REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #3126
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My uncle retired in Pataya, and he loves it, standard of living to cost ratio is fantastic.

I'd never retire in this ridiculous country. Everything is expensive as fuck, especially if you're on a pension, and for what, to keep your MSP for free healthcare in an already broken down system?

Fuck that.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll end up retiring in Thailand, Philippines or Mexico.
Climate pun aside, I find Canada to be a pretty cold country. The whole 'at least we're not the USA!' is like a slightly rotting banana saying 'at least I'm not a rotten banana!'

Many of my immigrant friends who came here love the country for its financial improvement opportunities but find the country to lack a heart especially since 'community' seems to be an evasive word here compared to where they came from. Many here only feign empathy for others but in practical means, empathy is to be found somewhere with Waldo in the Bermuda Triangle.

All are shocked by the taxes, annoyed that their families back home ask for money because *wink* working in Canada does not equal millionaire and then realize they're as poor here as they were back home but what Canada does offer is better rights & protections for them.

After surveying most of them, all but a few would say their plan is to eventually go back to their country of origin with what they earn in Canada which is pretty much inline with that people like Mike's uncle are doing.

Even for me, I've always wondered why I've been miserable lately and then it all made sense: Working too much, too much taxes, too much density, not enough small business, way too much real estate corruption, the list goes on.

I'm pretty sure once both my parents pass, it'll be adios Canada for me.

Sent from my work computer using CrapaTalk
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #3127
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,388 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Climate pun aside, I find Canada to be a pretty cold country. The whole 'at least we're not the USA!' is like a slightly rotting banana saying 'at least I'm not a rotten banana!'

Many of my immigrant friends who came here love the country for its financial improvement opportunities but find the country to lack a heart especially since 'community' seems to be an evasive word here compared to where they came from. Many here only feign empathy for others but in practical means, empathy is to be found somewhere with Waldo in the Bermuda Triangle.

All are shocked by the taxes, annoyed that their families back home ask for money because *wink* working in Canada does not equal millionaire and then realize they're as poor here as they were back home but what Canada does offer is better rights & protections for them.

After surveying most of them, all but a few would say their plan is to eventually go back to their country of origin with what they earn in Canada which is pretty much inline with that people like Mike's uncle are doing.

Even for me, I've always wondered why I've been miserable lately and then it all made sense: Working too much, too much taxes, too much density, not enough small business, way too much real estate corruption, the list goes on.

Where might one go for a better quality of life? Serious question as it's something I'd consider at some point if there was something viable.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:29 PM   #3128

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

This is 100% true. Teriyaki, honestly the world is large and vast, there are amazing places all over the world outside of Canada, we've gaslit ourselves into thinking our standard of life out here is the apex.

I have friends that have immigrated here from India, China, Philippines, Mexico, Africa and almost all of them have parroted the same things GS8 is saying. The juice is quickly becoming not worth the squeeze in this country.

They all say the same things about being here -- the lack of community, everything is vastly more expensive (cost of living, housing, etc.), the weather, you name it. I'm not kidding, the majority of the people I've spoken to have said they plan to move back home at some point. Was actually having beers a few nights back with a friend from Uganda, he's buying up land back home to eventually retire out there, his money goes so much further and the standard of living in Kampala is great for him.

You know a lot of these countries are starting to modernize, there is a reason a shit ton of Canadians retire abroad nowadays. I have another uncle who bought a home in Merida, Mexico. They have a big family here in Kelowna, but eventually they will sell their place there and move 100% in Merida, right now they go back and forth every few months.

The more you travel the world the more you see how much happier people are, and yet have a fraction of what we do. I find most of us here are running a miserable rat race to keep up. Immigrating and succeeding in Canada is much different nowadays then what it was when our parents immigrated here in the 60'/70's/80's. Back then you could purchase a place and get ahead, see a future in this country.

Nowadays, not so much. Not only that but the standard of living and parity in many of these developing countries has begun to catch up, it's no longer a shithole retiring to many of the places I've mentioned, Mexico in particular (since you're always a quick flight back to Canada for family, and such). Many Canadians are retiring down there. Imagine selling your condo or house up here, buying a place for a fraction of that in Mexico, near the beach in a beautiful city like Merida, or Puerto Vallarta, etc. Your pension funds (CPP/RRSPs/Annuities) go WAY further, and like I said, our health system is simply not what it used to be, the more we continue to privatize it (which we will) the less bang for your buck we as Canadians will get out of this system.

Many Canadians simply eschew their MSP coverage by moving abroad and simply ensure the massive savings in the cost of living go towards a slush fund for any unforeseen medical expenses.

To me, it's a no brainer. I just hope that by the time I retiree, that ship hasn't sailed with everyone else doing the same
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 03:25 AM   #3129
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
That plan of moving to a western country making a bunch of money then moving back has been around for ever. My dad knows lots of people that had that plan. But it never happens. They move here make friends get married and have kids. They put roots down in the community. They become accustomed to the life style Canada offers.

We had some people from may dads village in India who lived in Calgary. They decided to retire in India and build a large house in our village. They stayed there less then a month and moved back. After being gone for 40 plus years they barely knew anyone. There whole social life friends/family was in Canada.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #3130
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
I grew up with lots of first wave HK’ers and after school almost all of them went back to HK even though they grew up here because they wanted to make $$$, some came back later after they made a bunch because HK can is quite a rat race every day but some stayed… but noped the fuck out when China reared it’s ugly head (again).

The thing that bothers me about here (maybe Toronto is less like Vancouver?) is that everyone comes back to “chill” and take it easy. Well, we can’t all take it easy when a house starts at 1.6M can we? There’s no drive here for anything…. In fact my experience in Canada, much like a number of people posting in this thread have done, is that you face intense scrutiny and rejection if you even dare suggest there might be anything elsewhere or that you can do “better”… always this same reaction, a look of disgust and a quick “Really? Why? What makes you so special?” There’s like this real need here to conform to ‘being happy with what you’re given’ because you’re much better off than the rest of the world thing and it drives me nuts here. Say what you went about Americans, country is fucked up in a lot of ways but if you’re from Vancouver and you spend a couple days in any decent sized city down there you very quickly get that same feeling someone from a small town that doesn’t know much must get… and that there’s another gear or 2 to be found if you want to succeed… like a tangible feeling of shit you know what, there are a lot of opportunities if I put the work in. Some urgency? I’m not sure. I guess you get tired of that too at some point but it’s a real eye opener. Not just USA either, any big city… we think of China as being kind of ha-ha third world backwards bad standards etc… take a walk around Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc one day and tell me again that’s not some next level shit compared to any city here. Nevermind they’ll pull off projects in months that would take 5+ years here and no they don’t all fall down and crush people lol…

I grew up thinking Vancouver was the shit, but as soon as I travelled the world and went to other big cities in the world, I felt extremely unsophisticated. Sometimes unsophisticated is good. Good to grow up in, good to grow old in… not so much the middle part I think… and now the costs have made the grow old part not enjoyable either save for a select few.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #3131

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
There is a lot of Canada outside of Vancouver and Toronto...

Granted if you want to live in a really big city your options are limited here, but aren't most large cities pretty pricey? I know Van/TO are always up there in pricing but how much do you really save?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #3132
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Yea, you can always live in Merrit for 850k..
Old 03-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #3133

Merritt is a big city to you?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #3134

I’m saying the options “outside of big cities” don’t offer much value anymore unless you live in a total hole.

West Bank/West Kelowna is priced like Langley or higher now. Penticton, Kamloops etc. are also hovering around there. So then what’s “small” like an Oliver or osoyoos? Still pretty pricey with an hour or more drive to decent amenities.

People without a lot of money take their cash out of lower mainland homes then move to these “small” towns crossing their fingers hoping for their health. By moving out of a larger town for a smaller retirement place, you almost always sacrifice accessibility to health care. So as you age you just become a burden unto others once again lol..

Almost everyone I know that has substantial wealth uses Canada as a home base for healthcare etc. but they live outside of Canada for big portions of the year because why wouldn’t you. In regards to the Thailand tourist visa thing, I believe If you buy property you’re exempt from a lot of the hassle. A couple family friends own these mini resorts in southern Thailand they paid peanuts for relative to our housing market and have basically been coming and going as they please entire Covid.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #3135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That plan of moving to a western country making a bunch of money then moving back has been around for ever. My dad knows lots of people that had that plan. But it never happens. They move here make friends get married and have kids. They put roots down in the community. They become accustomed to the life style Canada offers.

We had some people from may dads village in India who lived in Calgary. They decided to retire in India and build a large house in our village. They stayed there less then a month and moved back. After being gone for 40 plus years they barely knew anyone. There whole social life friends/family was in Canada.
Arriving back in India astonished to see its not as nice as Canada:

“This 3rd world infrastructure really isn’t as nice as the Banf Springs”
Old 03-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’m saying the options “outside of big cities” don’t offer much value anymore unless you live in a total hole.
I was asking: if you want to live in a big city but think Vancouver and Toronto are too expensive, which big cities outside of Canada are significantly cheaper?

Quote:
People without a lot of money take their cash out of lower mainland homes then move to these “small” towns crossing their fingers hoping for their health. By moving out of a larger town for a smaller retirement place, you almost always sacrifice accessibility to health care. So as you age you just become a burden unto others once again lol..

Almost everyone I know that has substantial wealth uses Canada as a home base for healthcare etc. but they live outside of Canada for big portions of the year because why wouldn’t you. In regards to the Thailand tourist visa thing, I believe If you buy property you’re exempt from a lot of the hassle. A couple family friends own these mini resorts in southern Thailand they paid peanuts for relative to our housing market and have basically been coming and going as they please entire Covid.
Driving from Osoyoos to Kelowna for healthcare is too much hassle but flying back to Canada from Thailand for healthcare isn't?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #3137

You just pay for whatever you need there. It’s probably more accessible for people with $$$

You obviously can’t go do that after living pay cheque to pay cheque here
Old 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #3138
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
There is a lot of Canada outside of Vancouver and Toronto...
So much truth in this.

When I was going to school in Ontario, there were a lot of smaller cities that were very, very nice to live in -- or at least they appeared that way to a wide-eyed university kid. London was nice. Kitchener-Waterloo was nice. Cambridge was a bit of a dump back then, but I've been told it has changed a lot. Guelph was very homey, if a little inconvenient. Georgetown seemed decent. Kingston felt very comfortable too, and Ottawa + surrounding suburbs felt very livable too.

Halifax was beautiful. People in Winterpeg are super friendly -- but mosquitoes are insane.

I am 100% a city person, but I can certainly picture myself living in any of the aformentioned cities. You can even argue that the weather in those cities are no worse than what we get in Vancouver. Yes, it gets cold everywhere in Canada except for Vancouver and Victoria, but most of those other cities aren't drenched in rainy gray skies from Oct to March either.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #3139
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
I'm used to Vancouver living, well GVRD anyways. When we were looking for a new place to call home, it had to be a place where I had readily easy access to Asian groceries, cold lemon tea and baked pork chop on rice. That put Coquitlam center ahead of places like North Van despite both of us liking the North Shore more.

Everyone's criteria is different, for us I think the only two cities in Canada would be Vancouver or Toronto. We were in Victoria last week and we liked it, but the lack of Asian food choices is a hard one to get over. Everyone is shitting on Vancouver but how many places offer the quantity and quality of cuisine we have here. Plus the mountains and water. Vancouver is expensive but so are many high tier cities in the world.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #3140

Personally I’ve never been anywhere else in the world that even comes close to the variety and quality of cuisine here. A big reason for us why it would be hard to even move to the interior etc.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #3141
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
Food variety is great and of high quality here that’s very true.

Also the water… anytime I’m anywhere else in the world I miss our tap water lol…. I’ll definitely give us that!
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #3142
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
The only place in Canada you can get as good food as van that’s cheaper to live is either Montreal or Quebec City, and you certainly aren’t getting the cultural variety we do here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #3143

Nanaimo has over 20 Sushi, 16 Chinese, 7 Indian, 6 Mexican, 5 Korean, and 4 Thai, restaurants with a population of 104k. I think we have Asian food covered.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #3144
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
How many are good though? One?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #3145

I’m sure Toronto has 10 times as many sushi places, they are all complete trash.

Quantity =/ Quality.

No one’s hitting up Surrey by the Sea for their fine dining scene.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #3146

Quote:
I’m sure Toronto has 10 times as many sushi places, they are all complete trash.

Quantity =/ Quality.

A couple of my buddies who eat a ton of sushi one who's family has owned restaurants for decades claim https://www.nanaimonori.com/ is just as good if not better than most Sushi places on the mainland.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #3147

Quote:
No they aren't! Quit talking out of your ass. As someone who lived in Toronto for several years not too long ago, I can assure you that there are several really good sushi places. Are they expensive, yes. But, they are good.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:20 PM   #3148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
No they aren't! Quit talking out of your ass. As someone who lived in Toronto for several years not too long ago, I can assure you that there are several really good sushi places. Are they expensive, yes. But, they are good.
Three of my best friends I’ve known for 20+ years have all lived in Toronto for the last 10+ years all love sushi would pay whatever to find “acceptable” quality where they live.

Two live near the beaches etc. one closer to DT, none of them ever find anything close to the Korean type sushi quality we have here (think sushi California, Sushi Nanaimo, etc.)

So sure, if you pay out the ass for some high end niche spots sure. You can say that almost anywhere. The majority of stuff they get virtually everywhere within an acceptable distance for pickup/delivery they send pics to our group chats laughing.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:46 PM   #3149
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:

Quantity =/ Quality.

I love Kaji when I was in TO, I've tried many Omakase/Fix menu places here in YVR and I've yet to come across one that's comparable in quality and price.

Here in YVR, the trend of a good Japanese restaurant is high-end materials where everything is flown-in from Japan, be it fish, uni, wagyu... etc.

But Kaji has some of that... plus sourcing many materials from say US/Can that are equally as good, if not better than what can be sourced from Japan, at least that's what the chef at Kaji told us once when we were eating there.

And you can tell he goes to great lengths to try all the different ingredients in order to bring the best there is for the customer. Hence items on the prix-fix menu are always changing, as it fits into the ingredients available at the time.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #3150

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
I personally found the food options better in Toronto, as opposed to here.

That's totally based on my personal taste though. I find Vancouver has amazing food, but it's much of the same (Chinese/Japanese), there isn't enough variety. I don't need to have 20 sushi spots in a 2KM radius. I want more Caribbean, Trini, Persian, Turkish, Greek, etc. I want affordable lunch options and late night quick to grab takeout food with variety (Vancouver is pretty bad for that).

Toronto has WAY more variety in terms of the types of cuisine, the cost, and availability. Vancouver has a very high bar when it comes to food, but at the same time restaurants close extremely early out here, and your mid-tier options are somewhat limited.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote