REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707593-tesla-model-3-first-look-coming-march-31-pressures-mount.html)

68style 04-03-2016 06:25 AM

I would hope it's capable, Ford was selling 400,000+ Mustangs a year in the 60's with no robots and nothing resembling lean efficiency in place. Considering the lack of drivetrain parts it's also much less complicated to put together than a conventional car.

thumper 04-03-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8743654)
I would hope it's capable, Ford was selling 400,000+ Mustangs a year in the 60's with no robots and nothing resembling lean efficiency in place. Considering the lack of drivetrain parts it's also much less complicated to put together than a conventional car.

but back in those days, ford was doing everything in house, even making their own steel, not getting parts from outsourcing or outside suppliers, and they had more than one assembly plant going at the same time. i don't know how many manufacturing plants tesla has (i know they have one in europe making the model s that is running at capacity), and they also have to make versions for overseas markets as well.

68style 04-03-2016 07:06 AM

If they're using TPS it shouldn't be a problem though. Their biggest restriction is the physical size of the factory and having enough money to make it happen... Which, considering they just "borrowed" $253million and counting interest free for the next 1.5 years (Model3 deposits), should make things a lot easier.

asian_XL 04-03-2016 07:28 AM

I wonder how much the 253K+ reservation has shocked the auto industry...just like when Apple introduced iphone 4, people went crazy, and every company jumped onto their boat to make something similar.

Toyota, GM, BMW, and Nissan Management would have been calling meetings like crazy these days.

I am the only person in the family who paid the reservation, the day it was announced I got 10+ message from my uncles and cousins asking whether they should wait or reserve one immediately. The actual numbers could be doubling or tripling.

Nlkko 04-03-2016 08:34 AM

These bozos probably still trying to figure how to make that same car and only charge 35k or less and have infrastructure in place to support. They havent innovated anything for years, still making the same old ICE vehicles and boring ass Prius with the shitiest designs year over year saved for BMW.

But Elon is also bat shit crazy, known to bet the farm on his work. High risk high reward. Wonder if they can do half a mil or even a mil reservation by next year.

twitchyzero 04-03-2016 08:37 AM

Is it a proprietary plug at Tesla charging stations? or does the system just not recognize non-Teslas and won't allow charge? I hope the other companies that jump in at the EV hype won't create proprietary stations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8743598)
Elon said in the key note they hope to begin production late 2017. So likely early 2018 for delivery.

yeah for employees/current owners
then next priority is US west coast...no word on Canada. If you didn't line-up or reserve the eve of the announcement I'd hazard a guess you won't get delivery until H2 2019. Don't forget that the X despite being a different beast was delayed twice by almost 2 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8743658)
i don't know how many manufacturing plants tesla has (i know they have one in europe making the model s that is running at capacity), and they also have to make versions for overseas markets as well.

I don't think there's any in Europe? just the one in Fremont and the gigafactory in Nevada that's not even fully operational yet. I think there's talks about opening another gigafactory in Japan

thumper 04-03-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8743671)

I don't think there's any in Europe? just the one in Fremont and the gigafactory in Nevada that's not even fully operational yet. I think there's talks about opening another gigafactory in Japan

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/bl...rg-netherlands

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-...ropean-factory

http://assets.bwbx.io/images/iD_4mBsv_o2U/v1/-1x-1.jpg

thumper 04-03-2016 09:28 AM

here's something i didn't know. amsterdam taxi service uses the tesla model s in their fleet... 167 of them :eek: :

https://chargedevs.com/wp-content/up...ort-Teslas.jpg

Home - Taxi Electric

tiger_handheld 04-03-2016 11:36 AM

I have the biggest hard on for Tesla, but to those who made reservations:

1- is it $35,000 CAD or USD?
2- have you read this: Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevrolet Bolt: Battle of the long-range EVs - thoughts?

Nlkko 04-03-2016 11:58 AM

^ The only thing that would go against the Model 3 is possible delay in delivery. Dude has design for the Bolt. Really? It looks like every other ugly hybrid/EV.

The Superchargers are proprietary in the sense that it currently locks to Tesla owners only. If they decide to share it (very likely) then they will just do a software unlock. It's free for Tesla owners so they'll probably have to charge something/work out or deal with other car manufacturers.

Most of the charging is done at home anyways so it's not like it's a huge cost to them.

asian_XL 04-03-2016 06:53 PM

there is no way the Bolt is going to win the battle, only advantage GM has is the production line and ready to be delivered in 2017, but with all the Model 3 publicity people are ready to wait.

Will BMW make something similar? I guess they continue the i-B$, then make all their series with the e-option (plug in hybrid)
Will Toyota make something similar? Good luck with the Prius design
Will Nissan and VW make something similar? they are the best Tesla rivals, the e-golf, e-up, Renault Zoe, Leaf. Without something new this year, their market share will definitely get swallowed in 2017.

EDIT: 276K by end of Sat...crazy

MG1 04-03-2016 07:36 PM

god, it's going to be a long wait for some people. Good thing you can get your money back. I'll wait until first wave of problems sort themselves out.

LP700-4 04-03-2016 07:44 PM

So its 35k usd base price. They mentioned average optioned car will be 42k usd.

Canadians are paying 46-55k cad?(who knows what exchange will be when it finally out)

Is it worth for an electric car? Will fuel costs saved be worth it?

SkinnyPupp 04-03-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8743843)

Will fuel costs saved be worth it?

As if that's the only reason to go electric...

68style 04-03-2016 11:36 PM

It's kind of a "hide the weenie" game for electric cars... They still use lots of fossil fuels in production (plastics, etc) and electricity isn't made for free especially in California they buy it from BC... And lithium batteries are absolute toxic nightmares.... I think the go green people are a little out to lunch nevermind the people trying to "save money on gas" by spending $55k+ on a new vehicle.

Nlkko 04-03-2016 11:45 PM

^ I would invite you to study more about EVs. This is a post Elon post 10 years ago that explains some of the environmental effects of EVs:

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/sec...een-you-and-me

There is not a single doubt it is greener than internal combustion engine cars. I will still keep my V8 luxury car because it's a toy and because I can. But for daily driver, I will drive a Tesla any days.

It is not 100% clean, yet. But it's a step in the right direction.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-04-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8743654)

the computer and battery both probably take more effort in parts, design, and materials and putting together than a whole car from the 60's haha...

Hehe 04-04-2016 01:00 AM

My wife put down a deposit for delivery in CA, she was the 25th person for that location according to sales. I think given the price, model 3 is great for people who commute and already have 2 cars (with the Tesla 3 replacing one of the ICE)

In my wife's case, she does about 50~70miles per day between work, pick up kid and (sometimes) family, and other stuff like groceries.

A Tesla 3 would be enough for her to cover 2-3 days of driving (assuming she forgets) and the space is more than plenty for groceries and a kid.

We are not giving up our ICE car, so that would stay for anything longer than the ~200miles range roundtrip.

And assuming she can get it fairly quickly, she might still qualify for about 10k USD in incentives from both fed and state gov. We see it as a great deal.

If the Tesla 3 goes well, we might get rid of ICE cars all together and just stick to rentals if we need to take a road trip.

godwin 04-04-2016 04:57 AM

Tesla's plugs are proprietary. Besides even if the plug is compatible, they can lock out others because there is also a software standard. They haven't done so yet, but it is an option available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8743671)
Is it a proprietary plug at Tesla charging stations? or does the system just not recognize non-Teslas and won't allow charge? I hope the other companies that jump in at the EV hype won't create proprietary stations.

yeah for employees/current owners
then next priority is US west coast...no word on Canada. If you didn't line-up or reserve the eve of the announcement I'd hazard a guess you won't get delivery until H2 2019. Don't forget that the X despite being a different beast was delayed twice by almost 2 years

thumper 04-04-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8743664)
I wonder how much the 253K+ reservation has shocked the auto industry...just like when Apple introduced iphone 4, people went crazy, and every company jumped onto their boat to make something similar.

Toyota, GM, BMW, and Nissan Management would have been calling meetings like crazy these days.

I am the only person in the family who paid the reservation, the day it was announced I got 10+ message from my uncles and cousins asking whether they should wait or reserve one immediately. The actual numbers could be doubling or tripling.

can i ask you how much is the cost of electricity in HK? are there charging stations everywhere, or do you have to do it at home? is electricity generation from coal or nuclear power plant?

asian_XL 04-04-2016 07:52 AM

HK$1.1 per kilowatt hr = CAD18cents? it is double more expensive than in Canada.

there are 10 locations with superchargers in the city (the highest density in the world as per Musk said), and all of them require you to pay for the parking first in order to get your car charged up.

HK$8/hr to park ($1.4cad) x 1hr charging time VS. HK$40~50 ($7cad) charging it at home.

I believe it is coal, but who cares when the pollution from China is much worse

thumper 04-04-2016 11:27 AM

better bring a long extension cord.

Electric car boom drives surge in charging-station demand - Technology & Science - CBC News

SkinnyPupp 04-04-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8743906)
It's kind of a "hide the weenie" game for electric cars... They still use lots of fossil fuels in production (plastics, etc) and electricity isn't made for free especially in California they buy it from BC... And lithium batteries are absolute toxic nightmares.... I think the go green people are a little out to lunch nevermind the people trying to "save money on gas" by spending $55k+ on a new vehicle.

Ah, the old "petrol head" argument against EV from 15 years ago

SkinnyPupp 04-04-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8743968)
HK$1.1 per kilowatt hr = CAD18cents? it is double more expensive than in Canada.

there are 10 locations with superchargers in the city (the highest density in the world as per Musk said), and all of them require you to pay for the parking first in order to get your car charged up.

HK$8/hr to park ($1.4cad) x 1hr charging time VS. HK$40~50 ($7cad) charging it at home.

I believe it is coal, but who cares when the pollution from China is much worse

HK uses coal, gas, and diesel generators and also buys nuclear power from China

Great68 04-04-2016 08:19 PM

I would only buy an EV like the Model S or 3 if I had the capability to charge at home overnight.

Waiting 20+ minutes at a "charge station" is still unacceptable to me.