fine with a 10% HST...upon implementation. But it wasn't offered.
I have not been presented with one good argument for voting down the HST.

When I am presented with a good argument for voting down the HST, I will cease to broadly consider anyone who did an idiot. Until then...

Quote:
I don't want to give our government one more dollar of my money, no matter how noble the cause. And when you give a government more money, they will find a way to spend it. Stupidly.
Stupidly, like, say, spending billions of dollars on bureaucratic paperwork to revert back to GST/PST?

Quote:
I would have been fine with a 10% HST...upon implementation. But it wasn't offered.
Then, there's this....

Why does it matter whether 10% HST was offered upon implementation, or at the time of the referendum?

What matters is the end result would have been 10% HST, not the process to get there; unless you're voting based on emotion instead of facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
as its been said most people were just voting based on their rage and anger, it was more of showing that the govt cant just push us citizens around then actually doing what was good for everyone
because doing whats good for everyone clearly is of secondary importance.....
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net