REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #76
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Harper knows it's all BS and he's dealing with it in a perfect fashion because she will look like the idiot. Watch them deny Harper or make another BS excuse.
Advertisement
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #77
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
All predictable.

I'm not concerned with Spence unraveling, she begun to a couple weeks ago, but she's little more than a mascot for the movement, and the organizing leadership will sweep her aside once she's outlived her usefulness. It's not as if the meeting will not proceed, Spence just won't be in attendance.

I'm also not concerned over the Chiefs being in disagreement; it would be foolhardy to propose compiling a concise and pointed list of demands for such a broad sweeping set of issues.

One of the most important issues is educating Canadians, and dispelling the deep rooted misconceptions about First Nations people that are so prolific. As long as Idle No More generates conversation, it is effectively making progress on that front.

I've noted, interestingly; CBC released an article regarding conduct within the comments section of its website, because the measure of outright racism is so prolific its becoming impossible to moderate. Posts showing guarded racism and severe misconceptions of First Nations people are consistently the most popular via the thumbs up icons.

The Idle No More Facebook page is surprisingly encouraging.

I quite liked this photo.

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #78
Banned By Establishment

Sun News : Idle No More has power to bring economy to its knees: First Nations leader

Quote:
The Manitoba chiefs also threatened that unless the federal government meets their demands - which include the repeal of the government's budget bill - the protest movement Idle No More is ready to seriously disrupt the Canadian economy.

"We have the power," Derek Nepinak, the grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, told reporters. "The Idle No More movement has the people and the numbers that can bring the Canadian economy to its knees. It can stop Prime Minister Harper's resource development plan and his billion-dollar plan to develop resources in ancestral territories. We have the warriors that are standing up now that are willing to go that far. So we're not here to make requests. We're here to demand attention and to demand an end to 140 years of colonial rule. That's what we're all about."
This entire fiasco is getting out of hand. This is nothing more than an attempt at blackmail. People are getting fed up with this BS, and the more BS like this they pull, the quicker the day of reckoning will come.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #79
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Sun News : Idle No More has power to bring economy to its knees: First Nations leader

This entire fiasco is getting out of hand. This is nothing more than an attempt at blackmail. People are getting fed up with this BS, and the more BS like this they pull, the quicker the day of reckoning will come.
Sounds awfully like terrorism to me.

Maybe the US Military will invade to liberate us?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #80
Wanna have a threesome?

First Nations groups resorting to terrorism would, arguably, be unprecedented; and any argument would collapse into the old discussion of who fired the first shot during the Oka Crisis. I do not believe Idle No More or the larger First Nations community will resort to that level of conduct. Figures like Terry Nelson are fringe elements, not accepted or respected, and there opinions will achieve nothing, aside from distracting from the real conversation. In America there's routinely talk of overthrowing the Democrat Commies among the crazies, this is the same BS and warrants no more respect.

noclue,
I'm curious if you have any response to my last response to you on the prior page? re: sunk cost.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #81
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm very satisfied to say, there's been a significant change in the direction of First Nations threads.

I had only relatively recently joined RS when a thread concerning a counterfeit bill being passed arose, and the suspect was described as First Nations. Instantly, the thread exploded, "Never trust a Native," "Natives are all drunken, drug abusing, thieves," "I've never met a sober Indian," and these posts received avalanches of 'Thanks,' but never points. The outright racist posts seem to have since disappeared, only occasionally subtle racists tones remain, and even they seem to not arise from a genuine dislike or resentment towards First Nations people. The collective effort to dispel misconceptions, and above all, the willingness to discuss the issues and listen to the responses has actually had a tangible affect! Thank You, Tapioca, Dino, Grid, Graham, EB, CA, Lomac, and even you CiC (although Terry Nelson is a tool). As a person very proud to have a First Nations heritage, it makes me smile to see the change.
Thanks for the shout out, but...

sigh. The proper spelling for my name is to the left.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #82
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
derp,herp.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 01-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

No love for Graim.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #84
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

I swear, I looked at your username to clarify I was spelling it correctly.

How did I still manage to spell it incorrectly....

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #85
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I swear, I looked at your username to clarify I was spelling it correctly.

How did I still managed to spell it incorrectly....
Probably the same way you did managed to make that mistake too

Been happening all my life. Don't worry, it's
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #86
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
a great video

murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #87
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
wow! thats a great video!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #88
Wanna have a threesome?

Wow! That is a great video, thank you, murd0c.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #89
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
So they want to be heard. They want the rest of Canada to pay attention because changes are coming.

But what do they want? And what are they going to do?

Quote:
The Manitoba chiefs also threatened that unless the federal government meets their demands - which include the repeal of the government's budget bill - the protest movement Idle No More is ready to seriously disrupt the Canadian economy.

"We have the power," Derek Nepinak, the grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, told reporters. "The Idle No More movement has the people and the numbers that can bring the Canadian economy to its knees. It can stop Prime Minister Harper's resource development plan and his billion-dollar plan to develop resources in ancestral territories. We have the warriors that are standing up now that are willing to go that far. So we're not here to make requests. We're here to demand attention and to demand an end to 140 years of colonial rule. That's what we're all about."

If this thing that belka posted is true, this is no better than Bin Laden's hatred for America

Quote:
The Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera released a full transcript Monday of the most recent videotape from Osama bin Laden in which the head of al Qaeda said his group's goal is to force America into bankruptcy.

Al-Jazeera aired portions of the videotape Friday but released the full transcript of the entire tape on its Web site Monday.

"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah," bin Laden said in the transcript.
http://articles.cnn.com/2004-11-01/w...in?_s=PM:WORLD
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
So they want to be heard. They want the rest of Canada to pay attention because changes are coming.

But what do they want? And what are they going to do?

If this thing that belka posted is true, this is no better than Bin Laden's hatred for America

Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S. - CNN
There is little hope that 1.2 million Indians will stop blackmailing 33 million Canadians. After all they learned from the very best: Quebec. It is the Canadian way. I hope Canadians read between the lines with all the bullshit threats about attacking the economy and warriors rising up and the guy from the link above blatantly saying violence is an option.

Hopefully if violence erupts our police forces won't take their cue from the Sarnia police.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #91
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I found a different source (Non Sun News) the credits a different native leader (Chief Wallace Fox) with a quote similar to the one from Nepinak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Regina
"We are going to take control. We are going to take the agenda,” said Chief Wallace Fox of Onion Lake Cree Nation.

Fox said he respects the decisions of others to go, but he won’t be pushed around anymore.

“If we have to shut down this economy then we will. Nobody is going to stop these Idle No More movements,” he said to huge shouts from the crowd.
Global Regina | Atleo faces meeting with Harper amidst deep divisions

If two different chiefs, who are literally the voices of their community, are saying the same thing I think we've just found out what the #IdleNoMore movement is going to be about. Getting everything they want or hurting an entire nation's economy.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/antiter/she...rdefp1-eng.asp
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #92
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If the idle no more movement decide to use terrorism/blockades I think it'll turn out worse than the Oka crisis because Stephen Harper is much more cold then Brian Mulroney and probably send the military to crush the movement asap when things turn ugly.

Off topic but im curious to see what happens when UBC's lease on the land expires and the musqeaum don't want to renew. Do they move the 100 year old campus?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #93
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Stephen Harper is much more cold then Brian Mulroney and probably send the military to crush the movement asap when things turn ugly.
No way. They'll be paid off, big time.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #94
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

can somebody update me on what this whole thing is about?

1.) natives want a bigger cheque from the gov't
2.) natives got seriously f*ucked by the white man way back when 100+ years ago
3.) natives issuing threats to the economy
4) gov't caves into demands, and we pay out the ass in our taxes and life goes back to normal?

are the natives even armed? do they have any combat experience?
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #95
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
From my understanding the movement was started by young people but the people meeting with the government are the same old people that have talked to them before.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #96
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I found a different source (Non Sun News) the credits a different native leader (Chief Wallace Fox) with a quote similar to the one from Nepinak.

Global Regina | Atleo faces meeting with Harper amidst deep divisions

If two different chiefs, who are literally the voices of their community, are saying the same thing I think we've just found out what the #IdleNoMore movement is going to be about. Getting everything they want or hurting an entire nation's economy.

The Anti-terrorism Act
Terry Nelson also advocates violence, and you've omitted him from your list. Nelson included, you'll have compiled a list of three out of six hundred Chiefs advocating the action in question. The list you will have compiled represents only a small portion of one percent of Chief's, but you have the confidence to define the opinions they present as the voices of an entire people. I'll return to the false analogy you presented earlier: assuming Fox, Nelson, and Nepinak are analogous to Bin Laden, 'Idle No More' is an extremist movement of a degree analogous to the level that Islam is an extremist religion.

'Idle No More' does not have a simply worded set of grievances, stating in precise words what it seeks to achieve. The issues 'Idle No More' seeks to protest are too broad sweeping, and they vary from region to region. It would be impossible for 'Idle No More' to construct the list you propose, so instead it broadcasts a general message. If you'd like specific issues, I'm sure if you contact the Band Council of any specific people they'd happily inform you further.

I'd suggest, you visit the 'Idle No More' main page or any of the regional sub-pages on Facebook. I've not seen any mention of violent protest, not even a modicum or inclining. I've only seen peaceful protests, and they're occurring worldwide. On every continent, indigenous and non-indigenous people are voicing support and staging demonstrations. The request made by the demonstrations is to be heard, not ignored, because it's time a serious effort were put forth to resolving the long-standing issues consecutive Governments have refused to give consideration. No requests for billion dollar funding transfers have been made, like people seem to be suggesting. A dispersion of funds equal to those of non-indigenous Canadian's is not unreasonable, and an attempt to reconcile land disputes is not either.

I've formerly enjoyed reading posts by you, EB; even with the staunch Republican position that you often assume. I've recently seen you take to suggesting; First Nations and Aboriginal people should protest funds being sent to Haiti; First Nations Chiefs are equivalent to Bin Laden, who killed thousands of innocent people; the voice of 0.5% of the population is reflective of the majority position. You're entitled to voice your opinion, but I must say, at least in my opinion, it's degraded very significantly in quality. I'm not criticizing, just offering my opinion.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #97
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot-llat View Post
can somebody update me on what this whole thing is about?

2.) natives got seriously f*ucked by the white man way back when 100+ years ago
no, they've been getting fucked ever since; sure there are the odd bands/tribes that have begun raking it in but not the majority and it's not just about $$$ although, used properly, that'll help get things on the right path

you could lay blame on them and to a degree you'd be right but when a society and culture are in a rut, that would make the grand canyon look small, that the government threw them in, it would be stupid to expect them to be able to climb out of it on their own

it's like a mentally ill, homeless guy in the DTES, throwing him some change or giving him a free meal isn't going to bring him out of his condition it just allows him to survive; you have to do so, so, much more and people aren't willing to and it's easier just to ridicule them
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #98
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

There's alot of talk about society and Canada's responsibility.

Simple question - Where does personal responsibility factor into this?

At the core, it's a nature vs nuture debate.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #99
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post

You need to expand on this.

FN "nature" was taken away and they were "nurtured" to assimilate.

And, this shit wasn't 100+ years ago. Remember, the last residential school was closed in 1996. Think about it.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #100
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post

I hope the Harper government tells them "No more money to the reservations, get out, you're Canadian like everyone else. Intergrate into society like every other Canadian or immigrant" and that's that. They want "Equality" they need to give up their little pie in the sky view on things and the reservations. The Natives want to be the Pigs in the barnyard. I don't think that is able to happen.
This post FAILED by: