REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #4651
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The irony is delicious... like shit sandwich delicious.
Advertisement
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #4652
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
So if he knew that you cannot VI a vehicle on a R-plate, then why did he attempt it anyway?
Old 06-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #4653
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Can confirm car has aftermarket exhaust. Tech was on road test when Christensen pulled over and both parties came back to dealer to talk with management. No VI given because its not possible to give VI to repair plated car with open RO. Car belongs to a local dealer's inventory.
Hmmm $200K.
https://londonmotorcars.com/vehicles...16-911-gt3-rs/

This should be the car that was pulled over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #4654
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
So if he knew that you cannot VI a vehicle on a R-plate, then why did he attempt it anyway?
Maybe to pull rank, prove a point, flex his authoritah?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #4655
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Where's the evidence of a VI? Sounds like he just went to talk to them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #4656
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
what's there to talk about? had a R plate near a strip of dealerships

maybe just biased but the photo shows the body language as pretty telling

seems like borderline intimidating/harassing a business
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #4657
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Absolutely hilarious that the tech was driving it. Literally THE person to qualify the vehicle during a V.I. inspection order. If it is indeed bone stock then it's like traffic violation inception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The irony is delicious... like shit sandwich delicious.
*slowclap*

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd.....sig'd
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #4658
Lat
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #4659
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Seems like coquitlam is getting hit with VI’s. 3 people on the local focus group have been done recently
Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #4660

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
^^ more info please, by RCMP? We're they driving like Dick's or really obvious mods?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #4661
RS Veteran

local car club members driving like dicks? no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
100% stock too
Old 07-10-2020, 12:42 AM   #4662

I have no idea on the circumstances, nor did they give me photos of their cars to see how modified they are. And yes, each incident was seperate from each other.. most the people on here with VI’s were just sitting at red lights. No need to assume they were driving like dicks until that evidence comes out
Old 07-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #4663

Not a vi but a friend received a $2xx ticket for having a clear license plate cover, is there any way to dispute? Cop was being a dick and said that was the cheapest fine he could give.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #4664
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Seems like coquitlam is getting hit with VI’s. 3 people on the local focus group have been done recently
I'm in Coquitlam 3-4 times a week and have passed by multiple RCMP cruisers without issue. Been getting looks every now and then but so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Not a vi but a friend received a $2xx ticket for having a clear license plate cover, is there any way to dispute? Cop was being a dick and said that was the cheapest fine he could give.
Your friend can dispute anything you want but technically license plates covers are considered an "obstruction" from what I understand so it'd be against the MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #4665
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Your friend can dispute anything you want but technically license plates covers are considered an "obstruction" from what I understand so it'd be against the MVA
^ What he said. Following the wording precisely....one may consider the dealership frame that goes around the edge of the plate to be an obstruction.

Quote:
Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #4666
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
There's a guy in Coquitlam with a Red Focus. Pretty sure he's gotta prove to everyone that his car pops. LOL Literally driving down the street, downshifting every time hes coming to a red light and not even a heel-toe shift. I roll past him in traffic and he starts tailgating the car infront of him so he can rev his car louder and make it pop even more for me to hear apparently.. Like I give a shit.

I guess i'm just not into being an attention whore, I mean my car pops and crackles too, no problem. I just dont do it literally in morning traffic, while commuting with the rest of the morning commuters, for a 10 block stretch.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000

Last edited by Dragon-88; 07-17-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #4667

^^ lol that’s probably one of them. I don’t know the group very well
Old 07-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #4668
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
^ What he said. Following the wording precisely....one may consider the dealership frame that goes around the edge of the plate to be an obstruction.
Well, an Ontario dude had been ticketed for exactly just that in March 2020:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/on...se-plate-frame

Not sure how that panned out, but it would be beyond stupid if the ticket didn't get tossed.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #4669
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Well, an Ontario dude had been ticketed for exactly just that in March 2020:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/on...se-plate-frame

Not sure how that panned out, but it would be beyond stupid if the ticket didn't get tossed.
Apparently it was for a missing front plate:

UPDATE 21/03/2020: Police later told CTV News Toronto that Giordano was in fact ticketed for not displaying a front licence plate on his vehicle, which is required in Ontario. They say he was issued a caution about his plate frame, which Durham Regional Police insist is illegal. Giordano admits his front plate was on his dashboard instead of his bumper, but says he was told the ticket was for the rear plate frame.
Retrac is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #4670
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
PCA-CWR putting in work. No disrespect to the members here that have volunteered countless hours to try and make some headway on this issue, but we knew it would be the right person getting tagged w the time and resources to at least make some headway.

Quote:
VANCOUVER SOUND TESTING WIN!

Dear PCA Canada West Region members,

My good friends Joel Parker, who served as our club’s past president, and Todd Coupal our club’s Safety Chair asked me to share my experience with you. As the son of a career police officer, I salute the important work our police perform to safeguard our communities. I love Vancouver and cherish the peace and tranquility in our beloved city.

I consider myself very fortunate to enjoy cars like my Porsches. However, a few months ago while driving my 911 Targa 4S type 991.1, I experienced this unpleasant incident: https://youtu.be/3uj1-anjA5A The officer conducted a roadside noise test on my car and recorded decibel (dB) readings of 103 dB in normal and 104 dB in sports mode - exceeding Vancouver’s noise limits of 83 dB. Information gathered from the Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME) occurrence file, violation ticket and notice and order unanimously confirmed that the officer used this noise test information in his investigation of the noise violation and from it issued forth the Notice and Order.

I am grateful towards the leadership of the Vancouver Police Department Traffic Section for reviewing my violation ticket. However, it was inconvenient to comply with the Notice and Order (Box 2 that required a full vehicle inspection). I visited Porsche Vancouver (as directed by the officer) and then the Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) inspection facility at Weissach. Following their respective inspections, they unequivocally confirmed that my Porsche Targa was; completely stock, operating in factory specifications, completely unmodified without any visual, mechanical or electrical faults, damage or any defects. The officer’s subjective determination that my car required a rather serious box 2 full inspection was unfounded - it wasted a lot of my time and cost me $160 for the inspection.

While I was at the CVSE inspection facility, I instructed them to perform a noise test in accordance to ISO5130 (sound testing procedure) on my car using a calibrated instrument. They measured 78 dB to 82.8 dB in regular mode and 80 dB to 83.1 dB in sports mode. After taking into account that ISO5130 procedures clearly states, “caution should be exercised when measuring rear-and mid engine vehicles because engine and cooling fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise”, my car was safely compliant with Vancouver’s noise limits.

The 20 dB noise discrepancies between the CVSE inspection facility’s noise measurements (conducted in controlled conditions) and the officer’s noise measurements (conducted roadside) on a windy and noisy bridge (60 dB to 76 dB ambient noise) made me question the officer’s subjective abilities and his testing methodology. 20 decibels is not insignificant because sound is measured on a logarithmic scale rather than a linear scale - an increase in 10 decibels represents double the sound for human ears while 20 decibels is quadruple the sound to human ears. 100 dB would be equivalent to a 707 jet taking off at 305 meters at YVR.

I shared my concerns with the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner (OPCC) and after their independent investigation they concluded the following:

“The OPCC is of the view there is a misapplication by the Vancouver Police Department Traffic Section of the authorities granted under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations causing cost and considerable inconveniences to members of the public. It is also unclear what practices are being followed by other police agencies. Therefore, the OPCC has made a recommendation to the Provincial Police Services Division to review this practice, whether through their office or through the appropriate Ministry, related to Division 25 and the issuance of Notice and Orders to determine whether additional clarity is required to assist departments with the interpretation and application of this regulation.”

The Vancouver Police and other police agencies apply ISO5130 testing procedures for their roadside noise tests. https://www.unece.org/…/wp…/ECE-TRAN...-45-inf01e.pdf
Despite their officer’s best efforts, the OPCC’s investigation demonstrated the enormous challenges and difficulties of proper application of this test on the roadside. On my case alone, the OPCC discovered that the officer “missed numerous testing procedure steps.” Having reviewed ISO5130 with CVSE inspectors and sound experts, it became clear that some of the ISO5130’s critical testing procedures are virtually impossible to perform on the roadside in the real world. Some examples include:
1. Ensuring the testing site was suitable as per the requirements of ISO5130;

2. Determination of the meteorological conditions prior to the test and taking the conditions into account, specifically wind noise;

3. Conducting testing procedures correctly, notably adhering to a caution listed at the bottom of page 3 of ISO5130 which stated: Caution should be exercised when measuring rear-and mid-engine vehicles (like Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayman, 918 and Carrera GT models) because engine and cooling fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise”

It takes a community to help a community. I have tremendous gratitude towards the OPCC for their investigation and landmark recommendation. Thank you to our Porsche Club members for all your generous advise - Quora with cars and coffee. I am also thankful towards Inspector Earl Andersen and Staff Sergeant Kevin Bernardin from the Vancouver Police for meeting with our community and me and for their genuine commitment to finding fair solutions. I want to thank my friend Wilkins Chung for generating an incredible amount of research. I was humbled by the support I received from friends from the police who recognized the unfairness and failings of these roadside noise tests. Your open mindedness to learn coupled with your appetite for change demonstrates how progressive our police truly are.

I sincerely hope everyone is respectful towards each other. Please allow the Provincial Police Services Division and the appropriate Ministry to review and work on improving BC’s police noise testing, directives, policies and procedures to insure fairness for all motorists. Please enjoy a wonderful summer!

Respectfully with regards,

Kevin Yeung
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #4671
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts

Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #4672

Inb4 nothing changes
Old 07-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #4673

Didn't they vote to refund vpd?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #4674

YoU cAnT pUt A pRiCe On RoAd SaFeTy
Old 07-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #4675
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
This is seriously the best news I have heard in 2020 so far...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote