REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Litecoin - the GPU Mining Alternative to Bitcoin (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682580-litecoin-gpu-mining-alternative-bitcoin.html)

SkinnyPupp 04-05-2013 06:31 AM

Litecoin - the GPU Mining Alternative to Bitcoin

As we all know, mining Bitcoin is dead unless you have ASIC hardware. Well it's not quite there yet, but it will be. And because Litecoin is so new, it might be better to switch now than later, when GPU Bitcoin mining does eventually die.

I wrote an article that goes into why, and I really think there is a good reason for there to be a supplement to Bitcoin.

Litecoin, the GPU Mining Alternative to Bitcoin

It also uses less power... If you have a GPU to spare, I would say go for it! The people who got into Bitcoin at the very beginning are very rich now. If you are kicking yourself for not participating, here is your second chance :)

Razor Ramon HG 04-05-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks for replying to my PM about it :lol

Glove 04-05-2013 08:10 AM

can you give some sort of explanation as the what this is?

i looked on wikipedia but it doesnt make sense to me.

you just leave your computer on and let your GPU's stress test and you get bitcoins in exchange?

then you sell your bitcoins for real money?

what do you buy with bitcoins? and why would people even want bitcoins?

SkinnyPupp 04-05-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8204406)
Thanks for replying to my PM about it :lol

lol sorry, I was going to give you a link to my article when I was done, then I forgot
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 8204438)
can you give some sort of explanation as the what this is?

i looked on wikipedia but it doesnt make sense to me.

you just leave your computer on and let your GPU's stress test and you get bitcoins in exchange?

then you sell your bitcoins for real money?

what do you buy with bitcoins? and why would people even want bitcoins?

Yes, you mine with your GPU. Beware, as some GPUs don't mine well enough to make the energy cost worthwhile.

What you do with your bitcoin is up to you. There is a very good chance that it will replace a lot of currencies - who knows, maybe all of them? It depends on how shitty the world gets.

If you'd been mining and selling when it was $1 or whatever, you'd be kicking yourself now that it's in the $140 range. But the end ratio could be upwards of $10K per 1 BTC (remember it is divisible by 8 decimal points.. so a lot of transactions would be like 0.00005 BTC)... but then once it gets to that point, who wants USD anymore?

Litecoin aims to be the 'silver' to Bitcoin's 'gold'. There is more of it, and it is easier to mine. It's like having a silver coin to go along with your gold coin. It will buy smaller things, and be faster to use.

Or you could wait and try selling it.. right now it's like $4 USD per LTC, but I think the actual value is more like $15 or so. So if anything, buy now, sell when it reaches proper value.

Since it will be so easy for people who accept BTC to add LTC, it won't have the super long adoption wait BTC has.

Hondaracer 04-05-2013 08:51 AM

What kind of card would you need to effectively mine? I've got a 2gb 6970 I believe
Posted via RS Mobile

ryugeeh 04-05-2013 08:56 AM

use GUIMINER-scrypt. Has presets for ATI cards.

nabs 04-05-2013 08:57 AM

So i have a high end computer sitting around doing nothing. How do I set it up to make some of this money?

SkinnyPupp 04-05-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8204463)
What kind of card would you need to effectively mine? I've got a 2gb 6970 I believe
Posted via RS Mobile

You can do some serious LTC mining with that. One benefit of LTC is that it uses less power too. Load up GUIMiner and see what you get. Use this page for preset recommendations.

twitchyzero 04-05-2013 09:32 AM

does CFX scale almost linearly when you mine? WTB 6990/7990 :lol

SkinnyPupp 04-05-2013 09:52 AM

Yup it's pretty much linear AFAIK. The more ram and processors you throw at it, the faster it will go. It's not like SLI where the cores have to wait for each other to display the next frame.

TOPEC 04-05-2013 09:53 AM

well time to go to the ncix warehouse sale:ilied:

EmperorIS 04-05-2013 09:54 AM

Too much calculation in the power efficiency to output... imagine you fry your video card gonna cost you more than you can mine

SkinnyPupp 04-05-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8204514)
Too much calculation in the power efficiency to output... imagine you fry your video card gonna cost you more than you can mine

wat

JaPoola 04-05-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8204514)

You can't fry your video card n00b, it has safeguards against that.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-05-2013 11:21 AM

where can i use litecoin?

are there exchanges? like mtgox

yogenfruz 04-05-2013 11:32 AM

This is something that interests me, but as a student, I don't really have the money to spend on a half decent computer to set aside for mining, and I'm willing to bet it'd fry my laptop...

I also don't understand the process 100%. It seems to me, your computer solves complex algorithms through some method, and is "rewarded" with say, a fraction of one LTC? Which can then be traded for real money?

EmperorIS 04-05-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaPoola (Post 8204533)
You can't fry your video card n00b, it has safeguards against that.

you are stressing your video card 24/7 mining particularly if you overclock them and dont provide ample cooling

your chances of killing your card goes up lolsafeguard

JayEch 04-05-2013 11:56 AM

so how does one get started?

JaPoola 04-05-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8204594)
you are stressing your video card 24/7 mining particularly if you overclock them and dont provide ample cooling

your chances of killing your card goes up lolsafeguard

If you overclock and don't provide adequate cooling then that's your fault n00b.

Gerbs 04-05-2013 12:24 PM

Let's say i buy litecoin how do i save it. do i have like a e wallet or is it a code lol stupid question!

Boostaholic 04-05-2013 12:45 PM

how do you sell litecoins for bitcoins?

JaPoola 04-05-2013 01:05 PM

let me Google that for you.... wait.... NOT!

mos_skeeto 04-05-2013 01:13 PM

Because of the modified difficulty (bitcoin mining is a bit like gold mining) I don't see litecoin having massive spikes in value like bitcoin. (ex: $25 > $125 in a few months).

Boostaholic 04-05-2013 01:20 PM

Litecoin seem to be down

SoNaRWaVe 04-05-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8204472)
You can do some serious LTC mining with that. One benefit of LTC is that it uses less power too. Load up GUIMiner and see what you get. Use this page for preset recommendations.

theres no preset for gtx670 :okay: