REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #551
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Does anyone have the FIDO card?

FIDO MasterCard Credit Card Review - GreedyRates

I assume it's the same as the Rogers card with the 4% cashback on foreign purchases. But NO Annual Fee

Also, do these cashback balances translate to money credited back at the end/start of the year? Or is it money to be spent on Rogers/Fido purchases? Kinda how Fido Points works.
I have one as my travel card! The cashback balances translate to money every January
Advertisement
Thooomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #552
I am Hook'd on RS

With the Rogers you can used the "points"/cashback at any time for Rogers purchases, or once a year as a credit on your statement in January like Thooomas said. You have to call by Dec 1st and ask that your rewards balance be put on your statement, otherwise it just sits there.

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #553
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
It's actually 3% on gas, groceries, and entertainment. 2% on everything else, but once they come in with their devaluation of the card, the effective travel rewards is only like 1.4% or something.

the card is getting nerfed.
nvm i read it again $1 for 140 points from 100 points.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bmo-...-2018-2114812/

Wow that blows. Loved this card. Fucking dicks....

What's a good travel card now?

Last edited by Nlkko; 12-02-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #554
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
So I just found out Amazon is discontinuing their Chase Credit card (no foreign exchange markup).

Any other CC's that provide a similar feature? I read on RFD about Home Trust's Visa but a lot of people there say they're being denied after applying (with good credit, good income).
My Chase Amazon VISA card is about to expire, and I have just received a new card through the mail.

Funny thing is, everything about the new card is exactly the same as my current one (except for the expiration date, obviously). In the accompanying standard letter stuff, it even re-iterated the same 2% cash rebate Amazon purchases, 1% rebate on other purchases, and no forex fees (as before).

Now, I have just applied for the Rogers MC as well, and I think that card's foreign currency purchases are still better than what the Chase Amazon VISA has to offer. After all, 4% rebate - 2.5% forex fees still means I am out ahead with a 1.5% rebate, versus the straight 1% rebate from the Chase Amazon. But it doesn't seem like the Chase Amazon card is going away any time soon -- not for its current customers, at least.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #555
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
I've never known of a CC card company to drop existing customers. I suppose they are just limiting new ones from Canada from joining for whatever reason.

In any case, I applied for the Fido card (identical to the Rogers' one). 4% cashback sounds good to me

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #556

The Fido card should beat it though.

My current combo is MBNA Rewards WE (main), Fido (foreign transaction), Amazon VISA (backup VISA card) and an idle BMO Rewards WE card that gonna get downgraded to a rarely used no-fee card soon.

Last edited by Nlkko; 12-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #557
My homepage has been set to RS

couple out there.

Scotia Momentum Visa has annual fee waived and they have 5% back on first 3000, then 3 after that. Solid Card.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #558
I am Hook'd on RS

Even with the annual fee (had the card a couple years now), it's still excellent. The extra cashback more than covers the fee compared to the MBNA or other no fee cashback cards.

I use that card for gas/groceries (4%), Rx/bills (2%) & travel (flights/rental cars/hotels - good insurance coverage). Rogers MC @ 1.75% cash back on anything else and any foreign currency transactions (4% back, less 2.5% fee).

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #559
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Currently using 3 CCs:

Rogers MC - 4% cashback on foreign transactions (-2.5% conversion fee) so effectively 1.5% cashback on foreign transactions and 1.75% on everything else. Pretty much the daily card, but I currently have a low limit on it, so I keep other cards around.

Chase Amazon Visa - 2% cashback on amazon.ca purchases, 1% on everything else, and no foreign conversion fee. I use this for amazon purchases or when my rogers card is maxed.

Scotia scene - 1% everything. I don't use this anymore, just have it as backup.
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #560
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
couple out there.

Scotia Momentum Visa has annual fee waived and they have 5% back on first 3000, then 3 after that. Solid Card.
Pretty solid benefits. But I've had issue getting the 5% on the first $3000 spendings. Been calling every now and then throughout the whole year, to the point my wife's fed up and doesn't care anymore (so we'll just get our standard 4%).

Takes forever getting through to someone, person on the other line seems to have no idea about the 5% bonus. Be put on hold while transferring to someone that actually sounds like they know what they're talking about. Gives different responses of "credit should appear soon" to "wait a few months".

Then if you call again, you have to re-explain the whole situation again. Gotta explain really slow, cause remember, no one there seems to know about their own benefits. Then this time, the other person says "receive it at the end of the year, or they say a specific month (that's a few months away)".

I think I got the card late last year or early this year. If anyone knows how or when we see this 5% cashback, let me know...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #561
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Need a new mastercard replacement. Any good recommendations? Currently using MBNA one with no annual fee but they dont have cashback anymore
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #562

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Alaska Airlines if you travel regularly, both within North America and or Asia. Miles are good to use in North America, comes with companion pass yearly to make up for the annual fee. Sign up bonus good for intra Asia business ticket redemption on Japan airlines.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #563
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
MBNA Alaska world elite is the only card I use atm and you can also "borrow" at .99%apr for one year.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #564

New VISA card: https://www.alterna.ca/Personal/Cred...ards/Infinite/

120 annual fee
2% on everything
4% on foreign transaction
Trip Insurance.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #565
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
never heard of them but it sounds very similar to the chase sapphire reserve in the US

damn I already booked most of my next year's trips on existing card

if I go down to the US often, can I use the emergency health insurance on that card even if I don't book a hotel and it's just a day trip?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #566

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Zero sign up bonus on the alterna... Didn't look into it but for 4 percent cb on foreign purchases, do they still charge the standard visa 2.5percent fee. If so, that effectively makes it a 1.5 cb
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #567
Need to Seek Professional Help

Signed up for 2 new cards a few weeks ago (apparently temporary hit on my credit score but whatever)

1 was the Scotiabank Gold Amex (4x points on gas, grocery, dining&entertainment)
1 was the Scotiabank Visa Infinite (4% cash back on gas, grocery, 2% on drug store and recurring)

Both annual fees are waived for the first year, and i got $100 amazon GC bonus for each card. In addition, the Gold Amex gives $250 worth of points for the first $1000 spent on everyday purchases in first 3 months. While the Visa gives 5% on first $3000 as mentioned by someone above.

My question is: will my cash back/points rewards be redeemable within a year? I plan on cancelling the two within a year since the fee will stop being waived after first year.

Separate note, I currently have the TD Visa Infinite which is the only card i use (3% on gas,grocery,recurring). The annual fee is waived as long as I bank with an all-inclusive debit account. But I will be using the new cards a lot more in 2018.

Before I go on my next trip abroad, I want to get that Rogers card for the foreign currency benefits.

you guys can google "ratehub best credit cards" as they occasionally have good articles.
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 AM   #568
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post

120 annual fee
2% on everything
Trip Insurance.

I’m lookin real hard... where does it say 4% foreign transactions??
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #569
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Chase Support

Verified account

@ChaseSupport
3h3 hours ago
Replying to @Gh0strider
Hello, Chase will be discontinuing the Marriott Rewards Visa Card program with Canada. ^AR

FYI, those that have this card.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #570

for existing customers too?
i'm on Chase's Amazon.ca visa and it's been so rumoured so long that the no-forex fee is going away
Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #571
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post

120 annual fee
2% on everything
Trip Insurance.
https://www.collabriacreditcards.ca/...nd%20Terms.pdf

says 2.5% is charged

Quote:

Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #572
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
for existing customers too?
i'm on Chase's Amazon.ca visa and it's been so rumoured so long that the no-forex fee is going away
That card is shutting down in March 2018

Quote:

Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #573
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
That card is shutting down in March 2018
feelsbadman

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm

Quote:
As of March 15, 2018, Chase will be closing all Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card accounts. Please update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments before this date.
I'll need a new card for foreign transactions now. Anyone have any suggestions?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #574
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
The Amazon VISA?

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm

I'll need a new card for foreign transactions now. Anyone have any suggestions?
https://www.chase.com/online/canada/...CN_ada-eng.pdf

Quote:
Important Information:
The Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program is ending, and your account is closing on
March 15, 2018.

Thank you for being a valued Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Cardmember. We are writing to notify you that the
credit card relationship between JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in Canada and Amazon.ca is ending and that
Chase will be closing the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program as of March 15, 2018.
Here’s what you need to know about your account
• As of March 15, 2018, you will no longer be able to use your card for new transactions.
• The terms and conditions set out in the Cardmember Agreement for your account will still apply after
your account is closed.
• The annual interest rate on your card will not change once the account is closed.
• Please destroy any cards or cheques you have associated with this account, including any authorized
user cards, after March 15, 2018.
• After March 15, 2018, you will not be able to enroll for a new online account to view your Amazon.ca
Rewards Visa Card information on Chase.ca. If you do not currently have an online account and would
like to access your account online you must enroll for your online account prior to March 15, 2018.
Continue making payments as outlined on your monthly statement
• You will continue to receive your monthly statements until any outstanding balance is paid. You
may either pay your balance in full immediately upon receipt of your statement or continue to make
payments as set out in your statement until your balance is paid in full.
• Update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments
(e.g., cable or utility bills) before March 15th, 2018, if you wish those services to continue.
Changes to your Rewards Program
• You will continue to earn rewards on purchases made before March 15, 2018.
• If you have a rewards balance at the time your account is closed, you will receive a statement credit for
the full amount of your rewards balance.
• You will receive a credit for the balance of your points value calculated on purchases made before
March 15, 2018 at a conversion of $1 = 100 points. If you have between 1 and 100 points, then you
will receive a credit for $1.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions about the information in
this letter or any other aspect of your account, please call 1-866-557-7811 or visit Chase.ca/amazon to
learn more.
Sincerely,
Chase

Quote:

Old 01-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #575

guess I'll be jumping on that alterna for foreign transaction + travel insurance
so is it 4-2.5% = 1.5% rewards?