REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2013/2014 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685584-official-2013-2014-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

Ronin 03-31-2014 04:32 PM

Despite that, like Ch28, I don't think anyone beats the Bruins this year. They're simply the class of the NHL and they're built for playoff hockey.

m3thods 03-31-2014 04:39 PM

lol Earl such a strong avatar.

While true about the lack of heart and determination lately from the Canucks, I don't think you could say they lacked it in their run-up to the cup final in 2011 (when you can argue they were at their talent peak). In 2009 and 2010, they were inexperienced. In 09, one bad clear from Mitchell and instead of taking a strangle-hold on the series they ended up fucking up. The next year? Chicago was the class of the league, and probably one of the deepest teams in recent memory (along with the 2011 Canucks). And in game 6, Luongo (God bless his Canuck soul) decided to basically hand the Hawks the victory after the Canucks had 2 late leads). 2011- they choked on a 3-0 series lead, but you can't go on to win OT and 2 more series after that and say they lacked heart and determination.

If you're talking about the years after their cup run, then I'll give that to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8447396)
Despite that, like Ch28, I don't think anyone beats the Bruins this year. They're simply the class of the NHL and they're built for playoff hockey.

I think they're the class of the East, but not the NHL. I'd actually put STL SJ and LAK above them. Chicago would be above them if their superstars weren't on the mend.

DanHibiki 03-31-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8447345)
Says the guy that has this under their username?

"Lomac owned my ass at least once"

http://i.imgur.com/n4BC8Gd.gif

it wasn't consensual.

gdoh 03-31-2014 05:36 PM

what channel is the game on? i can't find it on shaw

HonestTea 03-31-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdoh (Post 8447442)

http://shkompare.porlaputa.com/chaca...peg?1330533452

Harvey Specter 03-31-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/me...h_wtf_dude.gif

gdoh 03-31-2014 05:45 PM

i mean for tomorrow :pokerface:

XplicitLuder 03-31-2014 05:45 PM

brah, i didnt know today was Tuesday

spoon.ek9 03-31-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8447374)
I think with Miller now between the pipes it'll be between SJ and STL. SJ looks like it has the right mix of players, and Niemi can steal games left and right. STL has the team but I always questioned their goaltending. Now with a motivated Miller back there, they'll be very tough to beat in a very tough conference.

If Boston doesn't make it to the Finals again, it'll be because of catastrophic injury, or some other reason that points to them as the cause. No one in the east looks to be close. The only caveat I'll give is if Boston plays Montreal somewhere. For some reason it looks like Montreal has their number. It's mind-bottling considering the two rosters (especially with Montreal). But sometimes it just works out that way.

:suspicious:

spideyv2 03-31-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

bobbinka 03-31-2014 06:46 PM

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.10020...er,375x360.png

m3thods 03-31-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8447473)
:suspicious:

time to make you aware

GrapeDrink 04-01-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8447374)
I think with Miller now between the pipes it'll be between SJ and STL. SJ looks like it has the right mix of players, and Niemi can steal games left and right. STL has the team but I always questioned their goaltending. Now with a motivated Miller back there, they'll be very tough to beat in a very tough conference.

I think the Blues right now have the advantage of being in an easier division atm as odd as that sounds since their division is piling on the points but Chi right now is missing both Toews and Kane, while they both expected to be back for playoffs you have to wonder how banged up they really are. Colorado is not as good as their record would indicate + they lost Duchene for the first round, they are a better version of the Leafs right now in that they consistently get outshot and outchanced but winning with Varlamov being massive. Whereas you look at the pacific, sadly it looks like my Sharks will have to play the Kings in round 1, every advanced stat would indicate are 2 legit contenders because the Ducks are essentially the flipside of Colorado they consistently get outshot/outchanced but they scoring on 11% on their shots when the next highest is 8% so unless you buy Anaheim has the best shooters in the NHL they due for some terrible regression and imo the perfect candidate for a round 1 upset.

m3thods 04-01-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrapeDrink (Post 8447735)
I think the Blues right now have the advantage of being in an easier division atm as odd as that sounds since their division is piling on the points but Chi right now is missing both Toews and Kane, while they both expected to be back for playoffs you have to wonder how banged up they really are. Colorado is not as good as their record would indicate + they lost Duchene for the first round, they are a better version of the Leafs right now in that they consistently get outshot and outchanced but winning with Varlamov being massive. Whereas you look at the pacific, sadly it looks like my Sharks will have to play the Kings in round 1, every advanced stat would indicate are 2 legit contenders because the Ducks are essentially the flipside of Colorado they consistently get outshot/outchanced but they scoring on 11% on their shots when the next highest is 8% so unless you buy Anaheim has the best shooters in the NHL they due for some terrible regression and imo the perfect candidate for a round 1 upset.

While you make good points, all that says to me is that STL will have an easier time in the second round. One of Anaheim SJ has to play LAK (which could easily be the WCF) so one of those 3 teams will get banged up good. The second round is a reseed, so if STL gets Dallas or Phoenix, they should theoretically be in great shape for the second round against the likely Pacific Division opponent they have to face.

The argument you're making is broken by the Vancouver Canucks in 2011. They didn't win the cup (yes we know), but they led the league in every stat to what you could argue was 40 games against non-playoff teams in the NW division and eventually made the final. Being in an easier division helps but it doesn't seem to correlate to better/worse playoff-run chances. You need to look at their roster top to bottom, and STL with Miller is probably the deepest team in the league on paper (LAK, Boston and SJ are pretty damn close though).

Obviously, this is all speculation. But if I were to base predictions on anything, it'd be the names on the roster. It's not like STL is underperforming also- they are near the top of the league, with what you can argue is a really deep roster. They're built for a long run now and will likely get close if not win it all in the next few years.

GrapeDrink 04-01-2014 10:41 AM

actually, the 2nd round is not reseeded, it stays within Div so they would get Chi/Col which was the comment I was trying to make about them having an advantage being in imo the easier division. I didn't mean they were piling on points on a shitty division lol, I think the Blues are definitely in that top tier mix. But if you look at their path they are most likely going to run through pho/minny in round 1 and then get a banged up Chicago.

Gh0stRider 04-01-2014 11:04 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkKHHpCCQAAI9g7.jpg

Derek_N84 04-01-2014 03:08 PM

^ hit me right in the feels :QQ::okay:

m3thods 04-01-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrapeDrink (Post 8447885)
actually, the 2nd round is not reseeded, it stays within Div so they would get Chi/Col which was the comment I was trying to make about them having an advantage being in imo the easier division. I didn't mean they were piling on points on a shitty division lol, I think the Blues are definitely in that top tier mix. But if you look at their path they are most likely going to run through pho/minny in round 1 and then get a banged up Chicago.

Ok then I was misunderstanding you because I thought you were saying that STL doesn't have a good chance at making the finals because of the division they're in. My bad.

Jmac 04-01-2014 06:11 PM

http://i.imgur.com/q9R6vdk.jpg

gdoh 04-01-2014 06:16 PM

is stubhub a reliable site to buy tickets?? im looking for two tickets on April 7

figure.09 04-01-2014 06:17 PM

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

CRS 04-01-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdoh (Post 8448091)
is stubhub a reliable site to buy tickets?? im looking for two tickets on April 7

Yes

figure.09 04-01-2014 06:37 PM

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

XplicitLuder 04-01-2014 06:38 PM

I come to see your fuuuu :troll:
Posted via RS Mobile

slicrick 04-01-2014 06:44 PM

did the TSN feed just switch to MSG?

Tortorella looked disgusted after the NY's PPG, Lundqvist making a few big saves