REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 PM   #4676
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
This is great news. It will be interesting what will happen to all those excessive noise tickets.
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #4677
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Old 07-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #4678
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Wonder what Christensen and Cain will say or do when they bump into those two officers in the photo
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #4679
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
so stock exhaust probably safe now

but students with 93 corolla on CT hub caps will still be looking over their shoulder when driving into vancouver
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #4680

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
What's the context of that essay? Looks like it's just an article for a newsletter?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #4681
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
This doesn’t change anything much, the OPCC just makes recommendations, VPD is under no obligation to actually enact those recommendations.

Maybe it’s a start, maybe it’s just some pandering and they’ll leave Porsche’s alone and still fuck with the rest of us.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #4682
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I think VPD will avoid using the DB reader and continue to hand out VIs which can’t be disputed.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #4683
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Correction to his letter.

+10 decibels = 10x sound pressure level. +20 decibels = 100x sound pressure level.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #4684
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What's the context of that essay? Looks like it's just an article for a newsletter?
Kevin was asked to give the membership an update on his progress in the matter. It sounds like he has made some, and summarized it well here.

Agree w TT - they'll simply choose some other reason to issue arbitrary N&O's (suspension is prob the next lowest hanging fruit) Hopefully this is at least the end of the noise meter sham.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #4685
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
Kevin was asked to give the membership an update on his progress in the matter. It sounds like he has made some, and summarized it well here.

Agree w TT - they'll simply choose some other reason to issue arbitrary N&O's (suspension is prob the next lowest hanging fruit) Hopefully this is at least the end of the noise meter sham.
Lowered suspension is a lot less subjective than exhaust noise. Pretty much as long as the lowest part of your body isn't lower than the lowest part of your rim, you'll pass. There's no enforcement of OEM parts since that's impossible.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #4686

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
That’s not true. There needs to be 25mm between front tire and any body contact throughout the range of steering.
They have been known to quote that measurement for rear fender/tire even though it’s incorrect. Either way, just because you’ll pass a VI doesn’t mean they won’t give you one.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #4687
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
its a good start, atleast its on the record now

cain should catch more pca members, that'll get the ball rolling for some butthurt

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #4688

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Porsche Club of America: Canada West Region
tSpon1soarahesd
·
ADVICE FOR PCA CANADA WEST REGION MEMBERS ENGAGING WITH LOCAL POLICE
Following Kevin Yeung’s letter, we’ve been totally overwhelmed by the incredible amount of support we received from our members and the public. It’s a testimony to Kevin’s fairness, professionalism and class. We’ve also been inundated with questions on what to do when the Police stop you, because lets face it, it sucks to get pulled over.
While walking my dog after our club’s breakfast drive today, I reflected on the time when I joined Kevin Yeung, Todd Coupal and Jeremy Schaab (Porsche Vancouver General Manager and Regional General Manager for Dilawri Group – Canada’s largest automotive group, shown here on right) to meet with Inspector Earl Andersen (shown here on left) and Kevin Bernardin at Porsche Vancouver. I remembered when Earl performed the ISO5130 noise test on Jeremy’s completely stock company 2019 Porsche 911 GTS – 991.2.
Jeremy’s Porsche failed! We were floored! (Of Note: We learned later that in addition to this brand new, built in compliance with safety standards issued by Transport Canada Porsche, a McLaren 720S was also tested earlier in the day and failed as well!).
Earl is the head of traffic for VPD and simply one of the finest police officers I have ever met. He’s exceedingly experienced and knowledgeable – he was also an instructor at the Canadian Police College and a Professor at Langara College. Very few people could perform the noise test better or more fairly than Earl. As we left Porsche Vancouver together, Todd who as you know is our Safety Chair, Kevin and I began to fear; if Jeremy’s company car failed with Earl personally testing it, then maybe all Porsches could fail.
After walking my dog, I called Kevin and Todd and we collaborated with friends from law enforcement and legal to share these helpful tips for our PCA Canada West Region members.
TIPS FOR PCA CANADA WEST REGION MEMBERS – WHEN YOU ARE STOPPED BY POLICE FOR VEHICLE SAFTEY OR SUSPECTED SOUND VIOLATIONS
Please treat these recommendations only as a reference – this is not a legal document and should not be treated as one.
IF you are unfortunate enough to be stopped and subjected to a roadside vehicle inspection and/or sound test:
1. YOU HAVE RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS. As Canadians, our Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects us from an unreasonable or arbitrary use of power by the Police including searches or privacy intrusion. We are protected by freedom of speech but be mindful of what you say to the police if you are pulled over – say less is best.
2. BE POLITE. ALWAYS. Calmly comply and cooperate with the officer - even when you believe it is unfair. He is just trying to do his job so please be professional and courteous as possible.
3. RECORD THE INTERACTION. We all have smartphone these days so record your interactions with the officer. People are often unaware of their rights to video the Police. But the fact is the Police actually have no rights to privacy in public – especially in uniform. The officer cannot stop you from filming them or seize your phone or camera - unless they tell you that you are obstructing them from doing their job (they must explain how you are obstructing them). They cannot block, delete or alter any of your recordings or photos. It’s important to film the officer while they are executing their procedures and/or explaining to you what they are doing – you will have plenty of time to review the recordings with experts afterwards. Having spoken to Earl, he is confident his VPD traffic officers will be polite and professional and welcome people recording them doing their work.
4. LET THE POLICE TALK FIRST. Let the officer start talking and start recording or taking careful notes.
5. DO NOT ADMIT GUILT. Most officers are polite and professional and they are also trained to be good listeners. You might think they will let you off with just a warning but they can be waiting for you to admit guilt. So be careful because the officer might appear to understand you but once you say something incriminating, the officer can use it against you on by issuing you a ticket or in court if you challenge him.
6. TELL THE TRUTH. Do not lie to the officer, but keep your answers to questions brief. The officer might ask, "Do you know why I stopped you?" If you answer at all, your answer should always be “No.” Let him explain to you while you record him.
VEHICLE SAFETY AND/OR SUSPECTED NOISE VIOLATIONS. Unlike speeding violations, which rely on police issued radar equipment, vehicle safety and noise violations like 7A.01 rely on the officer’s SUBJECTIVE abilities and rely on case precedent: Regina vs Ian James Tootill.
REGINA VS IAN JAMES TOOTILL
https://www.bccourts.ca/jdb-txt/SC/1...12BCSC1015.htm
1. 7A01 applies a subjective standard, and based on Constable Bercic experience and expertise. He has been riding Harley Davidsons since 1982 (30 years).
2. It is pointed out that only the subjective observation of the officer matters, whether he observed less noise at other time or not does not matter.
3. It was crucial for the decision was that officer was extremely familiar with Harley Davidson motor cycles and recognized the after market “Screamin Eagle” aftermarket exhaust he observed on the motor cycle.
4. In R. vs Toothill the officer only issued a ticket and not a notice and order which means he suspected.
5. Justice Lim’s decision concludes:
a. The thrust of the defense evidence in this case was whether or not the officer used his sound level meter correctly or not in accordance to some standards that have been prescribed. I note that officer did not charge pursuant to s. 219, therefore we are not dealing with the objective standard which would involve the meter, in this case, whether or not the officer used his sound level meter accurately or not is not of relevance. The officer decided to charge under s. 7A.01 of the Regulations. That is the subjective section.
b. The officer indicates that he has driven the Harley Davidson for many years, and it was his opinion that this was louder than normal. I am satisfied the officer’s professional expertise gives him the ability to form that opinion. I am satisfied that subjectively this motorcycle was unnecessarily loud. Accordingly, Mr. Tootill is found guilty as charged.
SUBJECTIVITY IS VARIABLE
NOT all police officers are as subjectively credible and / or experienced regarding their subject matter. In Regina vs Tootill, Constable Bercic’s subjective credibility came from his vast experience with Harley Davidson - which dates back to 1982.
EXPERTISE AND EXPERIENCE CAN CHALLENGE AN OFFICER’S SUBJECTIVE COMPETENCE
Using Kevin’s experience for example the officer who stopped him said that he did not have any Porsche experience. Unlike Ian Tootill’s modified Harley Davidson motorcycle, Kevin Yeung’s Porsche 991.1 Targa 4S was completely stock and unmodified. Kevin’s car was inspected by Porsche Vancouver and CVSE who both confirmed that it was completely stock and in perfect working order. The CVSE also confirmed that Kevin’s car was compliant with Vancouver’s noise limits.
When Kevin told Todd and I that the officer described that he heard a high whining noise (which is produced by massive superchargers), screaming and popping and banging sounds (often produced by large displacement Italian exotic cars) coming from his bone stock Porsche Targa as it came to a stop from 60 to 50 kph in traffic. We were dumbfounded. We immediately realized that the officer probably made a mistake (please don’t be overly critical because mistakes can happen. We are human and try to be good people) and stopped the wrong car. Having driven Kevin’s Targa extensively on many occasions at all speeds and at high RPMs both Todd and I knew it was impossible for Kevin’s stock Porsche Targa to produce this wild cocktail noises as described – or I could sing like Pavarotti as Todd plays the guitar like Slash. Todd and I shared our Porsche knowledge, experience and expertise to assist Earl and Kevin with the VPD’s review of Kevin’s ticket. CVSE inspector James Daniels who himself is a 20 year veteran Porsche mechanic and also a founder and editor of a leading Porsche publication with over 20 years of Porsche experience who has driven Kevin’s Targa - and actually owns the same model himself both weighed in and contributed to the VPD’s ticket review. This is just one example of how expertise and experience can challenge an officer’s competence.
THE POLICE’S AUTHORITY – and their subjective competency
A Police officer has the authority to stop you; they can conduct roadside tests on your vehicle. They can issue you a notice and order for a vehicle inspection if they subjectively suspect that your vehicle is unsafe and/or a noise violation ticket if they subjectively suspect your vehicle is noisy. The officer’s subjective competence must be determined and examined – ideally recorded.
But remember in BC traffic court the officer acts as the prosecution, they have the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offence set out on your ticket. The judges are fair and will not blindly believe only what the officer says, they will also listen to you and determine the officer’s subjective competence based on the evidence you provide to refute them with.
WHEN GATHERING EVIDENCE. When gathering evidence, the details matter, so it’s important for you to film or at least take careful notes of the officer’s answers to the following questions to cast reasonable doubt on his subjective competence.
1. REQUEST TO PEFORM A VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTION. If the officer wants to perform a vehicle safety inspection ask them:
a. Have you received formal vehicle safety inspection training, directives and procedures from your current or past police agency (name the agency) or a licensed CVSE inspector?
b. What expertise do you have with Porsches? Do you know Porsche makes many versions of each model? Do you know that they have different specification (wheel sizes, ride heights, exhaust systems and lenses)?
c. What processes and procedures will you be following for the inspection?
d. If they issue you a notice and order for a vehicle inspection - ask them what are the defects they identified. For example ask him do you believe my car deserves a box 2 full inspection? Why not a box 3?
e. If they designate you to get your car inspected at a Porsche Dealership, inform them that both Porsche Vancouver and Porsche Langley do not conduct vehicle inspections. Ask why can’t I bring my vehicle to a CVSE inspection centre? Are they not qualified to do vehicle inspections on road cars?
2. REQUEST TO CONDUCT A NOISE TEST. If the officer wants to conduct a noise test ask them:
a. Have you received formal noise testing training, directives and procedures from your current or past police agency (name the agency) or a licensed CVSE inspector?
b. What testing procedure will you be applying? In BC, they will most likely state ISO5130.
c. Is your noise-measuring device issued by your police agency and it meets the requirements of ISO5130?
d. Has your noise-measuring devise been calibrated – if so by whom and when?
e. Is this roadside location a suitable testing location to conduct this procedure? Take a good video and / or many pictures of the location.
f. Have you determined the meteorological conditions prior to testing my vehicle? Specifically can you tell me the ambient noise of the location from wind and passing cars.
g. Please explain to me exactly what steps you will be taking to collect the noise measurements from my car.
h. My car is a Porsche 911/Boxster/Cayman/918/Carrera GT it is a rear/mid engine vehicle. What caution will you be exercising to measure the noise because my engine and cooling fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise?
i. Will you be preparing a testing report for me? If so when can I see it? If not why not?
j. *If he says that he is conducting the noise test for educational purposes only. Ask him to confirm that all sound measurements taken from his test will not appear on the PRIME incident records, the violation ticket notes or on the notice and order. Educational purposes only means that they cannot be written and or used to influence his investigation of your ticket.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #4689

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #4690
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Here is the PCA-CWR's post:

https://www.facebook.com/pcacanadawe...88535674507514

if anyone is interested.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #4691
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Trying to find the link on fb but friend showed me there was this long essay about VPD handing out VI's at cypress today. ( daytime ) Will update when I get it. YIKES !
ricecookerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #4692
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Someone with a cat-less 4-series (or other shitty BMW, I can't remember) got a VI. Hardly anything to "YIKES!" about.
Delatocious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #4693
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecookerboi View Post
Trying to find the link on fb but friend showed me there was this long essay about VPD handing out VI's at cypress today. ( daytime ) Will update when I get it. YIKES !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delatocious View Post
Someone with a cat-less 4-series (or other shitty BMW, I can't remember) got a VI. Hardly anything to "YIKES!" about.
It was a catless 2 series. Cops said they could smell that it was no cats - which would be accurate. Ricecookerboi still hasn't learned, after 2 years, what is a valid VI.

This is a valid VI. Does the owner deserve it? Debatable. But do the police have grounds to issue that? Well he's not running cats, which is illegal, so yes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #4694
I don't get it

I've run catless for years and my car exhaust isn't sooty nor does it smell. Sounds like another f*ckboi ricer that graduated to a bmw doing a poppop tune. I hope they crush the car.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #4695
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
If it's the same post I'm thinking of, it's a white BMW with an unmarked Charger behind him and an unmarked Tahoe behind the Charger. The Charger passed me on Upper Levels Highway going Eastbound so I'm gonna asume that guy did something to really attract their attention since I thought the Charger was gonna pull me over when he was behind me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #4696
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
I've run catless for years and my car exhaust isn't sooty nor does it smell. Sounds like another f*ckboi ricer that graduated to a bmw doing a poppop tune. I hope they crush the car.
Oh it smells you’re just noseblind to it... lol... my k-swap is catless and anyone drives behind me it’s just gas and exhaust fumes city and that’s just a 2.0L engine
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #4697
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I usually run the A/C if I have to drive behind someone who's catless. Is the smell of cancer worth the power gains on a daily driver?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #4698

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
I've never smelled anything from my car either, or had anyone comment on it, but I've driven behind a few buddies that smelled pretty strongly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #4699
I don't get it

I took out the cat on my Evo X, and it smelled bad enough that I put it back in despite how awesome it sounded. Of course you don't smell it while you're moving though.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #4700
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

LOL @ any idiot who thinks his cat-less piece of shit doesn't smell. Pull your head out of your ass and give your head a shake.
Delatocious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: