REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707593-tesla-model-3-first-look-coming-march-31-pressures-mount.html)

thumper 04-05-2016 11:47 AM

keep in mind, on the other side of the world... BYD and their plug-in hybrids dominate the chinese market, and does have some sort of market presence in europe.

(plug-in hybrid taxi in spain... isn't that an old toyota corolla?):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._F3DM_2447.JPGhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._F3DM_2438.JPG

BYD Expects Its Electric Car Sales To Triple This Year

Quote:

Bloomberg reports that BYD could triple its plug-in electric car sales in China this year.

A market that Bloomberg can’t help but note is apparently “coveted by Tesla“, and that for 2016 has withdrawn a target of 10,000 sales moving back to 5,000. A number that BYD can eat up in less than a month.

In 2015, BYD sold some 58,000 plug-in cars (e5, e6, Qin, Tang, etc.) and the company expects that this year it could increase to 150,000 – a number similar to the total amount of plug-ins that will be sold in the US in 2016.

Through the end of February, BYD was still just less than 10,000 plug-ins sold, so 140,000 more to go in the next 10 months. (Of note: The first quarter in China is notoriously slow, last year about 1/3rd of Q4 volumes)

“BYD may sell as many as 150,000 new-energy vehicles this year, compared with the 58,000 it delivered in 2015, Chairman Wang Chuanfu said at a briefing in Hong Kong. The company surged the most in more than five months in intraday trading in Hong Kong after predicting first-quarter profit may rise more than 50 percent from a year earlier.”

Big bump for BYD is nearly sevenfold increase in net income in 2015 compared to 2014.

“BYD, which counts Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. as a shareholder, reported full-year net income rose almost sevenfold to 2.82 billion yuan ($433 million) from a year earlier.”

they are not sexy, possibly death traps, but their products are affordable for the unwashed masses won't don't care about how many g's it can pull on the skidpad or "ludicrous speed"...

but if they start really going full EV/zero emissions and still be low cost....

http://www.byd.com/la/auto/e6.html

http://cleantechnica.com/files/2014/...e6-Beijing.jpg

we might all be in these things, and hopefully won't go up in flames like those counterfeit hoverboards :o

jasonturbo 04-05-2016 11:47 AM

Sure it might only cost xx$ for a full charge now, ask yourself what energy costs will look like once 5% of the vehicles on the road are EV, and then 10% etc etc

Right now, today, is probably the best time possible to own an EV, electricity costs are only going up, and a strong jump in demand will of course result in a strong increase in price. The additional demand for electricity will affect not just your utility bill but will also impact the cost of all goods and services. Interesting to wonder how the cost of electricity at supercharger stations may eventually mimic the peaks and valleys of conventional ICE fuels.

I'm all for the EV's though, if I did any commuting I would have one already.

I do wonder though, is the EV basically the DVD video of transportation, will it be a 5-10 year period before blue ray (hydrogen) inevitably takes over.

thumper 04-05-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8744438)

I do wonder though, is the EV basically the DVD video of transportation, will it be a 5-10 year period before blue ray (hydrogen) inevitably takes over.

or we be flyin' (hopefully):

https://trcs.wikispaces.com/file/vie...54/23719_w.jpg

scoobyej20 04-05-2016 05:07 PM

I think battery tech will dramatically advance in the next 10-20 years.

Charging times will be significantly faster, cost of battery will decrease.

Range anxiety will be a thing of the past, charging stations will be everywhere. Inductive charging will be the standard for all EV cars.

check out this video from Nissan.

Quote:

Sure it might only cost xx$ for a full charge now, ask yourself what energy costs will look like once 5% of the vehicles on the road are EV, and then 10% etc etc

Right now, today, is probably the best time possible to own an EV, electricity costs are only going up, and a strong jump in demand will of course result in a strong increase in price. The additional demand for electricity will affect not just your utility bill but will also impact the cost of all goods and services. Interesting to wonder how the cost of electricity at supercharger stations may eventually mimic the peaks and valleys of conventional ICE fuels.

I'm all for the EV's though, if I did any commuting I would have one already.

scoobyej20 04-05-2016 05:31 PM

Nice video of Tesla Model S being put together.

from sheet metal to finished product.

Hondaracer 04-05-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8744430)
or who knows, maybe Tesla will just keep dominating the EV market

They are too far behind with their supply route already imo

like i said, it's more likely they provide other major manufacturers with batteries down the road than they become one of the big 3/4 auto makers.

asian_XL 04-06-2016 03:27 AM

BYD EV is a massive fail. We have 30 something BYD EV taxi in HK and taxi drivers are regretting as the battery isnt keeping the charge after a year. Some taxi claimed it needed to be recharged every 2 hrs in city, not practical and efficient as advertised.

Timpo 04-06-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8744551)
They are too far behind with their supply route already imo

like i said, it's more likely they provide other major manufacturers with batteries down the road than they become one of the big 3/4 auto makers.

Does Toyota still own Tesla?

I think Toyota bought Tesla a while ago in hopes to get Tesla technology for Toyota hybrids.

Nlkko 04-06-2016 12:54 PM

What do you mean own. It's a public company still, nobody bought it. Majority of shares are owned by institutions. Toyota might have bought a small stake (and reportedly sold it) in the past. It never own Tesla.

ancient_510 04-06-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Interesting to wonder how the cost of electricity at supercharger stations may eventually mimic the peaks and valleys of conventional ICE fuels.

It won't in BC unless the current laws change.
British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority Electric Tariff

If a Customer wishes to sell Electricity which the Customer has purchased from BC Hydro to a tenant of that Customer on the same Premises on a metered basis, then the Customer shall agree that the selling price for such Electricity shall not exceed the price which BC Hydro would have charged had that tenant been a Customer of BC Hydro.

That means the rate can't fluctuate regularly because what BC Hydro charges is regulated by the BC Utilities Commission. Nor can the EV charger owner make a profit from selling electricity.

tiger_handheld 04-06-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8744762)
It won't in BC unless the current laws change.
British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority Electric Tariff

If a Customer wishes to sell Electricity which the Customer has purchased from BC Hydro to a tenant of that Customer on the same Premises on a metered basis, then the Customer shall agree that the selling price for such Electricity shall not exceed the price which BC Hydro would have charged had that tenant been a Customer of BC Hydro.

That means the rate can't fluctuate regularly because what BC Hydro charges is regulated by the BC Utilities Commission. Nor can the EV charger owner make a profit from selling electricity.

That sounds nice in theory...

SkinnyPupp 04-07-2016 01:31 AM

They can't charge for electricity but they can charge for the parking space to attain the electricity!

scoobyej20 04-07-2016 04:08 AM

here Timpo.

Why the Tesla-Toyota Partnership Short-Circuited - Bloomberg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8744754)
Does Toyota still own Tesla?

I think Toyota bought Tesla a while ago in hopes to get Tesla technology for Toyota hybrids.

asian_XL 04-07-2016 07:03 AM

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/the..._medium=social

Quote:

We’ve now received more than 325,000 reservations, which corresponds to about $14 billion in implied future sales, making this the single biggest one-week launch of any product ever.

thumper 04-07-2016 07:25 AM

yray 04-07-2016 07:25 AM

Inb4 Kickstarter F up

twitchyzero 04-07-2016 07:51 AM

that's a lie...harry potter books sold 15M day one :derp:

Nlkko 04-07-2016 08:36 AM

300k + reservation now. Probably hit a mil by end of next year. Elon can already get a capital loan worth 14 billion based on that 300k list, based entirely on promises without having to give up equities. They are geniuses.

ancient_510 04-07-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8744950)
They can't charge for electricity but they can charge for the parking space to attain the electricity!

This. Exactly.

There is nothing stopping a lot owner from having free unserviced spots and paid EV charging spots.

Nor is there anything stopping them from having two prices, one for unserviced and the other for EV charging availability.

The only thing that cannot happen (with BC's current laws) for "transient stays" (ie. only stopping in for a quick charge and then moving on) is billing per kWh consumed by your car charging.

Harvey Specter 04-07-2016 12:23 PM

It kinda reminds of a smaller Panamera...

tiger_handheld 04-07-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8744999)
300k + reservation now. Probably hit a mil by end of next year. Elon can already get a capital loan worth 14 billion based on that 300k list, based entirely on promises without having to give up equities. They are geniuses.

you realize the $1000 deposits are refundable right? No bank is ever going to fund a loan based on refundable deposits. I bet Tesla knows this too...
It's like when FB went IPO, everyone and their friken grandma bought in... even on this thread we had couple of people post up their "confirmed orders" screenshot.... lets see in 2 years how many average joes will be driving a C$60,000 car excluding taxes, when people are already bitching about a place to live...

Nlkko 04-07-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8745247)
you realize the $1000 deposits are refundable right? No bank is ever going to fund a loan based on refundable deposits. I bet Tesla knows this too...
It's like when FB went IPO, everyone and their friken grandma bought in... even on this thread we had couple of people post up their "confirmed orders" screenshot.... lets see in 2 years how many average joes will be driving a C$60,000 car excluding taxes, when people are already bitching about a place to live...

Actually you can take that order book/list to banks and PE firms and get capital loan.... That's a fact I would invite you to research and confirm it yourself. This is why this guy (Elon Musk) PR skill is next level. People raving about Steve Jobs and his marketing prowess, Elon is up there with him and he doesn't even speak fluent English.

Your argument about people withdrawing their orders based on these assumptions:
1. They can't afford RE.
2. They don't own any RE already.
3. They can't afford a 35k USD car.
4. They are the average Joes.

And to your comment on FB. FB is presently one of the best growth prospects in the Tech sector. Any portfolio manager don't have FB deserve to get fired. It was a great prospect when it IPO, it is a great prospect now.

tiger_handheld 04-08-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8745284)
Actually you can take that order book/list to banks and PE firms and get capital loan.... That's a fact I would invite you to research and confirm it yourself. This is why this guy (Elon Musk) PR skill is next level. People raving about Steve Jobs and his marketing prowess, Elon is up there with him and he doesn't even speak fluent English.

Your argument about people withdrawing their orders based on these assumptions:
1. They can't afford RE.
2. They don't own any RE already.
3. They can't afford a 35k USD car.
4. They are the average Joes.

And to your comment on FB. FB is presently one of the best growth prospects in the Tech sector. Any portfolio manager don't have FB deserve to get fired. It was a great prospect when it IPO, it is a great prospect now.

the 3 was suppose to be a mass market car..for the average joe. In the US it makes sense, 35k car, less at least 7k in rebates from Fed/State programs and now you are at Honda Civic levels. That's pretty affordable... in the US.

But what about globally? what about in Canada? what about in GVRD? A $60,000 car is only affordable to part of the population... A true mass market car is like a Honda Civic (what do they start at 20-25k for base model?)...As much as I love Tesla, it's a lot of hype right now... but only time will tell.

And this is no different from FB because, when it IPO'ed there was so much hype, then a week or so later, it tanked below IPO and it took several weeks/months to stabilize. When people realize they have given Elon a 2 year interest free loan for $1000usd or use it to fund a trip to Disney with the kids.... minds will change. Unless of course you are retired after selling your South Van home for 2mil above asking.

And to your point on getting loans, maybe they will get 25% of the value of the PO, but definitely no where close to say 80-100%.

Digitalis 04-08-2016 12:36 PM

Your really dating yourself with the civic comment as the common car as they have climbed the ladder and are far from it.
Today i'd say your looking more at american/korean base cars at 15k

asian_XL 04-09-2016 11:01 PM

Some say...the Chinese BYD has higher potential to be the king of EV.

http://arabitec.com/wp-content/uploa...16-777x365.jpg
http://www.ecars.bg/images/stories/2.../byd-ev300.jpg
http://images.hgmsites.net/med/byd-q...00551535_m.jpg

if you attempt to lower the car, the battery will hit the ground and burst into flame...it's call the EV300
http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-conte...a-6.jpg?756232