REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #30951
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJC View Post
Attempted 405 yesterday. Failed... lol

Guess the jump will take a little longer than I thought. I didn't warm up really, and jumped from my 225 set straight to 405. Impatient. Squeezed out 385 with some assist afterwards. More KFC, and more training...
you should try it without the gloves, lifting without em gives you way more hand torque and helps you transfer more force into the bar.
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #30952
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Big 3 currently.. Bench 350 (135lb DBx10), Squat 375, Dead 500. I don't lift heavy much anymore and I never do deadlifts. More hypertrophy as I'm trying to avoid injury and build muscle not power.

Berz out.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #30953
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
you should try it without the gloves, lifting without em gives you way more hand torque and helps you transfer more force into the bar.
Good tip. Guess I need to build up them calluses.
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #30954
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
225 right to 405 is a bad idea, i still go up by plates and rep 3 plates before i even get into 4 plates. just how i do it that is all
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #30955

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Buff kuntz

----------

455 skwot
315 binch tng (290 paused)
500 didlift

accomplished these between 160-166lb

Always wanted to compete, but never committed myself to it. Just turned 22 a week ago, so hopefully I'll make it happen before I'm considered an open lifter.
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #30956
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Buff kuntz

----------

455 skwot
315 binch tng (290 paused)
500 didlift

accomplished these between 160-166lb

Always wanted to compete, but never committed myself to it. Just turned 22 a week ago, so hopefully I'll make it happen before I'm considered an open lifter.
I'm doing my last meet this June for provincials as a junior, and will probably call it for the next little while. Powerlifting has been very fun and motivating, but its been a few years for me now, so time to move on.

you should definitely compete man, those are solid lifts

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 02:19 AM   #30957
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,014 Times in 8,292 Posts
Tweaked my lower back doing barbell rows, always happens when I get near my rep max

Hopefully should be fine by Sat. Had to skip squats today, did leg press instead

Adding fasted cardio on non workout days has stabilized the weight gain - I still eat like a mofo and weight is climbing but my waistline isn't
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #30958
xxx

Hello,

Been lurking this forum for some time and thought I'd share the results of my diet over the last 4-5 months. I kind of let myself go over the last few years as life got busy and only realized 5 months ago how fat I ended up getting.

It's been an amazing journey and I have to say, I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Being at manlet height of 5'7, I went from 170lbs down to 140lbs and am probably at 10-11% bf atm.
Now I'm eating at maintenance for 2 weeks to get my hormones and metabolism "reset" before hitting a moderate surplus and lean bulking to put on mass with as little fat gain as possible.

before

after
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #30959
Ricer Mod

Nice weight loss. Add some mass now you'll be golden!

Berz out.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #30960
My homepage has been set to RS

5lb tubs of musclepharm protein powder is on sale at Costco for $39.99. I bought 3. Cheapest I've seen in the last 2 years at Costco.
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #30961
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleophobic View Post
Hello,

Been lurking this forum for some time and thought I'd share the results of my diet over the last 4-5 months. I kind of let myself go over the last few years as life got busy and only realized 5 months ago how fat I ended up getting.

It's been an amazing journey and I have to say, I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Being at manlet height of 5'7, I went from 170lbs down to 140lbs and am probably at 10-11% bf atm.
Now I'm eating at maintenance for 2 weeks to get my hormones and metabolism "reset" before hitting a moderate surplus and lean bulking to put on mass with as little fat gain as possible.
nicely done. i'm in the same position, training starts today.

i eat very healthy but have a slight beer problem/addiction/obsession. need to at the very least cut it down by three quarters.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #30962
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,476 Times in 942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJC View Post
5lb tubs of musclepharm protein powder is on sale at Costco for $39.99. I bought 3. Cheapest I've seen in the last 2 years at Costco.
Expires in 2019 too

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #30963
xxx

Got a few PMs about my transformation so I thought I'd post it here so that hopefully it helps more people.

I'm not fitness expert but have acquired a lot of knowledge over the last little while since I'm genuinely interested in fitness and nutrition and have participated in a lot of forums, watched lots of youtube videos from people like Kinobody, Matt Ogus, Eric Helms (awesome and very knowledgeable coach--highly recommended), and read a lot of articles from nutrition guru Lyle McDonald (Articles : Bodyrecomposition). While not necessary to cut or bulk successfully, I think having the knowledge is amazing because it stays with you for life and gives you the tools to change your body at any time without having to rely on anyone else.

These are the rules I followed (all gathered from the various sources above):

1. Track your food intake (not necessary maybe but for me I like being accurate and this honestly takes NO TIME once you get the hang of it). It's so easy it takes me less than a minute to update every day. Also enables me to make adjustments at any time. Start paying attention to food labels and get a feel for how many cals are in each type of food. E.g. Medium McDonald's mocha is 360 cals. Easy peasy and if I feel like I want to drink that, I can fit it into my total calories for the day.

2. Eat at a caloric deficit (duh). My maintenance was around 2000-2100 so I ate at 1500-1600. I eventually went down as low as 1400 calories in the final 1.5 months of my diet). I didn't do much cardio which was why my calories were that low (remember I'm only 5'7). I probably could've eaten at 1600-1700 the whole way if I did more cardio but honestly, I just didn't have time and was also quite lazy about doing cardio. I probably did cardio once every couple weeks on the bike at moderate intensity ~30 minutes tops.
-a) keep protein at 1g/lb of bodyweight (can go up to 1.5g/lb if you want). This is important to spare lean body mass when cutting. (I kept it at ~140-160g)
b) keep fat at 25-30% of total calories (~40g for me)
c) Fill the rest of the calories with carbs (~130-140g for me)

so for a 1500 cal diet your macros may be 150p, 130c, 41f assuming you're at 140-150lbs. It doesn't have to be exact. My carbs were often higher than my protein.

3. WORKOUT. I worked out 3x a week. Focused on strength.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
Spoiler!

It's honestly pretty easy.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #30964
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
im 5'75 myself but 170 to 140lbs? i would never dare to go dip down below 150lbs, at 165ish

grats on the transformation, 140lb is deep down lol and no easy feat. You must of been starving haha

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #30965
xxx

^
thanks!

nah man I wasn't starving. In fact, most days (90% of the time) I was full and satisfied.
The only time I was very hungry was in the first 1-2 weeks which was expected but my body adapted fairly quickly.

As for going down to 140 lbs, it's honestly up to you. Just don't let anyone's ill informed blanket statements like "never go below 1600 calories...that's starvation territory!", or "if you cut to 140 lbs you'll be scrawny as chit, you need to gain weight first!" influence your decision. Most don't even bother asking about height, bf%, and activity level before making statements like that!

BTW I got crappy asian genes so a lot of you probably have faster metabolisms and won't really need to go down to 1400 calories. I'm pretty sedentary too and didn't do much cardio so you have to take that into account.

Last edited by Oleophobic; 04-11-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #30966
Ricer Mod

Deadlifted for the first time this year. I started my workout with BB rows then a couple buddies were deadlifting so I figured fuck it and worked in with them. Warmed up with 315 x8, then 405 for a single, 455 for a single and then pulled 475 Raw, no belt, very easy. Stopped there as I was just getting a feel for it. I think I could easily be in the 500's now.

Berz out.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #30967

Finished my 6 weeks of HRT last week - lost a week due to a flu. It went pretty well, gained about 4 or 5 lbs depending on the day, and bf% went down.

Tomorrow I start an actual bodybuilding program - a 4 day body part split. I always preferred a more athletic TBT program, but I'm just going for size now that I actually can. Can't wait to see how this goes!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #30968

Finished my 6 weeks of HRT last week - lost a week due to a flu. It went pretty well, gained about 4 or 5 lbs depending on the day, and bf% went down.

Tomorrow I start an actual bodybuilding program - a 4 day body part split. I always preferred a more athletic TBT program, but I'm just going for size now that I actually can. Can't wait to see how this goes!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #30969
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,841 Times in 3,881 Posts
Yeah down to 140 is crazy. I've been watching what I eat somewhat strict now for a month (turned 27 at the beginning of April). I'm already a pretty active guy, but always chubbier. Down from 196lbs to 180.1 as of this morning. Haven't upped my gym time as I still try to go 4 times a week. Though changed my routine up a lot. Definitely more geared towards leaning out vs putting on mass. Plus about 45 minutes on the treadmill at the start of my routine. Diet has changed to mostly eat healthy stuff, but cut out a LOT of carbs. I'm still keeping a max of 100g of carbs a day, but I have a physical job (average 28k steps a day) so some carbs dun scare me. But obviously keep sugars down, no bread, no buns etc so that rules out soooo much junk food.

My lunches are boring as fuck but it works. Plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, steamed/roasted veggies and some meat, whether it be fish, chicken, beef etc. Also cashews and beef jerky and stuff you can snack on a bit. No photos tho cuz as far as I'm concerned I'm still a fat POS
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #30970

That's pretty good man. How long have you been cutting?
What's your weight lifting routine like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Yeah down to 140 is crazy. I've been watching what I eat somewhat strict now for a month (turned 27 at the beginning of April). I'm already a pretty active guy, but always chubbier. Down from 196lbs to 180.1 as of this morning. Haven't upped my gym time as I still try to go 4 times a week. Though changed my routine up a lot. Definitely more geared towards leaning out vs putting on mass. Plus about 45 minutes on the treadmill at the start of my routine. Diet has changed to mostly eat healthy stuff, but cut out a LOT of carbs. I'm still keeping a max of 100g of carbs a day, but I have a physical job (average 28k steps a day) so some carbs dun scare me. But obviously keep sugars down, no bread, no buns etc so that rules out soooo much junk food.

My lunches are boring as fuck but it works. Plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, steamed/roasted veggies and some meat, whether it be fish, chicken, beef etc. Also cashews and beef jerky and stuff you can snack on a bit. No photos tho cuz as far as I'm concerned I'm still a fat POS
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #30971
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,841 Times in 3,881 Posts
LOL I very much hesitate to use the word cutting Heheh. Much prefer 'diet' until you actually see some cuts

Work out routine is the very generic 4-5 days a week kind of schedule. Back, chest, legs, shoulders then arms. Higher volume with lower weight (12-15 reps instead of the classic 8-10 to glory lol). Trying to focus on contraction and clean steady movements over heavy weights for size. Really the goal is to improve my cardio and lose body fat. So running 45 minutes fasted in the morning before work and gym, walking to work, Doing hikes on my days off.

Coles notes: just choosing a more active healthy lifestyle
Old 05-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #30972

Sounds like you are doing cardio + cardio.
To gain more size, you need time under tension. So when you're doing all those reps and tearing muscles, that's how you gain size when you said you don't want. I did 5x5 for 10 months last year and ended up losing 40lbs and I'm not huge or buff at all. But I was doing all compound lifts. 5 reps does give you some size but more strength and it's nice to never be sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
LOL I very much hesitate to use the word cutting Heheh. Much prefer 'diet' until you actually see some cuts

Work out routine is the very generic 4-5 days a week kind of schedule. Back, chest, legs, shoulders then arms. Higher volume with lower weight (12-15 reps instead of the classic 8-10 to glory lol). Trying to focus on contraction and clean steady movements over heavy weights for size. Really the goal is to improve my cardio and lose body fat. So running 45 minutes fasted in the morning before work and gym, walking to work, Doing hikes on my days off.

Coles notes: just choosing a more active healthy lifestyle
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #30973
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone here do any oly lifting? I've been practicing my cleans for quite a while now, and I still can't seem to get that hip pop that I see so many lifters doing. Is that an intentional pop, or is it just a result of the triple extension? I know you're not supposed to bounce the bar off of your upper thighs

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #30974
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
Anyone here do any oly lifting? I've been practicing my cleans for quite a while now, and I still can't seem to get that hip pop that I see so many lifters doing. Is that an intentional pop, or is it just a result of the triple extension? I know you're not supposed to bounce the bar off of your upper thighs
You're correct the bar shouldn't 'bounce' out of the pocket, but it should make contact with your body. The pop you see is a result of the triple extension and it should be the most explosive part of the 1st and 2nd pull. (think slow to the knees, faster to the thigh and fastest as the bar contacts your hips).

I think this video from Aleskey Torokhtiy (olympic gold medalist) explains the 2nd pull the best. He has a LOT of great videos about Oly lifting ranging from mobility to all out training cycles.

If you're interested in learning more I highly recommend looking into a few of the Oly clubs in Vancouver such as Dynesty, Ultimate, UBC/SFU... etc

https://www.bcweightlifting.ca/clubs/

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #30975
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanks a lot man! Just tried that exercise, definitely helps with the second pull

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: