REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #301
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
B.C. Green Party agrees to support NDP in the legislature - British Columbia - CBC News

"The Greens and NDP said the agreement was a "Confidence and Supply Agreement," meaning a guarantee of support for any budgets or confidence motions."

... well, fuck. I thought the Greens would keep NDP spending in check.
Our government -- both federal and provincial -- can be brought down by a vote of no-confidence, and as a matter of procedure, rejecting the budget automatically results in a vote of no confidence. So as long as the Greens are playing ball with the NDP, they will support an NDP budget. Any "keeping the spending in check" will only happen in the backroom discussions.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #302
HELP ME PLS!!!

I see, that supports why this government isn't expected to last that long.

There are more details to come tomorrow, when their agreement gets ratified.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #303
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,700 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You might think the Liberals did fuck all for our province but business has been fantastic which has helped the BC economy grow into what it is today. Shit might really go south now with all this free stuff the NDP wants to give away. The money has to come from somewhere so get ready to get taxed to hell.
Yes but 'business booming' (which is subjective in its self, depending on who you ask) has come at a cost.

Your statement itself is conjecture - shit "might" go down with the free stuff the NDP wants to give away, which they haven't.

We're already being taxed to shit with no accountability, ie. carbon tax, ICBC general revenue, etc. I don't want to pay taxes as much as the other guy, but having 40% of my gas bill go to some general pool that the liberals have been dipping into for who knows what, I donno man.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #304
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,614 Times in 5,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
RS: Land of Political Science majors who minored in Economics
Isn't that every topic on every message forum in existence? Every single forum topic would just be empty as people sit and wait for someone with credentials to come post with no further discussion. Sounds like a blast.

In short, this is the very first useless post I've ever seen you make lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #305
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,303 Times in 1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Isn't that every topic on every message forum in existence? Every single forum topic would just be empty as people sit and wait for someone with credentials to come post with no further discussion. Sounds like a blast.

In short, this is the very first useless post I've ever seen you make lol
Looks like the SJW got triggered

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #306
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,404 Times in 554 Posts
Soooo... Do we get Uber or not?
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #307
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
correct me if im wrong. but dont the liberals still have the opportunity to form a government, regardless of the coalition, since they won the election? obviously the coalition being a majority opposition would vote no confidence at the first opportunity, halting the legislature, and send us back to another election?

if so, imagine the lols if the liberals do better in the next one and get a majority.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #308
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Liberals form a government, coalition votes down on it
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #309
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I see, that supports why this government isn't expected to last that long.

There are more details to come tomorrow, when their agreement gets ratified.
I wonder just how much Horgan had to sell out his voters to make this deal with the Green devil?

My guess is the NDP will keep the removal of the tolls, along with the 400$ buy off for renters. They need those two things to save face and the Greens will shrug at. As far as terminating both Site C and BC LNG; and additional funding for health care and education goes... they basically agree with the Greens. Weaver stated he wanted money out of politics, and the NDP were sort of on that train as well.

Finally, Weaver is hard up for electoral reform so he can get a bigger share of the pie... I don't think the NDP care that much because it would require a referendum, and most voters still want an MLA to represent them so it would fail on that anyway.

So where will all the hard bargaining compromises be?

Possible areas:
1) 30$ carbon tax to 60$ carbon tax
2) 30% Foreign Buyers Tax province wide
3) 10$/Day Daycare to 15$/day
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #310
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post

Possible areas:
1) 30$ carbon tax to 60$ carbon tax
2) 30% Foreign Buyers Tax province wide
3) 10$/Day Daycare to 15$/day
1. Affect everyone not just the rich. The cost will just be pass onto us. So the poor will end up paying more
2. Won't stop the market. More people moving to BC than the housing supply. Since with the tax increase if I was a developer I would totally slow down or even stop building up apartments/townhomes complex to decrease supply thus increasing the price I can sell them. Only hurts the locals. Besdie 30% doesn't hurt most foreign buyers anyways. There are always loopholes they can use. So it doesn't do a thing
3.Where is the money going to come from? Tax increase? Decrease service in other public service to support this?

If I was Crusty Clark I would totally let NDP and greens runs the gov for a few months. And gets any chance I can go vote down anything I can just to screw with up. Screw them up. NDP and Green won't play nice for long. They are going crack and split. When that happens do a vote again. People will see how bad/poor NPD and the Green is and will vote for the liberal since there is no other choice.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
Finally, Weaver is hard up for electoral reform so he can get a bigger share of the pie... I don't think the NDP care that much because it would require a referendum, and most voters still want an MLA to represent them so it would fail on that anyway.
I'm curious how this one would turn out too. Weaver wants to just do electoral reform -- as in, push it down on BC voters. Horgan is a bit sleazy here, saying he supports electoral reform, but needs to have it go through referendum first. The last 2 times BC had a referendum on it, we apparently voted it down. So somebody would have to give, and I suspect it's going to be Horgan / NDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
2. Won't stop the market. More people moving to BC than the housing supply. Since with the tax increase if I was a developer I would totally slow down or even stop building up apartments/townhomes complex to decrease supply thus increasing the price I can sell them. Only hurts the locals. Besdie 30% doesn't hurt most foreign buyers anyways. There are always loopholes they can use. So it doesn't do a thing
It won't stop the market, but it will certainly slow the market one way or another. Besides, the foreign investor tax was mostly affecting higher dollar homes, not the smaller apartments / townhomes that regular working class people are purchasing.

And the 30% foreign buyer tax is only 1 of the Greens housing affordability trick. The other was a speculator / flipper tax that applies on home sales when the purchase only happened in recent history (forgot how many years of prior purchase he said it would include -- I think it was something between 3 to 5?).
Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #312
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Saddling BC tax payers with 500 million dollar portman hwy 1 debt and the insane amounts of compounding interest as a result of scrapping tolls will certainly make us all richer!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #313
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Saddling BC tax payers with 500 million dollar portman hwy 1 debt and the insane amounts of compounding interest as a result of scrapping tolls will certainly make us all richer!
The crazy thing is that the Liberals have spent the last decade building up the population, but they haven't done much to ensure that infrastructure is keeping up. This was the worst May long weekend traffic that I have ever seen. The Coq is proving to be dangerous during the winter due to a lack of maintenance, and the S2S clogs up anytime you drop down to one lane. So here we are cutting budgets and tolls, while the routes are over capacity and under maintained.

And that's just transportation. What about the medical system or the school systems? Things are going crazy in this province right now and people want changes. I just hope this is the group that gets it all under control again.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #314
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
The crazy thing is that the Liberals have spent the last decade building up the population, but they haven't done much to ensure that infrastructure is keeping up. This was the worst May long weekend traffic that I have ever seen. The Coq is proving to be dangerous during the winter due to a lack of maintenance, and the S2S clogs up anytime you drop down to one lane. So here we are cutting budgets and tolls, while the routes are over capacity and under maintained.

And that's just transportation. What about the medical system or the school systems? Things are going crazy in this province right now and people want changes. I just hope this is the group that gets it all under control again.
Well more money will be spend on education but where will the money come from? Yea.... all those that voted for NDP and cheering for a NDP minority clearly thinks money grows on trees. Just wait till either tax goes up or BC debt level raise and see how they like a NDP gov.

Running the gov is like tunning a guiltar just right. Too lose and you can't play it and sounds terrible. Too tight on the strings and it snaps. NDP will be the lose strings. Just keep on spending and worry about the debt level later. Tax the rich too much and they will just move their investment to another place. Less investment > slower economy grwoth > less job > more layoffs > less spending money for the economy > business makes less money and the cycle just keeps on going.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #315
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
meh, too much paranoia and speculation about the current situation

i'd actually wait and see what the NDP/Greens approach will be and that'll take a few months to a year

i'm interested in the contents of their agreement, imo, this is a pretty good situation for bc politics in general and should stir up some voter interest at least in the foreseeable future.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Running the gov is like tunning a guiltar just right. Too lose and you can't play it and sounds terrible. Too tight on the strings and it snaps. NDP will be the lose strings. Just keep on spending and worry about the debt level later. Tax the rich too much and they will just move their investment to another place. Less investment > slower economy grwoth > less job > more layoffs > less spending money for the economy > business makes less money and the cycle just keeps on going.
^^ Thank you and very well said, Mr.HappySilp! This is precisely why we need to switch away from a Liberals government after 16 years of constant cranking / tightening of the strings. Keep winding those strings up and they'll snap!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #317
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
Strategically, Clark should recall legislature, present throne speech and budget with enough goodies in it to make Greens happy and test the agreement. See what happens.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #318
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
Going by the replies in this thread BC is going to look like the set of Mad Max by the time the NDP is done with it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ Thank you and very well said, Mr.HappySilp! This is precisely why we need to switch away from a Liberals government after 16 years of constant cranking / tightening of the strings. Keep winding those strings up and they'll snap!
I live just fine under Liberal Gov. However in the 90's under NDP family did terrible.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #320
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Strategically, Clark should recall legislature, present throne speech and budget with enough goodies in it to make Greens happy and test the agreement. See what happens.
If they were going to do that, they would've been better off just negotiating an agreement with the Greens in the first place.

Also, how the hell did Christie not participate in negotiations with the Greens?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Going by the replies in this thread BC is going to look like the set of Mad Max by the time the NDP is done with it.
Downtown Vancouver, May 2018
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #322
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Downtown Vancouver, June 2011
Fixed.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #323

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
If they were going to do that, they would've been better off just negotiating an agreement with the Greens in the first place.

Also, how the hell did Christie not participate in negotiations with the Greens?
This seems like a big misstep from the Greens to me, they really should be pitting both parties against each other to get the best deal possible.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
This seems like a big misstep from the Greens to me, they really should be pitting both parties against each other to get the best deal possible.
They negotiated with both the Liberal and NDP parties. Just, for whatever reason, Christy Clark wasn't involved in the negotiations for the Liberals.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #325
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Because shes not a real professional. a real professional would drop the bs like John and Andrew and make things happen. This is Christy's real self leaking here.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote