REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #426
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Anyone who thinks that Horgan wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if situation was reversed has to be kidding themselves....
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #427
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Anyone who thinks that Horgan wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if situation was reversed has to be kidding themselves....
And he would be criticized in exactly the same way if that were to happen.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #428
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Ugh... the Liberals needing a "leader" in case of a snap election... I cringe at the thought of her leading another Liberals election campaign, or worse yet, heading the provincial government for another term...

Surely if the Liberals replace her with someone else, they'd have a better chance at winning? IMO, there is a lot more negativity and animosity towards Christy Clark than there is towards the Libs.
I don't disagree at all with that at all, and really Christy Clark is burned with BC voters at this point

The issue is that if a sudden snap election comes up, and the Liberals haven't gone through the process to select a new leader yet, they will be force to appoint an interim candidate. That is arguably worse because nobody will know much about the person, and voters may not respond well to being offered a leader that will be swapped out shorty after.

The other thing is the Liberals might actually survive this confidence vote if even a single NDP/Green party member doesn't show up, or even if they come late and get locked out. It has happened in Canada where somebody shows up late and is left outside banging on the door to get in on a critical vote, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
At this point none of the parties have taken any kind of action that isn't perfectly in line with proper protocol. The only thing that really made me raise an eyebrow was when Horgan and Weaver were making a big fuss about the speaker and blaming Clark, I realize they are just trying to get the public to side with them, but this is how our government works and the should stop trying to twist it into an attack.

Last edited by MrPhreak; 06-15-2017 at 10:05 AM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #429

BUMP: Today is the big day

Varying outcomes may occur:

Expected: Liberal government falls on confidence vote and NDP-Green Government in Waiting will take power

Very Possible: Because of the narrow margin and use of speaker as a tie-breaker in all confidence votes, the government in waiting may be rejected and cause an immediate snap election

Could Happen: A green or NDP candidate might be late or absent, or be disgruntled with the coalition and decide to tank the deal by not voting, and the Liberal government will survive for a few more weeks

Least Likely To Occur: The Liberals have tweaked their platform to try and appeal to the NDP and Green more, in hopes they will support them in a minority position
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #430
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
nope today is not really the big day

non-confidence vote isn't expected til next week

today is just the start of all the yakkity yak
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
nope today is not really the big day

non-confidence vote isn't expected til next week

today is just the start of all the yakkity yak
My understanding this morning the Liberals will appoint a speaker, and then in the afternoon Clark will give her throne speech and there will be a vote of confidence.

B.C. legislature returns June 22, confidence vote on Clark's Liberals expected | CTV News

"....the government would introduce a throne speech, Telford said. There would be a reply from the Opposition, a debate and then a confidence vote."
Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
My understanding this morning the Liberals will appoint a speaker, and then in the afternoon Clark will give her throne speech and there will be a vote of confidence.

B.C. legislature returns June 22, confidence vote on Clark's Liberals expected | CTV News

"....the government would introduce a throne speech, Telford said. There would be a reply from the Opposition, a debate and then a confidence vote."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35308750/

Quote:
The likeliest scenario is that the NDP will propose an amendment to the Throne Speech, which would be a vote of confidence. That vote is expected on June 29.
Hate to disappoint ya...but politicin' ain't quick business.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #433

Quote:

Well, there isn't exactly a playbook on how this will go down, they are in uncharted waters. However, from everything I've heard it sounds like the vote is today unless the Liberals intentionally delay it (which Clark has been quoted several times now saying she won't).

I can't see this going on for another week either, so I would say it is happening today

UPDATE: CBC Twitter has reported that the speaker was voted in
Quote:
CBC News Alerts‏Verified account @CBCAlerts 20m20 minutes ago
BC Liberal voted in as Speaker of provincial legislature. Election of Steve Thomson sets stage for confidence vote.

Last edited by MrPhreak; 06-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #434
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Here is the new speaker, Kelowna-Mission MLA Steve Thomson:

Speaker named for the BC Legislature - NEWS 1130

Kelowna-Mission MLA Steve Thomson has been elected as speaker for the BC Legislative Assembly.

He was the only BC Liberal to step forward
Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #435

lol ok if you say so

I presented the sources. But based on what you're hearing we'll see. It's not that Clark will delay, it's despite all the hoopla surrounding today, there is still due process pointing to the actual vote being next week.
I wish the government did work as fast as you envisioned it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #436

Quote:

Sorry, you may be correct here, there is a 4 day debate on the throne speech

Quote:
The schedule for what happens next is mapped out in the legislature’s standing orders, which require a minimum of four days of debate on the Throne Speech. On the fourth day – next Thursday – the New Democrats are expected to propose an amendment declaring the legislature has lost confidence in the house.
Quote:
lol ok if you say so

I presented the sources. But based on what you're hearing we'll see.
I wish the government did work as fast as you envisioned it.
I was thinking there was another mechanism that would trigger the vote for some reason

4 days of debating a throne speech nobody wants to support, lol
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #437

guvment...lemme tell ya
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #438
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Horgan is such a fucking clown uhgg..

Whether christy is being sincere or not she is essentially bowing down to the demands of the other parties with the throne speech and enabling the legislature they wanted implemented

Then this morning Horgan on the radio saying they are ready to vote down all and every aspect of the speech because christy is not being sincere in her actions?

Jesus fuck..

Hope they keep voting everything down until another election is called and they lose that deciding riding.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #439

zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #440
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Whether christy is being sincere or not she is essentially bowing down to the demands of the other parties with the throne speech and enabling the legislature they wanted implemented

Then this morning Horgan on the radio saying they are ready to vote down all and every aspect of the speech because christy is not being sincere in her actions?

Jesus fuck..

Hope they keep voting everything down until another election is called and they lose that deciding riding.
You can't trust someone like her that flip flops so much, especially now that she is in a position of weakness.

"oh guys, I PROOOOOMISSSE to not be bad anymore. I swear it!"
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #441
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Jesus fuck..

Quite the drama queen ain't you

lol, failings of Horgan aside, given Crusty's track record, I would take any form of "sincerity" from her with a massive grain of salt.

What I see is Christy not being able to step down from what is blatant loss in confidence in her. If another election is called it'll be just as the fault of the liberals as it is of the ndp.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #442
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

who would be a suitable candidate to replace Christy Clark as party leader?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #443
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I didn't vote for a NDP Green collaboration... bunch of loosers
Only 1 party should win
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #444
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
I didn't vote for a NDP Green collaboration... bunch of loosers
Only 1 party should win
This is the dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

We don't have bipartisanship here in Canada.

How do you expect only 1 party to win when there are numerous parties out there representing varying percentages of people?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #445
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Quite the drama queen ain't you

lol, failings of Horgan aside, given Crusty's track record, I would take any form of "sincerity" from her with a massive grain of salt.

What I see is Christy not being able to step down from what is blatant loss in confidence in her. If another election is called it'll be just as the fault of the liberals as it is of the ndp.
There's a reason why the Liberals have continued to push hard for campaign donations. They received close to 1 MILLION DOLLARS in donations 3 days after the election

B.C. Liberals deposit close to $1 million in donations three days after election | Vancouver Sun

They definitely have a lot of campaign funding, but I think the general population would really sour on them, especially the ones that are riding the fence on voting Liberals, because of the wasted time and money.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
who would be a suitable candidate to replace Christy Clark as party leader?
If it was up to me to pick from the BCL pool, I'd probably pick Jas Johal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
You can't trust someone like her that flip flops so much, especially now that she is in a position of weakness.

"oh guys, I PROOOOOMISSSE to not be bad anymore. I swear it!"
I suppose that is one way to look at it

Another way would be to consider the fact that voters in BC are split nearly in half between values of the left and right parties. Really, the Liberals are the only party that seemed to have recognized that they need to try and represent ALL of British Colombians and extended an olive branch to try and bridge the gap. The NDP seems very happy to only represent their half with their hard-line party platforms.

That said, I don't think it was a good move on the Liberals to try and soften their stances. While it is actually somewhat honorable, but there is nothing to be gained by doing it, and it opens them up to exactly this type of opportunistic criticism. Horgan has a giant raging boner for the Premiers seat, and he already sold out his own party to get it, there was no point to this move.

It wouldn't matter to Horgan that they could potentially work collaboratively with the Liberals to achieve some of more important goals and form a more stable government... he is going to take the unstable mess he sold his soul to the Green's for, even if it is just for a few months, haha.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Horgan lose his shit on TV in the next few weeks, he is known to be a massive spaz

Last edited by MrPhreak; 06-22-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #447
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Was there not something more official looking they could have used? Might as well print it in comic sans.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #448

OK... last time I bumped the thread it was a bit pre-mature

Today is the day... so either an election will be called, or Horgan and Weaver will take power. The vote will take place late this afternoon, and then at around 5:30 or so, Clark will have to meet with the GG and discuss what happens next.

It could go either way, Clark isn't going to recommend a new election, but she also won't endorse the Green-NDP as a stable option. The GG also is only supposed to take direction from the premier, even if Horgan is banging on the window outside going "COME ON!!!"
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #449
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Let Horgan in while Chirsty can have her party vote against everything Horgan put forward. I am sure this will put Horgan on his toes because he barely have control of the house and I am sure some of the important stuff he wanted to get pass will get voted down. in a few months election time and Horgan is going to lose a lot of seats coz he can't pass any bills lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #450
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i suspect we will be having another election. i wonder if the liberals will be punished for this or people will be scared and go with the stable choice.

if the liberals manage to get a majority id have to wonder if theyll be trying to replace clark before the next election. theres no way theyll have a leadership contest if theres a minority/coalition since an election could happen at any time
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote