REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Stephen Paddock: What we know about the Las Vegas gunman - CNN

Video interview with the shooter's brother. Says he has no apparent political ties. Can the alt-right idiots stop claiming he's a Trump hater. You morons are no better than ISIS trying to claim he's one of theirs. Please do not quote naturalnews.com as a source again, might as well use theonion.

Quote:
The news doesn't square with Eric Paddock's image of his older brother, he told reporters Monday -- a poker-playing accountant with no apparent political or religious affiliation, "as far as I know," he hastened to add.
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #102
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Here is my favourite excerpt from naturalnews.com

You are apparently 4x more likely to stop a mass shooting if you don't have a gun.
You are 300x more likely to be shot by someone who isn't a legal gun owner.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
That's a quality website right there. Naturalnews.com LOL.
It's not your usual LOL CNN, but feel free to find the facts yourself.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...013-1.pdf/view
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
18% of gun crimes are committed by legal gun owners. A reasonable portion of the other 82% were legally purchased then lost or stolen. (sorry this stat is pittsburgh alone, but I imagine wouldn't vary too much from big city USA)
Consider what happens if say 20 years ago, there were stricter rules on gun sales.
Less guns are purchased.
Less guns get manufactured.
Less guns exist.
Less guns are available for criminal acts.
Less gun violence.
Too bad 20 years from now still no one will have bothered because proving a point was more important than peoples lives.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
It's not your usual LOL CNN, but feel free to find the facts yourself.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...013-1.pdf/view
I'm hoping you're not trying to question the legitimacy of a video interview of the shooter's brother.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/fbi...oter-incidents

Doesn't even list how many incidents were stopped by armed civilians.

Quote:
The just-released “A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013” contains a full list of the 160 incidents used in study, including those that occurred at Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook Elementary School, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Fort Hood, the Aurora (Colorado) Cinemark Century 16 movie theater, the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, and the Washington Navy Yard, as well as numerous other tragic shootings. Here are some of the study’s findings:

Active shooter incidents are becoming more frequent—the first seven years of the study show an average of 6.4 incidents annually, while the last seven years show 16.4 incidents annually.
These incidents resulted in a total of 1,043 casualties (486 killed, 557 wounded—excluding the shooters).
All but six of the 160 incidents involved male shooters (and only two involved more than one shooter).
More than half of the incidents—90 shootings—ended on the shooter’s initiative (i.e., suicide, fleeing), while 21 incidents ended after unarmed citizens successfully restrained the shooter.
In 21 of the 45 incidents where law enforcement had to engage the shooter to end the threat, nine officers were killed and 28 were wounded.
The largest percentage of incidents—45.6 percent—took place in a commercial environment (73 incidents), followed by 24.3 percent that took place in an educational environment (39 incidents). The remaining incidents occurred at the other location types specified in the study—open spaces, military and other government properties, residential properties, houses of worship, and health care facilities.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I'm hoping you're not trying to question the legitimacy of a video interview of the shooter's brother.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/fbi...oter-incidents

Doesn't even list how many incidents were stopped by armed civilians.
Keep reading, I know it isn't a 140 character tweet, but the facts are there.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #107
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
But you can't gamble on the fact that everyone is "normal" and allow anybody to have access to firearms, legally. Not having regulations on access to firearms, is already a layer of safety being shed off of the public. Illegal access is out of the picture and cannot be used in any argument because it is out of our control. People need to focus on what can be control and start doing something about it.

It's like, if a kid likes to throw eggs at your house, not allowing them to have access to eggs or make it difficult from them to obtain eggs, would mean less chances and less times your house will get egged. Common sense, isn't it?
Again, explain to me how Canada's gun control laws would have prevented this incident.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
18% of gun crimes are committed by legal gun owners. A reasonable portion of the other 82% were legally purchased then lost or stolen. (sorry this stat is pittsburgh alone, but I imagine wouldn't vary too much from big city USA)
Consider what happens if say 20 years ago, there were stricter rules on gun sales.
Less guns are purchased.
Less guns get manufactured.
Less guns exist.
Less guns are available for criminal acts.
Less gun violence.
Too bad 20 years from now still no one will have bothered because proving a point was more important than peoples lives.
So you're basing a stat from one city on all of America?
Ok. Let's look at Chicago gun control laws and homicide statistics then
-Norm Franz
Old 10-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Keep reading, I know it isn't a 140 character tweet, but the facts are there.
This study is very supportive of your argument. A HUGE 3.1% of shootings in this study were stopped by armed civilians. I am truly astonished.

Attached Images
File Type: png chrome_2017-10-02_22-57-16.png (220.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #110
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
was bone chilling to hear those fucking gun shots off into the distance,made it worse to see people ducking on the ground,Not running off into a direction away from the gunshots......it's something i always hear in a war zone...in a distance rifles cracking off fully automatic...to hear that on north american soil is just insane.

does this mean hotels will now have x-ray machines to make people feel safer or go on as normal with just sniffer dogs for gun powder and more police swat members on stand-by?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #111
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence

Looks like mass shootings in the US happen on average 9 out of every 10 days. They define mass shooting as 4 or more people shot, not including the shooter.

Looks like only the high hit count shootings make it to the news.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #112
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Yeah that's just what we need when there's a shooting going on, a bunch of other idiots shooting back in a crowded area. Let's not forget, not every gun owner is a trained professional that keeps calm and collected when shit goes down. While you might get the odd Jason Bourne in the crowd, the majority will be a bunch of Yosemite Sam's probably doing more harm than good.
The thought of a bunch of people just blindly firing back at the Mandalay Bay hotel from the concert grounds is so fucking scary.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #113
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post

Looks like mass shootings in the US happen on average 9 out of every 10 days. They define mass shooting as 4 or more people shot, not including the shooter.

Would like to hear response to this from pro gun anti regulation folks.

There is clearly something really wrong with gun culture in USA.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:18 AM   #114
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,694 Times in 3,125 Posts
I'm so glad my parents decided to immigrate to Canada and not cray cray USA.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post

Notice how they don't state whether those are registered guns used?
Statistics, pro or anti, almost always deliberately offer a very small part of the picture in order to push their agenda.

Murder rates in Texas had reduced by more than half since concealed carry became allowed in 1996.
See how easy it is to form arguments with selective information?
We don't include economy, prison population, number of executions, other laws passed, etc. Etc.
There are many many factors that drive/deter people to kill. Gun control is only one
-Norm Franz
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #116
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
The thought of a bunch of people just blindly firing back at the Mandalay Bay hotel from the concert grounds is so fucking scary.
lets not forget about the countless people already in their room standing in front of their windows to see what all the commotion is while 300 "heros" on the ground shoot at a target the size of a pin head. At that point all accuracy goes out the window and I wouldn't be surprised if you hit someone else.

When push comes to shove and you've a gun legally holstered at your side and someone in a crowd starts shooting in your direction you're going to run and take cover. If you decide to actually be proactive then think of the cross fire in that situation...

ps - I own several guns and enjoy them. I just think there's a large number of people who shouldn't be allowed to touch one.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #117

I know a lot of people think gun control is the simple/obvious answer. But IMO, the argument is very open ended
-Norm Franz
Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 AM   #118

The argument that a bystander could have successfully and safely fired back in this case is preposterous.
But the argument of whether or not this would have occurred in the first place had this not been a gun free zone is not as preposterous
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #119

a person with a gun with no split second training...finger on the trigger?......yeah i wouldn't want to be a brown/black person getting mistaken identity on a trigger happy wannabe hero....No fucking way....even if it was a white person in a trench coat as style might've being shot and killed mistakenly....Fear Reaction time with a fire arm as defense needs training like police forces do.

reminds me of the boston attack when a brown person was running away for his life out the area...someone tried playing hero pinning him to the ground and he was innocent trying to get away as police later interviewed him being tackled to the ground.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
So you're basing a stat from one city on all of America?
Ok. Let's look at Chicago gun control laws and homicide statistics then
That statistic is one place, but the argument works for everywhere. The earlier guns become harder to get, the less of them that would be manufactured.
You can choose not to understand that before a gun becomes an illegal gun, it enters the market as a legal one. That’s why the US has so many.
Someone buys a gun.
Someone loses gun/gun gets stolen
Gun becomes tool for crime.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 10-03-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:24 AM   #121
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Again, explain to me how Canada's gun control laws would have prevented this incident.
I did not say anything about preventing anything. That's the stupidest thing to ask for. It's like asking, "how is Canadian assault law gonna stop someone in China from assaulting someone". It's obvious you can't. If someone wants to do something, they are gonna do it. The thing is, without regulations, it's much much easier for that person to do so.

What I can tell you though, is that if there were regulations on getting firearms, things may have been different. The suspect may not have obtained the firearms on time of the event. And because of the time it takes for someone to obtain firearms, who knows what "right place and right time" could happen? Maybe if the gunman had decided to travel with the firearms any other day, he would have been pulled over or something.

Bottom line is, some regulation is better than none. Why do people need to access to AR freely anyways? One excuse I hear many times is, government tyranny. Right. The day government turn on their citizen, everybody would be dead by killing each other with these AR. So why don't you tell me why Americans should not have regulations or gun control laws?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #122
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
in this case, maybe/probably nothing.

the same as gun control in canada hasn't stopped vancouver from being a map in GTA. how many shootings in vancouver in the last 10 years? how many were from non-restricted rifles and shot guns, and how many were from restricted or prohibited guns? Gun control doesn't stop criminals.

It may have prevented the shooter from easily acquiring automatic rifles. But it wouldn't prevent the shooter from illegally acquiring them.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If someone is going to literally mow down a crowd at a concert from a hotel room 32 stories up across the street well enough to harm over 600 people, him having access to guns isnt the problem. That is a person who has a fundamental disconnect from reality. There is something wrong with that person, not the guns he used. Guns don't make normal people do that.
i know you're just answering to an open-ended question but it's quite a lopsided comparison

Vancouver's gun violence are generally targeted from gang feuds...not massacres intended to inflict maximum casualties.

and i don't think the local perps are packing a dozen weapons the size of lil' bow wow in their vehicles with a thousand rounds

those denying arms control is the solution, then what is?

it's hard to ignore that America has a dramatic gun fatality per capita compared to other developed countries and i don't buy that it's a mere coincidence

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-03-2017 at 06:41 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #123

If you'd like to use chicago as being an example of where gun control hasn't helped, perhaps this will explain why.
Remember every one of these guns was purchased legally. Gun control isn't putting up a sign that says "no gunz pls and thanx"
The control needs to be at the original point of purchase, because after that, "responsible gun owners" in the United states have proven themselves incapable of being in true control of where they end up.

You lose a gun? No more purchasing.
You have a gun stolen? Well I guess your safe wasn't safe.
You sell a gun? Well thats pretty fucking obvious.
These are all things that are happening to "responsible gun owners" all over the states.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #124
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,907 Posts
Caleb Keeter, one of the musicians at the Las Vegas show:

Country star Caleb Keeter on guns stance: 'I cannot express how wrong I was'

I’ve been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life.

Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with CHL licenses and legal firearms on the bus.

They were useless.

We couldn’t touch them for fear police might think that we were part of the massacre and shoot us. A small group (or one man) laid waste to a city with dedicated, fearless police officers, desperately trying to help, because of access to an insane amount of fire power.

Enough is enough.

Writing my parents and the love of my life a goodbye last night and a living will because I felt like I wasn’t going to live through the night was enough for me to realize that this is completely and totally out of hand. These rounds were powerful enough that my crew guys just standing in a close proximity of a victim shot by this fucking coward received shrapnel wounds.

We need gun control RIGHT. NOW.

My biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn’t realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it.

We are unbelievably fortunate not to be among the number of victims killed or seriously wounded by this maniac.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #125

if they did have stricter gun ownership laws,what would happen next if the mentally disturbed man didn't have one....Would he use his car/truck on the las vegas strip going 100 mph then into the country music festival?.

it's almost like these lunatics will find anyway to harm innocent people as an evil way,they even found explosives in his car.

IMO security will be stepped up in las vegas,i bet you even in large venues outdoor like this,Heat detection scopes & Night vision,navy/swat sniper members will be used as protection in counter-measure,I imagine they would be able to make the shot to a killer with rifle flashes coming out the broken window up above..

it scares me security can be stepped up for checking large bags that can contain rifles but there's also pistols out there capable of full auto,easily concealable.
las vegas police forces are most likely going to be hiring,power in numbers & groups as heightened security

Last edited by Mr.Money; 10-03-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: