REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST in BC?
Yes: Bring Back GST + PST @ 12% 186 42.18%
No: HST to decrease to 10% over 3 years (10% in 2014) 255 57.82%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #76
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
for me, who lives on my own and am not home most of the time, eating out makes more sense than going grocery shopping. i have tried going to safeway/costco/whatever spend $100+ on food for most of it to just go bad in my fridge. If I spend $20-$30/day on eating out, that $100 will last me almost a full work week.
You should try cooking a ton of food on one day and then freezing it for the week. That's what I do and I save a ton of money.

I just spend Sunday morning doing all my cooking haha.

edit: I guess it won't work for you since you're not home most of the time.
Advertisement
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Shhhhhh don't tell MajinHurricane this, he won't believe it.
The myth of the

Again, not a supporter of the marxist party or extreme leftism. But for every source that says "lazy" I can find one that say's misunderstood.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #78
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
for me, who lives on my own and am not home most of the time, eating out makes more sense than going grocery shopping. i have tried going to safeway/costco/whatever spend $100+ on food for most of it to just go bad in my fridge. If I spend $20-$30/day on eating out, that $100 will last me almost a full work week.
No-one is criticizing someone for the choices they make - if you want to be out and about all the time and eat out too, then go for it! Yet my taxes shouldn't subsidize your ability not to pay your fair share of tax while being out and about and eating out.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #79
Banned By Establishment

I don't know why your concerned about other people's taxes when the government has a poor track record of mismanaged funds and how it spends it's money.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #80
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
The myth of the

Again, not a supporter of the marxist party or extreme leftism. But for every source that says "lazy" I can find one that say's misunderstood.
From the article:

Quote:
In Greece, the average gross monthly wage, including social security and taxes, is 803 euros [about £700 or US$1063]
Quote:
And what about these fat Greek pensions? According to the GSEE Labour Institution, the average pension in Greece is 750 euros per months [£650 pounds or US$990]
Perhaps the author should do some basic math and realize Greeks are retiring on 90% of what they make. That's a pretty fat pension!

Perhaps the author should consider the costs of living in each country are different, as rent/gas/food is also higher in many of the countries with higher salaries.

All this article did was reinforce the lazy greek myth, cause the author was too lazy even to do his homework.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #81
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I don't know why your concerned about other people's taxes when the government has a poor track record of mismanaged funds and how it spends it's money.
Cause I cannot stop the government from wasting money - yet I can ask them not to waste MY money.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #82
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I'm voting NO to not get rid of the HST. I work in the film industry and it's great for business and starting to pay off already, this fall three productions with over $100 million dollar budgets will be filming in Vancouver. When the HST came into effect, we had several TV productions locate to Vancouver with the HST as the deciding factor even given the high CDN dollar.

With the HST, productions can full recoup the taxes paid on supplies used to build sets, catering, wardrobe, vehicle/equipment rental, etc... if that benefit is lost and Vancouver will lose productions.

Also as the HST is a consumption tax, I have no issue with paying a tiny bit more when I go out to eat, etc...
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I'm also voting no to keep the HST. I don't want increased taxes on my income when a lot of my money goes to savings. I'll pay taxes on what I spend, not what I earn.

The only time I noticed the HST was when I was working retail and people would bitch about paying more when they were paying the same amount. (12% PST/GST vs 12% HST on electronics)
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #84
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
From the article:

Perhaps the author should do some basic math and realize Greeks are retiring on 90% of what they make. That's a pretty fat pension!

Perhaps the author should consider the costs of living in each country are different, as rent/gas/food is also higher in many of the countries with higher salaries.

All this article did was reinforce the lazy greek myth, cause the author was too lazy even to do his homework.
lol have you ever lived in greece?

A frappe is 4 euro, a pita is 6 euro. You would starve in greece on a greek salary. You don't know real work until you work 14 hour days like most greeks due just to get by.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #85
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
lol have you ever lived in greece?

A frappe is 4 euro, a pita is 6 euro. You would starve in greece on a greek salary. You don't know real work until you work 14 hour days like most greeks due just to get by.
Rent is cheap in Greece compared to the rest of Europe. Food prices are about the same as Britian, yet rent is nowhere close.

Besides, like someone has already pointed out, 40% of Greeks working for unions wouldn't starve, and the Greeks retired at 55yo wouldn't starve. The rest are doing something wrong not to have the same entitlements as this massive group.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #86
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Voting to keep the HST.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #87
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
The only time I noticed the HST was when I was working retail and people would bitch about paying more when they were paying the same amount. (12% PST/GST vs 12% HST on electronics)
Funny thing is they are actually paying less on electronics, the tax isn't getting taxed anymore.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #88
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Rent is cheap in Greece compared to the rest of Europe. Food prices are about the same as Britian, yet rent is nowhere close.

Besides, like someone has already pointed out, 40% of Greeks working for unions wouldn't starve, and the Greeks retired at 55yo wouldn't starve. The rest are doing something wrong not to have the same entitlements as this massive group.
I'm sorry your insane.

You have no idea whats going on greece. I have family there and I have friends EMIGRATING from the country. You are painting some pretty picture that the news outlets are painting you. Do you believe everything they say? Who owns most of the world media? Ted turner, and ruport murdoch.

They are rioting because they don't want to be THE IMF's whore. They want to be their own independant nation.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #89
Banned By Establishment

Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #90
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry your insane.

You have no idea whats going on greece. I have family there and I have friends EMIGRATING from the country. You are painting some pretty picture that the news outlets are painting you. Do you believe everything they say? Who owns most of the world media? Ted turner, and ruport murdoch.

They are rioting because they don't want to be THE IMF's whore. They want to be their own independant nation.
lol dont waste your time with that clown. he argues just for the sake of arguing

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #91
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I'm sorry your insane.

You have no idea whats going on greece. I have family there and I have friends EMIGRATING from the country. You are painting some pretty picture that the news outlets are painting you.
I'm sorry you're a hypocrite.

You are the one that posted a media article about Greece's working hours, forgive me if I use the media to prove cost of living.

My best friend growing up emigrated from Greece, his father was a hard working restauranteur who was rarely home. That doesn't change the fact that 40% of Greeks work for government, and get 90% of their income in retirement 7-10 years earlier than most. What it does mean is that your family and friends aren't smart enough to secure one of these cushy well paying jobs.

Quote:
I agree with this. Germany and France do not want Greece to default cause then they take haircuts, so they keep feeding the vicious circle of Greek debt. Greece need to tell everyone to f'off, you loaned us money you knew we could not repay, so you've got to pay the consequences too.

My favourite blogger, Mike Shedlock aka Mish, has been saying this for a long time now.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #92
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
I came to the realization that I was more pissed about how the HST was brought upon us, and the almost arbitrary classification of what food the HST is or isn't applicable on.

But at this point it's going to be too costly to go back, and I don't want any more of my tax dollars to be wasted on that so I voted no.

If we want to get back at the government for practically lying to us, then voting them out at the next election is the proper way to accomplish that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #93
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry your insane.
Quote:
I'm sorry you're a hypocrite.
Lmfao you guys have debated with each other in off-topic to many times, it's become so well rehearsed it's hilarious.

Solving the Greek debt crisis is simple, the citizens of their country just need to recognize the seriousness of the situation like the rest of the world. Then they'll accept retirement at 65, pay taxes, and over time they can work on reducing their cash burning bureaucracy; the longer it takes for that to happen the more damage is done though, because investing in Greece is a crap shot and best right now.

It's the Americans that are a real threat to the worls economy, and we share a border with them..
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #94
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
If we want to get back at the government for practically lying to us, then voting them out at the next election is the proper way to accomplish that.
But who are we going to vote in? The NDP fucked over the province royally for years, and doesn't seem to have gotten any better over the past few years. If you're going to vote against them out of spite, there better be a better opposition in place.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #95
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It doesn't matter, as the government will find a way to get back that money. But ideally I would like HST to be gone.
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #96
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
this thread really made my mind change about extinguishing hst lol
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #97
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I operate my own small business 10-15 employees avg depending on demand my business is in the trades/construction industry. I am also a new father.

2 points here on the hst.

1) In the trades... People are holding off on renovations/building or are hiring black market contractors, No contract no tax no wcb no liability just to save 12% hit on their bill/invoice I guess they could handle 5% but not 12 think how much these contractors can under cut the market. This is no joke customers are literally demanding cash jobs. It used to be the other way around where shady contractors were looking for cash jobs to avoid real tax personal & gst. This is hurting honest companys who renew their business license, Have liability and wcb plus commercial coverage on vehicles forward the hst and pay on their income. Here's the up side I save on accounting because the system is soo much smoother.

2)Just starting a family... I have 2 young kids when the hst hit I noticed it. The pst exempted most things related to young children diapers, Clothes, snacks & recreational activities now hst apply's to almost everything.

Once again I say

Last edited by impulse777; 07-12-2011 at 01:14 AM.
impulse777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #98
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Solving the Greek debt crisis is simple, the citizens of their country just need to recognize the seriousness of the situation like the rest of the world. Then they'll accept retirement at 65, pay taxes, and over time they can work on reducing their cash burning bureaucracy; the longer it takes for that to happen the more damage is done though, because investing in Greece is a crap shot and best right now.
Or just let Greece go bankrupt, right off the bad debts and start over. It'll suck for a couple years, yet other countries have proved that the turn around time is within 5-10 years - while paying off that debt will probably take many decades.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #99
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91LS-VTak View Post
I'm voting to extinguish the HST because I want to go back to when I only had to pay GST on some items, not 12% on everything i buy.
I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, but nobody has come out to say that the PST exemptions will be reinstated if GST/PST comes back. SO assuming that the exemptions will not come back, you are still paying 12% tax on everything you buy instead of 10% with HST (if it stays at 10%). If the previous PST exemptions are not promised, there is no benefit whatsoever in getting rid of the HST, NONE.

If we go back to GST/HST, we have to give back the $1.6B the feds gave BC for switching to HST and that will be raised through increased income taxes. It has already been stated and nobody will dispute that HST streamlines processing both for the government and for business operators, and is a draw for business and can help the economy grow.

Like others have expressed, I initially hated HST more because of how it was forced down our throats and the loss of previously PST exempt items. I have come around to realize the benefits it can provide, but understand at the end of the day that HST will not be saving me any money even if it stays at 10%. My fear is that the benefits of HST to the economy will be lost on those who have not done their own research but are still harbouring ill thoughts on how HST was rolled out and are going to vote to get rid of HST just because it is HST (ie. not using their own logic) to make a point to the Liberals, nobody wins with this scenario.

Let's face the facts, the gov. will get their money one way or another. The only thing you can do about that is to vote for the gov. you like. I do not like the Liberals, but the NDP?? uhm, yeah, no thanks been there done that. So at the end of the day, what choice do we really have. If the previous PST exemptions are not promised, there is no benefit whatsoever in getting rid of the HST.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #100
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Why can't they give us 12% HST , and have the previous PST exempt items, HST exempt?

What are the downsides of that?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote