REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:48 AM   #3301
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
The Canada Child Care Benefit, brought in by the Liberals, is one program that has helped a lot of families. Several hundred dollars tax-free per month is a big lift. It helped us for several years in the thick of it before we became "ballers" (or "middle-class" in the Lower Mainland).
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #3302
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ader-1.6457221

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney resigns as UCP leader

Quote:
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney resigned as United Conservative Party leader Wednesday after receiving 51.4 per cent approval of his leadership from United Conservative Party members.

The result was revealed early Wednesday evening at an invitation-only event in Calgary for Kenney-friendly UCP MLAs, volunteers and supporters.
I hope he gets out of politics for good.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:16 PM   #3303
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The Canada Child Care Benefit, brought in by the Liberals, is one program that has helped a lot of families. Several hundred dollars tax-free per month is a big lift. It helped us for several years in the thick of it before we became "ballers" (or "middle-class" in the Lower Mainland).
It’s also massively frauded by immigrants where the main breadwinner lives outside of the country and leaves his housewife and kids here in a huge house with “no income” for 18 years collecting the full benefit monthly.

That’s currently $2,600 a month right now for 2 kids… or $500,000+ if they both collect for the full 18 years.

Source: I used to work in that department.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #3304
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ader-1.6457221

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney resigns as UCP leader

I hope he gets out of politics for good.
Half of his party doesn't want him because they think he's a rightwing psychopath and the other half doesn't want him because he's not enough of a rightwing psychopath. It's hilarious how divided the party is with nothing in the middle.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #3305
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
Gosh as much as I think Jason Kenney is a crazy idiot, I cringe at the thought of Rachel Notley as the Alberta Premier even more because she is an even bigger idiot.

God bless Alberta...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Gosh as much as I think Jason Kenney is a crazy idiot, I cringe at the thought of Rachel Notley as the Alberta Premier even more because she is an even bigger idiot.

God bless Alberta...
How the hell is notley a bigger idiot then kenny? Did she block people from visiting their partners in hospital who were dying of aids? Did she complain about a Netfix cartoon called bigfoot family. Did she cut healthcare cost while spending 10's of millions on a energy war room?

Alberta needs a leader that can create jobs outside the oil industry because its not going to last forever.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #3307

Not gonna argue that Kenney has a whole whack of golden moments, and while Notley probably wouldn't have pulled the same crazy antics that Kenney did, I'd hardly think she is that much smarter than Kenney. Have you forgotten her "turn off the tap" legislation against BC? The BC wine ban?

Alberta's economic track record under Notley wasn't particularly good. You can blame it on low oil prices, but I also seem to recall that the Alberta NDP government also didn't handle the recession all that well.

Also, it would be entirely unrealistic to think that any Alberta premier would not be staunchly supportive of the Alberta oil sector. The oil sector is and will continue to be Alberta's primary revenue generator in at least the short and medium term. Personally, given the stubborn ways Albertans outside of Calgary and Edmonton behaves, I am not too convinced that Alberta will see a smooth transition away from the oil and gas sector.
Quote:
Alberta needs a leader that can create jobs outside the oil industry because its not going to last forever.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #3308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Not gonna argue that Kenney has a whole whack of golden moments, and while Notley probably wouldn't have pulled the same crazy antics that Kenney did, I'd hardly think she is that much smarter than Kenney. Have you forgotten her "turn off the tap" legislation against BC? The BC wine ban?

Alberta's economic track record under Notley wasn't particularly good. You can blame it on low oil prices, but I also seem to recall that the Alberta NDP government also didn't handle the recession all that well.

Also, it would be entirely unrealistic to think that any Alberta premier would not be staunchly supportive of the Alberta oil sector. The oil sector is and will continue to be Alberta's primary revenue generator in at least the short and medium term. Personally, given the stubborn ways Albertans outside of Calgary and Edmonton behaves, I am not too convinced that Alberta will see a smooth transition away from the oil and gas sector.

The win ban was over trans mountain and BC lost the battle. Notley brought in tax credits for business in tech bringing in a number of companies. kenny ended the program. kenny bet a 1.3 billion on the US election and lost. Biden said if he won he would cancel the keystone xl pipe line. kenny still invested in the project thinking trump would win.

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...ne-xl-pipeline

Old 05-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #3309
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
The win ban was over trans mountain and BC lost the battle. Notley brought in tax credits for business in tech bringing in a number of companies. kenny ended the program. kenny bet a 1.3 billion on the US election and lost. Biden said if he won he would cancel the keystone xl pipe line. kenny still invested in the project thinking trump would win.

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...ne-xl-pipeline

Holy shit that was always a tacky magazine but now it looks like a parody of an American right wing propaganda newsletter, just with those titles
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #3310
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Homogenous group of human beings right there
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #3311

The ones left are a drug dealer and a killer lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #3312
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
And yet.. our glorious liberal leader and his NDP lap dog own a 20 billion dollar pipeline.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #3313

Are you anti pipeline now Honda? I can’t keep track.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #3314

Nah just consistent.the govt. who is Against oil, willingly devastated the industry, champion of climate change and reconciliation buys an oil sands pipeline when the private entity said it was untenable.

I’m no friend of envomentlist wackos but this does a pretty good job of outlining the lies

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/ju...-pipelines?amp
Old 05-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #3315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Nah just consistent.the govt. who is Against oil, willingly devastated the industry, champion of climate change and reconciliation buys an oil sands pipeline when the private entity said it was untenable.

I’m no friend of envomentlist wackos but this does a pretty good job of outlining the lies

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/ju...-pipelines?amp
Your upset JT spend 20 bill on a pipe that's being built. Are you not upset kenny gave a US company 1.3 bill for a pipe that biden said would not be built if he won the election?

I wonder if harpers son will get to keep his job?
Old 05-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #3316

This is insane. 800 million dollars for this new museum and they don’t have a design yet.. opening in 2030 this will surely be a billion $+ project by the end of it

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...GH9kamaSuWI6E8

At the end of the day you’re not even going to have a world class facility for that money. No one cares about the exhibits or the peices they have there.

In 2019 I went to the titanic Belfast, it’s a museum 100% dedicated to just the titanic and it blew away this museum in its entirety.

What a fucking waste of money.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #3317

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Not gonna lie, this could be a huge project for me to work on
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #3318
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
^^ you know $800 million at the planning stage = $1.2billion in actual cost. Our Provincial government has history of doing that.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #3319

Personally, I don't see a need to criticize the NDP on the Royal BC Museum issue as hard as the media and general public seem to be doing. The biggest issue I see is that it is just a slightly bad timing, and that in turn makes for poor optics. We are seeing massive inflation now, and Horgan's steady refusal to lower / suspend gas taxes are just making people angry even though it is unfair to blame global oil price fluctuations on a provincial government.

Personally, I've always enjoyed my visits to the Royal BC Museum. Does it rank among the best museums in the world? or even just within Canada? Of course it doesn't. But I have always found its exhibits interesting.

From following the news, it seems to me that the need to revamp the museum is primarily 2-fold:

- to make it seismically safer
- to address deficiencies due to wear and flood risks

Here is a picture from News 1130, courtesy of the provincial gov:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...yal-bc-museum/

I dunno about you, but all of that looks pretty bad to me.

Nobody knows when an earthquake will strike, but if last year's record rainfall hasn't gotten you concerned about flood risks and the damage they are capable of, I think you are missing the point. If a significant portion of stuff in the museum's archive and collection gets damaged, the provincial gov will get blamed for not taking any action to protect our culture.

So the way I see it is, the provincial gov is sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. They made the choice to rebuild the museum, and they are taking heat for it. But if they didn't and shxt hits the fan, they're gonna get blasted too, and I would say losing those cultural treasures is worse off than spending the money to rebuild the museum now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This is insane. 800 million dollars for this new museum and they don’t have a design yet.. opening in 2030 this will surely be a billion $+ project by the end of it

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...GH9kamaSuWI6E8

At the end of the day you’re not even going to have a world class facility for that money. No one cares about the exhibits or the peices they have there.

In 2019 I went to the titanic Belfast, it’s a museum 100% dedicated to just the titanic and it blew away this museum in its entirety.

What a fucking waste of money.

Last edited by Traum; 05-26-2022 at 09:28 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #3320
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
I would agree that there should always be some $$ for art, history, culture, etc. But I think it is the amount and the possible over run. Even with construction costs nowadays ... $800 million??!! What about $300M ... can you do one for that? And maybe put the other $500M into our broken down health care system with lack of family doctors?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #3321

Lol I installed leak detectors in that hallway! (and many other locations) because the problem is so frequent.

As someone who has been all through the nooks and crannies of that building, it's a dump.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #3322

Keep in mind, at the CURRENT budget, this would be the most expensive museum in North American History.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #3323

Of note is that $230million of that $785 million is budget for inflaction factor alone.

Also, renovating the existing museum would have been projected to cost $1.1B
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #3324

What I dislike the most about the whole thing is this conversation over a matter of months went from “What are these colonial displays doing here still?!?!”

To, let’s spend a billion+ for a new museum?..
Old 05-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #3325

The other thing is that a newer building is going to have the capacity to bring in more, higher profile exhibits. Certain exhibits (think like the mummy exhibit that came a while back) require guaranteed "AA" HVAC performance standards.

The current museum has only one exhibit space that meets this requirement (installed in '08) and it *barely* maintains this.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: