REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707593-tesla-model-3-first-look-coming-march-31-pressures-mount.html)

Special K 03-29-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8895359)
what would you guys do?

Any financing or lease options?

whitev70r 03-29-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8895477)
After pricing everything out is was like $64k + tax. :okay:. At that point i'd consider a used model S with 8 year unlimited mile warranty.

Me too ... like this maybe:

2014 Tesla Model S S85 - $61K
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/...544020005.html

Or if an S 60 will do, 2014 Tesla S60 $44K
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...543898953.html

Manic! 03-30-2018 12:03 AM

Tesla recall 123,000 vehicles

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/29/...odel-s-recall/

twitchyzero 03-31-2018 05:48 PM

awful week (and quarter) for Tesla
they're supposed to be churning out 3,000 Model 3's a week by now...bahaha right
the apple engineer who died apparently complained to Tesla about a malfunctioning in a previous servicing

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4601302.152253507...pg?imwidth=720
Tesla says vehicle in deadly California crash was on autopilot | CBC News

underscore 03-31-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8895857)
the apple engineer who died apparently complained to Tesla about a malfunctioning in a previous servicing

It can't have been that bad if he trusted the vehicle to b on autopilot and took his hands off the wheel even though you aren't supposed to.

twitchyzero 04-01-2018 12:21 AM

do you think anyone before hearing of all these more recent accidents will actually keep their hands on the wheel when it's under auto-pilot?

I think if you've gone through dozens of trips without issues you'll just naturally put your guard down

some are even napping from point A to B

I think the stats will still support that AI is less accident-prone than humans, but we're going to have tons of growing pain before we work out the kinks

anyways for some reason I assumed aluminum was more durable than steel...didn't expect to sheer off like in the above photo

turbomelon 04-01-2018 12:52 AM

The complaints he had were about that specific barrier and autopilot's behavior around it. It just seems a little convenient that Tesla always seems/claims to have data that exonerates them.

westopher 04-01-2018 09:24 AM

I don't think it should even be legal for them to offer the autopilot feature if you are supposed to keep control of the vehicle anyways. Its clearly not something even the manufacturer, full of engineers believes it. Why put that in the hands of an average human who probably lacks understanding of the severity of the consequences.

Lomac 04-01-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8895920)
I don't think it should even be legal for them to offer the autopilot feature if you are supposed to keep control of the vehicle anyways. Its clearly not something even the manufacturer, full of engineers believes it. Why put that in the hands of an average human who probably lacks understanding of the severity of the consequences.

Kinda agree. I've driven a few different cars with their own variant of Autopilot and they all require hands-on interaction. They also don't' work very well if the roads you're on aren't clearly marked or if it's raining at night. Just seems silly to have this as an option without full automation controlling it.

underscore 04-02-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbomelon (Post 8895904)
The complaints he had were about that specific barrier and autopilot's behavior around it.

Yet he still used the autopilot while driving past it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8895920)
I don't think it should even be legal for them to offer the autopilot feature if you are supposed to keep control of the vehicle anyways.

I can't figure out what the point of it is supposed to be. To use it safely you need to be paying even more attention than if you were driving normally, and if you don't properly pay attention you're just going to have a worse accident than if you were driving normally since you're now thrown into an emergency with no idea what is going on. Where is the benefit?

If they are going to allow this to be legal then there should be a big light on the roof like a taxi that comes on when it's on autopilot so I can stay the fuck away from it. When people have become so bad at not staring at a phone while driving that they had to make new laws around it then I highly doubt many people will be using autopilot correctly.

HonestTea 04-02-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8896097)
Yet he still used the autopilot while driving past it.

I can't figure out what the point of it is supposed to be. To use it safely you need to be paying even more attention than if you were driving normally, and if you don't properly pay attention you're just going to have a worse accident than if you were driving normally since you're now thrown into an emergency with no idea what is going on. Where is the benefit?

If they are going to allow this to be legal then there should be a big light on the roof like a taxi that comes on when it's on autopilot so I can stay the fuck away from it. When people have become so bad at not staring at a phone while driving that they had to make new laws around it then I highly doubt many people will be using autopilot correctly.

+1

freakshow 04-02-2018 01:33 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would rather be driving next to a bunch of cars on auto-pilot than be between a sea of c-lais

snowball 04-02-2018 01:42 PM

I'm not a fan of autopilot doing all the driving for you.

Adaptive cruise is probably the best invention so far for highways and perfecting assist with highway merging would be the next step before autonomous programming.

Manic! 04-02-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball (Post 8896110)
I'm not a fan of autopilot doing all the driving for you.

Just think of all the possibility's. Imagine on a hot day being able to crack a cold one in a car or having your car drive at night while you sleep so you arrive to you destination refreshed and ready to go. Think about parting in a RV while it drives to Vegas

Self driving cars are going to be awesome!!!

freakshow 04-03-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8896117)
Just think of all the possibility's.

I can't wait for the day that i'm sitting on my couch, and from my phone, I tell my car to open the garage, go to mcdonalds, get me a 20pc, and come back

gilly 04-03-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8896255)
I can't wait for the day that i'm sitting on my couch, and from my phone, I tell my car to open the garage, go to mcdonalds, get me a 20pc, and come back

"Skip the dishes" app lol.

Manic! 04-04-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8896255)

What McDonald's won't have drone delivery?

bomberR17 04-04-2018 12:24 PM

Some investors were also speculating Tesla going to start a carpool/Uber like service where you can send your car out to earn a few bucks. Not a bad idea actually. Go to work, send your car out to make some money, profit. Thats probably why everything is electronic so the passengers can't access personal stuff and the glove box.

twitchyzero 04-04-2018 08:12 PM

^ can't wait for strangers to have orgies in my car

Mr.Money 04-04-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8895857)
awful week (and quarter) for Tesla
they're supposed to be churning out 3,000 Model 3's a week by now...bahaha right

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4601302.1522535077!/cpImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/tesla-crash.jpg?imwidth=720[/IMG]
Tesla says vehicle in deadly California crash was on autopilot | CBC News

i like how they're hiding what speed he was going at before the crash,with all those batterys onboard and a little fire & heat,holy shit has that car fell to pieces in a crash...but how Fast was he going???...90km?...70?..

thumper 04-18-2018 06:55 PM

twitchyzero 04-18-2018 06:58 PM

the article I read yesterday said it's to fix bottlenecks for production ramps
they did something similar in Feb

thumper 04-18-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8898914)
the article I read yesterday said it's to fix bottlenecks for production ramps
they did something similar in Feb

correct

kunoman1 04-18-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberR17 (Post 8896462)
Some investors were also speculating Tesla going to start a carpool/Uber like service where you can send your car out to earn a few bucks. Not a bad idea actually. Go to work, send your car out to make some money, profit. Thats probably why everything is electronic so the passengers can't access personal stuff and the glove box.

Not really speculation - quite a few car companies are interested in providing car services rather than merely acting as manufacturers. Doing my masters degree right now in planning and most of the profs believe this to be the future of mobility (although the timeframe of deployment is still up in the air).

twitchyzero 05-10-2018 10:11 PM

are these in Vancouver yet?
saw one in-person south of the border
can't believe beta testers of the DJI Corolla have to fork out 50k+