REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   The iPhone 5 and iOS6 Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673461-iphone-5-ios6-thread.html)

Hondaracer 06-07-2014 11:19 AM

So kinda have a situation here, tell me if you guys think this makes sense:

Took my 16gb 5 in to apple a few months back because of dust behind the camera screen, out of warantee, they wont open the 5 to clean so offered me a refirb or whatever for $269

fast forward to today and my phone now kind of charges intermittently from when i dropped it on Vacation. I'm sure i could go back in and get the $269 new phone with both these issues now

As well, my hardware upgrade with rogers is due in september when the new iphone will be out

So... pay $269 for the new phone, i should be able to flip it for MINIMUM $350 when i get a new phone as long as it's still mint. and that additional cash pays for my hardware upgrade, no?

Mike Oxbig 06-07-2014 12:06 PM

Dont apple take in your old device for exchange for the refurb?

Hondaracer 06-07-2014 01:03 PM

Yes, but the refurb is brand new

Cassijon 06-08-2014 12:43 AM

fuck this stupid iphone 5.

so the power button stopped working 2 months ago and have been using the assistive touch since then.

today, while updating an app, the home button stops working then it gives me the black screen of death. The actual phone is still on as ppl can still call and it rings, itunes recognizes the phone when plugged in, however t the screen just doesnt work.

only option i had was connect the phone to PC, transfer all pictures and videos to a folder on my desktop, then erase the whole phone through 'find my iphone'.

what a fucking piece of shit this phone is.

MTV Cribs 06-08-2014 02:08 AM

Then you should switch to the Samsung Galaxy S5 because it will never have these problems. Samsung phones are very high quality and reliable :troll:

JordanLee 06-09-2014 05:45 AM

The power button jamming is a very common problem. So much so that they extended the warranty on the phone for that specific issue. Check it out and you may be able to get it replaced for free

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon (Post 8483670)
fuck this stupid iphone 5.

so the power button stopped working 2 months ago and have been using the assistive touch since then.

today, while updating an app, the home button stops working then it gives me the black screen of death. The actual phone is still on as ppl can still call and it rings, itunes recognizes the phone when plugged in, however t the screen just doesnt work.

only option i had was connect the phone to PC, transfer all pictures and videos to a folder on my desktop, then erase the whole phone through 'find my iphone'.

what a fucking piece of shit this phone is.

!Aznboi128 07-04-2014 11:01 PM

^
no

silva95teg 08-25-2014 06:43 PM

https://ssl.apple.com/ca/support/iphone5-battery/

Apple is replacing iphone 5 batteries, check to see if you qualify. This has been a huge issue for me, my phone shuts off at 20-30 percent remaining.

To the above, the sleep button is also a known issue and is listed under support for free replacement as well. My phone falls in the serial range for that also but I have never had that issue.

beanzzz 08-27-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva95teg (Post 8521150)
https://ssl.apple.com/ca/support/iphone5-battery/

Apple is replacing iphone 5 batteries, check to see if you qualify. This has been a huge issue for me, my phone shuts off at 20-30 percent remaining.

Had the same problem, finally had enough and decided to buy a replacement battery off eBay and replace it myself a month ago. I don't understand why it took almost 2 years to notice the batteries were faulty, mine started acting up a almost a year ago.

Nabatron 08-27-2014 07:10 PM

^same with mine my iphone5 battery died a couple days after my one year warranty was up and had to buy another battery...wasnt impressed thats for sure!

skholla 08-27-2014 09:36 PM

My iPhone 5 battery started dying about a month before the 1 year mark but I was way too busy to take it in. Ended up going in at the 14 month mark and was denied warranty, it didn't help that the phone was recently dropped and the power button worked only when pressed from one side. Apple offered a phone swap for $269 but I declined....

Ordered a replacement battery and power/volume flex cable of off ebay for $20 and fixed it myself. Battery was a pain due to the adhesive not wanting to let go but the real PITA was the flex cable. What a bitch!!! Had to take the entire phone apart, every part and screw had to come off just to replace a paper thin $5 cable. It only took one evening and was a good learning experience but I definitely buying AppleCare+ going forward.

As for the recent power button and battery repair program... Im kind of pissed it took so long. In my case the button was damaged due to a fall but if Apple was still willing to cover then it would have saved me the hassle. Maybe they purposely wait it out to push people to do the $80 in-store battery replacement or $269 phone swap. Then after a year with no warranty passes (and the next next iPhone is due to come out) they announce this program... Knowing that everyone is going to want the new iPhone instead of fixing their crappy 2 year phone that has a lot of wear and tear.

Genius business model or just circumstance? My money is on the first one! Same reason why Apple will never put an SD card slot on their phones or tablets. I don't like it but understand completely. I guess thats why my apple stock has almost gone up 10x in value.

ScizzMoney 08-27-2014 09:53 PM

^
My iPhone 5 had the same power button issue. Took it to the store and the dude working there said there had been hundreds returned to that store alone for that problem. This was at Chinook Center in Calgary.

skholla 08-27-2014 11:26 PM

Mine was dropped with dents on all 4 corners and a dent in the power button itself. I doubt they were going to help me given the damage/abuse. Also this was back in January, way before the repair program was announced.

krystal01 09-01-2014 01:10 AM

I just think 4S was a classic one.