REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #251
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Well that was a lot closer than expected. I really hope the Liberals don't squeak out of this with a majority.
Advertisement
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #252
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Libs should just give in to some of the greens platform and move forward with them
Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #253
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Libs should just give in to some of the greens platform and move forward with them
Depends on how reasonable they are about it... with the NDP pandering to them as well, they might just use it as a means to go nuts and hijack the government

If that happens, the Liberals would have to sell out their voters just to stay in power.

Might be better to let the professional sell-outs at the NDP to eat that bullet, and then in 6 months when everything is going to compete shit, people who have never experienced an NDP government will get a taste of the damage they do whenever they get into power. After the inevitable break-up with the Greens, a snap election would mean the Liberals can come back in with a stronger majority

Really, if this ends up being a minority government... whomever sells out to the Greens to cling to power is going to get blamed for the resulting mess and voted out shortly down the road.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #254
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I wonder if any of the NDP party members would cross the floor to give the libs majority...?
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #255
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ committing political suicide
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #256

Last edited by zyzzjr; 05-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #257
God of Unce

So... do we still get Uber?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #258
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
So... do we still get Uber?
Probably collaborate with Greens for a Rickshaw version of it, much more environmentally sound.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #259
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

All Liberals need is 10 votes more than NDP in that Comox riding and we have a majority government.

How would this have looked if they used the new voting method? is there an accurate methodology to convert?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #260
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Was just listening to a university poli sci prof on News1130 saying that even with a razor thin 44 seat majority, the government can still get voted down in a vote of non-confidence in a number of ways. The NDP can insist that the Speaker be drawn from the Liberals pool, and then there'd be 1 less vote for the Libs. Or if anyone (from the Libs side) is away for whatever reason during a major piece of policy presentation (eg. budget?), the opposition can capitalize on the opportunity and call for mutiny of sorts.

Personally, I don't expect another election for at least 12+ months, or however long it takes for the 2nd budget to be tabled. Everyone involved generally try to play nice during the 1st year because they know voter fatigue can come back to bite them hard. So until the 2nd budget comes, I don't expect any of the opposition to flip table and try to overthrow the Libs.

Like many of you, my big question is -- how much is Crusty willing to bend over to applease Weaver? (Oh man... that conjures such a image in my head now... )
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #261
HELP ME PLS!!!

Sigh, I was hoping to finally be able to scroll through fb and see the important stuff -- dailyhive clickbait, cute panda videos, tasty recipes, etc, but nope, still will have to see election stuff for another 2 weeks ... and then again in 18 months when the gov't falls.

One can only hope that there will be a new liberal leader, that doesn't suck.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #262
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Like many of you, my big question is -- how much is Crusty willing to bend over to applease Weaver? (Oh man... that conjures such a image in my head now... )
Maybe she already has...

Spoiler!
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #263

BUMP:

Getting close to some final results for the election. So far, for all of the riding recounts, no change to the winner.

The only wild card is the Comox/Courtney riding, which was only separated by 9 votes in favour of the NDP, then after a formal recount that was completed yesterday, it was separated by 13 votes still in favour of the NDP. Then the counting of absentee ballots started (about 2000), and after just over half being counted the NDP are now up about 100.

So with ~900 left, we should find out at 10:00am tomorrow who will take the riding.

MORE: http://globalnews.ca/news/3472123/b-...urtenay-comox/

If you are not sure what this means, basically this riding is the difference between a Liberal majority, and a Liberal minority.

If the Liberals take the seat, then they don't really have to talk to the Greens anymore, and it will be business as usual for BC. However, if the NDP take this seat, the Liberals will need to get support from the Green party to remain in power.

This is speculative, but personally I think that if the NDP do take this seat, they will sell their soul to the Green party for the chance to hijack the BC parliament and form a coalition government with John Horgan as the Premier.

It is hard to say exactly what concessions they will make, but I would think a much heavier carbon tax than they originally proposed, major and unrelenting action will be implemented to curb real estate speculation, cancellation of all LNG projects and likely site-C dam, among other heavy handed taxes against resource based industries. The only major thing that the NDP and Greens disagree strongly on is bridge tolls... the NDP want them gone, the Greens want more to try and deter people from driving. IMO it isn't a sticking point for the Greens, and the NDP need that promise to stay in place to keep face with the voters.

Last edited by MrPhreak; 05-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #264

I don't know what's worse -- a Liberal or NDP minority government. The only thing I am certain of is that a Liberal majority would be worse than either of those.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #265
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
This is speculative, but personally I think that if the NDP do take this seat, they will sell their soul to the Green party for the chance to hijack the BC parliament and form a coalition government with John Horgan as the Premier.

It is hard to say exactly what concessions they will make, but I would think a much heavier carbon tax than they originally proposed, major and unrelenting action will be implemented to curb real estate speculation, cancellation of all LNG projects and likely site-C dam, among other heavy handed taxes against resource based industries. The only major thing that the NDP and Greens disagree strongly on is bridge tolls... the NDP want them gone, the Greens want more to try and deter people from driving. IMO it isn't a sticking point for the Greens, and the NDP need that promise to stay in place to keep face with the voters.
Reposting this from election night

Andrew Weaver said that the Greens will only form a coalition if 3 conditions are met:

1. Ban corporate donation
2. Increase education funding
3. Electoral reform with better representation

NDP has said they want 1 and 3 while Liberals don't (I'm not sure about 2)

Liberals said 2 was "doable" but Liberals have a history of fucking over nurses and teachers...so yeah.

Out of all three parties, it looks like Greens and NDP are most likely to form a coalition
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #266

Its official.

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Recount results, including absentee ballots, indicate Premier Christy Clark will hold on to her minority Liberal government.

In a statement, Clark says with 43 BC Liberal candidates elected as MLAs, and a plurality in the legislature, her party has a responsibility to move forward and form a government.

Minority Liberal government holds - NEWS 1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #267

It's a moot point that Crusty gets first crack at forming government, because the real kingmaker is Weaver and the Greens. I know Ch28 has brought up the point that the Greens seem more likely to form government with the NDP based on previous indications, but there is no telling what sort of concessions the Libs (or the NDP, for that matter) will make in order to stay in office.

So it really is a matter of ...
Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #268

Horgan had a huge shit eating smile and all but blurted out they had a deal with the Greens... basically he does't care what concessions he has to make, or how much green dick he has to suck, just as long as he gets into power.

Prepare your anus... it is going to be a rough 18 months
Old 05-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #269
My homepage has been set to RS

^
Id like to think with NPD's experience of running government and green actually being able to put some good ideas and plans together. They might work as a good team?

Imo. Stances from for both party were
NPD - Has shit plans and seems to fuck up a lot
Green - Inexperienced and not ready to run but had good ideas/plans
Could work for the better lololol.. hopefully
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #270
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
Horgan had a huge shit eating smile and all but blurted out they had a deal with the Greens... basically he does't care what concessions he has to make, or how much green dick he has to suck, just as long as he gets into power.

Prepare your anus... it is going to be a rough 18 months
That's not at all what he said.

He said he is negotiating with the Greens but that as of today, no deal has been made.

Weaver said that he is negotiating with both Libs and NDP and said next Wednesday is the deadline.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
That's not at all what he said.

He said he is negotiating with the Greens but that as of today, no deal has been made.

Weaver said that he is negotiating with both Libs and NDP and said next Wednesday is the deadline.
I kind of disagree, and I will explain why I think that. I watched the interview with Horgan a few times and the type of language he was using was suggesting that he had brokered a deal, but he wasn't allowed to confirm it.

In fact, the exact quote involved a very specific reference to having a "framework", which indicates they have a structured deal made already, but are still working on some of the details.

As we all pretty much know, what politicians say is often very different from what they do. Horgan however is not as disciplined in holding in his emotions though, so if you watched his body language, it is abundantly clear that he is practically bursting trying to hold in "I'm finally going to be premier!".

Weaver is a lot smarter than Horgan, and he is also much better at playing his cards close to his chest. Likely he has given an ultimatum to the Liberals already requiring them to agree to certain demands in exchange for support, and that is why he can offer such a short window for the decision. If the Liberals take it, he wins by making them commit political suicide... if they don't take it, the NDP has already caved to those demands and then some. It will be less popular with voters, but it is the path of least resistance.

Ch28 posted some of the demands that Weaver had made on election day (thanks for that), and I can guarantee that there is a much longer wish list that the NDP has already agreed to behind closed doors.

You of course can take what politicians are saying at face value, but judging from the politics being played right now in front of the camera, the deal between the NDP and Greens is already done.

Last edited by MrPhreak; 05-24-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #272

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
NDP and Greens to make an announcement at 2pm.

Who wants some faster ferries?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #273
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
buhbye Liberal Government
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #274
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
buhbye Liberal Government
Hello to economy crush 2017. It will be pretty funny if their term got cut short coz they did such a shitty job and Libeiral came in with a great majority in 12 months.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #275
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Yaaa!!! for $15 min wage!!!! It's actually going to be good for business. Shops that are not doing that well will close down and the shops that are doing well will take there customers. 2 gas stations has closed down in our area with one more competitor to go.