REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #301
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Mark Cerny talks PS4

"time to triangle" = the time it takes developers to produce usable low level graphics

Quote:
The developer-led initiative to create PS4 has led to the console becoming as approachable to developers as the original PlayStation, a key system architect has claimed.

Mark Cerny, who has spent five years working with Sony to build the next generation PlayStation console, made the claim during a keynote address at the GameLab expo in Barcelona.

He explained his reasoning using the term "time to triangle" - a phrase which essentially means how long it takes coders to create usable graphics with the hardware.

In a slide presented to the audience, he claimed that programmers commonly required one to two months to produce low-level graphics code on PlayStation One.

Cerny then claimed that the PS2 - a system remembered for its complex and sophisticated architecture - required three to six months of coding for studios to get going.

Later in the presentation, he remarked on a PS3 development meeting he had with Ken Kutaragi back in 2004. Kutaragi, the former head of Sony Computer Entertainment, told Cerny to focus less on "time to triangle" and more on the bigger picture of building highly sophisticated hardware.

"Triangle counts are misguided," was, according to Cerny, what Kutaragi had told him. As a result, the PlayStation 3 was the most complex system yet, requiring six to twelve months for studios to build usable graphics code.

Cerny said that, prior to Sony releasing the PS3, first-party PlayStation studios were struggling with the hardware.

"The third party teams were having an even more difficult time," he said.
At launch, the internal focus shifted from sharing technology (to help devs) to working on launch titles (to create games). Cerny said much of the direction in the creation of PS3 was "clearly a mistake".

Cerny, who says he spent an entire holiday in 2007 researching the history of x86 hardware to see if it was possible on a next-gen console, told the audience that his direction is different to Kutaragi's.

As the key PS4 system architect, Cerny said that in 2008 he sent a questionnaire for third parties to ask what features they wanted on future hardware.

After speaking with more than thirty teams from around the world, he said the most popular request from developers was unified memory - a requirement which the PS4 team fulfilled.

Cerny said the company was tempted to add an eDRAM chip to the system, as it would increase the memory speeds in further, but eventually declined as it would mean more work for studios to get running.

"The straightforward approach we have gives us excellent day one performance," he claimed.

Altogether, the "time to triangle" on PlayStation 4 takes about one or two months, Cerny claimed, which theoretically makes the system as developer friendly as the original PlayStation.

This ease of use benefits the "vital" third parties, and in particular indie developers, Cerny said.
News: PS4 as dev-friendly as original PlayStation, claims Cerny - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

hopefully that means we'll get awesome multiplat games and that we'll be getting games out faster than before
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #302
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
So I pre-ordered my PS4 already.. I was wondering which games you guys selected? I haven't pre-ordered any games yet because I am unsure on which ones to get or which ones would be worth getting.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #303
ph0
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Got free $300 Best Buy gift card, gonna pay cash on top of that to grab one when it comes out
ph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #304
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

^^^
free gift card?
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #305
ph0
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
^^^
free gift card?
Well you have to sign up with moneris for 3 months and they gave you $300 gift card of your choice, since that was their promotion at that time. The gift cards don't have expiry dates so I ended up grabbing best buy gift cards
ph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #306
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
So I pre-ordered my PS4 already.. I was wondering which games you guys selected? I haven't pre-ordered any games yet because I am unsure on which ones to get or which ones would be worth getting.
i pre ordered BF4 with it, just because if you do, they give out a free map pack

im psyched to finally play BF4 64 player online on a console, but then i realized............. there wont be alot of people online on a launch console

im gonna pick up watchdogs and assassins creed 4 when i do pick up my console, ps4 games wont sell out
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #307
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I think i may just buy the console, download a few demo's check those out, digitally purchase a few single player games until i read more reviews about the multi players.

I am interested in that racing game Drive Club, but it won't be fun unless a group of friends play it together. Everything else is kind of blah for me, MGSV seems great too as im a huge fan of MGS games, however its not a launch title. Killzone is always a great title but it doesn't hold much replay value.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #308
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
A lot of games will be free to play this gen, so you don't need to commit to buying games yet
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #309
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #310
Resident Bullshitter

So anyone gonna buy a Vita for PS4?
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #311
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone still accepting Day-One PS4 pre-order?
From what i understand the pre-order at bestbuy and futureshop are not day one release anymore
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #312
RS controls my life!

I hope they have a good Vita / ps4 bundle!
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #313
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3m View Post
Anyone still accepting Day-One PS4 pre-order?
From what i understand the pre-order at bestbuy and futureshop are not day one release anymore
sauce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
sauce?
GameStop no longer accepting PlayStation 4 pre-orders | Polygon
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #315
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
umm it just says they stopped taking preorder, nothing abt preorders not being day one launch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #316
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
sauce?
Both Futureshop and Bestbuy website and store had pre-order up the day after PS4 was announced and within hours it went to "sold out"

then a week or so later it became available again, which makes me think Futureshop and Bestbuy depleted their initial stock number already and they are taking pre-orders for future shipments
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #317
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I pre ordered on the 27th of June and I was able to get first shipment. I was lucky because a lot of ppl returned their pre order tho.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #318
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
umm it just says they stopped taking preorder, nothing abt preorders not being day one launch...
Amazon had Launch Day editions which gaurantee you get your console day 1....if you PO now from BB/FS I do not believe you'll get it day 1.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #319

Quote:
Which means if you can still preorder it, you won't get it on launch day
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #320
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #321
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Amazon had Launch Day editions which gaurantee you get your console day 1....if you PO now from BB/FS I do not believe you'll get it day 1.
yeah,well here's a refresher for those who missed on the first time pre-ordering,this is you're second chance. Back in Stock & these will be a hot ticket item come Xmas with the huge lack of them
PlayStation 4 (Launch Edition): Amazon.ca: Computer and Video Games
Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #322
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
yeah,well here's a refresher for those who missed on the first time pre-ordering,this is you're second chance. Back in Stock & these will be a hot ticket item come Xmas with the huge lack of them
PlayStation 4 (Launch Edition): Amazon.ca: Computer and Video Games
I pre-ordered with that link, this means im gaurenteed day 1 as well is that correct? (of course with shipping delay)
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #323
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_monster View Post
I pre-ordered with that link, this means im gaurenteed day 1 as well is that correct? (of course with shipping delay)
No.

Now that I've quit my job, I'm gonna pass on a little bit of insider information... Sony has not made any official commitment to ANY Canadian retailer (online or big box store) for shipment quantities. As far as any Canadian company knows, Sony may ship a million units across the country... or ten... for launch day. You'll notice no company is guaranteeing delivery for day 1 with their pre-orders. It's the reason why BB/FS took down their PS4 presale page within hours, and it's the same reason why other companies who normally sell this stuff aren't allowing presales.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #324
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Old 08-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #325
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st - NeoGAF

So, a mod-verified gaffer named Nealand Liquor just posted this interesting tidbit in the TALES FROM MY ASS thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealand Liquor

Rumor: Our internal product release schedule from head office dropped yesterday and on Oct 21st an unnamed Sony console will be launched. Fyi all console revisions like the ps360 slims and Wii Mini were listed as ps360 & wii mini. Previously the wiiu, 3ds and vita were also only listed as Nintendo/Sony Console in the product name column.

Disclaimer: I just work at a very large retailer, managing the electronics sales force and nothing more. I have nothing to do with purchasing, nation wide merchandising or shipping. I am not trying to play this off as I have connections at Sony, or I am some sort of insider. It's that just yesterday we received a product release schedule from our head office and I thought this is OT itt. These schedules btw, are for internal use only, designed to allow us time to create our instore merch plans. If the launch date for a product is unknown, it's simply marked TBA. The only time a date is ever included is when we have received confirmation of said date from the product company.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: