REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #3351
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,361 Times in 5,657 Posts
That personal choice is a wayyyyyy bigger strain on society. Infinitely more. And you’re the broker.
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #3352
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Smokers pay massive amount of taxes on their vice, and their life expectancies are generally shorter so overall their "strain on society" is not so big at all.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #3353
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,224 Posts
I mean it's not like smokers just up and die, they get cancer or COPD and then the last few years of their life are basically living in a hospital which can't be cheap.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #3354

A pack a day smoker pays on average an additional $100k in taxes on cigarettes over 40 years than a non smoker, in addition to the same general taxes that you and I pay towards health care.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 06-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #3355
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
We're onto the whataboutisms already?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #3356

Lol, indeed

Anti-gun control rhetoric 101:

1. Blame something else
2. Say it's too hard to do anything
3. Revert to Whataboutism
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #3357
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
As a RPAL holder, I think the new regulation is stupid. This is purely punishing those who abide laws because there less of them and there's less resistance.

People who have the motive would not stop because we made firearms illegal.

For people on here who can't understand the way we feel... an appropriate way to put it for this car-centric forum would be the federal gov't announcing that we are banning all cars capable of going more than 120km/hr and limit all cars' acceleration from 0-100 to 10sec because car accidents kill too many people every year and there's no need for such a fast acceleration in daily driving.

Does it make sense? Just because cars are capable of those fast speeds aren't the reason causing so many accidents. Instead, more strict licensing scheme, better training are what would ultimately lead to fewer accidents.

For firearms.. having the ability to kill is not the problem. Many products in our daily life can be lethal if used inappropriately. Many of the anti-gun people here, your logic is what? Oh, it doesn't affect me... the less gun the safer.

But that logic is seriously flawed. For gang members (the vast majority of our shootings) who want access to firearms, they would get it... one way or the other. This can be seen in many Asian countries where guns are totally outlawed, but guns still exist in those countries. Mass shooters... if the end goal was to hurt/kill many people, there are many ways and many things that we have access with little to no restrictions that can achieve that goal. And then what? We just ban them all? I don't see Trudeau making a huge deal about cars last time during the Toronto incident. And the reason is simple... it didn't make sense to limit it and there would be far too much resistance.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #3358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Lol, indeed

Anti-gun control rhetoric 101:

1. Blame something else
2. Say it's too hard to do anything
3. Revert to Whataboutism
Slightly right leaning politics - “can we please have harsh penalties for severe crimes”

Lefty politics “yea, we can’t do any of that, but we can do some irrelevant shit that only punishes victims”

You guys don’t have feelings on someone with 5 first degree murder chargers getting out in a few years? It’s the new thing! Pretty dope edit* sorry, 6 first degree, 6 attempted.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #3359

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,224 Posts
Well cigarettes are probably more insane than guns if you think about it. They serve no purpose whatsoever other than making you sick, stink, or get other people sick in the process. They cause massive fires to boot. At least booze can get you drunk what does a cigarette do? How is there not a plan in place to phase them out over the next couple decades?

Dat tax money tho
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #3360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
As a RPAL holder, blah blah blah
Ok?

Is stating that supposed to carry some weight or something?

Like who cares.

All that means to me is "Everything I say after this statement is bias"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #3361

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
As a RPAL holder, I think the new regulation is stupid. This is purely punishing those who abide laws because there less of them and there's less resistance.

People who have the motive would not stop because we made firearms illegal.

For people on here who can't understand the way we feel... an appropriate way to put it for this car-centric forum would be the federal gov't announcing that we are banning all cars capable of going more than 120km/hr and limit all cars' acceleration from 0-100 to 10sec because car accidents kill too many people every year and there's no need for such a fast acceleration in daily driving.

Does it make sense? Just because cars are capable of those fast speeds aren't the reason causing so many accidents. Instead, more strict licensing scheme, better training are what would ultimately lead to fewer accidents.

For firearms.. having the ability to kill is not the problem. Many products in our daily life can be lethal if used inappropriately. Many of the anti-gun people here, your logic is what? Oh, it doesn't affect me... the less gun the safer.

But that logic is seriously flawed. For gang members (the vast majority of our shootings) who want access to firearms, they would get it... one way or the other. This can be seen in many Asian countries where guns are totally outlawed, but guns still exist in those countries. Mass shooters... if the end goal was to hurt/kill many people, there are many ways and many things that we have access with little to no restrictions that can achieve that goal. And then what? We just ban them all? I don't see Trudeau making a huge deal about cars last time during the Toronto incident. And the reason is simple... it didn't make sense to limit it and there would be far too much resistance.
A car is a form of transportation not something designed to kill. Governments have forced automakers to cars safer.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #3362
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Smoking is a personal choice and the government is working on getting rid of it. Getting shot is not a choice.
Getting shot actually is a choice.

If you choose to live in a concrete bunker then you will not die from the 3 mentioned methods. If you don’t want to live in a concrete bunker then there is a possibility you may be one of the ~140 people killed by a handgun, ~400 drownings or the ~1800 auto deaths.

To save lives it would be more effective to ban bodies of water and cars. But I still think people would swim and drive. These topics don’t make good news content though.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #3363

Thanked 4,591 Times in 1,729 Posts
I'm an RPAL carrier and I have no issues with additional regulations, ammo is already hard to get anyways
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #3364

Can’t say it’s surprising that his supporters are ultimately as short sighted as he is.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #3365
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
Omg the speeding car argument.

When does the knife one get brought up? “You can also kill people with a knife, let’s ban all knives then too”
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #3366
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Can’t say it’s surprising that his supporters are ultimately as short sighted as he is.
Do you have a stupid photo from 20+ years ago of the Safety Minister? Cuz he’s the one that actually came up with the plan.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #3367

Just somone arguing these points, please explain how creating HARSH penalties for illegal gun possession/crime is the wrong direction? I’ve yet to year an argument.

You mount a campaign saying if you’re caught with an illegal firearm, you’re going away for 5 years period. There’s no grey area. The amount of illicit gun crime plummets over night.

I don’t get this need for like these round about fixes that do nothing to the people who actually commit these crimes?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #3368

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If anything that photo makes me like him more. At least the guy is down to fuckin party.
I’m pretty indifferent. I don’t think this angle is effective, but the gun argument compared to ANYTHING always makes you look like an idiot.
Cars are for driving, people dying is a negative side effect
Water is for drinking, people dying is a negative side effect
Smoking/drinking is for pleasure, people dying is a negative side effect
Handguns are for killing people, people dying is the INTENDED.
No every day danger that is available to the public is created with the same intent of guns. The comparisons are asinine.
That said, I’m a proponent of hunting, and being able to have a rifle, with restrictions and stipulations that make them very difficult to use in violence against humans. You can’t put a rifle in your pocket.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #3369

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I have an RPAL and I don't really care much either way. I'm not opposed to harsher sentences for smuggling or possession of illegal firearms though. Using anything that requires an RPAL is purely a hobby, there are plenty of others out there if that goes away. People basing their entire personality around it need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You can’t put a rifle in your pocket.
Maybe they're just happy to see you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 06-01-2022 at 05:53 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #3370

I’m very much for harsher penalties for certain gun crimes, while I can see the angle of reducing certain sentence minimums as an attempt at preventing long term incarceration for people who get into bad lifestyles due to circumstances with inequality and lack of opportunity for success.
Kind of treating it like a dealer/user sort of situation. That said, any violence that ends up with innocent lives being lost or long term injury in an unprovoked attack should really end up with the perpetrator having their life ruined as badly as they ruin someone else’s.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:26 PM   #3371

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Alberta MLA threatening JT.

https://twitter.com/StaySaif/status/...tin-trudeau%2F
Old 06-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #3372

Remember though guys. Trudeau is sowing division in this country! Not the politicians that are posting death threats to him on twitter.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #3373
Performance Moderator

Do you think he kept the tag on that Tigger outfit because he returned it after he wore it? Edgy.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #3374
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
A car is a form of transportation not something designed to kill. Governments have forced automakers to cars safer.
In which ways have governments forced auto makers to make their cars safer? blind spot detection? advanced emergency braking? rev limiters? Sure, all useful things so long as the driver is competent. A car is only as safe as the driver is capable of being. Then there's the people who like to modify cars, kinda like half the people who use this forum. Swap this out for that, that for this, remove that, add this and yaaay more HP! What's the need for that other than personal pleasure? I can't image that many people here being professional race car drivers who would benefit from it.

As Hehe said, he's an RPAL holder(myself as well so I 100% understand his frustration) and anti gun people's logic is completely flawed and they've yet to bring forward any sort of logical explanation as to how banning Canadian RPAL holders from handguns will accomplish anything..... other than making gun smuggling a much more lucrative job. I don't know how many times it has to be said and how people aren't capable of understanding that it is not licensed RPAL/PAL holders who are committing the crimes you see on TV with registered firearms. For every 20 shootings in Canada, maybe one of them is legitimately licensed. It is the illegally smuggled in firearms doing the shootings by people who've already got lengthy criminal records or known to police. What is so impossible to understand about that?

I'd be more than happy to see gun crimes have an instant 50 year prison term with no chance of parole. I'd be happy to see anyone with a police record pertaining to assault or any type of bodily harm to another person to be stripped of their license and have anything they own seized.
To me, anti firearms people are starting to resemble Trump supporters screaming that the election was stolen.... Give solid proof and we'll talk.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #3375

An emoji of a gun is like a maga hat to the blind Trudea supporter.

Also, digging into that mosque shooting a bit, Jesus Christ they didn’t label him a domestic terrorist because they couldn’t affiliate him with “a group” yet Trudeau and his lackeys had the gall to talk about the freedom convoy as being domestic terrorists?

I guarantee you by the end of his Reign, even the most staunch supporter is going to look back and say what in the fuck.

And before Manic comes back saying hArPeR WaS dEViL! I’m not saying anyone is better or worse. I’m saying Trudeau is terrible as the government I live under. Wasteful, ineffective, clueless.