REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #3376
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
^ You can come over and drive my 1968 Mustang back to back with a 2022 Tesla and tell me auto makers haven't been forced to make cars safer.

Anything can be repurposed and used to kill something.

Guns are specifically designed for it.
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #3377
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ You can come over and drive my 1968 Mustang back to back with a 2022 Tesla and tell me auto makers haven't been forced to make cars safer.

Anything can be repurposed and used to kill something.

Guns are specifically designed for it.
Is the government forcing them or is the automaker doing it on their own free will to boost sales? Buy our car, it'll detect the car in front of you and automatically slow your car down in case you aren't able to do so in time vs every other car that makes you brake on your own!

Going off your mustang:
1968 Mustang acceleration speed 0-60mph - 8.3 seconds
2022 Tesla Model X 0-60mph - 2.3 seconds
seems as if they're doing the exact opposite of being safe there as not a single person will ever justify needing to accelerate like that.

As I write this my computer gives me a pop up
Letters: Criminals exempt from federal Liberals' new gun registry
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #3378
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Targeted ads from Saskatchewan starphoenix? I don’t think that tells you about popular opinion as much as you think it might.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #3379

Doesn't matter where the article comes from. It explains a realistic and common knowledge point that criminals don't follow gun bans or other laws for that matter which makes this a complete waste of time to target select law abiding citizens and to help gain support for himself in the next election. Remember how he was a pathetic PM? But he banned guns so you gotta vote for him! He's totally made Canada a much better place to live. The moment anyone stumps him with a question (and I guarantee you they will) he'll do what he's good at - dodge the question, change subject to "your party will bring back guns that KILL".
Old 06-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #3380
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Is the government forcing them or is the automaker doing it on their own free will to boost sales? Buy our car, it'll detect the car in front of you and automatically slow your car down in case you aren't able to do so in time vs every other car that makes you brake on your own!

Going off your mustang:
1968 Mustang acceleration speed 0-60mph - 8.3 seconds
2022 Tesla Model X 0-60mph - 2.3 seconds
seems as if they're doing the exact opposite of being safe there as not a single person will ever justify needing to accelerate like that.

As I write this my computer gives me a pop up
Letters: Criminals exempt from federal Liberals' new gun registry
As someone who has driven an 67/68 mustang and a Tesla model Y. The Tesla is magnitudes safer. Handling on the Mustang is terrible and so are the brakes. The Mustang has no ABS, ESP, airbags, 3 point seat belt and is missing a shit ton of other safety features.

Manufactures of cars and governments are always working on making cars safer. Gun manufactures are always looking at making guns more deadly.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #3381

2.2 million people in canada are licensed firearm owners. IIRC you don’t need to register hunting rifles currently? If that’s the case then at 2.2 million legal handgun owners in canada, how many of those people are staunch conservatives? I’d bet 90% anyway. Trudeau isn’t risking public policy disaster that people believe he might be.
It’s reasonable to draw a line for what you can have for fun, weighed with public risk. I’m sure there’s lots of people who’d love to go to the bazooka range for sport, but that’s over the line. Maybe a new line is going to be drawn.
We all agree people shooting people aren’t following laws if they go shoot someone, but it’s easier to get an illegal gun if there are more legal guns. Theft, sales, etc.
That’s the thing about the shootings in America with “illegal guns.” Most of the time they were legal a few weeks before that.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #3382
Performance Moderator

How can you be on a car site and not know about NHTSA or Transport Canada… I mean they don’t even let you keep using wrong way facing headlights on RHD imports… require multiple submissions of vehicles for crash testing before approval… recalls for harmful or serious build errors… pop up headlights are gone because of pedestrian safety rules. Heck, you can’t even buy the top model Camaro in Europe because it has CF canards on the front and they say it can slice a persons leg.

Could go on and on for days how much intervention the governments of many countries make. Car manufacturers wouldn’t put shit into their cars if they didn’t have to. They don’t want to put expensive materials in to lighten them after safety features bogged them down or develop new engines that don’t kill the environment and meet emissions standards etc etc
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2022, 12:34 PM   #3383
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
if automakers put safety features in cars to make them more desirable then they would have them as options, not as standard equipment.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #3384

Quote:
How can you be on a car site and not know about NHTSA or Transport Canada… I mean they don’t even let you keep using wrong way facing headlights on RHD imports… require multiple submissions of vehicles for crash testing before approval… recalls for harmful or serious build errors… pop up headlights are gone because of pedestrian safety rules. Heck, you can’t even buy the top model Camaro in Europe because it has CF canards on the front and they say it can slice a persons leg.

Could go on and on for days how much intervention the governments of many countries make. Car manufacturers wouldn’t put shit into their cars if they didn’t have to. They don’t want to put expensive materials in to lighten them after safety features bogged them down or develop new engines that don’t kill the environment and meet emissions standards etc etc
Once upon a time, many years ago, I used to like playing with cars/bikes. Not so much now. I'm here because I know several people which is really what keeps me kicking around. Your statement goes hand in hand, how can you argue about guns and safety when you know nothing about them other than "guns kill".

But you're right. How can I be on a car forum when I know absolutely 0 about cars. Perhaps I'll take what it seems to be that you're hinting at and sign out.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #3385

Haha you don’t need to be that sensitive about what was a ridiculous comment. For someone that thinks knowledge about guns should be common sense, it seems reasonable for him to imply that safety standards on cars are common sense. A lot more people drive than go to the gun range.
I don’t even own a gun, never mind many guns which would necessitate a rack?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #3386
Performance Moderator

I’m not saying that at all… it just seemed somewhat obvious to me, sorry if my tone came off the wrong way.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #3387

pierre poilievre's new campain ad.

Spoiler!
Old 06-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #3388
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
I can only imagine the green haired welfare bug that creates memes like that
Old 06-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #3389
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,912 Posts
Well ... let's see what happens in ON today ...
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #3390
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Probably not much different in value to society as those creating memes like this.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #3391

Oh I agree I think if you’re sitting at a computer making these political memes with some sort of borderline obsession you’ve definitely gone off no matter the side lol
Old 06-02-2022, 10:38 PM   #3392
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,912 Posts
Ontario votes for another Conservative majority, an even bigger one. NDP lost seats, Liberals got trounced and both leaders resigned.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #3393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Hey, my hair is not green. How is that meme and different from the countless memes of facebook about JT and Singh?
Old 06-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #3394
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
The province recorded the lowest voter turnout in history during the 2022 election, with just about 43.5 per cent of eligible voters casting a ballot according to preliminary Elections Ontario results.

Of the just over 10.7 million registered voters in the province, this equals just over 4.6 million votes cast.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:12 PM   #3395
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Totally curious who is rushing out to buy a new handgun? I was initially having mad FOMO and was trying to get one but as much as I want one (I have no handguns but do other firearms) I'm anticipating with the current landscape that the next Vancouver Mayor will just ban handguns and I'm back to wasting money for nothing again. Sigh what to do.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #3396

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
The province recorded the lowest voter turnout in history during the 2022 election, with just about 43.5 per cent of eligible voters casting a ballot according to preliminary Elections Ontario results.

Of the just over 10.7 million registered voters in the province, this equals just over 4.6 million votes cast.
I predict the lowest turnout we’ve seen in recent memory for the next federal election as well. Everybody dislikes whoever’s in power and we are left with no viable alternatives, so it’s easy to throw your hands up and just say who fuckin cares.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #3397
Performance Moderator

Yah regardless of what your leanings are, people on both sides can probably agree they're legit done with politics and politicians these days.

I am not qualified or smart enough to say what the alternative is tho...
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #3398
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Totally curious who is rushing out to buy a new handgun? I was initially having mad FOMO and was trying to get one but as much as I want one (I have no handguns but do other firearms) I'm anticipating with the current landscape that the next Vancouver Mayor will just ban handguns and I'm back to wasting money for nothing again. Sigh what to do.
I'm tempted to sell my CZ shadow 2 since its never been fired and dont have a good hunting rifle yet
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #3399

Quote:
I am not qualified or smart enough to say what the alternative is tho...
Guns?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #3400

This is nice, $93,000 in catering on canadas airforce one to get to the Dubai expo for pointless purposes:

https://apple.news/AF46HiN9KQdaESaGrKDNAQg