REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Fashion Discussion Thread. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669975-fashion-discussion-thread.html)

MindBomber 06-23-2012 12:31 PM

Fashion Discussion Thread.
 
The "list your latest fashion purchases" thread is becoming filled with questions and discussion, so a dedicated thread for those posts seems necessary. Denim specific questions and discussion belongs here.

First subject of discussion:
Does anyone have any recommendation for places to thrift in Vancouver?

PJ 06-23-2012 06:51 PM

I don't really thrift, so to speak..

I never cheap out on denim and jackets/hoodies.. But sometimes if I'm itching for something inexpensive, new, and temporary, I usually pick up a few random things at H&M/Urban Behavior/AE for dirt cheap. Namely summer clothing. The "cheaper" t-shirts from these places are very thin, light, and pretty much built to last no longer than a couple months. At $6 a shirt, it's a fair price to last you through the season. You don't want to be wearing heavyweight cotton during the summer anyway. (Though it's not like we're having much of a summer here ..)

iam_dan 06-23-2012 07:10 PM

has anyone shopped on Glit Groupe?
i might open up a mailbox at the border just for this

RESN 06-23-2012 07:19 PM

Theres a consignment store on Main street.. (near King Edward/ 16th Avenue).

found APCs, Nudies (all worn before though :heckno:)

unit 06-23-2012 07:26 PM

the main reason i dont go to thrift shops is because i dont have the patience to sort through all the junk to find something decent.

blee123 06-23-2012 11:49 PM

does the American Apparell store at metro ever have any sales? Are their basic hoodies included in their sales? How much discounts for their sales usually? 40%?

BossFrancis 06-24-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee123 (Post 7956891)
does the American Apparell store at metro ever have any sales? Are their basic hoodies included in their sales? How much discounts for their sales usually? 40%?

AA has warehouse sales sometimes, theres great selection but I didn't like anything so I didn't know the prices compared to regular sales. The AA Facebook page has frequent "flash sales" as well.

instantneedles 06-24-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee123 (Post 7956891)
does the American Apparell store at metro ever have any sales? Are their basic hoodies included in their sales? How much discounts for their sales usually? 40%?

RS group buy for AA hoodies? :fullofwin:

ForbiddenX 06-24-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RESN (Post 7956646)
Theres a consignment store on Main street.. (near King Edward/ 16th Avenue).

found APCs, Nudies (all worn before though :heckno:)

Is it Vancouver Consignment Clothing & Accessories | Front & Company I pass it almost everyday just that I've never taken the time to go in and try to find things lol.

I go to value village from time to time when they had their 50% off everything, found a few good deals but haven't gone recently.

I don't think I'd ever buy heavily worn raw denim lol

areyounoob 06-25-2012 11:10 AM

gGuys, What is your your experience with pilling sweaters and tees with higher up brands like Wings and Horns and Reigning Champ?
Really tired of my sweaters and tees from AA pilling up so quickly..

PJ 06-25-2012 11:28 AM

Do you wash your hoodies very often?
My t-shirts never really pill, and I have a good amount of tees and hoodies from AA.
Do you put them in the dryer?
Chemicals (detergent and softener), # of regular washes, and wear will always cause all clothing to pill.

I don't wash my hoodies very often, maybe once or twice a month, depending on how often I wear them..

Unless your clothes get heavily soiled.. try doing your laundry under the "light' option, with less detergent. I find even the "normal" setting is overkill.

You could always try depilling with a razorblade..

The higher end brands probably won't pill as fast, but ultimately they still will.

unit 06-25-2012 11:41 AM

dont machine dry hoodies. hang dry always.

iam_dan 06-25-2012 12:14 PM

Definitely try depilling with a razor blade. It took me almost an hour to do my Sisley cardigan, but it was so worth it. The cardigan looks brand new after I gave it a good shave lol. Just use any disposable shaving razor (I prefer single bladed in case I rip the fabric by accident) and lightly shave off the pilling spots.


thegentleman 06-25-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iam_dan (Post 7956629)
has anyone shopped on Glit Groupe?
i might open up a mailbox at the border just for this

I just checked their site, they seem similiar to Hautelook.

areyounoob 06-25-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iam_dan (Post 7958155)
Definitely try depilling with a razor blade. It took me almost an hour to do my Sisley cardigan, but it was so worth it. The cardigan looks brand new after I gave it a good shave lol. Just use any disposable shaving razor (I prefer single bladed in case I rip the fabric by accident) and lightly shave off the pilling spots.


Interesting.. I'll definitely give this a try! Worst comes to worst I'll just buy more to throw into the rotation so that the overall pilling is lessened on a single garment.
Thanks again guys.

Renxo 06-25-2012 03:50 PM

watch out for machine drying anything with a zipper...they get all contorted and start to look ridiculous....ESPECIALLY if the zipper has any plastic ....

and don't those consignment stores and Value village have bed bugs or something? I couldn't buy used clothing...sounds gross =/

areyounoob 06-25-2012 08:40 PM

Yeah I realized that the hard way with my Gap sweaters.. the zippers became all curvy after the first machine dry :( And that's my biggest fear when going thrifting at Value Village or any secondhand store.. bedbugs, fleas, etc.

blee123 06-26-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossFrancis (Post 7957082)
AA has warehouse sales sometimes, theres great selection but I didn't like anything so I didn't know the prices compared to regular sales. The AA Facebook page has frequent "flash sales" as well.

so how good are their sales at their official stores? are the classic hoodies usually included in their sales?

blee123 06-26-2012 02:38 AM

which brand of hoodie do u guys think is better quality? American apparell or Alternative hoodie? they are in the same price range

RevYouUp 06-26-2012 02:39 AM

^ I have an American Apparel hoodie that is still in good shape after 2 years. However, my Alternative apparel hoodie is a weird shaped and messed up after I washed and dried it a few times...its basically unwearable now. :(

Does anyone know when that Journey's store in Richmond center is opening? I need new shoesssssssss

blee123 06-26-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevYouUp (Post 7959045)
^ I have an American Apparel hoodie that is still in good shape after 2 years. However, my Alternative apparel hoodie is a weird shaped and messed up after I washed and dried it a few times...its basically unwearable now. :(

Does anyone know when that Journey's store in Richmond center is opening? I need new shoesssssssss

Is Journey a brand or something?

btw did u see the "express" store opening up at Pacific centre soon? Know what they sell?

btw what color was your alternative hoodie? the material is so soft and nice !

RevYouUp 06-26-2012 03:14 AM

Journey is some shoe store. Journeys Shoes - The Styles You Need, the Brands You Crave

My alternative hoodie was gray with a black plastic zipper and hood string.

blee123 06-26-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevYouUp (Post 7959056)
Journey is some shoe store. Journeys Shoes - The Styles You Need, the Brands You Crave

My alternative hoodie was gray with a black plastic zipper and hood string.

ah ic, i jus bought a dark grey alternative hoodie but my zipper is silver and hoodstring is white. Are we talking about the same one? mine was $65

RevYouUp 06-26-2012 04:45 AM

Probably not..I bought mine like a year
ago for like 30bucks iirc. Mine was probably made
from crappier material. :(

MindBomber 06-26-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyounoob (Post 7958656)
And that's my biggest fear when going thrifting at Value Village or any secondhand store.. bedbugs, fleas, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renxo (Post 7958347)
and don't those consignment stores and Value village have bed bugs or something? I couldn't buy used clothing...sounds gross =/

A helpful article on cleaning thrift store clothing.

Given thought, the idea of second hand clothing can be a bit unpleasant. After a very thorough cleaning, the clothing smells fresh and totally clean again though. I have anything purchased second hand dry cleaned, even t-shirts. I wouldn't buy second hand shoes, too hard to get clean.

Quote:

How To Clean Thrift Store Clothing
By: Ana Jackson
Break Studios Contributing Writer
Bargain hunters often wonder how to clean thrift store clothing. Even when garments look clean, they often have a musty, not so fresh smell. The good news is that you can enjoy great thrift store bargains while you wear fresh smelling clothes.

Dry clean your thrift store clothing. Look at the care instructions tag. If the piece of clothing is dry clean only, send it to the dry cleaners. Dry cleaning destroys most germs since dry cleaning involves the use of chemicals and heat.

Wash the garment. If the garment is washable, wash it in hot water. Use the hottest setting possible, but only if the manufacturer’s tag indicates that you can use hot water. Add about one eighth cup of Pine Sol to the wash cycle. Once the wash and rinse cycles end, run it through another rinse cycle. This time, add one tablespoon of baking soda to the rinse water. The baking soda will get rid of the Pine Sol scent. You may use any disinfectant or antiseptic solution in place of Pine Sol. However, test the antiseptic solution on a small area of the garment to ensure that it does not cause any fading. Dry your thrift store clothing in the hottest possible setting.

Disinfect accessories. Disinfect items such as shoes, leather caps and other small items with Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Test the antiseptic product on an inconspicuous area on the item to ensure that it’s safe to use alcohol or any other disinfecting solution. Simply dip a piece of cloth or cotton swab in the disinfecting solution and wipe the item with it.
Cleaning and disinfecting thrift store clothing is simple and does not require much of your time, so keep looking for second-hand bargains. Enjoy your thrift store clothing while you enjoy the savings.
How To Clean Thrift Store Clothing | Made Manual

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7956652)
the main reason i dont go to thrift shops is because i dont have the patience to sort through all the junk to find something decent.

To me, even a shopping in standard retail stores is a bit of a treasure hunt. I've often spent a day shopping at standard retails stores and only found one or two great pieces, but a plethora of mediocre and terrible ones.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net