REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #16601
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,181 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking of selling my 2BR/2BA apartment and finding a larger townhome-type of dwelling, as my wife and I are thinking of starting a family within the next year or two. What do you think would be better - to hold and sell next year, or try to sell this year?

We would like to sell the apartment to use my equity in it as the downpayment for the next place, which we hope will be between 800k-1m. Currently the other apartments in the area (Marine Gateway) are around 800k, give or take 50k either way, and I expect to have about half of that as equity out of my apartment after fees and taxes and everything else is subtracted.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #16602
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,525 Posts
You're already in a legally binding contract. There is absolutely zero benefit to you for signing the consent form. Why are you even considering it?

If the buyer backs out for whatever reason, he backs out of the transaction. At least you'd get to keep his deposit to mitigate your lost opportunity.

I'd just stay the course and wait it out until the deal closes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
I have a RE deal that's closing in just over a month and half. all subjects have been removed, and it's undeveloped land. Buyer is requesting us to sign consent form for city so that he can start working on getting permits to develop the land. The property was sold heavily discounted at more than 30% below assessed value. I have no legal obligation to sign the form other than good-will to help buyer get started working on the property.
The risk I can think of by signing consent form is that since buyer hasn't paid full price, there could be issue rising if he finds anything that may impact value of the land. There is no reason to believe that there is any issue with land, but since it has never been developed, it's not an impossible scenario.
Buyer already demanded lowering price once after offer has been accepted on the ground of extra work required than expected prior to removing their subject, and the deal almost broke off.
Would you be signing consent form in my case?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #16603
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Hey guys, I am thinking of selling my 2BR/2BA apartment and finding a larger townhome-type of dwelling, as my wife and I are thinking of starting a family within the next year or two. What do you think would be better - to hold and sell next year, or try to sell this year?

We would like to sell the apartment to use my equity in it as the downpayment for the next place, which we hope will be between 800k-1m. Currently the other apartments in the area (Marine Gateway) are around 800k, give or take 50k either way, and I expect to have about half of that as equity out of my apartment after fees and taxes and everything else is subtracted.
From the practicality point of view alone, I'd just get the selling and buying over with right now instead of waiting until next year. Once le wifey becomes preggers, everything can run the risk of becoming a lot more complicated and troublesome, and I am not even talking about the uncommon stuff.

Life isn't always 100% about money, and I'd say in your case, this would be one of those times to just get the housing stuff done and over with before moving on to the baby making stage.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #16604
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
^^ I agree too, get your shit straight, I know of people who had kids that went from one bed to two bed, then now they have to sell their two bed to get detached or semi detached. You lose so much just on realtor fees. Do it one time and do it right. Plus the stress of buying and selling, this is all within the last 3 years too, they just sold their 2 bed and took a loss. Just so they can close on their new place
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #16605
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
I like how people can casually hop from a 1 br into a 2br. Decide that isn't going to work and get a detached haha.

Everyone is so wealthy here.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #16606
in the butt

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,196 Posts
Its all an illusion gerbs

Like instagramnz

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #16607
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I like how people can casually hop from a 1 br into a 2br. Decide that isn't going to work and get a detached haha.

One can just take on more debt, debt is cheap(not that I recommend that). Let's say you have a two bed in Vancouver, you can probably go to a detached in Langley for a just bit more debt if you haven't maxed out.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #16608
Need to Seek Professional Help

The Killarney TH has sold for 882k.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #16609
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,431 Times in 5,688 Posts
The one I went to?
Old 11-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #16610
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The one I went to?
Yup!
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #16611

Old 11-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #16612
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
From the practicality point of view alone, I'd just get the selling and buying over with right now instead of waiting until next year. Once le wifey becomes preggers, everything can run the risk of becoming a lot more complicated and troublesome, and I am not even talking about the uncommon stuff.

Life isn't always 100% about money, and I'd say in your case, this would be one of those times to just get the housing stuff done and over with before moving on to the baby making stage.
Thanks! For sure, I'd like to avoid moving again when the bun goes in the oven. We will move and settle in first! Luckily I can stay with my parents for now so it will be easier to stage and sell the apartment, I just hate moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ I agree too, get your shit straight, I know of people who had kids that went from one bed to two bed, then now they have to sell their two bed to get detached or semi detached. You lose so much just on realtor fees. Do it one time and do it right. Plus the stress of buying and selling, this is all within the last 3 years too, they just sold their 2 bed and took a loss. Just so they can close on their new place
Thank goodness I'm already in the 2BR side of things - now looking to go 3+den or 4 bed. I'm lucky enough that I have a place to stay while selling and looking so no pressure to sell to close on another place.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #16613

^^ I looked into 3 or more bed apartments, basically it's not worth it as you're looking to buy the most expensive units. Strata is the highest as you have the largest unit, property tax is high, and you still only get one parking space and storage. More if you're real lucky. If you're looking for more than two beds just look into townhouses. Strata is half the cost, more space and property tax is similar and you get more private space
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #16614

O and you don't have to deal with bs condo insurance rates, the townhouse insurance is like half the cost of a one bed condo
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #16615
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:

And with a baby on the way and presumably (one income earner losing a chunk of income), daycare expenses. I mean WTF, does everyone get an automatic raise when they announce they're pregnant?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #16616

^^ once you get your mortgage granted no one cares how you pay it. Given that mortgages are only granted up to about 40% of your combined income, even if half drops to zero. You should still be able to pay your mortgage. Once you have a kid you get more free money from the government plus mat leave pay. Unless you work at like mcdonald's, but then you wouldn't even be buying a one bed apartment if you worked min wage.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #16617

Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
^^ once you get your mortgage granted no one cares how you pay it. Given that mortgages are only granted up to about 40% of your combined income, even if half drops to zero. You should still be able to pay your mortgage. Once you have a kid you get more free money from the government plus mat leave pay. Unless you work at like mcdonald's, but then you wouldn't even be buying a one bed apartment if you worked min wage.
The Child Care Benefit sorta helps and a small portion of daycare fees can be tax deductible. However, the child care benefit is scaled to income, so most households buying $1M+ homes aren't really going to benefit from it much because the payments are small once income earners hit the 80K income level.

At the end of the day, one of the big reasons to pay daycare fees is to maintain/ increase your household income so that you can move up the property ladder.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #16618

Lol..that is a pretty tight wire to be walking..

I’m sure many people are in those situations but to me that would be stressful af
Old 11-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #16619

I've actually seen a few female co workers do this, have a kid, go on mat leave, their position and pay is protected. Come back work for few months, have another kid, mat leave pay again. So it's not like they are going broke. And most Asians have free home childcare by grandparents.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #16620
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I've actually seen a few female co workers do this, have a kid, go on mat leave, their position and pay is protected. Come back work for few months, have another kid, mat leave pay again. So it's not like they are going broke. And most Asians have free home childcare by grandparents.
That's a big one, I wish I had that when my son was that age I probably would have had a second kid for sure. Getting my parents to babysit on a weekend night so my and I could go on a date kid free twice a year was like pulling teeth. At least he's old enough where we could leave him now.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #16621
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,770 Times in 911 Posts
Quote:

We almost fell into the trap of going the let's buy a starter place then upgrade later. At the time we had 1 kid and had plans on having a 2nd down the road but not soon. Looked at 2 bedroom condos as a starter place but after months and months of looking decided to stretch the budget and go all in on a 3 bed townhome. Thank god we did, we have 2 now and everyone has their own room and we have enough space in theory to last us for some years to come.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #16622

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
One can just take on more debt, debt is cheap(not that I recommend that). Let's say you have a two bed in Vancouver, you can probably go to a detached in Langley for a just bit more debt if you haven't maxed out.
My friends that just bought had to max out + put 20 - 35% downpayment, their mortgages are around $400-500k. They felt like there's nothing they can do about it if they wanted to buy at the moment within Van and Burnaby. They're also buying 2010+ condos, nor looking for the best value.

Means I gotta keep finding ways to increase income and make more money

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #16623

I withdrew most of my money from ETFs at the end of 2019 because I planned to buy a 1br condo sometime in the next 3 years.

Recently, I don't know if that's the best idea. Two bedrooms have a better $/sqft value. Maybe I should just keep saving away for a 2br? I plan to live in a condo for another 8 years at least. Since I don't plan to have kids till I'm like 32+

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #16624
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

3 years! Nothing should surprise me anymore but is it sitting in a .5% savings account waiting? Could you not left it 'invested' until you purchase?
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #16625
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,619 Times in 4,351 Posts
I think his S2000 is doing better than his ETFs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: