REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #16626
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ I looked into 3 or more bed apartments, basically it's not worth it as you're looking to buy the most expensive units. Strata is the highest as you have the largest unit, property tax is high, and you still only get one parking space and storage. More if you're real lucky. If you're looking for more than two beds just look into townhouses. Strata is half the cost, more space and property tax is similar and you get more private space
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
O and you don't have to deal with bs condo insurance rates, the townhouse insurance is like half the cost of a one bed condo
Yeah, definitely looking into townhomes, not apartments. Detached is still out of my budget sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
That's a big one, I wish I had that when my son was that age I probably would have had a second kid for sure. Getting my parents to babysit on a weekend night so my and I could go on a date kid free twice a year was like pulling teeth. At least he's old enough where we could leave him now.
Hopefully we will be close enough to both sets of parents for childcare help in the future - Asian parents are good that way, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
We almost fell into the trap of going the let's buy a starter place then upgrade later. At the time we had 1 kid and had plans on having a 2nd down the road but not soon. Looked at 2 bedroom condos as a starter place but after months and months of looking decided to stretch the budget and go all in on a 3 bed townhome. Thank god we did, we have 2 now and everyone has their own room and we have enough space in theory to last us for some years to come.
Yep, definitely don't want to do that. Want to try to avoid moving for at least a decade. I hate moving!
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #16627
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
And with a baby on the way and presumably (one income earner losing a chunk of income), daycare expenses. I mean WTF, does everyone get an automatic raise when they announce they're pregnant?
Some companies do top up so you don't completely lose your income. Both our jobs topped up when we had our baby, it meant I could take the 9 weeks off and help out at home while wife took 18 months(her company topped up the first 4 months).

I subsequently took a higher paying job to cover some of the lost income as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The Child Care Benefit sorta helps and a small portion of daycare fees can be tax deductible. However, the child care benefit is scaled to income, so most households buying $1M+ homes aren't really going to benefit from it much because the payments are small once income earners hit the 80K income level.

At the end of the day, one of the big reasons to pay daycare fees is to maintain/ increase your household income so that you can move up the property ladder.
Most people, at least those who are on here probably doesn't qualify for much CCB.

Everyone does get basic daycare assistance, but it's like $200. We make too much to get any sort of "extended" assistance, which sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
We almost fell into the trap of going the let's buy a starter place then upgrade later. At the time we had 1 kid and had plans on having a 2nd down the road but not soon. Looked at 2 bedroom condos as a starter place but after months and months of looking decided to stretch the budget and go all in on a 3 bed townhome. Thank god we did, we have 2 now and everyone has their own room and we have enough space in theory to last us for some years to come.
This is what we did. We got a 3 bed TH as our first home. Thank god we did. With WFH FT for the foreseeable future we could do with even more space. A 2 bed condo would be sucked.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #16628
HELP ME PLS!!!

Open houses cancelled as from today?
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #16629

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
Open houses cancelled as from today?
According to my sources, yes, all open houses cancelled.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #16630
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I think his S2000 is doing better than his ETFs
If BAT is any sign, cars are a better investment than gold lol
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #16631
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I would avoid near downtown Vernon and along 24th Ave towards okanagan landing. Lots of homeless problems. The further from downtown the better things get.

Comparable houses are at least 100k cheaper in Vernon than kelowna. Rent prices are not much less than kelowna. House with a suite is the best bang for buck in my opinion. Would bring in minimum $2600-3000 between both units and you can find for $400-450k with patience. 20mins to silverstar skiing and biking, 1hr to Kamloops, close to revelstoke, 40mins to kelowna airport. 3.5-4 hours to Vancouver.
ok sweet thanks

one benefit for us in vernon is my father in law lives there so he could check in and help with any issues without us having to drive up there

are you up there? any contacts for realtors?

and what's the rental market like? surplus or shortage of places?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #16632
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
3 years! Nothing should surprise me anymore but is it sitting in a .5% savings account waiting? Could you not left it 'invested' until you purchase?
I started putting some money back into the markets since it seems like it won't be 2021 until I get a place. The area I was planning to buy in this summer got decimated by vacancy and I wanted lower volatility and lower vacancy for my first rental unit.

If I decide to buy a principal residence first, I'd look for 2br's and have a roommate to cover some overhead. I just moved out in October with a roommate into a 2br and so far I feel like this is my ideal set-up for the next 5 years. It's nice having a roommate to share some household expenses. Also really fun socially.

I currently have 15% of my cash in lower volatility stocks and ETFs focussed on dividends. 20% in REITs. The remaining 65% is sitting in what used to be the 3.3% HISA at LBC digital. It's like 1.5% now? It's also against every personal finance advice to keep the money you need within the next 5 years in the market. If the market goes down, you can't buy because your downpayment will be severely reduced.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #16633

Quote:
I think his S2000 is doing better than his ETFs
14% YOY for the last 2 years

But it doesn't matter, it brings too much happiness and fun for me to ever sell it. I see myself dropping $50k for another lower km one in 15 - 20 years down the line.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #16634
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #16635
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Thoughts on Carleton by Censorio in Burnaby Heights? Wood frame, brand new build and never lived in. 720 sqft for 599K
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #16636
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,517 Times in 4,314 Posts
So many ballers on Revscene Why aren't more girls on here snatching up all you ballerz?!

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #16637

Quote:
So many ballers on Revscene Why aren't more girls on here snatching up all you ballerz?!
All the girls know not to date a car guy lol
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #16638
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,517 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
All the girls know not to date a car guy lol

Gerbs - Are you single?

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #16639
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
[emoji38]

Gerbs - Are you single?
Gerbs lucked out. Got a car girl

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #16640
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Gerbs lucked out. Got a car girl
Thought you were single.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #16641

Quote:

Gerbs - Are you single?
Nope. But I'll boot her outta the garage for you dukes.

https://imgur.com/a/vpxYHZk

But realistically, ever since I moved out. I noticed how easy it is for my friend/roommate to date and hookup with girls when you have your own living space, good career, and generally attractive. Mans clapping cheeks every week lol. I think it's because most guys in their 20's are stuck living at home, which hinders dating and social life.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 11-10-2020 at 09:44 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #16642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Nope. But I'll boot her outta the garage for you dukes.

https://imgur.com/a/vpxYHZk

But realistically, ever since I moved out. I noticed how easy it is for my friend/roommate to date/hookup with girls when you have your own living space, good career, and generally attractive. Mans clapping cheeks every week lol. I think it's because most guys in their 20's are stuck living at home and that hinders dating.
1) It's awkward af to bring a girl home when you are 3 steps away from your snoring parents

2) It's awkward af for a girl to come with you when there's a chance she might run into your parents

3) ditto both if you have siblings

4) If you have your own place chances are you've got your shit together, if they are evaluating this long term it just makes way more sense for them.

@Gerbs wtf do you do to own a house with a garage?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #16643

Quote:
1) It's awkward af to bring a girl home when you are 3 steps away from your snoring parents

2) It's awkward af for a girl to come with you when there's a chance she might run into your parents

4) If you have your own place chances are you've got your shit together if they are evaluating this long term it just makes way more sense for them.

There's no way I can afford a house, not yet at least. We got it for like mid 400's back in the early 2000's but pretty much grew up house poor to be able to pay it off.

I just moved out for the first time in October to get a better feel of different areas I wanna buy into. I store the car at my mom's garage. She's getting pretty old and has poor vision so she can't drive anymore and has no use for the garage. So I'm pretty fortunate to have some extra spaces at home to store a car.

I can't believe 2 - 3 BR condos only have 1 parking spaces. 2 if you're lucky.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #16644
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,730 Posts
Quote:

4) If you have your own place chances are you've got your shit together, if they are evaluating this long term it just makes way more sense for them.

I was fucking in my late teens and early 20's, the girls just had to say hello to my mom on the way up the stairs to my room But yes, having your own spot is definitely easier.

The problem nowadays is every girl wants to be at your place 90% of the time, to the point they might as well move in. Rent here has created an atmosphere where every couple shacks up within a year of dating, the Vancouver special
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #16645
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,312 Times in 2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I was fucking in my late teens and early 20's, the girls just had to say hello to my mom on the way up the stairs to my room But yes, having your own spot is definitely easier.
LOL~
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #16646

Quote:
There's no way I can afford a house, not yet at least. We got it for like mid 400's back in the early 2000's but pretty much grew up house poor to be able to pay it off.

I just moved out for the first time in October to get a better feel of different areas I wanna buy into. I store the car at my mom's garage. She's getting pretty old and has poor vision so she can't drive anymore and has no use for the garage. So I'm pretty fortunate to have some extra spaces at home to store a car.

I can't believe 2 - 3 BR condos only have 1 parking spaces. 2 if you're lucky.
Sounds like my parents. They cashed out a few years ago though and have been moving all over the place. Been through a TH and 2 condos. My mom is thinking of moving again.

Our 3br TH has 2 parking. Some of the units have 3 spots and I am indefinitely jealous cause I would 100% have some other POS sitting in that 3rd spot.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #16647

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

The problem nowadays is every girl wants to be at your place 90% of the time, to the point they might as well move in. Rent here has created an atmosphere where every couple shacks up within a year of dating, the Vancouver special
Back in the late 2000s, it was not uncommon to score rentals under $1000 per month in good locations, like the West End. The pressure for couples to live together was not nearly as great back then as it is now.

I guess the appeal of 'having your own place' has changed considerably over the past decade too. Even just 10 years ago, it was a given for most people under-30 to be able to live on their own and for many to have a starter condo somewhere on the east side, or in the near suburbs.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #16648

Quote:
Sounds like my parents. They cashed out a few years ago though and have been moving all over the place. Been through a TH and 2 condos. My mom is thinking of moving again.

Our 3br TH has 2 parking. Some of the units have 3 spots and I am indefinitely jealous cause I would 100% have some other POS sitting in that 3rd spot.
I'm definitely grateful having that extra space to store a car or two haha. But I think we might downsize soon. My brother will be moving out soon and if my mom stays at the house alone. The carrying costs average out to like $800 - 1,000/month.

At what age would you consider your parents moving back into you so you can help them out? My mom wants to live with me in the future after I get married and have kids. She's turning 70 next year. However, I can't fathom living with her again since after finally moving out. The privacy and space is too good to give up lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #16649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Back in the late 2000s, it was not uncommon to score rentals under $1000 per month in good locations, like the West End. The pressure for couples to live together was not nearly as great back then as it is now.

I guess the appeal of 'having your own place' has changed considerably over the past decade too. Even just 10 years ago, it was a given for most people under-30 to be able to live on their own and for many to have a starter condo somewhere on the east side, or in the near suburbs.
I weighed out my options and it went like this.

My rent options if I wanna stay within 10 - 20 minutes of where my friends and work. I'd be saving difference compared to buying.

$1,000 - 1,300/month splitting a nice 2br condo
$1,600 - 2,300/month for a 1br
$2,300 - 2,700 for a 2br so I can have a home office

or I can drop $100 - 150k on a downpayment and live a bit further away in areas I considered.

$550k - Studio in Oly Village
$530 - 600k 1br in Kits
$525 - 550k 1br in Joyce
$650- 675k 2br in Brentwood
$400 - 525k in Richmond

The issue I have is that if the place I'm buying isn't better than my current place at home. I rather just move back home and be closer to everything. That's why I haven't considered older place in like New West, Coquitlam, Edmunds, and Richmond. I guess I'm spoiled and priviledged because I have that option.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #16650
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,927 Times in 3,879 Posts
Quote:
I'm definitely grateful having that extra space to store a car or two haha. But I think we might downsize soon. My brother will be moving out soon and if my mom stays at the house alone. The carrying costs average out to like $800 - 1,000/month.

At what age would you consider your parents moving back into you so you can help them out? My mom wants to live with me in the future after I get married and have kids. She's turning 70 next year. However, I can't fathom living with her again since after finally moving out. The privacy and space is too good to give up lol
Get a place with an inlaw suite? With kids your privacy is shot anyways, but this way she still has her own space and you get on-site babysitting.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: